Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I could well understood why history is being discussed but I think it a bit of a deflection of what is happening now. I'm more interested in what Israel is going to do with Gaza after this operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Israel like every country has violent roots (Ireland and the USA jump to mind wrt to the British.)

To say Israel was 'formed' in violence is pretty meaningless, basically it's just pejorative. Most countries were 'formed' in violence with few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

"The PLO gave up violence"?

Like hell they did!

They still pay pensions to the families of terrorists and suicide bombers including every recent one!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

The Shinners gave up violence as well but like PLO they did so because it was politically expedient to do so, not because of a moral recalibration. They also hero worship child killers and terrorists. They are cut from the same cloth. I'm not sure if the PLO still run protection rackets and wash diesel though.

If anyone thinks Ireland it anti Israeli now just wait until our very own (former) child killers are in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is most definitely not meaningless when there are people involved in the situation are older than Israel itself. I mean, with that rational, any country could invade an other and immediately claim that it's settled because of historical precedence.

Not to mention what has happened since Israel was formed and how it has taken more and more land to get to where we are today.

If Israel is behaving appropriately in its behaviour, than there is no argument to denounce Putin for his actions on Ukraine. (A fact that several in power in the US and EU have failed to grasp)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,679 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What is the cut-off date?

We Irish are claiming land occupied by our ancestors 800 years ago and currently in the possession of the British. If the Israelis can't claim from 2000 years ago, how can we have constitutional provisions relating to 800 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't think the shinners will get in, their popularity has reached its peak. So you won't have to listen to our (former) child killers criticise your current child killers (Israeli army).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭political analyst

Some of the women who were murdered by Hamas were also raped before they were murdered. Why did the UN Women group take until 1 December to condemn Hamas's crimes?

Sorry, did Ukraine invade Russia and slaughter its citizens?

Must've missed that. When did it happen? /s

Those older than Israel are pretty elderly at this point; sure, some might be politicians, they've seen plenty I'm sure. But I don't think they're actively making decisions guiding Israel's war on Hamas.

And, I stand by my statement that most countries are formed in violence. No where did I use that as an excuse for those countries behaviours. Just pointing out its a meaningless point to make, since we're no longer in 1948 (or 1916 or 1776 or whatever.)

Sorry, did Ukraine invade Russia and slaughter its citizens?

Again with the BS that this conflict originated out of thin air on Oct 7th.

Israel killed on average 12 Palestinians for every Israeli killed each year for the last 3 years (including 2023 up to end Sept).

If Hamas' attacks on Oct 7th are justification for Israel killing about 20K Palestinians since then, can you explain to us why with the death tolls the Palestinians have suffered above, they, whether in the form of Hamas or whatever, is not entitled to defend itself.

• Advertisement

How was Hamas' invasion on the 7th defending itself? How is Hamas' endless rocket barrage defending itself?

If Hamas is justified in whatever they do as 'defense,' then so is Israel, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,481 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All of this talk about the massive threat Hamas supposedly poses to Israel and yet scarcely a single Israeli citizen has died or been harmed since the October 7th atrocities. How come we're not hearing about dozens or hundreds of Israeli deaths every day, with this monstrous and existential threat to their very existence on their borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭brickster69

US imposes visa sanctions on Israeli settlers. Better late than never i suppose.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

You've introduced the concept of defense as a justification for the killing of people in this post when neither my post nor the one I was responding to. That is curious, like you immediately realized there is no justification and so the goalposts had to be moved.

What Israel in Gaza is not defending itself. Ask yourself this, how would you feel, and how would you be motivated to act if your home was being bombed in this way with tens of family members being wiped out in many cases. If you were a 12 or 13 year old who saw your parents lying under the rubble of your home, what would your response likely be if someone said you could fire a rocket at the people who inflicted that suffering and loss on you?

US Secretary of Defense said as much at the weekend.

They aren't my child killers. If I was Israeli I'd be voting for the opposition. I would probably be campaigning against the current Israeli government. If I was in Gaza and campaigned against Hamas I'd quite likely be murdered by them.

Because the Israeli government care about their own citizens and protect them. The same can't be said about the government of Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Does any terrorist organisations embrace purely political means because of a moral recalibration?I am sure the Jewish Terrorists Irgun didn't give up violence because they had a crisis of conscience. The likes of Yitzshak Amir never apologised for the murder of the Swedish diplomat he took part in. As for Sinn Fein, I doubt they will actually get into power. In the most recent poll most voters seem to favour the current coalition. Also if within the next 18 months the public perception on Fianna Fowls and Fine Gaels performance in areas like the housing issue changes for the better, then some voters who have graviated towards Sinn Fein may move away from them. Also if Fine Gael have learnt the lessons from the last election they will stick to focusing on the possible consequences for the economy if Sinn Fein are elected. That might be enough to persuade enough people not to vote for Sinn Fein.

Whatever happens, Sinn Fein won't have the numbers to rule outright and so in a coalition with Fianna Fail they will have to compromise and become a bit more centerist.

Post edited by nacho libre on

Hamas started a war to get as many of its own people killed in order to derail the treaties other Arab countries were signing with Israel. It worked. It's a big success for Hamas. They care not a whit about the dead children on their streets.

True, no terrorist organisation ever really embraces political means due to a moral recalibration. The only exception I can think of was Gusty Spence and  the Combined Loyalist Military Command.

I hope that SF don't get in. We've had enough economically illiterate populism in this country over the last 40 years. That and the people who actually run the party killed children, robbed banks, murdered Gardaí, ran protection rackets, licenced drug dealing and worse. That's why I see them as bedfellows of the PLO. I don't think they'll be as corrupt as the PLO as the institutions of the state are stronger here.

Israel forces were directly responsible for the deaths of several Israelis on Oct 7th. Helicopter gun ships, tanks, machine gun fire from Israeli's fired in a panic killed many of their own citizens.

You know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

BBC 6 o'clock news today focused on the rape of women during the Hamas terrorist attack, finally.

Not that that would mean anything at all to the hard leftist's, like Owen Jones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Very tough reading from this BBC report on systematic rape that occurred with the Oct 7 attack

"Several people involved in collecting and identifying the bodies of those killed in the attack told us they had seen multiple signs of sexual assault, including broken pelvises, bruises, cuts and tears, and that the victims ranged from children and teenagers to pensioners.

Video testimony of an eyewitness at the Nova music festival, shown to journalists by Israeli police, detailed the gang rape, mutilation and execution of one victim.

Videos of naked and bloodied women filmed by Hamas on the day of the attack, and photographs of bodies taken at the sites afterwards, suggest that women were sexually targeted by their attackers.

Few victims are thought to have survived to tell their own stories.

Their last moments are being pieced together from survivors, body-collectors, morgue staff and footage from the attack sites."

""I spoke with at least three girls who are now hospitalised for a very hard psychiatric situation because of the rapes they watched," Minister May Golan told me. "They pretended to be dead and they watched it, and heard everything. And they can't deal with it."

Israel's police chief Yaacov Shabtai said that many survivors of the attacks were finding it difficult to talk and that he thought some of them would never testify about what they saw or experienced.

"18 young men and women have been hospitalised in mental health hospitals because they could no longer function," he said.

Others are reportedly suicidal. One of those working with the teams around survivors told the BBC that some had already killed themselves.

Much of the evidence has come from the volunteer body-collectors deployed after the attacks, and those who handled the bodies once they arrived at the Shura army base for identification.

One of the body-collectors volunteering with the religious organisation Zaka described to me signs of torture and mutilation which included, he said, a pregnant woman whose womb had been ripped open before she was killed, and her foetus stabbed while it was inside her."

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Not entirely true. The increase in growth in population due to Zionism did not occur until the First World War really and you can see the explosion between 1931/1947 even according to your link which I checked vs the Wikipedia one and are aligned. You can clearly see the demographics and growth and % on table: tried copying the other one too but it wouldn’t get all in one screen properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Can you please state Hamas. Palestinians are not fighting a war right now. They are sifting through rubble, trying to find water, to stay alive. It’s really disingenuous of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Set Adrift

No one is claiming land occupied 800 years ago!! The Normans came 800 years ago and integrated! Clans like McSweeney and McDonnell arrived in Antrim and integrated, moved southwards too. Terence MacSwiney would be a gallowglass descendant.

There's a big difference in mass plantation where there's no integration, 1609 through the Cromwellian period and 17th century. But anyone who arrived here in those years don't need their title deeds. It's not a science, with regards to a cut off point.

I would say you'd still be resentful of someone who took your grandfathers place in 1948? Resulting in you being homeless, impoverished and lacking in education. Likewise if it was your father in 1967 or 1973. You can't tell me you'd be hunky dory with that.

Conflict resolution is a difficult business but you first have to recognise why every party feels the way they do.

Wait, I thought you were the one who said:

"If Hamas' attacks on Oct 7th are justification for Israel killing about 20K Palestinians since then, can you explain to us why with the death tolls the Palestinians have suffered above, they, whether in the form of Hamas or whatever, is not entitled to defend itself."

So, Hamas is entitled to defend itself, and the October 7th attack was that? No goalpost moving, just trying to understand your point. Neither the October 7th massacre nor the enormous constant bombardment with rockets were defense in my view; they were offenses, the Oct 7th one coldbloodedly designed to maximize media coverage and engender international outrage at the expense of Palestinian and Israeli lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Set Adrift

And just to be quite clear, Hamas are absolute scum. Reading some of the atrocity reports from 7 October made me nearly vomit.

Violence begets violence and the innocent suffer the most. I really don't know what can be done. We were in such a good place in 1993.

What is really upsetting is what the holocaust has done to Jewish psyche. They will kill anyone who looks crooked at them with no hesitation. I'm not being racist when I say this. I imagine this is how any people, who went through, what they went through would react. It doesn't make people empathetic or the opposite of their tormentor.

The Palestinians that are members of Hamas then. And it’s not a “war”. It’s terrorism they (Hamas) are engaged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

If Hamas hadn't of launched their terrorist attack, those Israelis would be alive, regardless of who killed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭brickster69

Reuters seeing the light in it's reporting now. " Israel orders Gazan's to flee, bombs where it sends them "

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement