Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes we use near on 15,000 kWh annually (car battery is 86.5 and charged once a week so that will be circa 4.5-5) and we have a heat pump.

no electric showers .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Heat pumps seem to be a big drain on electricity.

I was considering one but I'll definitely hold off for as long as I can.

You have to remember it’s replacing an oil or gas bill, my electricity usage is high but my overall bills for home energy and heating and car fuelling are relatively low.

I know that alright but oil ( plus solid fuel for the fire) is roughly €1k a year for me.

The upfront cost and then the yearly electric cost seems high to me. Plus, I suspect our house may not be airtight enough. It's A3 rated but realistically a B3 due to the ratings jump from solar panels.

Solar panels were a no brainier at the time, best thing I ever invested in, and basically will mean a near net zero electric bill. Fantastic technology.

I'm not bought on heat pumps yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

That's a fairly wild statement. How much power they pull very much depends on things like how well insulated and airtight your house is. Some houses are not suited to heat pumps like my parents 250 year old leaky gaf whereas my new build passive house is ideally suited.

Combined with solar, annual energy bills can be slashed if the heat pump is installed in homes adequately suited to their use.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement

our house was a new build 6 years ago so was A3 without solar so its heatpump appropriate it guess.

My total energy costs for 2022 to include all heating, car fuel and powering the house was a net of 2,700 (there was some grant last year as well wasnt there from the govt so you could add that back?)

doesnt seem too bad.

Is it wild?

How much would a heat pump cost to buy and retrofit firstly, and then ball park how many kW per year would it take to heat, and heat water for a 4 bed semi D. As I said house is A3 but probably more like a B3 when it comes to air tightness.

Ballpark figures. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The heatpump manufacturers claim a COP of about 5 these days. So, if I understand correctly, each kWh consumed results in 4-5 kWh of heat in the house. Compare this with resistance heating's 1 or boiler's 0.75-0.90 depending on whether is a condensing one or not. You'd want pretty low gas vs electricity price to match the HP vs boiler running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Go ask an engineer. I can only go off my property.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And those COP 5 figures are very optimistic, under ideal circumstances in a house dedicated for it (like underfloor heating throughout and no radiators). Also once the outside temp goes below zero, there is no chance of those range COPs even in a perfect new passiv house setup or a complete ground up deep refit of an existing house.

And your point is pertinent. Even if you get an average COP of 4, then with an electricity price of 35c and a gas / oil price of 10c, you have zero savings. And an enormous install bill that is not even starting to pay back for itself. For now. No doubt electricity will become cheaper and gas / oil more expensive over time

Unless you either get a massive subsidy (way higher than current levels) and / or you do it for environmental reasons and / or you have extremely cheap night rate and a large battery and / or you can get the A2W heatpump hardware relatively cheaply and you can do the install DIY, I wouldn't go there myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It does sound like a match make in heaven if you have lots of battery storage. Although selling 5c electricity at 25c is even better, but no other heating system could touch 2c/kWh.

Aye. Perfect if you have a combo of several of the above. Like huge battery, powerful inverter and super cheap night rate. I have all that and certainly plan to not replace my 10 year old gas boiler when it goes. But the €8-9k cost of materials alone for an A2W heatpump is way too high for me. I will settle for an A2A system costing a fraction of that with a real life COP of maybe 2-2.5 rather than an A2W with a real life COP of maybe 3.5-4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ablelocks

here is a new flogas affinity rate, but not sure it beats some of the current rates though - fixed at 33.48c incl vat for 12 months.

Certa Affinity Rate | flogas.ie - until Dec 12th

Certa Exclusive Offer 07.11.23.pdf (flogas.ie) - t's and c's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That Flogas Certa offer is mad.

Sure they already have a fixed rate electricity offer cheaper than that

Discover our best gas and electricity rates and prices | Save with Flogas Energy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks, i had a feeling that might be the case but hadn't time to check.

in the t's and c's theres also a Certa Exclusive Smart Fixed Rate Electricity 1YR mentioned, but no link to it.

Pity no tempting night rate to go along with that, then it would become interesting.

Considering the lack of demand for electricity at night in general, why are we not seeing more competitive night rate offers?

Energia made an absolute killing on their 7/8c right rate that swept thousands and thousand of customers into the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Unbelievable performance from A2A, been saying it for years…new refrigerants and clever inverters are incredible. I’m using no more than 4kwh per day to heat the house, 21deg 24hrs a day, 365 a year unless summer were 19 degrees is nice. . Recently replaced two Hitachi A2A with a single 3.5kw Mitsubishi unit- I thought the Hitachi’s were efficient but the new one is doing the job of two for less consumption.

Anyway, apologies, not the renewables thread- can someone please bring back good value D/N rates!! Somebody has to use our night time wind energy ..

Good value D/N rates? How about Pinergy. I pay 5c for any unit I want to use. As long as I use them between 2AM and 5AM. Best rate we've seen around for years 😁

Rest of the time isn't great if you don't have a solar set up though, and it's just 4 hours night vs the regular 9.

Yep, you'll probably need a battery setup tbh.

Outside of the fantastic 3hr window it's gouging rates. Will suit some people (people with batteries, low daytime usage) , but not the majority.

BTW, the 5c rate is 3hrs, not 4.

• Advertisement

The Energia EV plan is another option.

8c EV rate (4 hrs)

36c Day

Probably suit those with solar with smaller battery pack, or people with lowish daytime usage.

Indeed. But if you do calculations you will find that for people who think the 4 hour Energia window gets them by most days, almost all of those people would be better off with the narrower 3 hour Pinergy slot. Even though they would then regularly run out and pay the gouging rates. The huge discount of 5c vs 8c for the vast majority of units, plus the €100 welcome cash bonus, more than compensates for running out

Although it is gutting to see yourself running out, you have to stay rational about these savings overall 😁

For myself, it is getting uncomfortably close on December days like the rainy, dark day we had today. My problem is more my 12kVA connection though. I would be laughing with 16kVA. Also I could shift hot water heating from electricity go gas, then I would never have to worry about running out of the 5c rate

I'm not sure those maths make sense. An hour less on the night rate, but 3c per hour less, hardly compensates for 21 hours at 5c more!!

(for those without a battery setup)

Ah maybe I wasn't clear in my last post. Apologies, when I make this argument I almost always mention it: those 3 or 4 hour super cheap night rates with gouging day rates only suit people with EV / battery, who will consume a very significant percentage of their electricity in that slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

At moment i am with flogas, Day night rate (but smart meter now installed so can switch to smart plans),

I pay around 16c at night, 34c in day, fixed about 1.02/day (rural)

Have heat pump, EV,small battery, I am not seeing anything wildly better than this - those with EV rate for 3 hours seem to be miserable rates the rest of the day. Heat pump means i need a good night rate - wont heat the house during 3 hour EV rate - big house so heat pump is thirsty.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

https://www.energia.ie/guide-to-smart-meters/smart-ev or if you can charge enough in 3 hours to do you the next day if you have a large battery set up for the 5c Pinergy night rate.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yeah, to take advantage of those ~3 hour windows requires a lot of management too.

It's fine saying use the dryer at night until a child starts screaming about how they need something asap for soccer / ballet / disco / pick your poison here.

It really doesn't take much management.

It can be significant savings with not a huge amount of effort.

If you are paying 5c for 95% of your units and you also get a €100 welcome bonus, you really don't need to worry about occasionally having to put the dryer on at full day rate. Or even having to charge the car. The savings from this rate are huge

And as @Bobeagleburger said, there is very little management on this. Everything runs on schedule between 2AM and 5AM, like storage heaters / heat pump, hot water heating, car charging, battery charging. And if you like, appliances. The latter is not even really necessary if you have a bigger battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Is there anyway to set up battery storage without the solar panels?

Advertisement