Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭pureza

Yeah but this process was a stupid move by Sinn Féin

The open goal they created for themselves shown by Martin pointing out that not once in the Dáil in the last number of months did Mary Lou a t.d for the area bring up fears of an imminent uprising in D1 or the problems she spoke of today

He holed Sinn féin under the water with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

SF are the ones with a history forcing a woman to come back to her job during maternity leave so if anyone needs to pull their heads out of their asses its them. Also Eamon wasn't going on a business trip he was representing the country at an international climate summit but you keep trying to spin that lie if it makes you feel better. The Dail doesn't need to shut down thus the idea of matching votes which is perfectly reasonable and SFs refusal to engage with the process which has existed at all levels of politics in the country for decades is cynical and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Augme

So he went on work related trip. As I said, a business trip. Now if climate champion Eamonn decided his work at home was worth taking a couple of more long distance flights for then that's his decision.

It's a business trip. Its an awful Leo, Micheal and Eamonn never bothered asking anyone to match up, it's almost as if trying to make a big controversy out of it to points score was important.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He is representing the country at this event. Doesn't matter whether one agrees with him or not. It is for this reason I called him Minister Ryan. In other situations I would probably refer to him as Eamon Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What an idiotic post. Every other country in the world has their representatives at the conference and some bright sparks think Ireland should stay at home.

• Advertisement

No one said he should stay at home. But his decision to attend, come back snd then attend was his and his alone. He didn't have to come back, his vote wasn't needed and they woukd have known that we'll before. But instead they made a song and dance about it and never even bothered to find a pairing themselves. Eamonn clearly doesn't give that much of a **** about emissions from flights given that was his attitude towards the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

That motion by SF was a spectacular misstep. Things now back in the national conversation - Johnny Dowdall, Paul Quinn, Jerry McCabe, Martin Ferris picking up the murderers of Jerry McCabe; Aengus Ó Snodaigh and his various interesting background stories, standing ovations.

More focus as well on SF’s funding, property portfolio, and leadership structures.

Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭acceletor

I'd say Mary Lou's corn flakes are salty this morning.......

Sinn Fein refused a pairing. As the main opposition party that is their prerogative. However, they read the room extremely badly on this and left the Social Democrats steal a big PR plus on them.

As much as you try to make this about Ryan, this is all on Sinn Fein.

I don't think that makes it a misstep, arguable it might be a good thing for them. I'd say for most people it just highlights how out touch FG are with reality and with whats happening in the Dublin city centre. Leo referencing Warrington, Enniskillen, et all seemed very strange to me.

Does Leo really think Urantsetseg Tserendorj cares that much about bombings that happened 30 years ago when his wife was stabbed to death 2 years ago?

Does Leo think the person in a coma after being assaulted two nights ago cares that much about it?

People in Dublin inner city are afraid of being murdered now while out in Dublin inner city, I don't think what happened 30 years ago is impacting their day to day life.

• Advertisement

When did Leo, Micheal or Eamonn ask for a pairing for the no confidence votes in McEntee? I must have missed that.

Culture doesn't appear overnight, it builds up over years. That is why places like Derry and West Belfast have the highest rates of domestic violence against women, because of a culture of violence built up, promulgated, promoted and defended by Sinn Fein and the PIRA. Pointing to that culture of violence and its acceptance within the party - look at the leading figures of Dessie Ellis and Angus O'Snodaigh down here and Gerry Kelly up there - is the responsibility of those who oppose Sinn Fein.

It isn't just governments who define culture, minorities can do so, and the minorities that have supported Sinn Fein for the last 30 years are attached to a culture of violence, of lawlessness, of rejection of the authority of the State. All of those are huge factors in what happened on that Thursday night to extremely relevant to point it out.

I agree, the culture of violence has build up under Fine Gaels time in Government and the massive worry is they seem incapable of reversing it. How many tourists getting assaulted, workers getting murdered, businesses getting destroyed and children and creche workers getting stabbed before Fine Gael and McEntee start paying attention?

Did you read my post? Culture doesn't just come from government, it comes from parts of society. We know which political parties have promoted a culture of violence, we know what traditions have joined in, we know the areas of this island where violence has become a way of life.

I did read your post. Did you not read mine? Fine Gael are responsible for law and order in Ireland, and have been in government for 12 years. Why have they failed communities so badly on this area? They are clearly out of their depth trying to deal with it since you admit they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

If anyone is interested:

Fianna Fáil 35, Fine Gael 30, Green 10, Independents 8

Staon

Independents 1

Níl

Sinn Féin 35, Labour 7, PBP-S 5, Social Democrats 5, I4C 1, Independent 9, Aontú 1

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/vote/dail/33/2023-12-05/170/

Sorry if I got anything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not sure if you are aware but you can mute individual posters. It might make the thread more readable alright not having to read their tedious back & forth over Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The issue is a law and order issue.

We all know Sinn Fein's past and the irony of them talking about law and order.

But it should be the Fine Gael backbenchers and party itself looking for McEntee to go. They are supposed to be the party of law and order and for many, the riot was a culmination of a breakdown in law and order under her watch.

I think many people in Dublin don't trust that she's the person to reduce crime and make the streets safe. She's a liability. While she's in office, people will stay away from town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

From the article it looks like one of those scams where thy use the image of a celebrity to sell Bitcoin and the like. He wants them to reveal any details they have on the creator.

Was it bad in general like they seem to be or was it bad at a particular party ? I ask because I remember after the last election when the nominations for Taoiseach were being made, and Mary Lou McDonald was nominated, RBB made what I still think was an unnecessarily personal speech. He could have said it in a more parliamentary way. It’s why I’m convinced there’ll never be a government “of the left” because SF or whoever could never trust the PBP etc to not get the hump if things weren’t exactly as agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

PBP have pretty much said that they'll never be in Government - so much easier to sit on the sidelines whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why is MLM doubling down on her lie the school wasn't contacted by the government when there's bags of evidence to disprove it? Just seems like needless own goal after own goal from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’m not sure all is ok in SF tbh. Has there been a change in the leadership and decision making parts of the party?

Don’t know but for some reason a tweet from a SF councillor from east cork announcing she was leaving the party. Most of the replies were in support of her, and yeah at least from a small sample size there was less than a positive response to Sinn Fein the party. One that stuck out was the party this councillor joined and the one now are like “oil and water.”

It is both simplistic and reductionist to describe the scenes of that Thursday night as a law and order issue.

As I said there are deep cultural issues at play, many of the nasty, anti-establishment thuggery having been fostered over decades by political groups such as PBP and SF. It has effectively been harnessed more recently by right-wing groups, but without the work of the anti-establishment political parties over the previous decades, it wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A bit far fetched to blame things from decades ago.

The issue of crime in Dublin has gotten worse since covid ended and McEntee hasn't properly dealt with it. She's in charge. Not Sinn Fein or PBP.

• Advertisement

Advertisement