Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That was an example tbf. He'd a poor enough game in general.

I expected a bit more from him during his spell in the team, particularly in an attacking sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was terrific against City. I'd say going from barely playing, to now playing all of every game is tough enough, so I'm not too surprised at a drop off in his 3rd start in a week. Also, much like Robbo under this present system, we're not well suited to getting the most out of him going forward right now. With Trent vacating the right, the LB has to do a huge amount of work covering back, so it's not as easy for them to get forward as it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Pearce has, in general, always towed the club line, arguably being an unofficial mouthpiece for them, so it's interesting to see him writing this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Big match tomorrow.

These games away to bottom teams have cost us of late, and with tge new manager bounce ID take a 1-0 win now flying.

If he's to be a midfielder, he shouldn't be a 6 imo. Think he'd be better off playing further forward, in one of the two 8 positions, where he can dictate play a bit more and arrive at the edge if the box without his defensive shortcomings being so exposed.

100%

My initial reaction was "I wonder if the club have briefed him about a change of position" but now my fear is "I wonder if the club have briefed him about no number 6 coming in"

Just gut feel rather than checking numbers, but we seem to be the first team for a new manager a ridiculous amount!

They're like 12:30 kick offs 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Surprised at the criticism of Tsimikas. Thought he's done well since coming in, certainly attacking wise. 3 assists in 4 starts.

He's not the best defender in the world, but then we don't exactly play like 1990s Arsenal so we're always going to give up chances in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Right side of midfield would be the best position for him I think, but we are overloaded with options in those positions.

My thinking though, if you push him fully into midfield does he get the space he currently gets in the RB inverted role?

He reminds me of Gerrard, Gerrard wanted to dictate play, play in the centre but he never had the discipline. He had the biggest impact as a second striker or from the right of midfield.

Trent is a generational talent, a conventional role doesn't fit his qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'm nervous about this one now. There were actually protest among the fans when he was sacked 2 years ago. The place will be bouncing now upon his return tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Currently that’s exactly where he’s playing though. When we revert to the inverted set-up when in possession, you can see Trent sits deep with the 3 midfields just ahead of him. Mac takes a position more centrally and behind the 2 No.8’s for a short pass option for Trent, the others push wide for the diagonal pass option.

Its my pet peeve at the minute when people point out that MacAllister is getting caught out in the No.6 role and he’s not a natural there etc. That’s because he’s not actually playing in it!

But as Fulham did on Sunday and others before them, the space is at RB is getting greater and greater as Trent is not as enthusiastic as he was at the start about getting back into position. I think that’s secretly him making a point to Klopp about where he sees himself in this team in the long run.

The way we currently set-up, I don’t know what role a No.6 is going to play. As you suggested the only way it would work is if Trent plays as one of the No.8's. But I just can't see that happening myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Trent has played 4 or 5 seasons at right back and has not mastered the defensive requirements of the role. It may be over blown in the media but he has been caught out defensively in that position many times at the back post, etc. I don't see how we can learn the requirements of a defensive midfielder no.6 role. It would be like Gerard under Rodgers in the 13-14 season where we had no defensive midfielder at all. As people have said, if he is to play in midfield, it should be as a no.8 attacking midfielder.

All those general points taken.

I am not sure it explains his very poor delivery in the final third, getting the wrong side of people and giving away silly fouls.

Hopefully once this midweek is over it calms down for him and we can play chambers or someone for the final EL and next CC games. See if that makes a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has he not mastered them or has his role been to focus on attack first and foremost. I'm sure if he sat back and didn't venture any further up the field than the CBs then he'd be in position 90% of the time with play in front of him which would mean he's not sprinting back into massive amounts of space trying to block and tackle from behind.

Whatever we think his role has been set by Klopp and if he wasn't doing as instructed I doubt he'd still be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Correct. It's not that Trent is bad defensively as such, it's that he's an exceptionally talented footballer and is given leeway by the manager to push up much higher than average for a fullback. It's a risk for the team to effectively play 3 at the back at times, but the pros outweigh the cons in terms of his contributions further up the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Come on, lets be honest Trent is a terrible defender in the nullifying an attacker sense. He is so easy to go past and his positioning is very poor. But he offers so much else that Klopp has to find a way to overlook it.

My problem with potentially moving him into the DM position is that it will leave us even more exposed. Call me old fashioned but I like my DM to be able to break up the play, like Mascherano or Fabinho in his first couple of seasons. Whilst I dont think Endo is the answer, his sliding tackle to win back the ball as soon as a Fulham player barely miscontrolled the ball is exactly what we need. MacAllister or Thiago arent exactly the answer either as they are not athletic enough but at least they try to tackle, Trent doesnt seem interested in that side of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

There would be a mistake made in every goal. You can assess every little move of every defender to find where they screwed up in some way. Either someone did not commit a foul in the build-up, or stood off someone to allow them to pass/cross the ball or did not jump high or far enough to stop the goal being scored. The weird obsession on focusing on those mistakes is interesting to me (not saying you are, just a general observation🙂).

You get it with some players from all teams. There is always someone who screws up more than anyone else, even though a few other "mistakes" would have been made in the build up by the team that concedes. Look at how people are now starting to focus on Reece-James, suddenly questions are being asked about his defending as well.

A bit of a rant, someone like Carragher analyzing a goal irritates me, the way he points out where and who made the mistake according to him. I have no problem with those type of analysis but maybe it is the way he says it. It sometimes sounds like he never made a mistake so how can this defender make a mistake like that? That could be my bias as well, I don't mind him as a pundit, but just how he analyzes a goal sometimes and gets very critical of the defending. I would have thought he would understand that sometimes crap happens to a player, like scoring 2 own goals in a match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Oh I totally agree with you,every goal conceded is totally over analysed. I was just highlighting kyle walker because of the blame tsimiskas was getting for the 3rd goal. Tsimikas has done fine since he came in for Robertson. Remember there were some critical of Robertson's performances before he got injured,even though they haven't realised his role has slightly changed and he can't get forward as much as before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

most attacking full backs are easy to go past these days tbf.

IMO, when Trent was played a small bit deeper and told to get to the byline rather than come inside on the underlap (think 2018-2021 ish time period), he was a better individual. He was brilliant at intercepting the ball on the half way line and driving forwards. The Barca game for example, but that happened a good bit. It allowed Salah to play more central too.

But obviously the coaching team think that the actual team are better overall having him play more central as a RB (around 2021 ish -> ) and more central overall in his hybrid position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Tomorrow night with a new manager, under lights, full house - so so important we start fast and try to get an early goal to quieten things down.

We have had tough away games so 10pts from 21pts is not too bad but the next 2 are must win away from home games if we want to win the title.

Feels very unfortunate timing wise alright.

Vital we are solid, chances will come.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is it on Irish tv?

Premier Sports 2

(They have Luton vs Arsenal and Wolves vs Burnley tonight, us and United vs Chelsea tomorrow, Spurs vs West Ham and Everton vs Newcastle Thurs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

My gut is in 100% agreement. We’re every ManU manager’s last game and every other manager’s first game! 😛

Jota back running already on the field but not in team training,Allison is closer but obviously not ready for tomorrow night. Wonder is there a small chance he could be ready for the Palace game? He probably won't be risked anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

My aim would be Alisson back for United and Jota back after Stephens Day to get some minutes before Salah heads off.

Matip is long term. Maybe season ending from the way Klopp spoke.

If he's gone for the season, that's probably the end of his Liverpool career, which would be a horrible way to see him go.

Would also mean a CB buy in January most likely, if anyone of the right standard is available.

Yep, I agree. It'd be a shame if he doesn't feature again for the club.

Probably 9ne of our best ever free signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tomorrow night against Sheffield has become a much more difficult task than it looked like it was going to be last week. Always hate playing a team after they get a drubbing as there tends to be a backlash the next day out, added to that a new manager, who already knows the club and most of the players, we can expect them to be really fired up for it and the crowd buzzing, so I expect Kelleher will be busier than expected, which could spell trouble for us. It's the kind of game we need to be winning if we are to challenge for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He creates a ridiculous amount, not sure how that can be 'over egged'.

He contributed hugely in the 3rd and 4th goal at the weekend.

If he didn't knock that header to Salah then Endo doesn't equalise.

If he doesn't show some serious endeavour and cross that rebound then no goal for TAA.

He is a cluster* *** in front of goals but those were serious contributions, regardless that they were pre-assists or whatever people are calling them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Joel is a huge loss if the vibe from Klopp is a reflection of where he is.

He's a hugely talented player, a unique talent in a lot of ways, u typical skillset for a CB. He's not played enough through his career though, he's had several injuries unfortunately - the body has struggled with the workload at times but he is a very very talented player. Hopefully we see him back fit later in the season, but it didn't sound good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Have the Men in Black gotten to you? No way Liverpool buy a CB in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Regardless of new manager bounce, raucous home support, wanting to bounce back from a hiding - it's Sheffield United and if we don't take maximum points then we have only ourselves to blame.

If we have any title aspirations whatsoever, we go there and win.

Similar to Agger,talented but just too injury prone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yeah, sure let's be honest.

We didn't spend 80m to get someone who can't finish or who can just be a bit of a nuisance.

All you say is true but it would be even more impressive if he was a cheap signing or an academy player but I just sometimes feel we are moving the goalposts a bit on what the original expectations were on a marquee signing like that.

It's ok while we are winning and while we are doing well but I'd hope he can get himself to the stage where he can regularly score when Salah isn't around.

Everyone has a view on Nunez, what do you see as a successful season for him in terms of goals and assists?

for the money we paid 25+ goals and 15+ assists. he won't even come close tho, im sick of hearing, "hes a rough diamond give him time" blah blah. "and he causes chaos" hes there 18 months ffs, ive a feeling we got ourselves a dud.

So just the 40 goals and assists:) Outside of Haaland & Salah, I doubt anyone else in the league will get to that target

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Plenty of expensive players don't deliver,he is middle of the road currently but with a high ceiling possibilities imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If Sheffield United set up like I expect them to under Wilder (deep 5-3-2), Matip's line breaking runs will be a miss.

On the other hand, I would expect Gravenberch to miss out as his ball carrying runs are more into space closer to the opposition box and that space just might not be there. That's his big strength at the moment.

I think it was this game in 21-22 where Trent kind of started doing the inverting and played as a somewhat RCB in a back 3 in periods of the game.

Last season Mo got 19 goals and 12 assists.

Across the top five leagues not one single player got 25 goals and 15 assists. Haaland was the only player to register 40 combined

I think your expectations might be a little askew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thought Luton were doing us a favour there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's the hope that kills you🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I honestly hating all these games going to 98th-99th minute and 1st halves going 50+mins.

We seem to concede goals or get injuries in those times and again arsenal benefit from a game that should have over already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Liverpool get plenty of late goals so no complaints from me about 97-98 minutes. You keep going until it's over. Fair play to Arsenal. That was a huge win for them with City away to Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Advertisement