Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car full service price

• 06-12-2023 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Brought my car to a local Irish owned garage for full service lately, ended up costing me 340 euro. They replaced the filters, engine oil and 3 spark plugs. Is that a bit much for a full service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭User1998

Depends on the car. I assume its a small 3 cylinder engine? If so, it sounds a little bit expensive considering it wasn’t a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mac167

Yeah it is a small 1.2 litre 3 cylinder engine. They also mentioned about the doing the manual gearbox servicing, and I was quoted around 400 euro, which I think is way out of my budget at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

How much were you quoted for the full service?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I was quoted around 300 to 400, but I thought that would include servicing the gearbox as well

Okay, so you were quoted 3-400 euro for a full service and you were charged 340 euro for a full service.

You did well.

Next time you should maybe ask more than one garage/mechanic how much they will charge and exactly what it will include.

You can't lay the blame on a business for being too expensive if they do what was asked for what you were quoted, no garage or mechanic will include a servicing of a gearbox when doing a "full service."

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, definitely not laying blame on anyone here, just this is my first time bringing the car to a full service. In fairness the owner is very nice and walk me through what they have fixed with the car, but I will try to get a quote from other garages as well next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's all relative really, if someone else nearby is charging a lot less for the same service then it's expensive but if every other garage within 10 miles is charging more then it's a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's expensive full stop for an indy servicing a little 1.2 3 cylinder.

Small quantity of oil no doubt,

3 plugs

Filters should be relatively cheap too for a small car. Probably no fuel filter done.

As for the remainder of the service, we have no idea how good or bad the inspection was so no point commenting.

Thanks for the comments. Will definitely shop around for quotes with other garages next time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement