Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone aware of a new Ryanair boarding card policy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Going into a slight soapbox here, but the cabin baggage thing really does my head in.

I'm 6'3" and usually travel with a backpack. It does (technically) fit under the seat, but when I do that I'm forced to bend my legs for the whole flight.

I don't want to carry a bigger bag because I don't need it and it occupies space that could go to other passengers, but I really hate the way airlines effectively punish people who travel light by insisting that they can't use the overhead space at all.

End of rant.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why would the EU require this? If a group get onto a bus they aren't guaranteed seats together, if they get onto a Luas they aren't guaranteed seats together, if they get onto a train they aren't guaranteed seats together*. So why do you want airlines to do this when no other transport operator has to?

If you want guaranteed seats on a plane go with an airline that offers it for free and pay sustainably more for your flight than paying for seats on Ryanair. Even AerLingus charges for seats.

*You can get free assigned seats on a train, but all trains are heavily subsidised so they can do this. If the EU subsidises airlines then they can tell them to give away free seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

This happened me over two years ago when returning from Manchester.

I started a thread about it in the Travel forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

UK to non-EU destinations (and intra-UK) FR flights are operated by Ryanair UK, which is legally and operationally a separate company. Of course the same corporate branding applies but it operates as a UK rather than an EU carrier.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

My thoughts too. Similar to when they introduced assigned seating. The fear of getting allocating the other end of the aircraft from your mate/partner pushed people to pay for selected seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭Allinall

At what point did you know you had to join the queue, and how did you find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They are not punishing people for traveling light. They are charging for the use of the overhead bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Literally when I was checking in the day before. It tells you straight away on the app that you will have to go to the airport desk to get your boarding pass. But you can get it now if you pick (and pay) for a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I saw large queues at the Ryanair ticket desk in Dublin yesterday. I thought there must have been a cancelled flight but it turns out people were just trying to get a boarding pass. Using up daa staffing power to manage the queue and causing unnecessary stress on the Ryanair ticket desk staff.

This needs to stop. It's a farcical new thing they've introduced just to try and get more money out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Happened to me last Friday evening when I went to check in for a flight roughly 12 hours later. Couldn't believe it, I assumed it was a tech issue.

Regarding overbooking, I've seen manifests at the gate which had 191 people booked (on a NG) but only 160 something had checked in. So you can certainly see why they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

The policy is certainly real.

Last Friday I had a flight from Dublin. I checked in on the app about 30 minutes before checkin closed. (So about 2:30 before departure time).

I did not book a seat.

At the end of the check in process, the app told me that I would need to collect my ticket from the check in desk at the airport, but it did offer me the opportunity, even at this last state, to pay for a seat and get by boarding card in the app.

At the airport, I asked why this was, and was told that it was a new policy only implemented 3 days earlier. They couldn't tell me what the cut off was for getting it in the app vs having to queue up at the airport.

I also wonder if using the airport self service machines to checkin would avoid the problem? But then you'd have to be at the airport more than 2 hours before the flight in order to use the machine before checkin closed.

I've no idea if it just affects Dublin departures or all departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Overselling flights?? I've never seen this happen in all the years that I've flown Ryanair. I don't think they oversell at all. Neither do Aer Lingus. This is more a US carrier thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Trust me, they oversell. Worked with them for years, if I remember right the most we ever had booked for a flight was 198.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭flatty

The Ryanair app is absolutely fantastic. This will ruin it.. I fly short haul with them a lot. My suspicion is that because it is so cheap if you book early,they are getting a fair few people booking two or three flights and taking whichever is the handiest. This will hit their revenue, so they are trying to work around it whilst staying within the law would be my initial thought. It makes no sense at all otherwise. I fly Ryanair a lot simply because the app is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Flying out tomorrow at 07.00h

They tried it with me. Couldn't check in via the App or website since Monday when I booked the ticket.

This morning at 8.00 I got an email asking me to check in and I went through the whole process without picking a seat and without paying extra for a seat.

Downloaded the boarding card as per usual.

I think it's just an attempt by them to get you to pay a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

That's not what they are doing.

You checked in, in plenty of time.

It's does leaving it until the last minute (eg 2-3 hours before departure) to check in, that are caught by this policy.

If you check in the day before, I don't think you'll have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They had 200 checked in for 197 seats, they announced gate closing before the plane we were to fly out on had even landed.

I couldn't check in all week. I was constantly getting a message telling me to go to the airport and check in there.

Only got the email this morning 22 hrs before the flight, telling me to check in online as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Wasn't that just the old normal method, that you can only check in 24 hours before the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Just their normal policy.

From their website: "If you have pre-reserved a seat, you can check in online up to 60 days before scheduled departure. However, your outbound and return flights must be within those 60 days of departure. If you have not reserved a seat and this is being assigned to you randomly, check-in opens 24 hours before your flight and closes 2 hours before."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I am flying over/back to UK on Saturday , early morning flight out and i don't want to be buried in a queue at the Ryanair desk.

Basically if i check in online as early as possible i will get my digital boarding card as normal ? Leave it to last minute and i potentially have to queue up for a printed boarding ticket.

I have not paid for a seat either.

I was one of those who did wait until late to check in, will stop that from now on so.

Am i correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The very avoidance of comment on the specific issue (i.e. paper pass at desk) makes me think it is a new altered policy.

Since the kids came along we have to book seats anyway so this does not directly impose upon me for the most part, still it's enough to move Ryanair down the list of options. The whole point of the app was to avoid paper and queues!

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

Anyway, I got the email this morning for the flight tomorrow morning and checked in as normal. Have the boarding pass on the App, and the seat that they allocated me, and I paid nothing for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It sounds more like Ryanair are enforcing their check in policy rather than changing policy. Anyone who hasn't booked a seat doesn't have the same grace period for checking in and getting a boarding pass.

As for whoever thought the EU will intervene in Ryanair's seating policy.. LMAO

Id actually love it if Ryanair's boarding policy changed to mirror Southwest. No more gobshites queuing before the plane even lands.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

They used to deny it, but don't deny it anymore. I had it recently on a flight I checked in (quite late) for. Your boarding pass just says 'assigned at gate' and your sequence number is 187. In my case it updated with a seat number after check in closed, presumably as someone that had paid for a seat was then a no-show.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

What did your phone/boarding card say when you checked in? Did you get a screenshot of it? Interested to know how they tell you you need to go to a desk, given that check-in usually generates a qr code and they email you repeatedly about checking in online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Had the same happen to me in September. Had to go to the desk to get the seat assigned.

Also what is the reason for Ryanair insisting on non-eu people getting a special stamp on their ticket which no other airline requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Just checked in for a flight tomorrow. No issues at all with having to book seats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement