Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you measure the money performance of your farm?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Amen, it maybe a time for pause and reflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Great advice ,I am facing into p/t farming for the 1st time on 40 acre grazing platform another 15 acres rented grazing ,4 mies away and 15ac. silage 1 mile away.Might just drop the outside ground if job works out .what sort of numbers are you managing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

I learned the same thing with my son for a few months last year, money means **** all, good thing wer farming 😂 hope it all works out for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Running about 65-70 calves and the same as Year 2's to finish. Could carry a few more but I'm not sure it would be worth the risk on grazing pressure. Land types will differ obviously but at your acres you'd be looking ballpark similar numbers from a labour point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d say I’m at about 4 hours a week at about minute. House is on the farm and all cattle in. Put in bales every 3rd day so it’s handy on the other two days.

obviously a lot more during calving time, spring and summer.

I’d guess an average of 10 hours per week over the year. I’ll never be a slave to the farm but I’d be very organised and have a decent set up. All land is in one block around the house so that’s a huge advantage too.

• Advertisement

• That’s a great point. A P&L / cash flow / tax return omits this.

I manage most of my expenses in excel and track my time but also try to consider the dimensions of work life balance which are hard to value. One decision this drove was I’m more willing to pay the contractor to do jobs like helping to bring the bales in, no point taking time off work (which is limited) and killing myself with pressure and missing family time when I can pay someone. When you do the maths you get an expense to write off against tax (so real cost of contractor is only 50% of what you pay) and with the freed up time you can spent it doing something you enjoy or more productive work on the farm. Reduces burnout.

Detailed time tracking over a long period also allows you stand back and see where you spent your time, data is more reliable and more value from it. Maybe that loader which might only save you 1hr a week is worth it etc if I consider that each of my hours work is worth €x, also saves 20 hours a year of wear and tear on my body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think we all here would like to make a few quid thus payback/feedback on how you ran your farm.

I measure in a number of ways. Groups of cattle/sheep that are bought versus their sales/expenses. The money in the farm account on 31st December. The books returned from accountants plus my own profit/loss calculation.

Advertisement