Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In normal circumstances Stazdas is probably against rape, but is clouded here by who it was done to and by whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Expect the usual weak "I've condemned Hamas" responsr before whatabouting some Israel atrocity from a heavily biased twitter account.

It really is that simple.

Doesn't matter that Bibi said that. Talking about Canaanites and the Ottomans or 47 etc.

Mass and exceptionally brutal rape is wrong. Hard to imagine that it is necessary to point that out to several posters here and I'm certain that they still won't give one shi7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭brickster69

Details of Netanhayu's meeting with released hostages released by Israel's largest paid newspaper

Source

Thread in English

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

Yes, it increased massively after the First World War. The point is that there were only 300,000 or so people in the area in 1860 and that would probably have remained the case without the influx of Jews and Zionist money. I'm not making a value judgement, I'm just pointing out that it's yet another layer of complexity in a very complex and divided region.

Given the history of wars between Arab and Persian, Sunni and Shia, countries in the area I don't see the existence or otherwise of Israel as a root cause for the fact that there are a lot of conflicts in the region. I believe that's down to the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and the repression of what should have been the political evolution of the area by European Powers for their broader political and economic interests. Of course the previous repression of that evolution by the Ottomans can't be ignored either.

• Advertisement

The massacre in Sabra and Shatila was conducted by Christians. The Israelis actually took responsibility after Sean McBride, the then Assistant to the UN General Secretary, concluded that they as the occupying power were responsible. Of course nobody was actually punished beyond Ariel Sharon having to resign as defence minister.

It's actually a good example of how the cycle of violence in the region is perpetuated. The attacks were in revenge for an earlier Palestinian massacre and the Lebanese Christian leader of the attacks had recently had his family and fiancé murdered by Palestinian militants.

Even if that's correct how does that negate my point?

It is often the case that people are killed by friendly fire. I've read that during the first Gulf War more UK soldiers were killed by American friendly fire than by the Iraqis. If you think that the IDF were shooting their own people in order to get at Hamas you're delusional.

Are you saying that you don't believe that these crimes were actually committed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hes been peddling that line since the begining blaming Israel for the Oct 7th attack

• Advertisement

Can we all remember that despite the intensive attacks by the IDF and the very high civilian casualties in Gaza Hamas is still refusing to release the hostages they took. If they did so the Israelis would have little justification for continuing their attacks.

Can we also remember that Hamas are the government of Gaza and enjoy broad support from the population there.

I heard a Palestinian doctor on the radio this morning saying that the accusations of rape and abuse by Hamas during their attack was "black propaganda" from Israel. Even the cravenly pro-Palestinian leftie presenter on Moaning Ireland couldn't believe what she was hearing. I really don't see why we take the word of doctors, any doctors, above that of a plumber of baker. The job you choose to do doesn't make you more or less likely to tell the truth.

I think he knows they happened, disputes the scale and looks at it from the context of symbolic resistance against the women of Israel and a defiance its state power.

Context is everything it seems

There posts are truly fu78ing diabolical.

They probably in other circumstances would believe rape is wrong but so much of their core beliefs must be ditched in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Context me hole. Israel is sating its bloodlust. That is the only context. Plenty on here seem to think its ok to do it against Palestinian toddlers.

Your userrname is apt in the context

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I post enough on here for you to respond to what I say rather than what you want to pretend I say so if all of you guys could stop with the strawman nonsense it would be best.

And what about Israel is abso-fcuking-lutely the case when it is a two party conflict and genocide apologists want to paint one side as evil and the other as some sort of idle neighbour.

I have denied nothing, but I am not buying simple Israeli propaganda. It is a fact that the original comments in public and on here in the days immediately after oct 7th were about up to 40 babies and the manner in which they died. CNN issued a retraction for reporting on decapitated babies and said it had been misled by the Israel PM office. The death toll of 1400 was downgraded to 1200, again, that is a fact. Then it is a fact that not all of the 1200 were civilians. Then evidence that many may have died due to Israel's brute force response. So its a flat out lie to claim that nothing has been downgraded.

We've seen PM officials produce evidence of 'bomb making' instructions that Hamas had with them on Oct 7th which was a slide from a presentation available on line. We've had officials suggest a copy of mein kampf was found in a bombed childs bedroom (undamaged amid the destruction of course). We've seen them produce CGI videos of supposed multi-level facilities that they couldn't find in reality. We've seen them We've seen them ban hostages from talking to the media. What is all of this if not propaganda?

As I said in my post last night, one side is being obliterated in to history within this conflict. I have nothing but disgust for those who ignore that fact and instead build strawmen to justify their apathy to the suffering of millions.

More reports on Israel awareness of what was going to happen on Oct 7th. Link

Top defense officials held urgent consultations the night before October 7 about a possible Hamas attack. But no one in the IDF notified the the Nova festival organizers or the party-goers, hundreds of whom were mown down – and for nine hours, no one came to save them

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I disagree - the below table illustrated that. Avg world population increased approx 100% between 1800 and 1920, from roughly 990m to 2bln in 1930. the muslim population more than doubled in that time. and increased 30% again between that and 1931.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No, I'm not saying that at all - but it would appear that the regime is using the rapes to justify the current war crimes in Gaza or alternatively to distract from them (the timing of all of these media reports of rapes on October 7th that have suddenly appeared since Sunday is curious - just at the moment when the regime is taking massive criticism in the western media for its current actions).

Evidence here for people who both think that this conflict started on Oct 7th, and those who think sex crimes are solely inflicted on Israelis.

Just a couple of old IDF Soldiers talking, and laughing, about their own experiences and what they observed including using flame throwers on people, killing captured prisoners with a machine gun, killing people who surrendered and the rape of a child.

From a US intelligence document in 2008.

For those who claim there was no occupation, here's the Israeli government controlling the Gaza economy to keep at subsistence level only.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

'Donald Trump' is offended by my username, grow up lad.

Context matters. It doesn't make what's happening good, it doesn't mean people shouldn't try to save the people being killed, but the equivalence you made was completely and utterly false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,676 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think we have now seen it all, a new low has been reached. Effectively, this post is about rape denial and justifying it.

There is no doubt that the Hamas terrorists who took part in the October 7th massacre are savage beasts who hate women. That doesn't mean the description applies to all Palestinians, but in your embrace of Hamas propaganda you equate the two.

Sickening to read your propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

1. Must be true - it's on twitter
    2. Tantura massacre - yet another (like deir yassem) that might not hold up to historical scrutiny.
    3. Horrible if it happened as described, war sucks.

And, if you want to split hairs, this thread's about the Hamas strike on Israel, that's the conflict that started on Oct 7th.

The conflict between Israel and the Arab world started a long time before that, arguably when Zionism as a political force was impacting the area by encouraging settlement starting in the 19th century.

And, if you want to split hairs, this thread's about the Hamas strike on Israel, that's the conflict that started on Oct 7th.

Says. it. all.

He definitely cant be buying any Israel propaganda with the mountains of Hamas propaganda hes after splurging.

And the Jewish population increased more than 10 fold during the same period. The amount of arable land in the region increased due to Jewish investment and half of that growth in Arab population was due to emigration into Palestine. I don't think that's disputed.

Anyway, it's a side issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StarryPlough01

Those are fair guidelines by Moderator TheValeyard.  No NSFW footage - it could cause strife at work.

Elsewhere I just felt physically sick whie reading ‘duping delight’ posts about footage of deceased Palestinian children.  Dismissing a video clip of a very young child (dec) as fake “Pallywood”.  😥 The hospitals don’t have medication, they don’t have water…. Ambulances are being targeted taking the critically injured from a bombardment to a hospital.

The Guardian

by Manisha Ganguly, Elena Morresi, Ashley Kirk, Bryony Moore and Harvey Symons

Fri 1 Dec 2023 06.00 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/01/hospital-damage-in-gaza-during-israeli-offensive-a-visual-investigation

“An investigation has revealed the damage caused to hospitals, health facilities and ambulances in the northern Gaza Strip over 21 days in the course of the Israeli offensive against Hamas in Gaza.

The Guardian collected and analysed more than 200 pieces of evidence including videos, photos, news footage and satellite imagery from between approximately 21 October and 11 November, and spoke to international humanitarian organisations, to investigate the damage caused to 10 of Gaza’s hospitals and health facilities. Of the 10, only two are functioning.

[...]

Al-Shifa hospital (Open above link to read)

3 November

A convoy of ambulances was targeted by Israel outside the hospital, with one ambulance hit directly. Videos and photos of the aftermath show more than 10 injured people on the roadside.

“The IDF said the ambulance was being used by Hamas to transport its militants. A video of the inside of the ambulance shows a woman in a hospital gown lying wounded, with no weapons visible. Israel military officials have said Hamas would move its fighters unarmed in such instances.

Starry: I wanted to put up below link to: Mondoweiss.net (an independent website) who have published an article on CNN’s unverified report (see below). It was also carried by other syndicated media outlets including The Washington Post ..

‘CNN report claiming sexual violence on October 7 relied on non-credible witnesses, some with undisclosed ties to Israeli govt’

‘CNN’s Jake Tapper failed to adhere to professional and ethical journalism standards in a story claiming to offer proof of sexual violence by Palestinian fighters on October 7.’

December 1, 2023

https://mondoweiss.net/2023/12/cnn-report-claiming-sexual-violence-on-october-7-relied-on-non-credible-witnesses-some-with-undisclosed-ties-to-israeli-govt/

Starry: Nobody is denying heinous rape might have occurred in a war zone (Hamas' horrific attack on kibbutz October 7 - ‘Operation Al Aqsa Flood’).  However, the Israeli police admit there is a lack of forensic evidence.    The women weren’t questioned by trauma informed health agencies / professionals.  Making assertions of serious crimes without providing verifiable evidence is generally considered to be irresponsible.   Persons with integrity ensure that the information they share is accurate and make available supporting docs, etc. for public scrutiny… 

Israeli’s indiscriminate slaughter (a high number being women and children) is disproportionate….    It’s been called ‘a textbook case of genocide’ by leading Jewish and Israeli scholars of the Holocaust and genocide studies. 

Press Release

Genocide Scholars and 100 Palestinian and International Civil Society Organisations Call on Prosecutor Khan to Issue Arrest Warrants, Investigate Israeli Crimes and Intervene to Deter Incitement to Commit Genocide in Gaza’

20 October 2023

https://www.mezan.org/public/en/post/46295/Genocide-Scholars-and-100-Palestinian-and-International-Civil-Society-Organisations-Call-on-Prosecutor-Khan-to-Issue-Arrest-Warrants,-Investigate-Israeli-Crimes-and-Intervene-to-Deter-Incitement-to-Commit-Genocide-in-Gaza

Is what’s happening now a genocide?

https://time.com/6334409/is-whats-happening-gaza-genocide-experts/

Raz Segal, the program director of genocide studies at Stockton University, concretely says it is a “textbook case of genocide.”  […]

[…]

City University of New York professor Victoria Sanford compares what’s happening in Gaza to the killing or disappearance of more than 200,000 Mayans in Guatemala from 1960-1996, known as the Guatemalan genocide, which is the subject of her book Buried Secrets: Truth and Human Rights in Guatemala.   Mayans and Palestinians have both been subject to genocidal acts, she implies. “When we match them to the lived experience of people, there are similar circumstances…if we look at contemporary conflicts like the Israeli invasion of Palestine.”   […]

“A Textbook Case of Genocide”: Israeli Holocaust Scholar Raz Segal Decries Israel’s Assault on Gaza

October 16, 2023’

https://www.democracynow.org/2023/10/16/raz_segal_textbook_case_of_genocide 

BreakThrough News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_3BFPINnc&t=54s

^ ‘Israeli military official defends shooting live rounds at Palestinian children for throwing rocks’

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I find attempts to downplay any massacre distasteful in the extreme no matter which side is doing it. We have seen that on display by both sides. The Der Yassin and Shantilla massacres were disgusting just as the massacres on October 7th were. Some of the survivors from the October 7th massacre have already killed themselves and some understandably had a mental breakdown. There should be no equivocation on any of these atrocities, and using the excuse it's war is hypocritical and just not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone beyond this point denying that Hamas deliberately inflicted horrific sexual assault is engaged in atrocity denial, to the benefit of the cause of Hamas rapists. This is worse than victim blaming.

The BBC has seen and heard evidence of rape, sexual violence and mutilation of women during the 7 October Hamas attacks.

Video testimony of an eyewitness at the Nova music festival, shown to journalists by Israeli police, detailed the gang rape, mutilation and execution of one victim.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67629181

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I’m going to have to stop looking at / reading anything about this “war”. It’s just too upsetting and I can’t see any outcome where they can both live peacefully. Even before 7th October, if there was a healthy Palestine where the country was freely able to trade with the world, people were educated and living beyond basic existence, they’d have far more capability to attack Israel. They’d be better able to afford weapons, defend themselves. It’s simply not a scenario Israel can allow. Since Israels reaction to 7th October that hatred has probably increased immeasurably. They’ve killed people’s children, parents, grandparents, siblings, they’ve destroyed their homes, traumatised them for life. They’ve created countless people who will be willing to give their lives for revenge. Ignoring Palestine for a second, just from Israels point of view this will be the legacy of this conflict. For decades to come, there will be people who will choose to die if it means they can take an Israeli with them.

The events on October 7th are still probably the most sickening. The fact that those killings / rapes were done by hand as opposed to pressing a button to drop a bomb does make them seem worse. I can’t imagine hating a country so much that I’d be able to do anything like that to another human being, let alone a child. But I don’t understand how the Israelis are still pushing those buttons to drop those bombs, every day since. Surely it haunts them that they’re doing this to children and families. I don’t understand how they can look at those people and not think of their own children and families. I can’t stop thinking about it. 

Advertisement