Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

As I said, it's because of your first class public services.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - A reminder to all, do not discuss any cases currently before the courts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

Leaving the EU would be like cutting off your leg because you have a problem with your toes. If changes have to be made within the EU, then petition for change, Ireland is not the only Country presently suffering from Immigration /Asylum seekers. Even Germany is now having problems with Merkel's million. Not the least is the rise in popularity of the anti-immigration party, the AFD. That should really set the alarm bells ringing for German politicians. And quietly, Germany is deporting them big time. Leaving the EU is not the answer, that has been well proven by the UK, who are now exploring ways to re-join the EU. When enough EU member states have had enough, and that point if it has not been reached already, it is fast approaching, then you will see major changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Leaving the EU is the new Godwins law on these Immigration related threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Rishi sunak has just agreed a massive change in their Immigrant portfolio today.

Legal Immigrants will have to earn nearly 40k sterling up from 26k to be eligible.

Overseas care workers will be banned from bringing extended family members to the UK.

The point system will be raised for those considering to apply for visa's

The problem with that idea (and I'm not saying that it's a bad one) is who to replace them with??? Since the foundation of the state, we have had the musical chairs of basically the same parties. Now though it seems more than likely that Sinn Fein will be the main party in power after the next election. And if it worked out like that, then (as far as I know) it will be the first time since the first Dail Eireann in 2019.

Then elect parties who want change at EU level, like the National Party. Also, while there are right wing parties growing in popularity they are still in a large minority and they struggle to find people to go into government with them. The joys of democracy as they say.

Well in theory anyway, it's free movement within the EU member states, with all vetting done on the EU external borders. And to be honest, it has been one of the best results of joining the EU, when you look at what it was like in the pre-EU days. But while the free movement has been a boon, it is now becoming a major problem, which threatens the EU itself. Legally or illegally, non-EU residents are flooding in, and once in, are free to travel within the EU due to the lack of border checks, and herein lies the problem. Because what is happening now is out of all proportion to what went before. So much more must be done to stem the flow of illegal migrants, better policing at the entry points, quicker turnaround times for unsuccessful applicants. More resources will have to be allocated to border controls, holding stations built and staffed. If fact the whole migration issue (which was not designed to handle the current situation) needs to be re-thought and updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Fantastic for Ireland. We can hoover up all these skilled but not too skilled workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would think you could add in people who actually don't live here into it and who are completely unaffected.

You will see someone refer to Ireland as your country which reads as the person doesn't even live in ireland.

If the aim is for cheap foreign labour than I don't see that working too well, the dole and benefits is not far off a minimum wage job.

I don't see many people moving here and going out to work when they can get similar money for doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RTE Drivetime sent out a reporter to some Algerian lad fresh off the plane and not a word of English so another guy had to translate.

Apparenty he isn't happy and said he has no money.

Any other country wouldn't let someone like that who will be nothing but a burden to the taxpayer past the airport terminal but here he is just one of many that will keep coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's Schengen's, not EU's fault, and for better or worse Ireland opted out. But even so, it was intended for hassle free transit of goods and EU people in a time where there was no great African migration.

The law is the law. You can't just pretend it doesn't exist when it suits. As I've repeatedly said, if you don't like the rules that are laid down by the EU then start advocating for a Irexit.

Actually the EU law states that, outside of some exceptional circumstances, you need to work for at least 5 years until you have the right to permanent residence. And that scum who was able enough to do what he did definitely was also able to work.

Ireland is one of the EU countries with the most relaxed residence laws, mostly because it doesn't require anyone to have a photo ID or to register their domicile, which most continental European countries do.

As if Brexit was not enough proof that "Exit' does not work. Imagine what Putin would do to the individual and separated states of a former EU. Does not bear thinking about. Would not surprise me in the slightest if these "Exit" proposers were funded by Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

As our political elite say this is all regarding EU rules, which I dont believe for a second but it raises the question, who is in charge, if its the EU then we should look at leaving, maybe our elite will wake up or if they insist we can get out of this mess.

I'm pro EU but not if it means taking homes away from our homeless, increasing taxes to house the world, feck off.

The EU are doing a great job of influencing anti EU centiment.

Sure, but applications have to be made, and that process entails details being given etc, so it's not just everyone or anyone turning up. There is a vetting process. Yes, and since Schengen was founded in 1895, when there was little African immigration, a situation that has changed drastically. Thousands and thousands of migrants arriving in Lampedusa ( and other places) for example, paperless and unvetted. Just how do you manage migration at that scale??? Australia was lambasted years ago when they transferred migrants to places like Nauru or Manus Island. That slowed down the migrants. The permitted nrs of migrants to Australia for 2023-24 are set at 190'000. So well managed migrant flow's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Yet another example of the state's incompetence. A Philippino man, Daniel Maymay (31), convicted of the rape of a woman he met online and has been jailed for five years. He has 17 previous convictions including one for violent disorder and possession of drugs for sale or supply. His permission to remain within the State expired in 2020 and wasn't been renewed.

If an immigrant visa is set to expire they should be notified of this in advance and apply before the expiration date if they wish to stay on. The number of people in the country illegally due to overstaying their work or student visas is huge. The Brazilians using the English schools to enter legally knowing they will remain. Even tho the rapist has two children here that shouldn't be grounds to let him remain after serving his time here. We've already decided on one anchor baby issue. Having children while on a visa here should never be a reason for not deporting someone like your man. If we had a fuctioning immigration system he should have been lifted.

• Advertisement

The problem with issuing an amnesty is that it encourages more people to stay illegally in the hope of another amnesty. An amnesty shouldn't be issued unless it addresses the underlying issue. Those people have no respect for the laws of the country and the courts issuing a light sentence for a serious crime tells you all you need to know about this country. That woman's soul is as good as dead, all done at the cost of imposing a neo liberal ideology on to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

After the amnesty was announced there was a large increase in the numbers arriving here having previously lived in the UK for a number of years

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

You can work with one as well, I did for many years. Outrageous he was signed off for so long on "disability"

That will slow down the rate OK, but only of those using the legal route, but what about the Boat (and other) people?

You're understanding of it is incorrect. You don't need to work for 5 years to have the right to permenant residence in another country, you just need to have legally lived their for 5 years.

But you are correct about needing exceptional circumstances and one of those exceptional circumstances is "if you stop working because you are no longer able to work due to an accident at work or occupational illness. In this case, you have the right to remain regardless of how long you have lived in the country prior to the accident or illness."

They(EU) should change that logo to "Their Europe" based on what our government are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your Europe,

It's stopped being our Europe long ago

And in order to be allowed to live for 5 years you need to either work or be looking for work. Sitting on your arse for 5 years won't grant you permanent residence. Working less that 1 year can get you deported after 6 months. So there are ways to get rid of the EU benefit spongers, but it has to happen fast, something which Ireland is not really known for unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Where are these people staying when they are allowed into the country?

I thought we were chocka with refugees and migrants already?

Everywhere was full when the students came back for college in September. Am I missing something here?

They were even kicking Ukrainian refugees out of the student accommodation in Dublin to make way for the college students.

Are these new guys given tents when they arrive?

• Advertisement

If I was irish and homeless I'd rock up to the IPO, say I lost my passport, im from Ukraine and avail of all those wonderful benefits our Ukrainian friends benefit from and prioritisation on housing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement