Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Where does the constitution state that a woman’s place is in the home??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Article 41.2:

41.2.1 “In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home,

woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved”.

41.2.2 “The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall 

not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect 

of their duties in the home”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

' to the neglect of their Duties in the home' could very easily be interpreted that way

Current Article 41.2

" 1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Replacing the reference to 'woman' having her life within the home' and 'duties' within the home, with a more general recognition of the benefits of carers of any gender is a positive thing.

There are lots of men who are primary carers in the home while the woman goes to work, and Irish society should never go back to the point where women were compelled to give up their jobs when they got married in the way they were up until 1973

Yeah not seeing it.

41.1.1 It does say that the state RECOGNISES that stay at home mothers provide huge help to the state

and

41.1.2 States that if a woman WANTS to stay at home and rear her own children, economic necessity shouldn’t stop that.

That is very clear. There is nothing to say that women HAVE to, or NEED to stay at home.

• Advertisement

What? What is your point?

It explicitly states that by "HER LIFE within the home..."

Not my fault if you have a problem interpreting plain English that a marginal few have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Can't they hold this on the same date as the local elections only a couple of months later, what's this a lazy pointless virtue signal going to cost?

What an enormous waste of time and money, spend the millions on private operations for patients on the hospital waiting lists or something that will make a real difference to peoples lives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Because you'd complain about that as well.

The constitution should reflect Irish society. Nonsense like women belonging in the home had no place on it two decades ago, never mind today.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I would be AOK with it saying a parent has the right to stay at home.

I don't like that it seems that they're just deleting the line.

This looks like something that has no place in a constitution in any form. It's not being just taken out but it's being replaced. I like this TLDR News summary:

Rightists moaning about virtue-signalling makes it feel more justified IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It doesn't say a woman's place is in the home.

Obviously written at a different time it doesn't translate well in 2023.

Rather than just being taken out maybe it should reflect the many different types of primary carers there are nowadays from a dad grandparent aunt etc even foster parents

I don't want to see anything that gives the impression or otherwise of more than two genders btw. Male female.

Be trans by all means but don't go silly. I realise this has nothing to do with this referendum but just my thoughts.

It recognises the contribution of women who stays in their (her) home to raise her kids. Is it wrong to recognise the work mothers do to raise their kids?

It also says that she shouldn’t have to choose between raising her kids and working IF SHE SO CHOOSES.

It’s perfectly worded. If you stay at home, thanks for your contribution, if not, that is your choice.

Yes it does. I'm not going to respond to any more of this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

It doesn’t say anything about women belonging in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Why do neither of you want to recognise the contribution of men who stay at home ans raise kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Why not allow the men or fathers the same recognition?

Currently the constitution references to 'family ' refer to married couples only.

Not single parents and children, not cohabiting parents and children, not members of divorced families. That needs changing to be more in line with society.

Men traditionally don’t stay at home. If the referendum was to change the word woman to Parent, I’d vote Yes. But, as a man, I don’t need recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

It's not going to include the word 'man' it's more likely 'parent' or 'career' or something along those lines.

And just because you don't need recognition, there are men who are primary caregivers who do deserve that recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Thankfully this much needed and urgent update to the constitution is going ahead. It's literally all I'm hearing people discussing on the streets, in the pubs, at the school gates. We're so lucky our government have nothing else to be focusing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Might be distraction tactics albeit with good intent if it's done properly. Take the heat away from the asylum/refugee issue and get us all arguing again about words.

So what would the wording say? Person instead of woman perhaps. But as a pp said any tinkering around trying to introduce the alphabet soup of gender recognition into this will be a disaster. But maybe they want us arguing over it as I said....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Part of that strategy could be attempting to draw the headbangers and conspiraloons out of the woodwork, as they are the only people who willl likely be opposed to the referendums. And a consequence of that will be to reinforce in the public mind the association between that kind of wingnuttery and anything and everything 'right wing', including opposition to current immigration policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This is the wording being proposed:

Plans were approved for a referendum to amend Article 41.1.1, which currently recognises the family “as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society”, to define the family as “whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships”.

Article 41.2, which currently recognises that “by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved”, will be deleted.

It would then be replaced by: ‘The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.’

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/referendums-on-women-in-the-home-and-concept-of-family-to-take-place-next-march-1560793.html

So basically they’re suggesting the Constitution will recognise ‘durable relationships’ (that’ll be left up to the Courts to interpret) besides the Family, and in the second proposed wording, the Constitution recognises only the care provided in the Family by reason of the bonds that exist between them… ‘durable relationships’ not so pushed about provisioning support for those people.

They need to go back to the drawing board 😒

There not definite yet though are they?

And once the family is defined as 'define the family as “whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships”.

It's done, they don't need to define it again in a different article

I’d hope that’s not the definitive wording tbh, I’d be interested in seeing the proposed changes in legislation to recognise what appears to be a recognition of the ‘de-facto’ family - what they appear to be recognising as ‘other durable relationships’ not defined by marriage.

It strikes me as an effort at ‘civil partnerships’, long as they’re not the equivalent of marriage, which still maintains it’s own set of rights and protections. There isn’t any indication of legal protections for the children of unmarried couples, or provision for caregivers who are not recognised as Family members by virtue of the bonds that don’t exist between them and the person or persons they are providing care for as their contribution to society.

First part could’ve been legislated for in the Children and Family Relationships Act in 2015, so I’m still not convinced the proposed wording would have any meaningful impact on current legislation without seeing what they have in mind, and I’m not sure what they’re aiming for in the second part, but it doesn’t give carers the support they were hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The premise behind it is worthy IMO. However, I am wary of the word salad and resulting (mis) interpretations bringing their own problems to the debate. Which is probably playing right into the Government's hands, even though they ahem.... mean well. Dual purpose referendum so.

It is probably not the most important item on the legislative agenda right now though.

Family does need redefining, currently just referring to married couples leaves many families out. Cohabiting parents and children, single parents and their kids etc

Legislation in relation to family issues can only refer to all families, when the constitutional definition changes.

It’s because they’re not married that many families are left out, because of the way the Family is defined in the Constitution as being founded upon the institution of marriage. The proposed wording referring to ‘other durable relationships’ appears to be an attempt to introduce the idea of the ‘de facto family’ in Irish law, which is similar to the way ‘civil partnerships’ were introduced as a means to keep them separate, and certainly not equal.

It’ll still be at the discretion of the Courts to determine whether or not the circumstances in any case warrant consideration as a ‘durable relationship’ if the parents involved are not married -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ruling-stresses-no-such-thing-as-de-facto-family-in-law-1.658471

• Advertisement
Advertisement