Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Another number TV seal for the EPL. Details are slim enough, buy talks about more games and more coverage, and probably more money overall for the clubs.

I watch the EPL, but it's having a huge impact on competition in. European football. Few clubs across Europe can compete with even the smallest clubs like Bournemouth or Brighton idld they set their sights on a player. It's no wonder they are looking to jump to an expanded Champions League or even a Super League - this EPL is already a super league in all but name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone see the documentary Stasi FC? It's about BFC Dynamo in the former east Germany who became state backed in the 70s. They won the title 10 years in a row from 1978 to 1988.

After the fall of the wall the state backing disappeared and they suffered consecutive relegations until they were out of the league and went bankrupt. They are back now playing in the fourth division.

You just never know what's going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So much for the whole 'respect' campaign for referees when Haaland was up roaring in the referees face, and then also Kovacic too, and can get away with it. Neither were captain either.

The PL really do pick and chose when to implement their guidelines. No consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The under-achieving Manchester United galacticos throwing another manager under the bus, with sky reporting he has lost half the dressing room, I feal for Manchester United supporters as we had the same, until Dyche rolled up his sleeves, we are far from great, but we're putting in a shift which is a change.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just waiting for the Golden Miller's tale of how they are the true giant of German football and Bayern are frauds now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ederson came up fm the box to be involved, it was in the semi circle....zero point in fining clubs.

New TV deal though, just what everyone wanted, more Micah Richards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,537 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

De Gea to Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ten Hag has created a lot of the problems that are at the club as well and can't be absolved of blame either. He is there nearly a season and a half now and and no one can say what sort of a game plan he is trying to implement or what tactics he wants the players to carry out. Some of the players he wanted at the club and got(Onana,Amrabat,Anthony to name three) have been very questionable.

He threw Harry Maguire under the bus when he thought he was off to West ham,yet he is one of the few doing a shift for the club at the moment.

If rumours are to be believed,Rashford is leading this unrest amongst some players against Ten Hags training methods,yet Ten Hag sanctioned a new contract for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

While Ten Hag hasn’t handled some situations well this season(dealing with Sancho, wanting Greenwood back in), it’s another example of player power in action at United.

Every time something goes wrong they seem happy to down tools, let the manager take the flak every week in front of the cameras and just coast along until the new guy is in.

Major clearout of the older players needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Knew Haalands face looked familiar

IMO, it's not a coincidence that there is a leak of players being unhappy at the manager, just after there is an uptick in criticism in the media of Rashford.

He's been part of the squad that has got LVG, Jose, OGS, Rangnick sacked but somehow does not get grouped in with Pogba, Lingard, Martial etc when talking of 'bad eggs'. His body language and laziness is amongst the worst in the squad this season. That 'performance' against Newcastle was chronic. He didn't try a leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If ever there was a player that needed to be publicly told to **** off it is Jadon Sancho, I'd say there is a long list of managers who wanted to do the same. I see quotes from Matic this morning just reinforcing what everybody else knows, that Sancho is an unprofessional waster.

Ten Hag has made plenty of mistakes but I take no issue with how he handled Sancho. It will really stick in United fans throats when Ten Hag gets sacked and that waster strolls back into the dressing room, probably late as usual.

Not disagreeing with you about Sancho but that is not the moment or major reason that will cost(looks more than likely at this stage) Ten Hag his job. If Ten Hag had been better at his job,like trying to implement a game plan and not signing players from his own club who are not good enough,he could of told utd to sell sancho in January/next summer. He would of had plenty of credit in the bank for this to happen.

Look at klopp when he came into Liverpool,Sahko was a known messer and not the best disciplined but he played him away until Sahko fooked up one final time during pre season training and Sahko was shown the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Rashford certainly looked like he was leading the revolt at the weekend, with his effort - but its always the managers fault with this group of under-achievers , effort should be the bare minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sakho was also a poor player, and that’s the main reason Klopp was happy to see him mess up.

I see Utd have banned journalists from the Manchester Evening News from attending their press conference today. That never ends well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What style of play do you believe ETH should be implementing with a team that includes Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Dalot, McT, Rashford etc..

What style do you think those players are capable of playing at a high level and winning enough points to get CL?

Klopp got rid of Sahko but he also had time to build out his team with a very good football team above him helping with the squad building.

Remember Klopp first 3 finishes at Liverpool were 8th, 4th and 4th.

Arteta finished 8th twice.

It takes time to rebuild and that's with clubs who have competent people above the manager working on targets

Fergie banned journalists who made it their business to write rubbish about the club all the time.

It's a move ETH should have made from the start.

