Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,481 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd suggest one of the reasons Israel is hugely losing the PR battle is because of social media. In the past, they had western governments and the western media on board and could control the media narrative - not totally of course, but they were shaping many of the arguments.

In 2023, people can see dozens of horrendous new videos coming out of Gaza almost every day. Images speak far more loudly than a collection of right wing and far right cranks writing opinion pieces in the papers about how Israel is 100% justified in what it is doing and how Hamas and the Palestinians are monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Automated nonsense response - I can do it too - "Why are you justifying the targeted and deliberate torture and murder of Palestinian toddlers for entertainment by Israeli psychopaths, typical response from posters here"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'm not sure believing videos coming from either side is sensible idea.

I would suggest perhaps not taking those videos as facts, and getting information from independent sources.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A good statement from Varadkar, I think. He could have gone further, but at least it's more than other comparable states have done.

1h ago

19.40 CET

Ireland’s taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has said that the ongoing Israeli bombardment of Gaza will prove counterproductive and is likely to make Israel less secure in the future.

Varadkar was asked about the renewed violence in the Middle East as he took questions in the Dail parliament on Tuesday, PA news agency reported. He said:

I don’t think anyone can find the current situation to be anything more than unbearable, quite frankly, to see thousands of people being killed and thousands of children losing their lives.

And while Israel has the right to defend itself, the actions that they’ve taken in my view, and that of the government, are disproportionate and will ultimately be counterproductive because we know from history that when people are treated in that way it strengthens their resolve.

He added that Israel “might achieve a military victory, but it’s very likely to be a strategic defeat in terms of their own long-term security.”

But he rejected calls for Ireland to impose sanctions on Israel, insisting such unilateral action would have no influence on Israeli thinking and would likely result in retaliatory steps against Irish exports from Israel and supportive allies.

“Sanctions are only effective when they’re done on a multilateral basis,” Varadkar said, adding:

If we go out on a limb and take unilateral actions, we’ll be listened to less. It might make us feel better, but it won’t do any good for the Palestinian people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

At least one of the rape victims is still being held hostage. We all saw her being forced into a car with blood covered sweat pants on. Awful to think what she, and the other women hamas is refusing to release, have been going through. And still people on here peddle the disgusting hamas propaganda that the hostages were treated well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What Israel is currently engaged in is a massive dirty stain on humanity. Any reasonable person will conclude that it’s lost it’s right to exist in the pantheon of states anymore. It’s written it’s own warrant and made a massive mistake that will see it’s demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The point was that the Israeli government cares for its citizens. Irrespective of the precursor to why Israel sent gunships to the area when they got their, they shot indiscriminately. They care more about killing Palestinians than they do about saving Israeli's. This is also why they delayed exchanging hostages until they had killed several thousand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hamas are scum, and the full report will probably back up what was reported here but for 100% transparency (probably going to get slated for this regardless) you did cut the quote off before this paragraph

"The BBC has not been able to independently verify this account, and Israeli media reports have questioned some testimony from volunteers working in the traumatic aftermath of the Hamas attacks."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Absolute nonsense. Friendly fire type incidents occur in the fog of war in conflict after conflict

Any excuse for a Hamas supporter to sling mud at Israel and attempt at an utterly false comparison betwen how Israel looks after its civilians versus Hamas.

Not hitting Hamas after an attack like October 7th would have rewarded Hamas for taking hostages and would have just shown weakness and encouraged more hostage taking. That would not protect Israeli civilians - the opposite.

What you have presented is a pro Hamas conspiracy theory.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Thankfully someone on this discussion who can see both sides.

The Hamas attack really was vile beyond belief, if even half of the sexual torture reports coming out now are true it is insane that anyone could think the attack was legitimate resistance.

At the same time, Israeli as a state is deeply traumatized and knows only brutal overreaction to any perceived threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think they are loosing the PR battle as people don't like to see 6000 children getting bombed by a civilised country with cutting edge weapons etc...

But there's also the recent OSINT that has proved invaluable in the Russian invasion of Ukraine. It means people are well capable of translating a calendar on a wall to prove it's not a list of terrorists etc...

Then there's some interviews with Israeli officials and when questioned about evidence or lack of evidence they go on a rant talking about Holocaust denial. Pretty unhinged and reminiscint of Russian officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes they don't do themselves any favours trying to make journalists and reporters out as being stupid. I wonder is this why so many reporters have been killed in Gaza, almost 80 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eurovision confirm Israel will take part in the 2024 competition.

I would expect momentum to grow for Ireland to boycott the event.

All of this sudden discussion this week in the media of rapes on October 7th has made quite a few observers suspicious. A cynic might suggest the regime knows it is taking massive criticism globally for its undoubted numerous war crimes in Gaza and is making desperate moves to try and shift the narrative away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Reddit is really only social media I read a fair bit of (other than this site) and their bot-game is tremendous there as far as I can see, very impressive - looks every bit as good as the Russians and the Chinese and the Indians IMO (all 3 have huge "human resources" and probably lots of mugs who will even do it for free by comparison - esp. the Chinese and Indians).

It has a whiff of serious desperation off it though, very like the thankless task of the Russian contingent while everyone can watch their army blasting cities, and ticking off a "bucket list" of war crimes.

You can rant about the facts all you want, they are the facts. Israeli people at the festival have reported this. And I'll give you more to lose the run of yourself over.

Hostage families have repeatedly said that the Government is not doing enough to get their loved ones back and is instead prioritizing killing Palestinians.

Not only this, but Israel were told about the attack planned for the festival and didn't increase security to deal with it, or take any measures such as cancelling the festival.

And there's more, Nethanyahu said that Hamas were a key part in Israel preventing the development of a two states solution in the area. He of course knew what Hamas would do in order for this to be the case.

So there's 3 more ways in which Israel is not putting the safety of its Citizens above everything else as was claimed, deal with it.

And I've never said Israel shouldn't target Hamas, that's just another pet strawman genocide apologists roll out on a nightly basis to defend the indefensible so, yeah, you can have that back. Along with his brother strawman that Hamas cares more for its citizens than Israel does, another point I didn't make.

Post edited by Tell me how on

Any comment about the actual rapes and sexual torture that were documented? Or you just want to bitch some more about how terrible Israel are to deflect away from Hamas being isis style terrorists?

It's a clever propaganda tactic by the regime - rape of women is a highly emotive subject, almost a taboo topic and if one dares question the regime's narrative, they are immediately called a 'rape apologist' etc. They know exactly what they are doing here and who their audience is. It hardly seems a coincidence that there has been a flood of these rape accounts in the western media since Sunday, a full two months on from the October 7th atrocities.

What it does is stops people talking about the numerous war crimes and back to discussing October 7th again (also, the dehumanising of Palestinians yet again...they are nothing but savage beasts who hate women).

No. The rape accounts appeared almost immediately. We all saw the bloodied and broken women pretty much in real time. Stop lying. It's because of posts like this, denying that this happened, that the push to get the stories out is happening.

Absolutely sickening stuff, but to be expected from Hamas sympathisers. And I'm not saying that just because you criticise Israel, you can do that without supporting Hamas. I'm saying it because you, and a couple of others on here, clearly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Madeoface

It's disgusting. No question.

As disgusting as the rapes and the murder of babies that the IDF and Ariel Sharon oversaw during the 1982 massacre in Sabra and Chatila refugee camps where over 1,700 innocent Palestinian people were massacred during Israels illegal and devastating invasion of Lebanon.

Any human life is sacred and neither the right wing Zionist goons in charge of Israel nor the fundamentalist murderers in Hamas care a jot.

Neither learn from history or other conflicts.

It's deeply depressing, especially for the innocent. On both sides.

• Advertisement

Even if one accepts that the many rape accounts are all accurate, how in God's name would that justify the killing of thousands of innocent Gazan women and children in revenge?

This whole issue of the rapes on October 7th being plastered all over the western media whilst the regime is on a killing frenzy in Gaza at the moment stinks to high heaven. This has nothing to do with truth or justice - it's all about justifying the war crimes. Everyone from day one has conceded that October 7th was a horrible atrocity and was wrong. The point doesn't even need to be proven.

How many Irish children should Israelis be allowed to murder because of those rapes?

They were horrific and nobody would condone the atrocities of Oct 7th. But do give me a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Did Ireland attack Israel on the 7th of October? Or Gaza (of which Hamas is the government)?

Were all the evil Palestinian toddlers at the forefront of the incursion? Or were some of them more involved in the planning stage?

The newspapers are reporting that the attack was in the planning for years so probably started before some of them were born, but perhaps they all got involved in the later stages?

The reality is that the Palestinian toddler had as much to do with those acts as the Irish toddler in Mullingar. So I would see the justification for the Israeli murdering the Palestinian toddler as being equal to his justification for murdering the Irish one. (i.e. zero justification)

But if you are happy to give the Israeli a pass to murder the Palestinian toddler because of the atrocity that happened on 7th October, then - if you are consistent - you would equally have to give him a pass to murder the Irish one.

In reality, you know the latter is ridiculous. But for some reason, you can't see the former is equally so. Cognitive dissonance

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

"The reality is that the Palestinian toddler had as much to do with those acts as the Irish toddler in Mullingar. So I would see the justification for the Israeli murdering the Palestinian toddler as being equal to his justification for murdering the Irish one. (i.e. zero justification)"

What a strange equivalence to make. You've removed all of the context of where the deaths are happening and why. Of course both toddlers are innocent. But the context matters.

Israel soldiers are as capable as Hamas for inflicting rape on their victims. It is documented, and I posted here last night of a prominent Rabbi who said it was acceptable.

Given how the official Israeli story has shifted, changed, been retracted, downgraded since the start of this conflict, it is completely logical to question whatever narrative has been pushed on their extremely well polished PR supply chain. The while the first casualty of war is truth, man is capable of heinous things, on all sides. I don't get particularly aggrieved about the actions of individuals, on either side, for this reason. It happens, and in the greater scheme of things, while horrific for those who experience it, and whoever has to consider it, it is relatively inconsequential. There's evidence and claims of rape as a tool of war on both sides of this conflict. That is a fact.

But the sickening stuff around this conflict, and on this thread is to watch the excuses day after day after day for what Israel is doing. We've had flat out racism on this thread, we've had gleeful encouragement of Israel to 'finish the job' we've had complete ambivalence towards hostages captured by Israel while simultaneously justifying all their actions so as to rescue the hostages captured by Hamas we've had the victim blaming of a nation of children for the damage that Israel is inflicting on them. We've had the tried and trusted methods of holocaust denial and antisemitism accusations used continuously to stifle justified criticism of Israel. Much of the use of these tactics is particularly galling because it indicates that those who use them think Israel should be completely unanswerable to anyone. What a terrible idea.

And watching the western world support and justify the butchering of a nation of people is chilling in a whole new way beyond what I've seen over the last couple of decades in which I've been watching current affairs. There were the Rwanda and Kosovo instances of ethnic cleansing but the West weren't protagonists in that in the same way they are here.

Hamas are a terrorist organisation, those who took part in the attacks on Oct 7th and those who funded it, planned it should be all held accountable. But so too should every single warmonger on the side of Israel. There is only one side here watching whole generations being wiped out, one side being herded in to killing zones week after week, one side fighting without a route to safety, one side being offered a pitifully small amount of aid while the other is receiving billions in military equipment.

I agree that this wailing and gnashing of teeth about rape after all the other horrific tales which were later retracted or downgraded is just the latest tactic to distract from the killing of another 1000 people or whatever the last couple of days number is. The 'Hamas sympathizers' accusation for anyone horrified at the suffering of million is more of the same. Like, it's such an alien thought to some, they think anyone who considers Israel's actions in creating such a group must be evil themselves.

The masks have come off over the last couple of months, it is not a pleasant sight.

"But, but, what about Israel?" isn't really an answer to probably hundreds of women being assaulted, raped, having their breasts removed, objects inserted into them, and pelvises broken in a targeted campaign.

"Wailing and gnashing of teeth about rape". You sound lovely tbh, and yes the masks have come off. People have been saying it happened from day one, but denialists like you wouldn't listen. Now that it's undeniable it's suddenly become just "propaganda" and their fault anyway. It's DARVO, straight from the abusers handbook. Not a good look.

Nothing was "downgraded". As has been explained so many times no one ever **** said exactly 40 babies had been beheaded. They said 40 babies were killed, some beheaded. But keep using the fact that Hamas only beheaded some babies as evidence that they are good guys ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Using Hamas members' deaths as evidence that killing thousands of children was worth it doesn't really work very well for saying Israel are the good guys either. It didn't work for the US in Afghanistan and Iraq, and it didn't work for them in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see the American Government has started issuing Visa bans to settlers over this .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Skips over the obvious whataboutery - an obvious attempt to obscure the whether Hamas committed atrocities or not. Because that is the discussion point you have challenged. Whataboutery about other atrocities says nothing about the truth of what Hamas did.

You do not want the truth about Hamas atrocities to be discussed, do not want them to be true - because you think Israel will use it as propaganda.

But that is not the same thing as the fact they occurred.

Hostages were raped and beaten with electrical cables yet you tried to spin the pro Hamas fake news they were treated humanely. The most you were prepared to say is that some hostages were treated poorly.

Poorly? Being raped or tortured is being treated 'poorly' according to your posts on how hostages were treated.

So no, all the stories of rape and atrocity by Hamas to civilians have not been discredited - that is another pro Hamas canard you spin here.

Children and civilians were mutilated deliberately on October 7th.

Israel did not have warning of an attack on the music festival - that is a pro Hamas conspiracy theory you spread in your posts without any reputable source. Again to try to take blame away from the Hamas murderers and rapists.

The excuses are in your post to exonerate Hamas of blame for actual atrocities they inflicted on civilins and try to pin the blame for civilian deaths on Israel. Some of the deaths may have been friendly fire in the chaos but you focus on this chaos ignoring that Hamas are culpable for targeting civilians deliberately and killing hundreds. Friendly fire incidents happen in every conflict - attacks like October 7th do not.

Rewarding or appeasing Hamas for taking hostages would only encourage more such attacks.

The reason why posters accuse you of Hamas sympathies is because it is evident in such posts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement