Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone aware of a new Ryanair boarding card policy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Didn’t get a screen shot of it unfortunately. You literally go through all the steps of check in and then where the boarding pass should pop up it tells you to go to the desk to pick up your boarding pass. Or else pay for your seat now and get your pass on your phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

All airlines have a responsibility here. However Ryanair does things slightly different in that they check a person's visa before they travel, so that if they fail the visa check, they don't travel.

By doing this they avoid having to fly the person back at their airline's expense should they fail the visa check at immigration in the arrival airport.

• And ironically now I see on their website, and mentioned by Joe Duffy, you must either print your own boarding pass at home or in hotel etc or pay for a printed one at the airport if you do not use an online boarding pass. Certain countries/airports will only accept printed boarding passes, eg Turkey, Morocco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone have an idea of the times that this is kicking in?

I'm always a very late check in and get great seats usually, I wonder if it would be 12 hours before, 6 hours before, 4 hours before. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Was confirmed by ryanair yesterday that there was no change in policy. Trying to find the link..

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-airport-boarding-pass-pay-check-in-b2458001.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

I wouldn't be surprised if it kicks in after a certain amount of pax have checked in rather than any specific time before the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Shiteair is full of hidden costs it's a low budget airline but I guess if it wasn't for them airtravel wouldn't be as affordable, I always travel with aerlingus but have flown a few times on Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

To save me looking it up, any chance you could say what the Southwest boarding policy is, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

The way to beat this is to check-in EARLY

Get a digital boarding card on your Ryanair app for a randomly allocated seat .

Return to the app just before check-in closes and start to purchase a seat , all available seats are displayed , simply take a screenshot , abandon the seat purchase and then board as normal and refer to your seating map screenshot to select the best free seat 😎

Thanks very much!

Looks like the earlier you book the earlier you are to board, given that it's open seating. Maybe??

Can you try to purchase a seat after you have been randomly allocated one? Never realised that

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

• That’s the truth. I have MS & an ileostomy, means I have to carry a lot of medical items. This year I got two long haul holidays for a week, all wheelchair assisted. Basic price €1200 for Thailand, €1300 for Malaysia including all Etihad and connecting flights, 4/5 star hotel and private transfers, luggage etc.

Not a great comparison though, sure no-one is taking Ryanair flights long haul.

They do cheap, flights, to the UK and EU. Great service. Cheap and cheerful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Southwest's policy is fantastic, helped by the fact that the people using it seem to understand it, which could be an issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I love when people try to insult Ryanair by using aer lingus as an example, a truly terrible airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Any chance we could leave the Ryanair v the world v whoever is better or worse or crap blah out of this thread? It’s very tiresome.

Ryanair is our number 1 way for getting off this island. This policy change is important to very many of us.

• Advertisement

Aerlingus isn't that bad would ya stop OK last year when I went to Canada they lost my Lunga going and coming back to Dublin but that's because of baggage handler shortage not necessarily the airline ,Ryanair is good don't get me wrong as as stated before if it weren't for them airtravel would be more expensive etc but you do have to agree that there are hidden costs in Ryanair, I know a few years ago there was speculation they would charge for the toliots but that was quickly scrapped .....

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

To my knowledge, Ryanair is by some distance the lowest cost airline in the world. As in, the average all in fare paid by Ryanair passengers is substantially lower than any other airline.

Flying in Europe is much cheaper than the US primarily because of Ryanair.

Their customer service is absolutely dire in my experience, but I also will still use them because they are so cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Note the relevant quote states that they don't have a new policy of charging people to check in, and a digital boarding pass is always free. That's not answering the question though! No one has said they're charging for a pass, but that, for some passengers, if they want a free one they have to queue at check in. I've seen zero specific denial from Ryanair re that practice - indeed I've seen Ryanair online chat screenshots saying that they were indeed now doing this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Something new I noticed recently when checking in to take a randomly allocated seat, is that after the multiple warnings about having to sit next to God knows who, or be mashed in the middle, they give an option for 3 euro to avoid the middle seat on random allocation.

3 euro instead of the prices they were charging for seats beforehand seems like a good deal to me. I didn't take them up on it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I didn’t think of the “wait for a premium seat” thing at all. When I flew Ryanair to the UK a few weeks ago, I checked in a couple of minutes after 24h before the flight, and was allocated an exit row seat i.e. a premium seat for free. On the way back I checked in an hour later and was allocated a middle seat … but ended up with the whole row, since one person moved to be with someone else, and the other person didn’t show. Result.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Does the non allocation of a boarding pass only really apply if you check in late. ie - if you check in some days prior to flying you most likely will get a boarding pass with allocated seat all be it a middle seat? Is this change only really impacting late on line checkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There aren't hidden costs with Ryanair. There are very well mentioned costs you can pay for some upgrades such as priority boarding or seat selection.

Personally I like the Ryanair model. Idiots pay for unnecessary extras and it keeps my tickets cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yes that is what appears to be the case. If you check in when the general check in opens 24 hours before your flight, you’ll be fine.

• Advertisement

I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't mind the middle seat. If travelling with someone I will always take it since the underseat storage is much bigger than the aisle or window. If on my own I'll take the aisle though.

Advertisement