Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What about all the factories in Raheen. Should we not build staff accommodation on the car parks while we are at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I suppose the difference there is that the workers in the Raheen factories don't need rental accommodation that promotes a learning environment. They generally go home after a days graft, as opposed to students who would benefit from being near the college library.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You have been against this development and a number of others from the start. At first it was height and traffic now the students themselves.

You don't give a flying fuk about the students and their learning environment.

If people like you got their way the vibrant Limerick described in the Guardian article wouldn't exist.

You have been pro this development and a number of others. You don't care about the environment or the feelings of the people living in the vicinity of these developments.

You don't give a flying fuk about students and their accommodation needs.

The real irony is that people like me get our way more often than not and the vibrant Limerick described in the Guardian article actually does exist today.

But nice try

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You'd swear that Mary I was miles away from this development rather than less than a kilometer away with the rubbish that's being spouted. Easily within walking or cycling distance.

And the enviromental argument is BS. It's worse for the envrioment to have the old tanks rotting in the ground rather than having them removed as part of the development.

But Old Redser has spoken and there can be no other opinions.

• Advertisement

20 years a city centre space has been empty and in the middle of a housing crisis.

We also have a traffic crisis that we are going to apparently solve with more suburbs.

Not sure where your 20 years is coming from... We've had a housing crisis since the foundation of the state

Everybody and their dog knows that when you try to build multi-storey apartments in an area where 2-storey houses already exist you're going to get local opposition. Developments on a like-for-like basis with what already exists won't see that same opposition, will be built faster, cheaper and would be more aesthetically pleasing

Why would they need to be near the library?

The idea of a library is you bring the book home with you.

A ~1km walk home after college would benefit the students mental and physical health.

Your argument is ridiculous but keep going if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

You see it all over Dublin and the world really and it works well with the mix & match of high and low rise ,I really think the site being on a main should mean nothing low volume should be built 2 story house there would be a crime and waste ,its perfect in every aspect for students or others as its stones throw from the college ,the creasent for shopping ,right on bus corridors and stops etc

• Advertisement

although not fully derelict before that it was nearly as good as , absolute eyesore of a sight up there for near on 30 years if you ask me.

It has never been rejected on height grounds. The first time was because they hadn't submitted the EIS. The second time it got permission, but was sent back to ABP by the High Court on a technicality. ABP again granted permission (and LCCC rubber stamped it) but was sent to the High Court again. ABP then conceded the case and that's where we are now.

The height is not an issue to the planning authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Limerick in fairness to them are one of the more progressive councils when it comes to building height

Libraries are more than just for taking books out of. If that sounds ridiculous to you then pop in to your local one and have a look around.

A ~1km walk home in the dark after an evening of studying or group coursework might also result in them being attacked, which isn't great for physical or mental health. Having accommodation on campus negates this

This isn't Dublin though, and in the interest of relevance, when you say "the rest of the world" do you have any examples in the county of Limerick

As I was saying, the height of buildings is why locals object to the building, not the high court

In this case the high court found errors were made by ABP, which as you correctly say they then conceded the case on that basis. I'm not sure what those errors were but ABP clearly agreed that they were wrong to grant the permission in the first place.

Plenty of ghost estates were created in the past because of our lax planning laws and I, for one, am glad to see we are much more stringent with them these days

WTF has this got to do with ghost estates? Ghost estates exist because contractors went bust during the worst world economic down turn since 1929 leaving half finished estates. Their existence has fuk all to do with the planning system.

"A ~1km walk home in the dark after an evening of studying or group coursework might also result in them being attacked"

Oh this is easily the biggest heap of sht I have ever heard on this thread.🤣

(And don't bother with the fake outrage of me laughing at people being attacked)

Oh this is easily the biggest heap of sht I have ever heard on this thread.🤣

Do you not read your own posts?

If you can't see the link between the 2 then you have serious problems haha!

So should factory workers not live on site as well to negate the risk of an attack.

You do realise how silly your posts are people are just laughing at you.

This isn't Dublin though, and in the interest of relevance, when you say "the rest of the world" do you have any examples in the county of Limerick

I knew was going to get a this is not Dublin as a response o\ only gave it as an example ..

A ~1km walk home in the dark after an evening of studying or group coursework might also result in them being attacked, which isn't great for physical or mental health. Having accommodation on campus negates this

Jesus 😂 they could be attached on campus as well🙄 May as well just keep them locked in their bedrooms altogether

• Advertisement

Plenty of ghost estates were created in the past because of our lax planning laws and I, for one, am glad to see we are much more stringent with them these days

ghost estates 🤔 not sure what that has to do with student accommodation , don't remember any student accommodation ghost estates..

You might hear laughing, but it's actually aimed at you. Comparing factory workers and their needs to students and theirs doesn't make you look very smart

So you have no example of how it works well in Limerick. That;s the thing about demographics, what works well in one part of the world, doesn't necessarily work well in another

They could be attacked on campus, that's right. It's well known that college campuses are safer places than city streets but let's ignore that fact, yes

I don't see the link because there isn't one. Without the financial crash there would be no ghost estates. You're talking out your hoop. Again.

And I agree with waterwelly, only one poster on here is being laughed at and it isn't him.

So you have no example of how it works well in Limerick. That;s the thing about demographics, what works well in one part of the world, doesn't necessarily work well in another

Why does having a local example matter ?We have to start at it somewhere and any example i could try and give will be met with "that is not the same" I already outlined why I thought it was a perfect location for a high density build ,student accom or not ...

UHL is on the same road with similar background and must be 5-6 story's and sits in well enough. next to 2 story buildings. red tech must be 4 story's at least on the same road accross from 2 storey building

They could be attacked on campus, that's right. It's well known that college campuses are safer places than city streets but let's ignore that fact, yes

can you link to that and show me where it says that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

hugely significant surely. major boost for UL and Limerick City imo.

LIMERICK City and County Council has earmarked a bank of land near one of the city’s major traffic bottlenecks as the location for a new park-and-ride facility. Almost 40 acres of land adjacent to the Mackey Roundabout on the outskirts of the city - close to the  M7 motorway -  has been purchased by the local authority. The council says it has plans to create a park-and-ride facility in conjunction with the National Transport Authority at the lands which are located Mountshannon, Lisnagry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The site was fully operational in 2003. You had Esso, John Moloney Honda and Four Star Pizza operating out of there. I think there was a video rental place too. Academy?

Don't worry, everybody laughs at you, almost constantly with the absolute crap you come out with

You think UL and red tech blend in nicely with their surroundings? Ok then

I'm not exactly sure where to find a link to prove that more visible security, brighter paths and safer crossing points result in college campuses being safer than city streets, but if you think about it you might see it without the need to rely on google... Now proof that a city street might be dangerous might be hard to come by alright, it's not like 2 women were robbed during the day last wednesday is it?

Oh wait https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/1362737/gardai-investigating-incidents-of-robbery-on-limerick-streets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Let me preface this comment with a reminder that I am a local to the SCR area and I am against the scale of this development but not the nature of the development or use.

Now that's out of the way there is some amount of rubbish being spouted on here at the moment about this project.

1. The proposed main entrance to the building is 465m away from the main gate of Mary I on the SCR, there are student accomodation buildings on the UL campus which are 4 or 5 times the distance from the education blocks. The distance from the college is not an issue and the idea that it would be a poor location for student acommodation ia laughable.

2. We're discussing an established, safe, well lit, high traffic area, student safety is not a concern at present and won't be a concern if this is ever built.

3. This is a good site for a medium density accomodation block, and a fantastic site for a student block. It has good transport links, and is well serviced by amenities. The empty brownfield sites at the bottom of Courtbrack Avenue would be an even better location as other large accomodation buildings are already located there, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make here.

My personal opinion is that 7 stories on the Punches Cross corner as depicted by the rendering is too high, given the next nearest large building is 2 storeys, but we've already been around the block many times on that argument and we've all stuck to our opinions and not budged so no point in discussing that again.

At this point, it's being going on so long that I'd just rather see the bloody thing built as is, rather than continue to look at the hoarding and the junkies climbing the gate to sleep on the site each night.

Yeah I remember the video rental place and it being fairly shabby later on ,might have been an slight exaggeration on the "30years " but it did continually go down hill from the mid 90's , couldn't remember when JM honda left there

• Advertisement

Oh wait.

We can all find single examples.

"A group of students was allegedly subjected to a daylight assault by a group of assailants at University of Galway"

And FFS @Cookiemunster is the only person on here who is ever able to post the actual facts and not just opinions as he has done once again in this case.

Advertisement