Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

If that is true - not gonna lie, I am curious as to whats changed and why now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Maybe it is just to freak out Hamas.

I suppose they had to have an idea of tunnels and layout before you start filling them, have to have control of territory so people aren't just shooting your pipe full of holes.

Interesting to see how it play out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The actions of Israel are destroying western values. Israel is committing a genocide. You cannot throw out morals entirely in favour of interests and then think that you will not destroy the worldview you claim to be attempting to promote.7

You can't support a monster and also claim to be moral.

The Iraq war massively undermined trust in the ideals of the west as we knew it and massively undermined trust in liberal democracy. It was a key event in the rise of the far right and conspiracy thinking in the west.

This genocide by Israel will dramatically increase that trend and we will all suffer because of it.

This is really fcuking obvious stuff and anybody who doesn't acknowledge it is either stupid or an immoral propagandist.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

What a ridiculous question. You're ranting now.

My argument is against the false equivalency you made. In your earlier post you equated a toddler in Gaza being killed by Israel in their response to what has been called their own 9/11, to a toddler in Mullingar being killed by Israel for no reason. You're equating people being killed in a war to something akin to what happened to Aishling Murphy, in your scenario perpetrated by the IDF. These are not the same things. It's a silly comparison to make, and your hypothetical makes no sense. Context matters whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Now now now. You can avoid the question if you like. That is your prerogative. But in trying to dismiss it, you are only drawing attention to that avoidance.

BTW, Israel are not killing Palestinian toddlers for no reason. They do have a reason. Their reason being that they want to kill Palestinian toddlers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What about the hostages in those tunnels though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good points here. Western governments and their right wing media supporting Israeli war crimes is very dangerous stuff and risks destabilising the international order. One of the reasons Ursula von der Leyen took massive criticism was for trying to give the impression that the EU support Israeli atrocities (something that risked harming the EU's reputation in a serious way).

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

We are neutral in the face of evil and we think that's a morally virtuous position to take so morality is a movable feast.

Genocide; he deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group. Israel is behaving appallingly but they are a long way from genocide, despite the hyperbole to the contrary. Incidentally the nonsense from the Israeli Prime Minister about fighting for Western Values is also complete hyperbole.

The Internet and Social Media have undermined trust in the ideals of the West way more than the Iraq War. It's nonsense to suggest that it is a key event in the rise of the Far Right. The same vacuous idiots are just as likely to be drawn to the Far Left which is equally dangerous.

Post edited by Ulixes on

Well we are in a twilight zone where a chant that "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" is genocidal, but literally murdering tens of thousands of people, and flattening the homes and livelihoods of millions of people, exposing them to further poverty and risks of disease and starvation, is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rape is appalling no matter who does it. It's appalling when Hamas does it to innocent Israelis, and it's also appalling when IDF and Israeli security forces, and zionist and settler militia who operate with impunity and often rape and sexually degrade Palestinian women, of which there have been many credible allegations going back years

This story was from the month prior to October 7th

The policy of degrading and sexually abusing palestinian women is not new, having been a deliberate policy going back to the Nakba in 1947

I'm sure you'll agree, rape by Israeli forces and militia is just as horrific and wrong as rapes committed by Islamic militia operating in Hamas.

But apart from Rape, the IDF have been guilty of ongoing violations of international law going back decades. They cannot complain about Hamas war crimes while they refuse to even acknowledge the jurisdiction of the Hague on the sole basis that breaching those conventions is such a routine part of their SOPs that they know their own officials would be arrested and convicted if they ratified those treaties.

There were plenty of war crimes committed by Israel prior to the 7th of October. Collective punishment is a war crime. Israel engages in this routinely against the Palestinian people.

