Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

The day our grandparents paid deposits on bottles are long over and linely before the majority of people pay and use a waste collection service that includes recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The days are coming back in February and the rest is irrelevant.

There was a consultation period on this years ago. That was the time to complain

As in clean up beaches and parks from littering?

Littering is dispicable but this isn't the answer.

It is part of the answer and works very effectively in the large number of places that already do it

When was the consultation period and how were people notified of the consultation? I don't remember any campaign inviting the public for consultations. I usually pay attention to the news and what's going on but this one, went right by me.

• Advertisement

October 2020. It was advertised at the time

Seeing as you seem to have only heard of the scheme right now, weeks before it starts and after huge amounts of news and ads, I don't think you keep up to date very much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭creedp

Just give the bottle to some poor chap who you consider less fortunate than yourself and the warm fuzzy feeling generated in your innards will be priceless😂 Spoiler alert that fuzzy feeling may not last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

What's to stop me taking a photo of the new logo, then printing it out onto stickers that I apply to cans and bottles that I will buy up North?? Then claim 15c back on each?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭SVI40

It works off the barcode. It will cost you more in printing and effort to circumvent the scheme. Bit like fake € coins costing more than €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

I find even that one point difficult to follow. Systems like this have been operating for decades in other countries. I myself used it in Germany from the late 1990s until I emigrated to Ireland in 2012. It might require a bit of short-term adjustment on the parts of some people, but that's the case every time something new is brought in and if anything, it looks like the Irish system will be easier to use than the German one, where every chain (REWE, EDEKA, Lidl, Aldi) operated its own system that only accepted their own bottles, and yes, some went so far as to get their own bottles from the distributor so they could lock their customers in.

But even with that, it wasn't really an issue. I used to do my big weekend shop on Saturday morning, as did my parents, and would usually take my used bottles back to the shop, drop them off first thing to get the voucher, and then would just do my regular shop, using the voucher right then and there. My parents did the same thing, as did loads of other people. And compared to Germany, you won't have to drag crates of empty glass bottles back, which can get really heavy after a time. Just get a fold-out crate or two, drop your empty bottles in there during the week and by the time you get to your weekly shop, you'll have them all ready to return without hassle. And you'll have something to drop your groceries in.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭creedp

Too much money being collected, thats a first. Maybe the same thing will happen with this scheme.

The upside to this will hopefully be a reduction in consumption and health problems associated with drinking too many soft drinks, beer, etc. Course the unintended consequence might be larger that 3L bottles being sold which could actually increase consumption.

Back in the day I always bought a pack of 10 cigs when heading out for a few drinks. When the 10 pack was banned I had to buy a 20 pack. For 10 marks how many cigs did I return home with after my night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fairness that particular poster (and obviously we have to take them at their word) lives in a rural area such that he/she does not have a convenient/local shop, and also doesn't have a car. Added to the fact that they are already a fervent recycler, then they are getting hit badly by this scheme.

However, only incredibly small subset of people in this country would be affected this way, and their travails doesn't mean an actual flaw in the system.

Any idea how this type of exceptional situation was handled in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd say they'd have been wasting their time complaining about it during that period also, doubtless they did get complaints along the lines of those mentioned here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh right. Back in the olden days when there were zero "recycling centres" (which imo should also be fully funded through taxes, no charge) and zero bottle/drinks cans banks and no one took back your old electrical appliances.

The point is that not everyone does recycle. This is hoped to get recycling rates up.

We recycled 79% of aluminium cans in 2019 (source). That's better than some countries who have had a deposit return scheme for 10 or 15 years (source).

With recycling there is diminishing returns, you can never get to 100%. This scheme might push it to 90% in a few years if we're lucky. This is a number we could have reached organically in a few years. It will create it's own polution and energy use, it will cost tens or hundreds of millions in infrastructure costs (which will be passed to the consumer), it will see costs to the consumer via increased bin charges, fuel used, etc. It's going to create litter because homeless people will tip over bins looking for cans/bottles.

It's a bad scheme. People are already struggling with increased cost of living. MUP a year ago doubled the price of a tray of beer. The people behind this need to be run out of the country.

That situation would have been exceedingly unlikely in Germany, simply because settlement patterns in Germany are so different from the ones here in Ireland. You don't have anywhere close to the amount of one-off-housing you have here in Ireland. Most people will have their houses in villages, towns or cities. The ones that do live completely out in the countryside will usually be farmers and will likely have more than one car, out of sheer necessity.

I think in the long run, retailers will have to find a way to integrate this into their order & delivery processes. The simplest solution would be to add a check mark "Collect empty bottles" or something along those lines to the online shopping portals of SuperValu or Tesco. With third party shopping services such as BuyMie, this could get a bit more complicated, as deliveries there are handled by people with their private cars, but even there, I don't see it as a major stumbling stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I heard someone on The Hard Shoulder on Newstalk earlier and he said that some retailers are looking at take back for delivery customers.

That seems to be the way to go but loading dirty returns into a van that is delivering food products may present challenges.

I'll post a link later if I can find the segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Public consultation is a complete waste of time engaging with. Government goes out to the public during a limited and usually poorly advertised window seeking opinions that it goes on to completely disregard anyway.

Public consultation is policy-washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yes. When everything - including all those things - went into the bin that you left outside your house that was paid for out of general taxation. There was still excessive illegal dumping - more than there is now.

What’s your point?

Did you have a waste collection service that included recycling in Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

While there might be good intentions behind this scheme the cynic in me just sees yet another hidden tax that we do so much of in this country

Yes, separate bins and collections for general recyclables, paper & cardboard, glass (that couldn't be recycled via supermarkets, vegetable jars, etc.), general rubbish, and biological rubbish/compost. The only difference compared to Ireland is that there was one company for everything. The local municipality would contract bin collection out to a company which would then do it for every private & commercial premises in that particular area. That could be either a private company, such as in the place where I lived, or it could be a public utility company, such as in nearby Frankfurt.

EDIT: One thing that developed in Germany, partially because of this, was that larger supermarkets in particular started opening dedicated "Getränkemärkte", separate stores on the same premises as the main store that were entirely dedicated to selling and taking back drinks of all types. I'm not sure, when, or indeed if, this is going to happen here in Ireland, especially since the "Pfand" system in Germany is a lot more extensive, but over time, we might see that happen. All German supermarkets in my area still stocked drinks in their regular stores as well, the "Getränkemarkt" usually served those who were looking for large packs of drinks, like crates of beer bottles, lemonade, or the infamous 6 x 2l water bottle packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We did offer our views when this came up before - completely ignored obviously.

I'm already paying €90+ a quarter for bin & recycling collections. We wash the bottles / tins and put these in the recycling collection and pay for it. Now these smart asses want us to continue to pay the above, pay a new tax on purchase and then collect these bottles/ cans etc and drive them 20 miles to some place they can be put in a machine. Feck off.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do other countries use our proposed coupon system or just give out cash?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Nearly always coupons. Which you can change for cash in the shops.

Having cash in the machines would make them a theft target.

Some systems allow registering for EFT payment.

That's the way it was in Germany. The machine printed out a coupon that you could then either use on your next shop, or exchange for cash in-store. If you had enough of the stuff, you could get a nice little stack of money, I think my record stood at 35€, which was even more in the early 2010s than it is today. More typically, it was 5-10€ for me, although my parents regularly cracked the 40€ mark, thanks to my dad's penchant for beer and the relatively high deposit on glass beer bottles and crates.

Mind you, I had to drag all of my bottles back to the store on foot since I didn't have a car (still don't), though at least I had the luxury of having a REWE, Lidl & Aldi all within a kilometer of my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Stuff like this just turns people against green policy. Every green initiative involves the public being inconvenienced or charged. Or a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭beachhead

Damaged means distorted barcode,can or bottle crushed,flattened.Lidl have paying for recycling for over a year in certain branches-will miss it next Febuary.10c for 100ml,330ml,500ml cans or bottles(500ml cans get rejected),also,1 and 2 litre bottles.Most beer,cider,mixer,cans get rejected.A good training for the public.Lidl takes the lid.Local council recycling say remove the lid.

I know when I was younger I used to go on the bus more often and go into town but now not so much. My main activity outside of the home is going to work. I do the majority of my shopping online and I do the online groceries too. So I very rarely have jobs to be doing or a list made to make it worth my while to go into the nearest town. My Google maps showed me that I go to the nearest town once every 2 to 3 months.

If my nearest village doesn't have a recycling machine, it will mean I will have to save over bottles for months until I get into town. I get sick and tired easily with an auto immune condition and when I get a day off, I really do need to rest and not keep on going.

A scheme like this will likely see me losing money with the increased prices at checkout called a 'deposit' and I likely may not be able to go back to the shop for weeks and weeks. This will have me carrying trash around with me to the bus stop and beyond.

• Advertisement

I can definitely understand your perspective on that, and I think it will have to come down to retailers offering to take back empty bottles when customers place an online order. Do you have any friends, family members or colleagues in the vicinity who might be willing to lend a hand in the meantime, to minimize the impact?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement