Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is being done to address the M50 problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

What will happen is they'll make it so difficult and so expensive to drive you'll be forced to look at alternatives. Until that happens people will just use their cars.

On a different subject, a folding bike solves the problems of nowhere to leave a bike. That's a game changer for multi modal journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

An electric moped with removable battery would easily manage that in 20 minutes on the R roads. More economical, less expensive and better for climate change than a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tibia

Once the number of vehicles on the road passes some critical number, the traffic flow reduces dramatically. To maintain acceptable performance (incidents notwithstanding), it is necessary to limit the number of vehicles on the road. Only a certain number of slots are available on the road at any one time. Introduce a booking system where people reserve a slot for their vehicle at their chosen time. Enter the motorway +/- so many minutes of your booking. Increased tolls for those who arrive with no booking or outside of their booked slot.

I doubt such a measure would be popular. Would probably create horrendous traffic on other roads. But the M50 would be largely free-flowing

I doubt anyone travelling at peak has other options.

They'd need to encourage staggered school and work starts to lighten peak traffic.

You'd get the same effect far less complicated by putting a toll on the road that increases and increases depending on time of day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Good for you to live a short walking distance from a reliable bus stop and have a travel schedule and destination that matches that bus.

Now imagine you got a job that wasn't on the same bus route.

"hey guys, you know how the issue is the road is overcrowded and there is no alternative routes? Lets stop people using the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why would you choose a job that was a nightmare to travel to? especially in this economy where people have options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They need another route that connects the n7 to n4 to the n3. Eastern bypass would be a hugely shorter route for traffic to north /south of city than current m50 route.

Effectively though congestion is just going to worsen. The city is a sprawling car dependent mess ... unless they put in a proper transport system and making driving significantly more expensive... but that is not going to happen ...

What I think will happen is that the traffic will just get so much worse in time that a lot of people will start taking things into their own hands and using electric mopeds, electric bikes, doing some of their journey by e-scooter etc. This is already happening. It wont be an option for many but a friend of mine has to drive to work in D2 from Mountmellick a couple of times a week, leaves his car somewhere near the Red Cow and cycles in from there.

• Advertisement

People living beside public transport options, and choosing a job also with public transport options, doesn't always happen by accident.

Of course sometimes you don't have a choice.

Of course some just want to drive. In which case no one's stopping you. You just won't always be the priority.

As you say it's already happening.

As this thread is about the M50. It's only going to get worse. I think it's being unrealistic to think it will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The reality is that nothing is being done to address the M50 problem. They won't widen the M50, they won't build parallel routes and they won't run public transport with a comparable travel time and little will be done to promote park and ride.

Yeah it's requires a level of foresight and planning Ireland has never really demonstrated. Dunno if that's due to the political system or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Safe, cheap Park N Ride areas dotted around major M50 junctions with priority Bus lanes into the city centre/industrial parks is the best option, Priority bus lanes and Bus lane cameras with 3 points and €120 fines. Expansion of M50 toll that starts at the M1 flyover and ends at Bray so everyone pays a fee to use the M50 and use the funds to pay for additional P N'R...

Building more motorways just isn't an option and not compatible with any new environmental requirements either..

The M50 does not have have capacity to accommodate all those who wish to travel at peak times while maintaining reasonable journey times. Either increase the capacity of the road or reduce the number of people using it at peak times by whatever means (increased tolls, off-peak incentives, alternative routes, alternative means of transport, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know a few people who did this, with kids going to the posher schools in town, dropped off by the parents on their way to work. They were rightly screwed when Covid and WFH landed, having to do the same commute with the kids and then working from home anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭left_hander

Nothing will be done with the M50 because anything that is done will encourage more people to use it and have a good, miserable time.

What needs to happen is an orbital train route serving the major industrial estates (e.g. Cherrywood/Sandyford right up to the airport and the ones in Swords even, link to the Luas and Metro either end) and also having stops at major residential (e.g. Lucan, Blanchardstown, etc) and shopping centres on the way. Especially with Cherrywood being the latest place being developed to add to the commuting misery if nothing is done. If you could get on in south Dublin and get a train to work, to the airport, or to a shopping centre, I bet many people would take that over sitting in traffic on the M50.

I bet the cost would be probably prohibitive too and I don't know if it would be physically possible at parts of the route. But I bet one thing, if it was quicker than using the M50 and planned properly it would finance itself in no time.

The other big thing the government need to do is massively incentivise working from home with grants, etc for companies who do allow it for all their staff, all the time. This will take the pressure off public transport and Dublin and lead to more balanced regional development. The problem is, every motorist is a source of revenue even if they are also a source of CO2 emissions as well.

There wont be an orbital train line any time this century though. The more you look at it the more you realise we just have to start using more things that aren't cars on the roads within the M50, bikes and ebikes, mopeds and motorbikes are really going to be the only realistic options for a lot of people going forward, as the M50 will be far worse in 10 years than it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭left_hander

Well yeah - there won't be because we just don't think big enough quickly enough. We get too bogged down in satisfying every NIMBY to get anything done. Most other countries could probably build such infrastructure in a few years, we'd still be arguing over the route in 3 years.

Agree with you in everything else!

• Advertisement

Incidentally, tolls on the M50 are set to increase across the board from January:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭MrRigsby

if all the uninsured, unlicensed, no tax , non roadworthy or disqualified cars and drivers were taken off the road it would greatly reduce traffic volume . Very easy to do with ANPR technology etc if the guards and that waste of oxygen McEntee could be bothered to do their jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I lived in the city centre for years, never needed a car and barely used public transport. Only started using public transport when I moved to the suburbs.

I did imagine it, and turned down those roles for that reason. People do have agency over their own lives and can make decisions for themselves. Many often don't, or don't take everything into their decisions. Any time I've rented or bought a place to live, public transport availability to where I want to go has always been a large consideration.

I always used to see them and feel sorry for the kids. A commute at that age and being miles away from their friends all the time.

I was in China recently and EVERYONE has an electric moped that's limited to 50kph.

If the government brought in some laws surrounding this sort of vehicle then it would go some way to get people out of their cars. Something less restrictive than current motorbike laws would be ideal. If we can get someone on an electric bike onto the road with zero training maybe there could be some leeway.

Santry to Sandyford is not even 20km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As already mentioned, making public transport free isn't the massive incentive it might initially appear. To make public transport appealing, it needs to be quick and reliable. To make it quick and reliable, you need to a number of things but primarily ensure that bus lanes are kept 100% from drivers in private cars or vans. To do this you need enforcement by a policing body that sees this kind of driving as a problem 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Wasn't the tolls to be phased out when the building costs were paid off? (over 25 year or so). As I recall from when they were introduced..

Ebikes require the user to pedal and they're limited to 25kph. Very limited torque.

Is that really a big issue for doing journeys around the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭1percent

Carnage on the M50 Northbound this evening again. The one day I decide to drive rather than get the train from Maynooth. I'm starting to think that these bad drivers are environmental 5th columnists bent on causing commuting chaos to make us car drivers capitulate and take public transport.

I guess I can always use the tinfoil from my sandwiches to make a very fashionable headdress 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Realistic things that should be done, all achievable in the short term <12 months bar Metro integration of course.

1. Full Smart Motorway implementation. Legislate for and activate the legal variable speed limits, and rigidly enforce with cameras every 500m. (as an aside, this is purely for peak flow, speed limit is and should remain 100km/h and in fact should be increased to 130km/h or normal European speed limit for motorways during the night, except perhaps the narrower windier Southern Cross Route (J12 to J14).
    2. Enforce misuses of the motorway other than speed. Failure to keep left, incorrect use of the Aux lane, leaving and rejoining to dodge traffic, slowing or stopping becasue you missed your exit or failed to change lane early enough.
    3. Per-junction tolling. Disincentive toll dodging by removing the toll from a single point by adopting a flat fee per junction or per km. €3 or €4 to travel the entire length from the Tunnel to M11 sounds about right, and pro-rate of course for shorter journeys. Reduce this by 25% for registered tags as is currently the case, reduce by an additional 25% for PHEV and 50% for BEV. This also disincentivises the use of the motorway for short hops that don't currently include J6-7. Remove infrastructure for in store payments, force it online only to save running costs. Remove tag infrastructure, use cameras.
    4. Park and Rides at key junctions. This one requires some supporting infrastructure from other agencies in terms of infrastructure and increased frequencies to Luas / Train / Bus so let's strictly stick to what would be achievable in the short term. New, larger or upgraded / fit for purpose P&R facilities would be suitable at J18, J14, J11, J7 (all Luas & Bus), J7/9 (Rail and later DART+ at Parkwest & possibly to include a Junction 8), J6 (Rail and later DART+ at Navan Road). Later, Ballymun for the Metro in time). Also Bray for Rail, just out of scope to the south. Almost every junction benefits from high freqency bus service too, it doesn't have to be rail or tram for P+R.

It is if you want to take people out of their cars.

You're not going to convince someone to step out of their car for a slightly faster push bike. A moped that can do 50kph is no more expensive than an ebike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

if they got rid of the tolls it would put more cars on that section of the m50. Not suggesting that’s the only reason but currently it’s not feasible to get rid of tolls.

on the broader conversation until we have better PT then it’s difficult to get people to switch. We can only use the carrot and stick approach once we have a carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We live in rural countryside and the school is a 2.4km commute with no bus available. We do a 3-4 minute drive or 4 or 5 kids might meet up and cycle. Likewise if ours get dropped in we might grab a neighbour and their bike if it's raining. The other kids in our kids class live up to 1km away but they have no problem keeping in touch and meeting up to play as has been done for hundreds of years.

I've a close cousin living in a town in a semi-d and they don't know the neighbour in the house attached to theirs

I can only speak for myself but I have a decathlon ebike with the 25km limit and it made longer journeys and wind and hills a piece of piss. Granted i cycled before I got one but its a diff ball game to normal bikes and they'll become more and more popular. I see loads of commuters on them now, it's like cycling without the worst drawbacks of cycling.

Any links for it? What's the range and torque like?

Riverside 500e you get about 45km out of it with decent help

• Advertisement

If you want to get people out of their cars, give them an option that they already know how to use, such as a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m from Newbridge so have an idea of what Your Partners friend goes through with that ‘hell that is the Red Cow’. Why don’t they park & ride at the RC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Peak hour bus lanes a good idea, very cheap buses, some might stop at a major junction along the way, some might stop at the n4, some at the n7, some at the n3? They stop at the airport and then onto swords etc area with a park and ride? Park and ride in sandyford / leopardstown, cherrywood etc too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭FazyLucker

M50 is always going to be so because it is a key artery for too many things. It is the key pinch point for almost all the traffic from every road in the country. It is a sign of economic prosperity - albeit a bad one - that its busy.

I would agree with those above on the topic of a public transport railway to be considered and built, but as long as we have Irish Rail subventions of €550 per passenger from Ballybrophy to Limerick to keep Alan Kelly happy, or the free travel brigade in Wexford wanting to re open a line used by a handful of people, these potentially really valuable and desperately needed pieces of infrastructure don't even get considered.

I would bet a well planned orbital rail route would really be utilised provided it hit all the right places along the route but failing that, why don't we have cycle lanes parallel to the M50 for example? If there was decent infrastructure I bet people would use it. I think they have them in France if I remember right? If its only 22km from Santry to Swords, many people could cycle to work much quicker than they can drive.

Alternatively, a (properly policed) 3rd lane for high occupancy, or the left hand lane turned in to a bus lane might help?

Nobody ever wants to sit in M50 traffic and if I get 100k of a pay rise but had to sit on it every day I would say no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

All I am saying is that the tolls were supposed to be limited in duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oh yeah wasn’t really arguing with you, was just making the point that regardless of anything else it would be impractical to remove them now.

In a nutshell, yes. A slightly better way of saying it:

"hey guys, you know how the issue is the road is overcrowded and there is no alternative routes? Lets find a way to reduce the number of vehicles using the road at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Does anyone remember the offer that a Japanese company( Mitsui, I think) made to the Government at the time back in the Eighties. They offered to bring their drilling machines over to Dublin from a completed tunnelling contract somewhere in the UK, and build and operate a Metro system for free , in exchange for all the ticket sales for 20 years. Government told them to sling their hook. It would have been handed back to the state by 2010 at the latest. We'd be pretty glad of it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And that was 10 years after the Russians offered to build a metro in return for butter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement