Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭brickster69

If intent to commit genocide is a form of actual genocide then it has already started. If those intentions are being implemented then it is happening now also.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The world is sick when you have people who respond to a statement like:

All efforts needs to be put into stopping the Israeli's from tearing limbs off children, crushing children to death with concrete slabs and beheading children with their bombs.

with the retort:

What a disgusting piece of rape denial and apology there. Bravo

It is mental that we cannot criticize the systematic murder and destruction of a captive population by another state without that being equated with being a rape denier. Zionist 101 playbook. But, on the positive side, at least they appear to have moved on from the default response of "anti semite" or "holocaust denier"

I am sure that extremists such as Hamas use it to mean they will kill all Israelis. But I would have to think that those are a minority - at least on a global scale.

I think the Palestinians should be free. I don't think that Israelis should have to die for that to be achieved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you are determined to find sickness you will find it easily. You could go back and read what they actually wrote. They said a lot more than that despite your cherry picking attempt at misrepresentation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Nope. The retort you have an issue with was in response to the following part of the post:

"I find the idea of Hamas fighting Israeli soldiers with guns etc - 400 soldiers killed - in a hostile environment over a short period and then sneaking off for a quick rape hard to understand. I guess details would help. How many women were raped and by how many men? Is it possible for example there were 10 or 20 rapists and the rest were non rapist soldiers?

Is it possible that it is a complete lie like the 40 beheaded babies?

It's really disturbing to me to read of the rape stories in such graphic detail you posted however, those things are claimed to have happened, allegedly took place on October 7th, in the past. Past events have already occurred and cannot unhappen."

That is blatant rape denial and apology. Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

That is such blatantly disingenuous misrepresentation of what someone said. The "What a disgusting piece of rape denial and apology there. Bravo" was in response to this:

"I find the idea of Hamas fighting Israeli soldiers with guns etc - 400 soldiers killed - in a hostile environment over a short period and then sneaking off for a quick rape hard to understand. I guess details would help. How many women were raped and by how many men? Is it possible for example there were 10 or 20 rapists and the rest were non rapist soldiers?"

You really have no business pulling **** like that.

Your priority appears to be deflecting towards atrocities that happened 8 weeks ago.

I am not minimizing those atrocities, however my priority would be in stopping the ones that will happen tonight, tomorrow, then next day, and the following day and so on. Those can be stopped. One less missile fired at a school. One less airstrike on a refugee camp market tomorrow and there will be dozens of people who will get to live.

Go back to your Oct 7th issues when the killing has stopped. But by continually bringing it up as the main item of contention currently, you merely come across as justifying, or deflecting from, ongoing bloodlust retaliation against innocent civilians. With the only conclusion being that you don't want that to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Mark Regev’s interview on RTE Drivetime on Monday was Nazi Germany level propaganda. From Sarah McInerney’s voice throughout the interview it was clear she was fully aware she was talking to a monster and was personally reviled by Regev, and who could blame her.

Regev: “We are doing Palestinians in Gaza a favour.”

---

Sarah McInerney: “You’ve locked them in an area where they can’t get out, you’ve denied them of food, water, shelter, you’ve bombed their hospitals, you’ve destroyed over 50% of their homes, you’ve killed their family members, you’ve killed their children. I don’t understand how you genuinely believe the people of Gaza would be grateful to Israel for what you’re doing.”

Regev: “100 per cent, I have no doubt.”

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22329167/ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Is that what you were doing? Looked to me like you were just in here ranting and misrepresenting people views in the most bad faith ways. By all means if you were "trying to stop the trapped men, women and kids being picked off with airstrikes and other heavy munitions." then get back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm not shouting anyone down? Just pointing out rape apologists and those who misrepresent that as something else. Plus, I don't think posts on a pretty obscure Irish message board have the power to stop or allow anything but carry on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They're losing the information war though (and losing it badly). They were heavily reliant in the past on western media towing the Zionist line and refusing to criticise Israeli military action. Social media has completely upended everything and people can see the horrific images coming out of Gaza every day. If the current conflict is also a PR battle, it has turned into a calamity for the regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

"The reason I said you appear to take your worldview entirely from right wing American sources is you spout the exact inane cliches preached by online right wing American sources."

You'll have to enlighten me on that one.

"If want to go down the stupid road you appear to want to go down, capitalism has killed a hell of a lot more than 100 million people. Capitalism killed a million people in this country alone in four years."

Nonsense. That was colonialism and it was almost 200 years ago. Capitalism isn't an ideology, it's an economic model. Communism is a social and political ideology. The two aren't comparable. The murders and famines caused by Communism in the last century are well documented.

"Nobody with a functioning brain cell considers the likes of Richard Boyd Barrett or Paul Murphy or Gino Kenny to present 1% of the threat of the far right pose both in this country or internationally."

Paul Murphy is a self declared Trotskyite and describes himself as far left. Richard Boyd Barrett wants to remove the right to private ownership of property. In order for their ideology to be imposed there would have to be massive restrictions on person freedoms and civil liberties. It would cause economic collapse and starvation, just as it has in every other country it's been tried in. So yes, that's dangerous, to say the least. Any system of government which seeks to impose an ideology that doesn't put the rights and freedoms of the individual at its core is dangerous. Both the far left and the far right aare equally dangerous.

"Nobody outside of a few loonies wants communism ever again."

I agree. thankfully. Just like the far right nutters.

"Whereas far right nationalism - fascism in other words - is a deeply seductive ideology for hundreds of millions worldwide, maybe into the billions."

The failure of the centre (where I am) is very disturbing and has allowed the far left and far right to grow. The failure of the employees of the State to carry out their duty to provide public services in a manner which is efficient and value for money is at the heart of that.

"The world's most influential information entity is in the hands of a fascist anti-Semite, who is an ally of Israel, of Russia, and of the American right wing."

Jasus, who's that?

"The logical endpoint of the far right's worldview is genocide."

The logical endpoint of any form of totalitarianism is genocide.

"That's what we're seeing right now in Gaza. Genocide is determined by intent, and Israel has displayed more than enough intent, shouted more than enough dehumanisation of Palestinians from the rooftops, and wreaked more than enough indiscriminate terror, to class this as genocide."

If all it required was intent then the IRA were guilty of it (Brit's out!) and Hamas are certainly guilty of it. Israel has the ability to commit genocide. Hamas does not. That matters. I don't see Israel doing anything of the sort. Ethnic cleansing, now that's a different matter...

I also don't think they need to die for it either. It is not a choice between dead Israelis vs. unfree Palestinians

On that we also agree. My issue with this discussion is the careless use of language, the hyperbole and the uninformed historical commentary which places so much of the root cause for this conflict on Zionism when the constructive engagement of neighbouring States over the last 30 years would have easily solved this problem.

I have no issue with criticising the governments of Israel or criticising Hamas, the government of Gaza. Both are deserving of contempt and both are serving the interests of their people very badly. Peace will require the removal of both governments from power as well as the engagement of those neighbouring States who have contributed so significantly to the current problem.

I find the degree to which people are perturbed by this conflict strange and don't understand why they seem to think it is an outlier. It isn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Has there been any other country so blatantly committing ethnic cleansing, who's been so unequivocally supported by the West since the Cold War ended?

"An Israeli activist who was severely beaten, allegedly by extremist settlers, while helping protect a rural Palestinian community in the northern Jordan Valley has said he feared he was going to be beaten to death during the incident..

..These attacks, which have been especially severe in the northern Jordan Valley and the South Hebron Hills region, have led more than 1,000 Palestinians from 15 rural communities to abandon their homes, according to the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs."

"Israeli authorities have approved the construction of more than 1,700 new homes, a non-governmental organisation said today, a move constituting the expansion of settlements in occupied east Jerusalem.

Half the "new neighbourhood" comprising 1,738 housing units will be in the city's annexed east, the Israeli NGO Peace Now said.

"If it weren't for the war (between Israel and Hamas), there would be a lot of noise. It's a highly problematic project for the continuity of a Palestinian state between the southern West Bank and east Jerusalem," Peace Now's Hagit Ofran said."

https://www.timesofisrael.com/activist-assaulted-protecting-palestinian-herders-says-he-feared-for-his-life/

https://www.rte.ie/news/middle-east/2023/1206/1420406-israel-gaza/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hamas/Gaza attacked Israel. Not Ireland. Gaza/Hamas are thus belligerents in the war. Ireland is not. That's the difference. Maybe those Gaza children should take up their plight with their plight with Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another new low.

An attempt to blacken doctors and cast doubt on the last profession to leave a hospital or their patients even under an intense and unlawful IDF attack.

Hooray for collective punishment!

Guilt by association.

"Has there been any other country so blatantly committing ethnic cleansing, who's been so unequivocally supported by the West since the Cold War ended?"

I'm not seeing unequivocal support for Israel from any Western country. If you want examples of ethnic cleansing that's been met with nothing more than hollow words but no real action then China's treatment of the Uyghurs is way bigger and more comprehensive than anything happening in Palestine and the Saudi attacks on the Houthis in Yemen have killed far more people and is at best ethnic cleansing. Are we still watching Golf and will we watch the World Cup in Saudi Arabia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You don't think that any Palestinian doctors would be sympathetic to Hamas?

you don't think that doctors of any other nationality working there are under tremendous pressure from Hamas?

What are you talking about? Do you think that doctors as a cohort are more honest than people who choose to do a different job? Were there no Porters or Cooks or Nurses or technicians in the hospitals?

Being a doctor is just a job, just like any other job, but generally better paid.

MSF would have said if they were. The UN would have said so too. Doctors are not afraid to call out threats and wrongdoing. If doctors are under pressure from anyone its the IDF.

Israel is literally committing genocide in Gaza now precisely because it is a far right state which believes it is made up of "the chosen people", driven by extreme ideology, with the military ability to do so, and the intent to do so, against an enemy it has consistently oppressed, dehumanised and slaughtered.

You can say Richard Boyd Barrett or Paul Murphy are as bad as that if you want, but don't expect to be taken seriously.

He wasn't an MSF doctor. He wasn't a UN doctor. Doctors are as likely or unlikely to be afraid or lie or fart or not pay their taxes or leave their trousers open or cheat on their partner etc as anyone else. Because they are just people, no better or worse than anyone else. It's utterly bizarre to think otherwise. That's the sort of forelock-tugging, cap-doffing subservience that we used to show to priests... and look where that got us.

How many of those other professions are working and risking their lives in Gaza, many voluntarily.? You made a clear attempt to blacked their name. Shame on you.

Is that really what you took from my post? Wow.

Israel isn't committing genocide. That's the sort of nonsensical hyperbole that I'm talking about.

Nowhere did I say that Richard Boyd Barrett or Paul Murphy were committing Genocide or wanted to commit it or were as bad as people who were committing it. I suggest you read my post again.

Slowly.

Then read it again.

Don't be silly now.

I spoke about one doctor and quoted him. T'was on the wireless. You can look it up.

I'm sure there are lots of people working in Gaza, risking their lives. That would include, but is not limited to, professional rubble clearers, professional truk drivers, professional shopkeepers, professional ambulance drivers, professional cooks, professional cleaners, professional tradesmen, professional nurses, professional IT technicians and professional whatever it is you call the guys who maintains diesel generators.

Oh, and that particular doctor was in the West Bank, not in Gaza. How'd you like them apples? ☺️

Richard Boyd Barrett and Paul Murphy are the definition of who we're talking about when we talk about the "far left".

Genocide is what we're talking about when we talk about the far right. Israel's genocide, driven by far right ideology. Russia's barbaric, genocidal war against Ukraine, driven by far right supremacist ideas. Hamas's slaughter of Israeli civilians for that matter, driven as it is by a far right ideology.

You equated the far left and the far right. But they are not remotely equivalent.

• Advertisement

"You can say Richard Boyd Barrett or Paul Murphy are as bad as that if you want, but don't expect to be taken seriously."

Boyd Barrett has openly called for an intifada (ie, violence) against Israel. That's serious enough in itself IMO.

Advertisement