Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

What other reason do people from safe countries continue to apply for asylum in Ireland when quite clearly Ireland is suffering civil unrest ,riots and chronic homelessness ?

Why ,when racism and hatred is governments, ngo's and medias top priority would people want to still come here?

Ireland is a country these people should be fleeing from . ....So why still come ?......!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Money and benefits and not having to work, also no real punishment for committing crimes. Prison probably an upgrade from where they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Well political parties are like the town clock with a face for every hour. Election is at least 18 months out… if we keep going the way we are going something will have to give. Won’t take long for the main players to relook at their policies.

I’ll be voting Aontu.

• Advertisement

As pointed out to me and i agree, not all NGo’s is bad. It’s is hard to listen to a certain CEO of a certain NGO talk that we should prioritise his organisation interests over anyone else that’s marginalised. The people he represents are more important than anyone else. It’s hard to listen to. It’s downright maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is not true. Ukrainians don't get a free smartphone and free monthly phone plan.

They can get a free sim card and 1 month free phone An Post.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's not true. It's going upto 75 a week for people without accomodation.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Maybe. But christ what a joke of a carry on. What is this solving. Same old dysfunctional government who just throw money at a problem instead of addressing it properly. We're full so close her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Minister for Integration has confirmed that the Cabinet decided to increase by €75 the weekly payments for asylum seekers who are not offered accommodation.

Not increase to

Increase by

Anybody care to explain to me then what a rise of 37 euros is going to do for someone on the street. Is this the solution to the accommodation fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

If you would vote for a Far Right party on the basis of agreeing with their policy of "stopping the destruction of this country", then I don't see how you comfortably disassociate yourself from far right ideology. Like at the end of the day, if you don't want to be seen as being far right, then isn't it worth asking yourself why that is? I mean — why is it on these threads that nobody appears to want to be seen as far right?

I do think that asking oneself that question can open the mind to why voting for a far right party simply because they present an ostensible intent to fix everything by vilifying, ousting and turning away migrants and refugees might be a case of drinking battery acid to kill a stomach bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

McEntee despite making noise about taking in some refugees didn’t in the end citing … something, something…

I wonder how many government TD’s have? Has Rodders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Election is at least 18 months out

Better tell the constitution that

Won’t take long for the main players to relook at their policies.

Current furore about immigration going on for nearly two years now and I'm seeing little sign of the main parties changing course. If I had a big problem with current immigration policies I'm not sure I'd be as complacent as you...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

All them NGO’s trot out the same line.we’re supposedly a “rich country “ and the magic money tree is forever.so suck it up plebs and take ur medicine

A bit like handing someone a sleeping bag a tent and 75 euros and telling them welcome to Ireland. If this is what you think is working keep voting for the normal parties. What the current government is doing to my country at the minute is far right to me. Buying homes with tax payer's money an it not being given to Irish homeless. As far right as it gets.

Ah fair enough. Apologies I got it wrong. I have no problem with it as €113 a week is still very little when you have no accomodation.

Govt confirms €75 extra payment to asylum seekers (rte.ie)

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For years before Ukraine, the govt repeatedly failed to get the accommodation/housing crisis under control. Simply nipping around the periphery of the problem and inadvertently making things worse (eg banning bedsits)

What had been a crisis has now snowballed into an utter shìtshow. It's amazing all the stops could be pulled out for Ukrainians yet they were unwilling or unable to do the same for decades for people already here. Maybe there weren't any cushy future jobs or Humanitarian of the Year awards in it??

Note I'm not blaming Ukrainians here but there was no need for benefits above and beyond what every other country in the EU were handing out.

We can't take in millions, maybe the so called International Community (really the West) need to look at supplying resources and creating the conditions, as far as is possible, where people can peaceably stay in and build up their own countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

So wanting secure borders is far right now? Is this backwards world??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Barry Ward and Michael McNamara were on The Tonight Show last night talking about the lack of accommodation, Ward was coming out with the usual rubbish saying most of the Ukrainians will go home but Michael called him out on it saying the war won't end anytime soon and in reality most of them are here to stay.

He also pointed out that many of them had been in other EU countries but moved here because the money on offer was better.

Of course the minute he said this Claire Brock was in like a shot trying to shut him down but fair play to him he stood his ground and demanded to be let finish the point he was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Phrasing used for today's world is "clown world", just clarifying the terminology 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I think you may need to educate yourself on what "far right" is, and no it's not anything to the right of extreme left that loves to be trotted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

€113 is the same as a weeks wages in the countries these economic migrants come from.

This Government will never learn, when they whatsapp the lads back home that more money is there for the taking it will only encourage more of them to come.

Soft mark Ireland just got softer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

As for the west supplying money and resources to these less fortunate countries to assist them in staying there- have we not been doing just that for decades, with little imrovement to show for our charity? I know I'm going to sound like a grumpy old fecker but the fact is most of these regions are incapable of managing their own affairs and corruption is rife. Without democracy and good governance these countries will never be any better. South Africa is a basket case now and no one but themselves to blame. I care about this country and my children's future and if that makes me a facist so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

With the way Britain is clamping down it's just another incentive, get over here, fill out the form to start the asylum ball rolling, collect the tent and sleeping bag along with the €113 and then off to sleep on a friends sofa....the one who is settled here already and in the system, brainless carry on with the taxpayers money imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

News covering the story now about homeless asylum seekers. Homeless shelters been used now . Great country altogether. Definitely lots coming from the UK as our media and politicians are very welcoming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Interestingly he also said that a lot of refugees accommodated in the back of beyonds have done a runner into the cities where they want to be. The hotels are still getting paid for the empty rooms and food regardless. So when refugees are being sent to the streets with a tent do not believe for a second it's because there is no accommodation available.

Advertisement