The IDF has been found on many many occasions to be using Palestinian children as Human shields (eg) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/mar/23/gaza-human-shields-claim

The use of White Phosphorus as an incendiary weapon in areas populated by civilians is a clear war crime that the IDF are denying based on a technicality (that they were using the weapon as a smoke shield and that the appalling burns and excruciating deaths it causes were an unintended consequence) They even used WP to directly attack Schools and UN buildings that were clearly marked and identified as neutral and non combatant areas https://web.archive.org/web/20110511023004/http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article5575070.ece

Every time Israel decides to bomb Gaza or the West bank, inevitably they kill civilians vs combatants at a ratio of 10:1, and they routinely bomb ambulances, civilian buildings and the media. Not just in this 'war' but in all of the multitude of bombing campaigns Israel has waged against the Palestinians over the past number of decades.

Plus, the hundreds of Palestinians who are interned without any trial for lengthy periods of time, the blockades that restrict access to medicines, and medical treatments, the forced expulsion of Palestinians from land which is then annexed by Israeli settlers...

The list goes on and on and on and on and on.

Other than Fox and some of the Sky News Channels the media is overwhelmingly left wing. In this country RTE are like the broadcasting wing of the Trade Unions and the Irish Times is not far behind them. If the media is right wing then who is doing the massive criticism of Von Der Leyen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

When I said 'right wing media', I was referring to that in the UK and the US. As I said, I believe this is dangerous : support for war crimes makes Western governments look weak and immoral and lacking in credibility. It was actually reassuring to see many EU states at least push back against von der Leyen's words and gestures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So paying pensions is the same as bombing? Okayyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I don't usually answer stupid and disingenuous questions with zero thought put into them, but I'll give it a go if you insist.

"How many Irish children would you allow an Israeli to murder over the coming month in order to satisfy their bloodlust. "In the context of October 7th" if it makes you happy?"

Ok, in your hypothetical scenario that makes no sense, I wouldn't want an Israeli to kill any Irish children. But you used the word "allow", meaning that it would be in my control to stop them. If it were in my control to stop them I would do everything I could to stop them. In a situation with 1 Israeli trying to kill a child in Ireland it could probably (but not guaranteed) be prevented without killing any innocents. But if you think that scales to the Israel Palestine conflict you're very naïve, there's too many other factors at play.

If that answer isn't what you were looking for it's only because your question was terrible. Recompile it and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Did you know that in 1948 the UN sent a negotiator over to negotiate between the jewish and arab groups and the jewish groups assassinated him?

The claim was the Israel was formed peacefully, I pointed out that there had been an insurrection for years and it was even going on whilst the UN was making its decisions. So yes, the country was formed from violence.

What's crazy is that people need to try and rwrite history to support "Their side".

What on earth makes you think that is what Rosahane was saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StarryPlough01

As you did politely ask: “Please”.  The Israelis are the star-bellied sneetchers.

It’s so simple a child can understand it.

It’s about racism: 

https://bowmanatbrooks.weebly.com/uploads/8/3/8/3/8383240/the-sneetches.pdf

Enjoy your lesson !!  I feel si much better after reading that really... really... appalling post from a landlord on another site dismissing deceased Palestinian children.  One 8 year-old Palestinian boy (Adam Al-Ghoul) was shot in the head for throwing stones. 

Okay.

I agree that support for criminal acts because you are sympathetic to the ideology of the the group that carried them out is a bad thing. When political leaders do it it undermines democratic values. It's something that happens on both the left and the right.

That's one of the many reasons I can't stand Michael D Higgins as his support for murdering oppressive left wing dictators is disgusting and not aligned to the values of the State he heads or the Constitution he is supposed to be upholding (a duty he's consistently treated with contempt).

Good old Dr. Seuss... I still don't get your point. What double standard am I guilty of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's "suddenly" become a story because of the extent of denial and downplaying of what happened. It's not that hard to understand. At this rate, Israel are going to have to make public all the footage they've been screening to journalists just to shut the denialists like you up. No doubt, you'd have have nothing to say about the war crimes, just how awful and manipulative Israel is for showing the world what was done to them.

Some of apologists on here are starting to sound like 9/11 truthers combined with holocaust deniers. They're pretty much using all the same arguments (they let it happen, the Israeli government supported hamas, not as many died as claimed, ok some bad things happened but not as bad as what is claimed, where's the evidence etc etc)

"From the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free" is a call for the destruction of Israel and the death of all Jews living therein. That's a bit genocidal in intent.

Killing 20,000 people is wrong and morally reprehensible but it isn't genocide. There's a half a million active service men and women in the IDF. They have around a thousand main battle tanks and the 9th most powerful Airforce in the world. If Israel wanted to kill everyone in Gaza they'd all be dead weeks ago. That's not a position on the moral values of Israel, it's just a statement of fact.

Similar to Patrick Pearse's famous call for genocide at the grave of O'Donovan Rossa - "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace".

In the current climate, we also have a lot of people holding the genocidal position that occupied parts of Ukraine should be free from Russian control. Why is nobody lobbying our government to have he people making such calls held accountable by the ICC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wait, they can't flood the tunnels if they don't exist 🙄 oh but now they do exist the narrative has shifted to "but what about the hostages down there". Israel can do no right with some people.

Btw the remaining hostages that Hamas are refusing to give up consist of the young women taken from the festival and captured soldiers and men. I dread to think what condition they are in. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way hamas will return them because I don't think the likes of even the most dedicated on here would be able to spin it as them being "treated well".

Pearse was a nutter who was obsessed with blood sacrifice and thought that the million dead young men in Europe was a glorious sacrifice to Nationalism. James Connolly described him as a blithering idiot.

He didn't call for genocide though and his Ireland wasn't subject to Sharia Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,366 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't remember Patrick Pearse sending out volunteers to rape at will, and to mutilate babies and children, do you?

So nope, more similar to Mein Kampf and Judenrein.

We saw on October 7th what fate would befall Jews left to the tender mercies of a free Palestine without the protection of the state of Israel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The man was chosen for that position as he had negotiated the release of tens of thousands from German concentration camps.

I posted on this thread earlier about the zionists similarly assassinating a Dublin born member of the Guinness family who had a position in the British government!

Grand. So we've narrowed it down now. A chant of "from the river to the sea" is only genocidal if it happens in a country that is under Sharia Law.

(Given that those countries don't tend to speak English, it would appear you scored an own goal there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is exactly the point I have been trying to make time and time again on this thread.

Rape and killing and torture is horrific. No matter who does it. And the taking of hostages as well. But we've seen very concrete examples on here that suggests that some people view the lives of Palestinians as being vastly inferior in value than the lives of Israelis. This last 24 Hrs and the condemnation of acts of rape on Oct 7th while ignoring the evidence that Israel is capable and guilty of similar is a case in point.

We saw similar previously with posters saying that the only thing that was necessary for the conflict to end was for the release of the hostages held by Hamas. They refused to even acknowledge the tenfold numbers of Palestinians held without charge by Israel (not to mention the numbers held under charge).

And as I pointed out last night, only one side is being obliterated here and seeing their livelihoods, homes, family and even their own lives just disappearing in a cloud of rubble from Israeli bombs. I don't understand how the people who are outraged and accusing others of downplaying rape don't see their own hypocrisy in how they are ok with the suffering of Palestinians.

At least once daily I include in a post that I; 'the attacks of Oct 7th were horrific, that I condemn those involved and that everyone involved should be persecuted,' and yet am accused of being a Hamas terrorist sympathizer. And those accusing me of this watching Israel target and kill Palestinians consistently at a rate of 10:1 or greater, and these people never call for restraint.

If you hear about 110 people being killed, and target your anger only on those who killed ten of them, ignoring the deaths of the other 100, you should have a serious examination of your conscience in my view.

(And all of this outside of the subjugation and persecution and loss of land that Palestinians have to suffer as well as being targeted and killed).

• Advertisement

Again with the little added on non sequiturs.

The claim is that the chant is genocidal. It is an English language chant and so would be being heard in countries which likely aren't sending out volunteers to rape at will.

The only murdering of babies happening at the minute are the thousands and thousands being killed in the Gaza strip. Or as many of ye on here like to delude yourself "the imaginary ones that Hamas makes up, and even if they didn't sure they don't count anyway"

Advertisement