Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Moore started all last season. He's just back from knee surgery. At least he can scrum, which is something that Leinster seem to have problems with. It's not clear that Moore cannot start! Healy could start, play 20 mins and then be subbed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Marty Moore only had 9 starts all last season, with 2 sub appearances

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He wouldn't be an upgrade. Leinster are in difficulty at the scrum in about small percentage of their games at the top end of European/URC rugby. Moore would absolutely be an improvement in that regard. But he would be a big downgrade on his work/presence around the park. A tighthead has to be able to make tackles and get to rucks around the park. If he can't do that, he's a liability.

I know we've discussed it before but I can't find any better example than his cameo against the NZ XV last autumn. The NZ try from 10mins 30 seconds in. Moore is No. 18 in midfield. He's on the field about 15 minutes at that stage. He was fully fit at that stage of the season. We cannot carry that sort of mobility or lack thereof. We would have to be consciously looking to protect him defensively throughout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

People (mostly Dub...) really need to 1) adjust their expectations on Ala'alatoa or 2) have the same expectations over any other player that would realistically replace them.

Ala'alatoa has done EXACTLY what we need of him. He's come in to play second fiddle to Tadgh Furlong and shore things up off the bench in Europe all the while manning the fort while Tadgh is away.

YES his moment of madness in the final blotted his copy book slightly.

Let's not forget he played 1100+ minutes last season and the season before. Those are insanely high numbers for a prop whose only really ever going to play max 60 minutes.

Simply put. We needed a NIQ player whose predominantly fit and can do it on a rainy night in Newport as well as coming off the bench on the biggest stage.

He has done this. Not perfectly. But much better than other players of his profile would have.

Leinsters scrummaging issues clearly goes beyond his ability. He is a good scrummager capable of going toe to toe with the top 4 teams in Europe and usually getting parity.

Do you honestly think Marty Moore will be an upgrade on this? Why? When has Moore shown he's at this level? The last run he got top tier knock out games was coming off the bench against us in the Pro14 Final 2020 which they lost and then starting against Toulouse in the CC QF the next week which they also lost.

Moore hasn't gotten close to that 1000+ minutes mark we'd need out of him since 20/21 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Leinster have scrum issues irregardless of who is at prop.. serious questions have to be asked about how poor the set piece has gotten under McBryde.

it would be very funny if we swapped michael for his brother Allan

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't understand why Leinster would sign Marty Moore tbh. He's a passenger in open play, a cost that Ulster have to pay because we really need his scrummaging.

I am hoping that this is the season when TOT overtakes him to become first choice in the big games when we have scrum concerns.

I would be amazed if Leinster can't find someone much better out there without breaking the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Great post and clip to show it. Not pretty viewing for Moore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

An alternative is to switch Porter over

I don't think it would be fair to ask Porter to switch back to THP as he said it was a lot of work to convert from LHP to THP, then more work to convert back again, so to ask him to convert a third time would be unfair.

Leinster can find a short term NIQ solution, or Aungier if he'll be a free agent next summer, for a couple of years until McGuire or Clarkson hopefully hit their peak.

That is a poor look. No doubt Marty isn't the most mobile. You make good points and perhaps I am harsh on Big Mike. But surely, we all see that Leinster need strength at the scrum?

Whoever they do sign, hopefully is an upgrade. Does anyone think that Clarlson will get to a level where he can slot into the side in a European qualifier? I don't know. I think he could get there eventually. To date, he's been middling and inconsistent. It would be nice if he does improve week on week.

You're probably right. It would be a difficult ask. Porter is talented enough to do it, imo.

The schedule is such that Clarkson and McGuire won't play for the next while. The opportunities for them are few.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Leinster are probably going to think long and hard about the forward line of Leinster. They honestly have a few routes they can take, but I think only one suits Leinster and Ireland long term.

I could easily see Nienaber and Leo moving both Andrew Porter and Tadhg Furlong to the bench next season and supercharging the pack towards the end of games. This protects the bodies of Porter and Furlong for club and country and a bench weakness becomes a bench strength. You fast track someone like Jack Boyle and you bring in a quality TH who can start. Ireland and Leinster desperately need another loosehead and if you can give additional minutes to the most promising LH talent since Cian Healy and Andrew Porter, it probably would make sense to give the young man additional minutes in larger games. If Leinster can land a quality TH on a two year deal, someone like Trevor Nyakane who at a pinch can cover the loosehead if needed too.

You bring in Nyakane and JP du Preez and Leinster are a vastly stronger team.

Ot won't be long for Boyle. He'll be a regular player soon enough. With Milne alongside him, we're grand. Getting Milne back will help. I thought Milne would make the step up this season. It's a pity he's injured.

Bench if we go 6-2 again this weekend I wonder.

Kelleher, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Jenkins, Baird, Foley, Frawley, Penny

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If we go 6-2 again (which I really hope we don't) they better actually use the 6 on the bloody bench. We have the absolute worst of both worlds at the moment.

Both Ross and Osborne have had procedures done. New years time frame for Ross. None given for Jamie. Just that he's unavailable this week.

Given it's a shoulder injury you'd imagine months not weeks though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Moloney is ahead of Jenkins for 2nd row.

Ordinarily I do agree with that. And I've been a big fan of Ross for a number of years.

I can just see us fighting fire with fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'm not sure Jenkins is exactly fire.. saying that maybe jenkins covers more positions with 2nd row and 6 at a push.. where moloney just covers 2nd row.

Less so fire with fire and more power with power (read in Jeremy Clarksons voice)

Both are exclusively second rows in the context of this game I feel.

But whichever way you slice it Jenkins is a more powerful athlete. I'd feel more comfortable bringing Jenkins on to add ballast to scrum and maul.

Having said that he did not bring any of that when he came on in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Heading to the Leicester game in January. Anyone know what stand/area most of the Leinster fans might potentially be congregating? OLSC doesn't have much info yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think you probably want Ryan and McCarthy staying on the pitch as long as possible, maybe even the full 80 minutes for both. Even fresh off the bench, Molony, Jenkins or Baird is likely to be a downgrade, which calls into question the value of the 6-2 split if you ask me.

Bad news re: Osborne. Several weeks I would guess.

Soroka back training. Still no Luke!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Still no Lowe is the bigger concern at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Osborne has no luck. He'd be a Leinster starter by now if he could remain injury free.

• Advertisement

Him and Tommy for sure.

You'd think that this shoulder injury is an 8-10 weeker absolutely BEST case scenario which puts him back right around the time of the 6 Nations.

If he put some strong performances in Europe he'd absolutely be on Farrells radar. Can't see how he gets a look in now.

While I don't think Ireland should be starting a large rebuild just yet for the next RWC cycle, adding someone like Osborne to the 23 shirt would be a perfect way of getting new blood in. Poor fella

Advertisement