For a decade now bad journalists have been able to make a very handsome living by writing rubbish about Utd. It's time their access was cut.

• Advertisement

North Korea style censorship!

That'll teach those pesky players who leaked bad stories to the media!

Put it another way,what style of football should he be playing with Malacia,Martinez,Casemiro,Erikson,Amrabat,Mount,Anthony,Hoijlund? These are all players that have been signed under his tenure and surely he should be implementing a game plan with this core of players and filling in the gaps with the players you mentioned until he has the chance to get rid of them.

You mentioned Rashford,ten Hag was quite happy for him to sign a new contract and now it seems as if rashford could end up being the player to cost him his job. Why didn't Ten Hag sell him and use the money to buy a striker that will play for the team or at least put in a shift and work his ass off on the field?

Ten Hag won a trophy and got champions league football with "these" players last season and there wasn't half the noise coming from fans and pundits. Suddenly things are a bit rough and it's all the players fault again without looking at the failures the manager.

You mentioned klopp,he brought in a game plan and stuck with it even though he didn't have the players he required for it to be successful at the start,but everyone could see what he was trying to do. And there was progress each season.Finished 8th the first season(only came in October of that season). 4th the following season,4th again with a champions league final appearance is progress in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I'm sure any Liverpool/City/Arsenal/neutral fan posting about how ETH needs to be sacked is coming from a totally 100% sincere position

As a Liverpool fan I am trying to look at it as objectively as possible,all I see is a majority of fans and pundits now turning and putting all the blame on the players yet again. But Ten Hag seems to be absolved of blame by the majority again. Now in fairness there are a few in the utd thread questioning his tactics and transfers which is fair imo. Remember this is the manager who wanted Greenwood back in the squad. Would I as a Liverpool fan like to see him sacked? No because I just think he is not a very good manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are valid criticisms of Ten Hag, but I don't understand why Rashford getting a contract is one of them? That would have happened under any manager.

And putting the blame on the players yet again? Surely you know why you had to use the words "yet again" there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Honestly I don’t care if he stays or goes, the problems at Utd are bigger than him. Whoever comes in will have the same issues.

Malacia,Martinez,Casemiro,Erikson,Amrabat,Mount,Anthony,Hoijlund as you picked out have all been missing for large parts of the season so far.

There hasn't been a game yet where he has had the bulk of the players available. I would say the team should definitely be playing better than it is but at the same time we can't ignore what is on the pitch week to week.

Also going from Utd's worst-ever PL finish points-wise to 3rd and first trophy in 6 years inside 12 months is progress. Good progress.

The team was developing a style last season but it's hard to implement that style when you have such a mismatched squad of player profiles. The results of a decade of mismanagement above the manager. ETH could go the route of "play the same way above all else" but that would see Harry Maguire on the halfway line losing footraces each week to a different PL striker. Ange is taking this approach at Spurs and he is 0 for 5 since losing a couple of first team players - you can't go 0 for 5 at Utd. Look at the pressure ETH is under and he has won 6 from his last 9 in the league.

I understand why rival fans would want ETH to get the sack - Utd end up back at square one maybe a few of the dossers in the squad get new deals to "protect" their value and we can watch the players throw another manager under the bus in 18 months time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The supposed leakers are complete red herrings. You didn't hear much if anything about the player's thoughts on Greenwood returning but did hear about the backroom staff which makes me think a lot of these "sources" are just club workers and people around the team but not the ones in it.

I'm gonna take a guess and say you aren't familiar with the work of Samuel Luckhurst. He makes a living out of printing unfounded rubbish about Utd on the regular for Manchester Evening News. This is not leaked stories or the likes - he looks to pile on negative stories around the club because it generates the most traffic for his articles with little to no evidence to back them up. There is no journalistic integrity at stake here.

The Sun is banned in Liverpool for spreading lies (at a much higher level of scumbag it has to be said). Sometimes you have to take a stand against these gutter journalists

I've semi-heard of him thriving on the negatives, and doing the whole clikbait stuff on the negativity. Banning him as an induvial, while it is petty, ok look it's one guy. But weren't Sky Sports, ESPN, The Mirror also banned, in addition to the MEN being banned with Sam Luckhurst? That's edging too close to being a blanket ban for anyone that said anything bad about you. There's no smoke without fire and with the history of the players leaking that they are unhappy with previous managers and their methods, it's hard to not believe these stories again. Whether they are true or not, there is logic behind them and let's call a spade a spade, there is probably some truth in them. Which could then be sensationalized possibly.

Banning The Sun is nowhere near as close. Completely different circumstances. A more revelvant comparison (and likewise you might not be aware which is fine) but Klopp doesn't like Simon Hughes the Liverpool Athletic journo and has called him out before in a press conference. He has called out James Pearce (and wrongly sometimes IMO) a few times at press conferences too. They have had some cross words, but both have their access in tact.

• Advertisement

Utd statement on the ban -

"We are taking action against a number of news organisations today.

"Not for publishing stories we don’t like, but for doing so without contacting us first and give us the opportunity to comment, challenge or contextualise."

So the ban is for these journalists publishing stories without giving the clubs a chance to add their voice to them. Not very journalistic of them... but we've known this for a while. Negative stories about Utd sell - the truth or giving the club a chance to add their side to it was never a concern.

Excellent move by the club

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Personally I think a lot of Utd's issues stem from the level of wages that they pay before players prove themselves; most sportspeople are driven by wages as most of us would be. It impacts their motivation and creates a level for new players coming in whose agents want £x per week due to existing players already earning it.

Easy to not be too bothered if you are earning 200k+ per week and rarely play.

Their current manager should be judged on the players he has signed and if existing players have improved/worsened whilst working with him.

The idea that the owners impact them when results are not good but are not mentioned if things are going ok is another problem with mentality. It would be an issue if the manager was told his transfer budget is what he takes in on sales of existing players, from what I can see their current manager has had plenty to spend to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Absolutely. Mediocrity has been rewarded since SAF retired. It started with paying Rooney £300k a week when he was obviously well past his best and continued with the likes of Schweinsteiger, Pogba, Martial, Sanchez, Varane, and now Rashford and Sancho.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see that Sky and TNT have retained their rights packages from 2025 onward.

One new addition is games moved to Sunday as a result of Thursday matches will now also be shown live by Sky.

Every game, outside of games played at 3pm on Saturday, will be shown live by either Sky or TNT. TNT keep the 12:30 Saturdays, Sky everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Still zero competition.

Shows how much they give a stuff about fans. Bigger packages, bigger subscription fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is probably the long and short of it and I've thought the same multiple times.

It doesn't quite explain why the likes of City and the traditional European super clubs don't usually suffer from the same thing though.

I think the fanbase has a bearing on it too. Players used to be given a lot of slack by United fans but now if you play badly once you are useless and should be shipped out immediately.

As much as you can say they should be able to ignore it I think the club itself act reactionarily (is that a word) too based on the fan perception and sort of buy into it being a bit of a soap opera so that they can get engagement. They then wonder why the unchecked bad engagement affects players.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Amazon were in the running but didn't win any packages.

To be honest, the fewer packages there are the better it is for customers. Having lots of small packages just becomes nonsense.

Smaller broadcasters cannot compete with the price of the packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The problem is that it's set up as a cartel rather than to drive competition.

As you rightly point out, multiple smaller packages is not in the consumers interest but couldn't it have been set up so that Package A has all games for Satellite TV, Package B has all games for Streamers, Package C has all games for cable. Then let consumers decide which they want to pay for based on genuine competition between different offerings for the same product.

Mad stat this. Players who played in each managers first game and last game just gone.

Arteta - 1 

Howe - 2

Klopp - 0

Pep - 0

Emery - 5

Ten Hag - 6

Go a little deeper and the players are

Ten Hag:

Shaw

Maguire

Dalot

Bruno

McTominay

Rashford

Arteta:

Saka

Howe:

Joelinton

Emery:

Martinez

Digne

Watkins

Luiz

Bailey.

I don't care how bad it gets. I want a no nonsense lad to sort it out for another few seasons. This is his second season like, I expect the fans to get behind him tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The interesting one there really is Howe - how quickly Newcastle have totally changed their team. Not too surprising I guess given the money spent, but still, it's a lot of turnover in a short time. Pep, Arteta, and Klopp are all in the job years, so it's not a surprise to see the starters from when they arrived have moved on.

And likewise, Ten Hag and Emery aren't in the job too long, so it looks about right that half the starters are still active - though it really shows how impressive Emery's job has been, getting massively improved performances out of so many players who were so poor under the previous manager.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I wanted to like Luton. I wanted to support the underdogs.

But given how their team are playing with so many late hits and given the support of the fans they are very hard to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nobody likes them but they don't care when they're 3-2 up against the league leaders😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Amazon have Champions League games so I think they maybe going after that market and testing the waters there with the 1st pick game for a Tuesday night from next season so 17 games

Can Luton pull off another result against one of the big boys?

• Advertisement

God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wonder where the ref got those extra 20 seconds from

When Luton got the header from that free kick it should've been over

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

All of Luton's time wasting on the throw ins I'm guessing. Great call by the ref

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement