Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone aware of a new Ryanair boarding card policy?

Options
  • 05-12-2023 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just wondered, as I am reading about it on BBC and other UK media. Ryanair have denied it so far, but some contributors have said yes it is happening. I dunno.

Apparently, if you don't select and pay for a seat you will have to queue at the airport for a printed boarding card, you can no longer print your own. But if you do select and pay for a seat you can use either mobile, paper or both boarding cards before getting to the airport.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Ryanair denies introducing 'scandalous' boarding pass fee after passenger complaints | Evening Standard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Reported in a Bermingham publication as well

Ryanair called 'low cost' airline in this article but that slogan is bit past its time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Is there any other airline that comes next or near to the prices Ryanair offer? If there is I'd be very interested to know which airline it is.

I booked 3 return flights from Kerry to Manchester for the week of the last mid term break and it was 141 euro for the 3 return flights.

There was no problems booking in online and printing off boarding cards. Very good selection of very cheap booze and cigarettes on board too and no problem moving to any empty seats once the safety belts were allowed to be unfastened.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The are a low cost airline. They keep their costs very low. The cost might not be "low" for you but a "low cost" airline is based on the airlines costs not the customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

it's pretty clear from the article that its not true. If it did happen it seems to have been a tech fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

After some initial skepticism, this seems to be true (and only a few days old) - in part at least. Unconfirmed rumour is that the last 20 people without allocated seating to check in for a flight will be forced to either (i) pay for a seat to get their boarding pass immediately) or (ii) queue at check in to collect a paper boarding pass (for no charge). This seems to be in response to (growing?) numbers of people waiting until the very last minute to check in to get a 'premium' seat for free, as these are allocated last. This 'trick' is something I've seen pushed a lot on social media so I can kinda see where Ryanair are coming from (in some respects). The real killer with this of course is not just that you have to queue, but do so before security. I think you may only be able to collect it up to two hours before flight time as well - not sure about that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

This seems fairly unimplementable as you won't know you're within the 'last 20 people' to check in. It also doesn't solve the issue around people getting a premium seat for free. Policy is still the same at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think we will have to wait for Paddy or Maureen to get on to Joe to see if it's actually happening. 😉

I guess the 'unknown' factor may push people to simply book a seat when they buy a flight? From what I've seen on Twitter, nearly everyone who had this sprung on them gave in a bought a seat there and then no not so many free seats given away!

They would have burned the ears off Joe well before now if it was actually happening.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

They just don't know yet! Just like most of us too. Wait until the diaspora start checking in to come home for Chrimbo with their little bag of washing for the Mammy. We'll know then.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

It happened me yesterday flying from Manchester to Cork. And I doubt I was one of the last 20 to check in. I checked in not long after check in opened. Had to join the queue at the desk at the airport to get a print out pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Dodgy tactic to wait to check in seeing as they are overselling flights and people who have paid for flights but check in last are being left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I'm one of the last in the door for a game of "check in chicken" as it is known! I've had tens of flights comfortably sitting in the extra leg room seats or at least a window or aisle. The Ryanair algorithm allocates early online check ins (who didn't pay for a seat) the middle seat and the opposite end to their fellow booking seat.

This is done so, they will say, I don't want a middle seat and we're nowhere near each other. So they pay to move. Then the next time, they pay the small fee to allocate the seat and Ryanair's ancillary revenue grows further. As we know with FR, very clever.

Naturally, the overpriced seats are left 'til last (apart from the longer flights to Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Canaries etc. from Ireland). Checking in late gives you a good chance of getting them for free.

Hopefully Ryanair will see that their proposal will ultimately lead to long check in queues at the airport. Stressed staff dealing with people who are there on time, but can't make their flight as they are delayed checking in and ultimately delay the departure of flights.

In Dublin alone there are over 20 FR departing very close to each other in the AM departure. This will add over 400 pax to the check in queues which is now over 2 aircraft all piling in and making a mess of check in area. I'll be one of them too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The games Ryanair play will eventually bite them, its only a matter of time before the EU legislates that all passengers on the same reservation must be seated together at no extra cost.

