Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf GTE

• 03-12-2023 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here own or used to own a VW Golf GTE? Currently own an old diesel and thinking of going electric or at least a hybrid of some description. I like the Mk7 Golf and am interested in the GTE. All the ones for sale here seem to be black or white for some reason. Seems to be impossible to get one with a sunroof too. I was just wondering what they were like to live with on a daily basis and what kind of range you get out of them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭User1998

Owned 3 of them. Summer maybe 35km or so. Winter close to half that. They are a very nice car. The 7.5 model with digital dash and upgraded centre screen is particularly nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I was looking for a mk7.5 alright. Seems like poor range. Are they economical in general?

Depends how often you charge it. I think they do 50mpg on the motorway with a dead battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its the total mileage, say 100 km @ 50 mpg (5.65 L), then another 100 km over a week on electric, your average is now 100mpg (2.8 L /100km) + electricity.

Even a 100 km trip with 30 km on electric works out as 70 mpg + electricity, charge at destination and its 125 mpg + electric.

You need to work out your electric trips, more you charge and drive on electricity the better the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eltoastero

I was trying to find the old GTE forum where I posted some of my efficiency stats (couldn't find it) but this is what I had in donedeal blurb when I sold my 2015 GTE:

Max electric range 47km (warm weather, flat ground, driving like a saint).

Genuine range of 25km - 30km in winter or 35km - 40km in summer (8.8kWh battery). Max charging rate of 3.6kW.

Hybrid range of 500km - 600km on a full charge and tank of petrol. (See one picture showing 938km between petrol fills).

Mixed long term petrol consumption over 2750km of 4L/100km (70mpg).

Best/favourite car I've owned

• Advertisement

Any idea why the GTE never came with a sunroof? Also I heard none come with spare wheel, that would kind of annoy me a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

THere is the eTSI PHEV version too with a less powerful electric motor (or software limited). Comes in Style Trim. I have a 2021 version. They are quite rare. I went in to the dealer expecting to order a GTE but they had the eTSI PHEV there and then so got that instead. The 1.4L ICE engine and the ~13kWh battery are the same in both. In summer if I switch everything off I can get >50km on the battery. In winter, again with loads of clothes on and an unpleasantly cold cabin maybe 35km. The heater kills the range to mid to high 20s. No spare wheel, just one of those useless gloop kits and a compressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Yeah I have the MK8 GTE which is theoretically less efficient than the regular eHybrid (eTSI is the mild hybrid branding), due to a slightly sportier setup, uprated motor, larger wheels etc. However the range I get is about the same, I drive in eco mode though most of the time. Highest I ever got was 69km of EV driving in the middle of the summer. Can't say I've ever gotten less than 35km in the winter. Year round average is probably 50-55km. Always run the AC to 19°c.

The MK7.5 honestly has a classier interior I feel, the only compromise is the smaller battery reducing the range (probably an older inefficient electric motor too).

The MK8.5 PHEV models out next year are supposed to be swapping to the newer 1.5TSI and increasing the battery capacity again so might be worth a look.

Is it true the GTE plug-in hyrbid is roughly as efficient as the regular hybrid? I was thinking of getting a regular hyrbid but just assumed the plug-in would be better. I heard there was a lot of issues with the mk8 Golf in terms of the infotainment system etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

The infotainment unit in the the Mk8 eTSI PHEV took some getting used to. There have been and continue to be OTA software updates so it has improved over the nearly 3 years I have had it. I think it's the same as the GTE. It is pretty crap though and not user friendly.. The touch sensitive buttons beneath the TFT display are really awful and not backlit. They are supposed to be fixing this in the Mk8.5. My car has mechanical buttons on the steering wheel so I haven't had the issues the cars with touch screen buttons have.

• Advertisement

It did come with the option of a sunroof. I’ve soon them. Check the UK you’ll find a few. Its a Golf, nobody specs a sunroof on a Golf apart from maybe the highest spec GTI’s or R’s.

Hybrids don’t come with spare wheels, and neither do most new cars anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

probably a little less efficient, its 60 kg heavier, the economy comes from trips in EV mode, I have a 2 series phev, 1200 km motorway trips, 5000km short and medium trips, mostly school runs(150km a week) and weekly shopping, I am on 1.4 l/100km and 16.4 kwh/100km, do enough of the short trips it brings your average way down.

Efficiency figures have been explained above. It all depends on how often you charge the car. I’d argue its less efficient than a regular hybrid if you don’t charge it. But if your willing to charge it every day and don’t do long journeys you can easily go 3 or 4 months without putting fuel in it.

I think at one point I didn’t put fuel in it for 6 months, just using what I had left from bringing it back from the UK.

This is the kind of spec I'm looking for but it's a mk8 and not a GTE

Used 2020 Volkswagen Golf R-LINE ETSI DSG #12 in Dublin (carzone.ie)

Tbh it's not much more expensive than what you'd pay for a mk7.5 GTE.

Thats lovely. Not much difference cosmetically between that and the mk8 GTE. mk8 GTE has 100bhp more tho I think.

This just came up for sale near me. Seems high spec and low enough mileage. Was a UK car originally but the seller doesn't know much about its history other than what service history comes with the car. I love that colour.

Volkswagen Golf GTE High Spec ! 2018 (182) for sale in Co. Cork for €23,950 on DoneDeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That colour is quite marmite. Officially known as “black rubin” but definitely not black. More purple or even brown. Local dealers had a GTI in it and it sat for a very long time.

Its the least desirable colour in them. They always sell dirt cheap at auction in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I wanted a 7.5 GTE but until recently they were very overpriced. The software is limited also. But it does has buttons which I much prefer. Lovely to drive too.

The extra range of the newer car I would like if I was getting one. I don't like the touch interface though. But might live with it for the better range and newer software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Awful colour on it but it does have a leather interior where most of them have cloth seats. Would you not consider an e-Golf Executive instead ? You’ld easily get a 2020 one with tiny mileage for similar money. Has pretty much the same spec and visually very similar.

• Advertisement

eGolf is has very short range. Only viable for someone who almost never does long trips in it.

2017 onwards has a bigger battery with ok range. 200km or so I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I think the Golf had a smaller batter than the Passat.

My Passat GTE was great, 45or so km in the Summer, 35 or so in winter. I'd get a couple of thousand of km in a tank with my approx 40km commute.

It was so much better than my old Mercedes PHEV. Awful range on that.

From experience you wont get near that in winter. Which is fine if you're just pottering around a city and charging at home. Might get it in summer.

Of course its  a CCS connector up to 40kW, which gives 20-80% charge in around 54 minutes. Which usefully extends it a bit, quickly enough.

Yes, 200Km would be more of a year round average. Winter was typically 180Km and Summer nearer 240Km on the 2020 one I had. Great fun to drive though. If the OP needs a Golf for regular long journeys, I’d be going for a GTD rather than a GTE.

My commute is about 22kms each way, so about 50kms a day. I'd do a good bit of driving on my days off around the place. I'd say I'd get good use out of the GTE. Currently driving a 2.0d Volvo, spent about 3700 euro on diesel last year.

This has come up for sale in exactly the spec/year I am looking for. I'm a bit wary of the dealer though...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-4-tsi-gte-advance-dsg-pan-roof/36581072

It would be appear to be a pretty mint but high mileage ex-UK car. I’d suggest spending a few quid on a “car vertical” or similar check using it’s UK registration. That dealer appears to trade in all sorts. Sometimes they have some mega miles cars like ex-taxis which would lead me to believe the miles might be honest on their stock. It’s unlikely they’ll give you anything more than a 3 month warranty or some Mapfre rubbish. HV battery is probably the big risk on one of these. This one in N.I might be better value if VRT/Customs isn’t crazy on it. https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Volkswagen-Golf-1-4-TSI-GTE-5dr-DSG-338998372

Advertisement