Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

It's a good incentive to looking into a move to NI tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭queueeye

One of the international protection applicants, I think the one from Gaza, said he'd come here from Greece. Is he not supposed to seek asylum in the first safe country he gets to?

Never pulled up on it by RTE. Huge amount of soft soaping of refugees by Prime Time this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

It’s throw money at the problem and hope something gives. I think we have lost control of our borders. A change of government won’t sort this out either. I think we are donald ducked.

why do they do that? absolutely scared shitless to hear any sort of opinion that doesn’t align with theirs… How has our media got so neutered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

For a change Miriam put that point to her unelected talking heads (I'm sure they have big titles in some quango or other) who unsurprisingly dodged the question.

• Advertisement

And they are allowed to dodge the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In answer to your question, no in fact. The 'first safe country thing' would mean a country like Greece (with a population of only 10m) having to take literally millions of refugees - the whole point of international refugee law is to try and disperse refugees. First safe country would mean the likes of USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand having to take no refugees at all, as they are thousands of miles away from most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So our Government advertising homes for all,free medical care,free education and the most lucrative benefits in Europe even if you take up employment means that this government has a bigger agenda than just helping fleeing migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

This may work out very well for the UK. They eventually tighten up their own borders, shedding loads of refugees off to the useful idiots next door (that's us btw). That will put pressure on the CTA because having so many unvetted people from every corner of the world feathering their nests here, the UK government will be dead right to be concerned from a security POV about the NI border. They'll be looking to tighten up that border with many closed crossings and the ones left open will be manned.

Blood boiling here listening to my local radio station interviewing (wouldn't even try to pronounce their name) some cultural development officer stating that Ireland has a duty to accommodate all coming into the country. A duty, what duty do we have. Look around our cities, there becoming a mess with begging and loitering, country is fuc#ked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Photobox

I hear you, sick to death of no balance anywhere with these discussions, its infuriating. I can't watch or listen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I personally love all the wonderful bright outfitted people hanging around North Earl Street and Moore Street getting paid to do nothing all day. It has really enriched the area. Lob in some random blokes with nothing to do but drink/stare at people, add a dollop of home grown scum (sorry far right) and you have a melting pot that is of world wide significance.

So anyway his and the host concluded that if we want to stem and stop the massive of migrants and refugees we yes we have to help with making their own countries fit to live in.ffs total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Honestly, regarding that radio show, people with utterly ridiculous thoughts and plans to fix this major issue are far more common than you think.

Reddit Ireland is a prime example, even though I feel many are far-left trolls. You do wonder how someone's brain can be so warped to think that it's our duty to fix their home country, to stop them from coming here to leech off our system and contribute nothing, in the general scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭slay55

Yes, exactly that

why when no accommodation available , entice them with more benefits, increasing their daily allowance etc?

government took advantage of the war for their own agenda ( pensions, doctors, engineers bullshit/nonsense , etc etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Irish politics is very heavily influenced by the USA, in particular the democrats. Last 3 democratic presidents visited here.

Have a look at democratic states in the US like california, New York etc & the similarities with Ireland is no coincidence.

All struggling with housing, crime, drugs, refugees sleeping rough etc

From the video’s iv seen of these places If ireland dont change tac soon, thing’s WILL get worse & worse.

Democratic voter’s are actually leaving blue states to move to the likes of texas because things are gone so bad.

Common sense needed urgently.

The true reality is that before common sense happens and there is a party willing to change this stupidly and also a a party with enough support, the country is going to be a total kip.

Cannot believe anyone in hospitality or tourism cannot see what a total disaster this is going to be very soon for tourism in this country.

All our major cities are more like foreign cultures than our own. Why would anyone want to visit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

My wife returned from the post office with the same sentiment. She was the only person actually HANDING money to the post office worker behind the counter. Everyone else TAKING.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Last 3 democratic presidents visited here. 

The last 3 Republican Presidents visited here too?

https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-presidental-visits-to-ireland/

The current US President is descended from Irish immigrants, and it should come as no surprise that New York in particular would have similar politics to Irish politics, and vice-versa - from the influence of Irish immigrants and those who returned from the US.

California probably not so much, their influences are more Latin American immigrants, and Texas? Well, you probably haven’t gotten round to watching videos from Texas yet about the issues with housing, crime, refugees sleeping rough etc that have been ongoing there for decades.

There’s plenty of reasons to move to Texas (although with my own personal biases I would say that 😁), but the idea that people are moving States because they’re trying to avoid problems in one State is just ridiculous tbh - every State in the US has it’s advantages and disadvantages depending on one’s outlook and what one wants out of life. North America is still a big bloody continent, unlike Ireland - an island nation that is but a speck in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭queueeye

I wonder if the Greek social welfare system was as generous as ours, would he be here? We’ll never know I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Social Democrats Leader Holly Cairns told the Dáil yesterday "There is no such thing as an illegal asylum seeker in Ireland." Presumably, she means that once granted legal status, they have a right to be here. I was surprised she didn't roll out the classic "Jesus was an asylum seeker" given the time of year. Would she or all of those who cheerlead this nonsense vouch for an unvetted man's innocence and safety level? Would they be willing to be held liable for any dangerous crime this person may commit? If not, then why force others to pay for the crime that person may very well engage in? There are plenty of examples of this going horribly wrong. How about her house? Would she welcome them into her home with her children there? Of course, she wouldn't. People like Holly who want to burden the state with their insane virtue need should be responsible for housing migrants themselves. Maybe then when they discover that their twenty-something-year-old speaks with a British accent or has been rejected and deported from other EU countries for convictions of serious crime, Why should communities around Ireland be made to deal with such uncertainty and danger? Not one Irish person should be put at risk because of these dangerous narcissistic headcases...

She also saids "no one has a veto on who lives in their community.".... I want a veto on who I’m forced to pay tax to support. If my money and my taxes are paying for their food, their accommodation, and their welfare, I should get a veto. Communities around Ireland protested and were called far-right racist etc Then three kids and a woman got stabbed, riots break out, and we were told that we're a democratic society and that it was unacceptable. People protested peacefully and they didn't listen They're just not listening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Yeah it’s not right what’s happening to tourism, to the tourists or the businesses depending on tourism.

Took a very long time to get to where they are or were.

When you start to peel the onion on whats going on, it’s scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I wonder could Aontu get a candidate in every constituency? They've been fairly quiet recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Then we had Lucky and another non Irish national on Prime Time lecturing us on our obligations to keep providing accommodation for a non stop inflow of migrants regardless of the fact that everywhere is full. Apparently we're not trying hard enough. Not one single word of thanks or appreciation for the thousands and thousands who have already been accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How is Lucky still here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good question.

VM1 and RTE seem to have taken a real shine to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Advertisement