Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Best game is so subjective, they need to categorise them. For a start no grown adult can say Mario Wonder is one of the best games of the year. For a 7-12 year old, yes absolutely. Also speaking of BG3 as best game of the year is totally dependant on whether you enjoy the turn based RPG category, because if you don't then it's way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

And that's why I stopped caring about mainstream game journalism and reviews. Remnant II absolutely deserve to be in the top 50, maybe in the top 10, well ahead of a DLC for a 3 years old game and a 2 (to be fair excellent) remakes. And so does Hogwarts Legacy, best selling game of 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've never played Genshin Impact but whenever I look at it, it fills me with disgust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think that's a pretty good Top 50. So many good games released this year that I forgot came out this year.

Most grown adults that like videogames would rank most Mario games quite highly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Best selling doesn't mean it's good. From what I've seen and heard from people that played it is that it's a perfectly cromulent game. And being perfectly cromulent isn't going to hack it in what is probably the strongest year we've had for videogame releases in years. Picking 50 is probably quite difficult.

• Advertisement

We both know why Polygon has chosen to pretend it doesn't exist. It is a good game, it sold well and it was reviewed well, it certainly deserves a spot in the top 50. It's certainly better than Starfield and probably the 2nd or 3rd best large open world game launched this year.

So when game awards become so disconnected from the gaming community then what's their point anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Thr bullshit, wasted time and energy that was generated over Hogwart's Legacy is the height of first world entitlement and hubris. The developers worked very hard to create a very polished game that was true to the source material. The noise merchants did nothing, created nothing, achieved nothing. They just sit there with their mouths open on their YouTube thumbnails like idiots, hoping for some fool to click on their shite.

Rant over.

Yes and I do too. I rate Mario Wonder very highly. Put it in an under 12's category and absolutely 100% no.1 or 2 game of the year. I'm in no way suggesting adults cannot play under 12's games. That is missing my point entirely. What I'm saying is a top 50 all emcompassing list is completely worthless to anyone reading the list. Likewise, AW2 at no.3 is of no use to an under 12 looking at the list. Sure, they can play it they wish, its none of my business, but your average under 12 is going to scared sh!tless and less face it probably completely bored to the point where they too will be wondering what the point of this list is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,563 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It sold well, no doubt about it. Reviewed well? Sure, from a lot of the bigger sites that reviewed it a lot of the review scores came out about 8-9/10.

But you're talking about a 8-9/10 game in a year with numerous 10/10 games. It's genuinely one of the best years for gaming in years, possibly ever. Even taking the top 6 in the Game Awards GOTY discussion, if you increased that to 10 games, Hogwarts Legacy probably still wouldn't have made it in.

It's a game that had huge attention at launch, including the amount of people streaming it etc. A big chunk of that is down to the existing fanbase the Harry Potter world already had, but even outside of that a lot of people really enjoyed and loved the game.

And then it fell off an absolute cliff because as much as they enjoyed it, the game had no legs after the launch period. It didn't do anything which stuck in people's mind. It didn't do anything to warrant on-going conversation. It didn't do anything unique or interesting. It didn't really have anything innovative. And it didn't do those things in a year full of games which did.

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve to be in a top 50 list of games in the year. However we don't know how that list was collated. For example, if Polygon had their reviewers/editors etc do their individual top 10 games of the years then collated/weighted up those rankings, maybe it wasn't in enough of their top 10s to make it on the list. But it's a bit extreme to ask "when game awards become so disconnected from the gaming community then what's their point anymore?" This was one websites opinion on their top 50 games of the year. That's all. Even Keighley's Game Awards, they're scored by a huge amount of votes from people in the industry. They're all also part of the "gaming community". Just because something sold well and was pretty well received/reviewed doesn't mean the "gaming community" think it's one of the best games of the year. The "gaming community" have barely mentioned Hogwart's Legacy since about March, whereas there have been so many games released this year that the "gaming community" will be talking about and discussing for years.

There's plenty of 8/10 games in that list. As I've said, this game doesn't exist for Polygon, they refused to even review it for reasons that have nothing to do with gaming. Sure, it's their stance and opinion to which they're perfectly entitled to, but it just goes to show where we are with gaming journalism and reviewers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Two games not in that Top 50 list that should be, are Boneraiser Minions and Witchfire (even if it's an early access title) and Lies of P should be top 10 easy. What a year for games though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't really get this complaint, to be honest. Do you want every single outlet to be exactly the same? Reviewing the same things, giving the same scores? Yeah, Polygon get up on their high horse more than most, but what's the harm? Is there a shortage of reviews out there or something? Are they the only site doing a top 50 this year or something?

Nice to see Pikmin 4 and Armored Core feature so highly. Pains me to see such good games not have the discourse that they deserve.

Okay, so Polygon didn't review it at all (which makes sense why it wouldn't be in their top50). But you're then ascribing that to "gaming journalism and reviewers" as a whole, and doing so on behalf on the "gaming community".

That's far too broad, and even then, Hogwarts Legacy wasn't really that great a game that it being left off a lot of say top 10 lists or game award nominations is an egregious omission.

Even with all the noise around the game and boycotting, the game was reviewed by the majority of sites, is the best-selling game of 2023 so far, and was generally well received. But taking the game purely on its own merits, it's just not a top 10 game of the year to the majority of people/reviewers. It's a good game in a year of absolutely amazing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t know why anyone would expect a game that wasn’t reviewed by a publication to appear on their best of listing. If they chose to not review it they probably didn’t play it that much?

People make too much of these things anyway, as if a list of the best games is an objective thing.

I think some people don't like it when a publication expresses an opinion about the game that differs from the opinion of some homogenous hivemind they've created that agrees with their opinion.

I understand the point about the fact Polygon are a game journalism/review website and they didn't review that game, one of the biggest releases of the year. But it also just doesn't matter. They're one website. Funnily enough, the game managed to become the best-selling game of 2023 even without Polygon's review. Everyone who wanted to buy and play the game, did so. Everyone who enjoyed the game, did so.

One website decided to neither play nor review the game due to their own personal stances on an issue around the game. That's their decision and their right. But to throw this up as "game awards becoming disconnected from the gaming community", or "showing where we are with games journalism and reviewers" is just pure nonsense. Particularly when the game in question likely wouldn't have cracked their top ten anyway. It just doesn't matter.

Funnily enough, the game managed to become the best-selling game of 2023 even without Polygon's review

Which kind of proves my point - gamers don't really care about these outlets.

I think the issue is they are expressing their opinion of the game based on politics surrounding the game which whatever your political stance I think we can all agree is awful journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The only thing the polygon list does for me is enforce why I don't engage in VG journalism!

It's just a bunch of opinions and they are so out of whack with how I enjoy games, that it's pointless even acknowledging their existence for me :D

• Advertisement

Yes, because they're subjective. Every review is entirely subjective regardless on how experienced the reviewer is, and each individual player will have their own opinion regardless of whatever any reviewer or even the general consensus of reviewers say. The outlets only provide information and then their own subjective thoughts and opinions. That's the way it has always been, in all forms of media/art.

"Gamers", are never a homogenous group. Some people do care about these outlets. Some don't. Some do sometimes. Some care about some outlets and trust basically the average opinion from those. Some people trust some reviewers where their opinions have generally aligned in the past, some trust other reviewers whose reviews remain more factual and informative rather than subjective opinions. Some may not trust any games media outlets and instead rely on advice from friends, even though those friends might have trusted those games outlets.

Ah yes, the notoriously apolitical act of journalism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All "journalism" is political: even saying "I don't have a political opinion" is itself, a political opinion of sorts. And maybe some people enjoy that kind of contextual writing - clearly if this was a problem the market would have said "no" to these publications long ago. Yet they persist.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My problem with Polygon is that every time they do something that some people think is controversial, this place fills up with the same argument again. Couldn't give two hoots about them, or any other reviewer for that matter, but this place devolves into a senseless borefest every god damn time.

Oh no, a website that's out to make money didn't agree with my opinion on a product that's made by a massive corporation out to make money, what ever shall I do? I know, let's go online and complain that their opinion is wrong, and that they should feel bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What I always find odd is the insistence that there’s one amorphous blob of ‘gamers’ who all share the exact same opinion, whether it’s about politics or even about individual games or outlets.

Disagree away with any given publication or opinion, but plurality is only to be welcomed. Plenty of websites and creators I have zero time for, but I wouldn’t for a second suggest that represents the final word of all who play video games.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other and believe it or not I've never even read a Harry Potter book or watched a full Harry Potter movie let alone played the game. I got 3/4 of the way through the first, fell asleep and never watched another one.

But my point is for a journalism website doing a self proclaimed top 50 games of the year list to not include a game based on the political cancel culture surrounding it is just god awful journalism to the extent they're not even worth the energy it is taking me to type these posts.

I can agree whole heartedly there are some fantastic games from 2023. We don't need a bullshit list. And it is undoubtedly bullshit in that it has no merit whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ubisoft need some good, fresh game designers and management to take the excellent developers, artists and open world game engine they have to the next level.

Or maybe they thought the game wasn't good enough.

I mean it's the best selling game of the year and didn't even make the final of the players choice in the game awards which is a public vote.

• Advertisement

It is possible. I've not played it and have absolutely no interest in playing it, so it's not in my top 50 😅

But my nephew whose bedroom is straight out of a Harry Potter merch catalog would disagree.

All just outlines how ridiculous this list is.

Advertisement