They are playing the fear factor here and generating urgency, the small fee will get you a seat and checked in... Its a sharp practice, but its not illegal. Bear in mind Ryanair has obligations to have a certain number of staffed desks per flight so its classic Ryanair efficiency if someone has to be paid to staff a desk, make sure they are busy.

Just pay for a seat then surely? That seems to be what they want anyway.

I'd be more concerned about the overhead bin capacity since booking a seat automatically gives you priority and an overhead + underseat bag. Which bags will go in the hold then if everyone is paying for a seat + bag. Hmmm. More scope for frayed tempers that way than having to Q at the airport. At least any aggro in the "print out" Qs will happen away from the gate and before security.

I doubt Ryanair will care if you make your flight or not. They will close the gate and that's that. Then you won't make that mistake again and buy a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is there not a small element of Russian Roulette to this?

If you've no check in bag but you get mired up in a boarding pass queue, if you don't make it to the gate before they close it, the flight can leave without you (I think anyway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

, its only a matter of time before the EU legislates that all passengers on the same reservation must be seated together at no extra cost.

Under what law? Also it wouldn't apply to flights to the UK.

If they did Ryanair would just change their booking system so that you could only book 1 adult per reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Don't see why ryanair are trying to stamp out this behaviour to be honest as these passengers were never going to pay for premium seats.

Anyway, the way to deal with this is to do away with paper boarding cards for non priority and have app only dynamic cards that only reveal the seat after check in closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Advertisement

Ryanair are mean, but they're not that mean. They can't and won't have 100s of people missing flights each and everyday because of it. All you have to do is be at the gate before it closes (30 minutes before departure). In reality that rarely happens, especially later in the day.

Many of us take lots of Ryanair flights each year. I'm on 36 so far in 2023, so if they think I'll be paying for something when I don't have to! If I'm travelling with the better half or my parents, I usually book a seat anyway.

Booking priority boarding gives you overhead bin space plus a small bag. This is limited to the first 90 people who book that option. You can pay for a seat without that and you just have the small under seat bag. Since they limited it to 90 overhead bags per flight, that problem has gone away for the most part. It is usually selfish people putting their small bags up, when they don't have the right to, that causes problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm one of those that always check in late and this has happened to me. Afternoon flight to Liverpool for a Liverpool United evening match, should have known everyone would show up for that one! Luckily I did get allocated a seat at the gate, but a few didn't.

I still do it though 😋

I've never heard of Ryanair overbooking, and I believe they specifically deny this - but what I have seen happen the last while is sub in a 737-800 for a scheduled 737 Max (which has ~6 more seats). Moral of the story - stick with Rows 1 - 33! And I guess the very late check ins likely to lose out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I heard the girl at the desk say they had 200 passengers already checked in for 197 seats,I think the 197 is the max but I don't know.

Post edited by Widdensushi on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Make sure you don't select seats 1A, 28A or 28F on the 737-800. These seats don't exist on the Max (https://www.aerolopa.com/fr-7m8).

I know someone who selected seat 28A and had to pay for a seat again because the aircraft was changed to the Max. This was last year though so it could have been fixed since. This isn't an issue on the vast majority of airlines as they will automatically give you a new seat if the aircraft type is changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It was 18 months now, but they definitely did on that flight. Seemed like standard practice the way they dealt with it. To be fair to them, I thought it was relatively common across all airlines, not just them

• Registered Users Posts: 68,680 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't believe Ryanair's claim to never overbook. There have been photos of manifests in the 190s for 189 seat NGs here before (so long ago they had no MAX) to back up that they do - on routes with very high frequencies and very strong history of no-shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I think there's a genuine safety issue in seating groups separately. In the event of an emergency will Joe Public's priority be to get out of the plane or to make sure Mrs Joe seated ten rows forward also does?

Separately, I'm not sure you're correct about the number of check in desks required. I've certainly taken many flights over the years (and not just on FR) where only one check in desk was staffed.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It would apply to any flight starting or ending in Europe, which would be virtually everything Ryanair operate – save for stuff like Stansted to Marrakech.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement