Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicago Marathon - Oct 8th 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

What a fantastic race report, wow! I felt like I ran that race.

What a performance!! An absolute dream marathon. So very well executed. Huge congrats.

How the hell did you remember everyone's name though haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I loved that report. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fantastic race report, I loved reading that. Congrats on the PB and an excellent race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Brilliant, Mike, congrats on a fantastic performance. So glad you had an experience as positive as mine the year before. Recover well. 💪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Fantastic report Mike. I fekt like I was there. You ran a brilliant race. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Superb report and what a run! Great strong finish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done Mike, I’m delighted for you. A very well paced race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well there's a blast from the past. How are things, J? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super performance, congratulations. Also the best description I've ever read for trying to hydrate with paper cups at MP "waterboarding myself".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

@Bulmers74 Cheers bud - you set the bar for me and showed me what was possible 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Haha - accurate and true! Pinch and pour is a big help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Pretty damn amazing run and a great report! Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Lottery results out this Thursday.

My wife is going to murder me if I get in again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I have a GFA place in Chicago, delighted and excited, but also awaiting the Berlin lotto tomorrow, first time ever hoping for a PFO :-). Good luck Thursday🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I got a place for chicago but AIB stopped the payment on my card

I updated just now with my AIB visa, i hope they dont reject it again, ugh!

Oh, have the emails started already? My account still shows as Pending Selection

i got notification on AIB app first before any email or updates

received email and the portal updated to "selected" now that i have sorted card details out (had to manually type it in rather than let it auto populate and select it)

good luck with it! fingers crossed

Nothing on my bank account yet :(

Part of me wants to get a PFO, and I'll pay for a spot in Berlin instead, but then I love Chicago, so would love to run this one again

Still Pending Selection :(

Anyone else get their email?

• Advertisement

Got my PFO email :(

I've gone from being terrified I'd get both Berlin and Chicago, to getting neither.

Must look into other Autumnal marathons for next year so. Might pay for Berlin via a Tour Group, or do something like Amsterdam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Why wait for Autumn, pick one for late April or early May and you get straight into it in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

sorry to hear, if youre set on a major then berlin is prob best bet financially

hotel prices in chicago are astronomical too (i am only realising now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Got my accepted email this afternoon. Hotels are more expensive than I expected having just been to NYC in May. Wife always wanted to go back to Chicago since her J1 so a week has been booked at 3k with free cancellation, I'll be keeping an eye out for deals over the weeks and months. Very keen to get back training and building a good base before the summer marathon block starts.

Have another marathon in March. This was supposed to be marathon for the second half of 2024

• Advertisement

yeah, very expensive. we booked Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, 2200 for 3 nights on booking.com

That is pricey. I'm in a 3k for a week. We booked an apartment overlooking the park downtown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

Booked the silversmith, 800m from the start line for $950 for 3 nights, but non refundable 🤞🤞

I used the marathon”s own hotel booking site ‘mgeRes’ link posted above ages ago

just giving this thread a shake - how’s everyones training going?

3.5wks 😳

I've been struggling with a niggle all year so no thoughts of a PB for me. I'm going to drop down to wave 2 and aim for somewhere around 3:40. The next long run should give me an idea if thats achievable.

Training has improved over the last 6 weeks though so I'm now really looking forward to it.

How about you?

• Advertisement

training has gone well, for sure, which has added pressure maybe as I might chase a time - a good taper and I’ll decide closer to the date :)

Really looking fwd to it! These big city marathons are fantastic

Very jealous of everyone doing this race in a few weeks. Definitely will consider doing it again.

Doing the race myself! Training has being mixed to say the least. 7th marathon won't be a PB but will be an awesome experience.

Only drama I had was yesterday in to discover my flight ticket had an issue and I had no outbound flight!. After 90 minutes onto aer lingus I'm on the 11:30am on Friday rather then the 09:30am!. The bloody stress of it.

on the 11:35 aer lingus flight to Chicago on Friday morning too

just need to get Berlin done first

Enjoy Berlin! I'm never running two marathons on a month. See you bright and early at DAA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Some personal advice for you flying on the Friday

Try to stay on Irish time for the first few days at least.

I was awake at 5am Chicago time on both the Saturday and Sunday morning. Meant I got to the expo nice and early on the Saturday (which was a very smooth experience), and also, getting up at 5am for the marathon was easy on the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Really looking forward to this! I'm booked on the 09:30 flight out on Fri and back on 22:30 on Tue so have a couple of days post race. Staying pretty close to start line (about 25-30min walk). Training has gone well but races times so far this year have not been great but not worried too much, goal A is to enjoy myself, goal B to come in mid 3:20s.

@CuriousCucumber what was it like getting into the start area, from reading around it seems you need to be there really early to get through security, is this right? I've done London & Berlin before and never had an issue with long queues, would Chicago be similar?

I was staying about 10 or 15 minutes walk away, and I think I was in the 7:50 wave. Anyway, I got there early - maybe around 6am. Lots of people going in at that time, but it was still before the rush, and I strolled in. Long time to wait, but no stress.

I'd definitely bring as much throw away clothes as you feel comfortable with.

I only brought a light top, and was frozen hanging around that early in the morning. If you can bring pants, I'd seriously recommend it.

Saw plenty of people that morning in dressing gowns, and with foil blankets. It's quite cold until the sun comes up

• Advertisement

Chicago forgot to turn the heat down.…

Sunday now has highs of 18c

That would be a bit easier

Looking at reddit locals are saying you can't get an idea until Wed/Thur, looks like the cooler weather for next week is pulling in so fingers crossed. Some also saying wind should no be a major factor unless you are in the top 300 runners as there will be plenty of people to act as a wind break

Weather is starting to look a bit better.

How are all your journey times looking what what wave are you in?. I'm wave 1 starting at 07:30! Suggested arrival is 05:30. The place I'm staying overlooks the park so I'm a few minutes walk.

Same here, wave 1 and I was thinking of getting there just before 6. I'm staying at the Radisson Blu next to the park so (I think) a 15 minute walk down.

Wave 1 here as well, staying about 20 mins walk to the entrance, was planning on being there about 6ish, not sure what the story is with breakfast in the hotel but there is a mini fridge in our room so bringing porridge and getting stuff to make overnight oats over there.

On the 9:30 flight Friday so hoping to drop the bags at the hotel and get to the Expo then freeing up Saturday to rest up and constantly check the weather 😁 (which is starting to look a bit better)

You guys and girls doing the 5km? We booked an apartment. Pool/sauna in the complex for the finish and I'll be delighted to jump in. Staying until the following Saturday so a lot of exploring to do.

I'll be back of wave one. Still niggle putting down in my head.

Weather starting to look cooler (getting windier though!). Not doing the 5k but will try to get out for a run early Saturday, going to try to keep Irish time so will be out early.

Did anyone get an invite by the Irish consulate? When I tried to rsvp it was full

all eyes on weather between now and Saturday

looking good as it stands. I am in wave 2 which is 8am start

I wonder how easy it’d be to get into wave 1. Prefer to get going at 730 tbh

also got invite to the Irish consulate thing but didn’t try rsvp. Not signed up to the 5k. Did the ny marathon 5k dash last year and it was a bit meh. I’ll just do my own shakeout run whenever I wake up

was gonna do expo sat but thinking maybe best to go Friday evening and get it done early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I did switch starting waves, wasn't as easy to do as it was in other places.

I had to try a few times and eventually got in as part of a larger crowd.

My top tip is when you are going to the toilet for the last time go to the "27th Mile post race party area" there was zero queue. It will be on the top right if you are facing the start line.

Advertisement