Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They will never get Odessa,and it's not going to be handed to the Russians as part of any negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if forced as a betting man I would stay with the borders as they are currently and indeed Russia wont be given anything they havnt taken but the risks for 2024 has to be Russia taking more land than Ukraine getting more of theirs back, I bet that the Russian navy being humbled to say the least by Ukraine will sting and they will have noticed that their port in Sevastopol isnt worth a damn if Ukraine can just send sea drones and others from that side

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The problem with this idea is Russia is still moving forward despite the losses, despite the claims of them have no money,no men ,no ammunition,no artillery, artillery barrels, missles or drones , despite this all been regularly claimed on here for nearly 3 years, and now we have political infighting between zelensky and Valery Zaluzhny and three countries currently blockading Ukrainian trucks carrying supplies there's literally thousands of trucks stuck going nowhere in Poland, Slovakia,and Hungary with possibly more going to start,they are absolutely reliant on those trucks getting into Ukraine, something needs to change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

As usual, the answer is more weapons. Also, Hungary and Turkey need to straighten their moral compass.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Coming up to 2 years, not 3. The 3 day Russian special military operation started on 24-02-2022.

• Advertisement

is this a case of Schrodinger's Putin? all knowing super villain who can tap your brain but at the same time couldnt read the room internally or externally concerning major events in the last few years.

Its funny you mention China, the country that literally has a brain interface in to the western public via TiikTok ,where they can force trend points of view that they want amplified.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's also no point in a negotiated settlement as russia has been verifiably shown to break it's own deals and treaties every single time. It's just stupid nonsense spouted by idiots because they're idiots or because they have an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Submarine appears to be under tow heading for Sevastopol.

A large drone attack on Crimea last night with 40 drones reported by the Russians.

Reports of military installations hit in vicinity of Kerch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

I doubt that the West will give up support for Ukraine, because even if Putin does win in Ukraine, guess who's next?? And then we will have a war in Europe. And as for the US. and apart from all the white noise with an election looming, the US military know full well that Putin is at war with the US as well, in the propaganda war, interference in the elections etc. not to mention Putin's active helping enemies of the US. and all of that before you even begin to talk about the massive US Military / Industrial element, which is generating millions for the US economy. Plus, reducing Russian military might, without a single American lost in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And they must be thinking if and when China decide to invade Taiwan it’s much better that Russia is crippled as a military force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Field east

I find it perplexing that all the talk is about what is happening on the front lines with Russia making gains here and there - however small. And it is continuall y trying to seek out where UKr is ‘weak’ and exploit same. Also, that with all the talk of Ru running out of ammunition, low moral, poor clothes, etc, etc that it is still advancing bombing and firing away.

There is little or no talk of the damage that UKr is doing behind the Ru lines which , I think, is the real war, in the long term , is at. This directly attack the Ru supply/soldier rotation lines. So , IMO , what’s the point in gaining small footholds here and there and then trying to defend them while losing 1000s through death and injury and then left stranded because of totally insufficient lines. The only option is for the Ru soldiers to turn around and go home IFTHEY ARE ALLOWED or surrender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

Youre point is that you think that Putin (russia) is super competent at manipulating world affairs and populations but I dont think that stands up because the Russians (putin) have clearly made a lot of mistakes along the way and not anticipated events that affect them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

The west is slowly getting rolling. Germany has announced that it will double it's output for this year for example. Most European countries understand that this is not just about Ukraine. Poland have absolutely zero interest in having a Russia controlled Ukraine on their East.

And the Baltics simply cannot afford the current Russian empires full attention in its current state. That isn't going to change.

The only ..... stress the only hope that Russia get to maintain the territory that they've stolen is that America becomes bored and isolated or votes in another Trump. But even that isn't a guaranteed loss. Nobody really knows what he'd do. There's lots of der jerbs and contracts tied to this war across the southern Americans states now.

Keeping in mind that America stayed in Afghanistan for years without popular support and despite a plethora of negative press. Politics centered around military affairs do , to a large degree, operate independently of the public support and clickbait negative news headlines.

I still believe strongly this vote will be called to supply Ukraine for 2024. But it's probably gonna be an ugly few weeks politically in Congress. As Johnson tries to walk the line of getting Israel aid separately and Ukraine lumped in with border security without getting the McCarthy treatment from the radical Republicans. How much money will be voted on and how soon is the question. Any significant delays could cost Ukraine territory and lives.

How the war goes next year is pure guesswork and anyone who tells you otherwise is talking shite. Who would've guessed that Ukraine would even last the first few weeks against the Russian behemoth? Who'd have guessed that Ukraine would blitz back large chunks of its territory in Luhansk. Or that the black sea fleet would be cowering from a few suicide drone boats and storm shadows? Or that Prigozhin would enact a full blown mutiny on Moscow? How about Russias primary rail artery to China and N. Korea crippled for the near future?

How long can Russia reliably throw 1k men per day to their deaths for a tiny suburb of Donetsk for example? Don't you think Putin would call for another mobilization in a heartbeat if he could? Why hasn't he? Perhaps he knows that support for this war back home is more brittle than it appears?

There's so many variables and potential surprises and to date few of the biggest surprises have been in Russia's favor.

It's not certain but I really don't think Ukraine is doomed to be hung out to dry.

That's overly simplistic nonsense in fairness. Every major power breaks treaties when it suits them. Look no further to our nearest neighbour to the east. And almost (if not literally) every military conflict ends up in either absolute victory for one side or a negotiated settlement. It's all about timing.

Some people are able to discuss the concept of a negotiated settlement without an agenda. I've already said that calls for Ukraine to sue for peace now make no sense, but there's no need for the hyperbole.

No. That wasn't my point at all. Again with the over-simplification of things. I've no intention of wasting my time with reductionist arguments... "Ukraine pure... Russians evil... USA mighty... Russia puny".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

There are tectonic plates advancing faster than the Russian army. This war has demonstrated that unless you have powerful allies, wars of conquest are a bloody stupid idea. 80 years after the failed artist devastatingly demonstrated the very same.

You are arguing that Putin could alter politics in Ireland and elsewhere, how is that not painting him as a far bigger figure than he really is?

Indeed, the odds have shifted heavily in the favor of defenders, at this stage and learning lessons, Ireland could put up a credible defense to a hypothetical invasion from Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The only type of settlement that could work involves NATO membership for Ukraine to ensure there are no more lines to encroach, this is likely what we'll get but it will be forced on the russians.

Your whataboutery makes no sense in this context as we have literally every other defined border on the planet as an example of treaties working.

You are also playing into a contrarians/putinbots hands (which is the modus operandi for that poster), but you can ponder that bit alone (I see you have encroached their web already).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Every war either ends in total victory or negotiation... apart from the ones that don't? Like Korea?

"Overly simplistic nonsense". Your words.

Russia has repeatedly broken the security treaties with Ukraine such as Budapest, which are directly relevant to the current conflict.

They haven't even withdrawn the troops from Moldova they promised to withdraw 20 years ago.

NATO has broken no treaties with Russia in the region.

Russia has shown, repeatedly, that in Eastern Europe it respects no treaty. The only thing is respects is military force, as represented by NATO.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Putin has had a relative impact on foreign politics, discourse and elections as part of Russian doctrine (troll factories, meddling, sowing division, etc).

You only have to look at this site to see how many posters in these threads prior to invasion were systematically promoting Kremlin propaganda and talking points. Crimea, Donbas, Syria, "NATO encirclement", "Russia is not a threat" and so on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Putin has achieved population decline, currency devaluation and the elimination of a competitive advantage with easy gas and oil sales into Europe. Add on significant military decline as well. If the trend continues Russia’s main trading partner by the end of this decade will be China. Russia will have a whole new set of problems if that happens. Not sure what negotiations mean in the context of Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

unless Britain had the backing or guarantee of non interference from the US and EU they’d be at nothing invading Ireland . Could happen under a Conor McGregor type regime in which case I’d support an invasion myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You’d argue with your toenails. What I stated is fact, and directly related to the post I quoted where you either got it wrong, or deliberately exaggerated. It is exactly 1 year, 9 months, and 11 days (12 if including today).

thats different, any conflict will generate 2 sets of opinions, thats not the same as the Russians causing general mayhem in the west across several political topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its the same pro russian or anti western talking points manifesting and circulating. They are not independent opinions in many cases.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Putin uses a variety of methods to impact international elections, politics and meddle in other countries.

One of those methods is various forms of propaganda. I was highlighting one microcosm of that as an example of the impact of propaganda (Boards.ie). It wasn't hard to notice the uptick here. The fringe left and far right are incredibly easy groups to manipulate, they are also very vocal online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement