Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This was long before the IDF was bombing them. This was when the IDF was threatening to bomb them, and they went on tv and denied there were tunnels or Hamas in the hospital, something which we now know was a lie.

The existential threat predates October 7th and has nothing to do with Israel. First they will destroy Israel, then they will come for the West.

At least there are live LGBTQ+ people in Israel. They wouldn't survive in Gaza.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Did you even read the article you linked, beyond the headline? It says exactly what I did. No official source said "40 babies were beheaded" just that 40 were killed and some were beheaded. It was a conflation of 2 things which is now being used as some sort of gotcha to show that none of it happened.

Marc Owen Jones, an associate professor of Middle East studies at Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Qatar who studies misinformation, told NBC News that he found that the source of the “40 babies beheaded” allegations largely stemmed from a viral Israeli news broadcast clip that did not specifically refer to the allegation. 

Nicole Zedeck, a correspondent for the privately owned Israeli news outlet i24NEWS, said in the video that Israeli soldiers told her they’d found “babies, their heads cut off.” The video has been viewed more than 11 million times on X, according to its view counter. In another tweet, Zedeck wrote that soldiers told her they believe “40 babies/children were killed.”

“Somehow those two bits of information were connected, the story became ‘40 babies were beheaded,’ and in the British press today, about six or seven newspapers had it on their front pages,” Jones said.

I don't think "it's ok to rip arms off babies". Not sure where you're getting that from. Please quote where I have said anything remotely resembling such a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have no problem questioning any person but the original post spoke of one particular doctor and castigated the entire profession. Here is the bit i took exception to --

''I heard a Palestinian doctor on the radio this morning saying that the accusations of rape and abuse by Hamas during their attack was "black propaganda" from Israel. Even the cravenly pro-Palestinian leftie presenter on Moaning Ireland couldn't believe what she was hearing. I really don't see why we take the word of doctors, any doctors, above that of a plumber of baker. The job you choose to do doesn't make you more or less likely to tell the truth.''

It was ONE doctor yet he said '' we shouldn't take the word of doctors ''. Doctors. This from someone who seems to take the word of every Israeli politician as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Only if the doctors actually knew. You have proof that they knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The notion that there is an existential threat to Israel from Hamas or Gaza or from Palestinians in general, is, quite frankly, bollocks.

It's as ridiculous as the notion that the Provos posed an existential threat to the existence of Britain or Al Qaeda posed an existential threat to the existence of the US.

The existential threat to Israel comes from within and that is appalling far right governance and Israel's descent as a state into being a barbarous monster. Israeli society is now tearing itself apart precisely because for decades now it has gone with corrupt demagogues and seductive easy answers and simplistic slogans over the real job of building peace.

That embracing of a Trump-like fundamental unseriousness was what enabled October 7th, along with its decades of treating Palestinians like shlt on their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah be fair. If someone is all in on the Hamas propganda train they'll need to be extremely adaptable to keep up with all the contradictions as lie after lie is uncovered and the scramble to deny and retcon that the original lie never happened despite everyone having seen it.

"Do you condemn the crushing of babies skulls resulting in cerebral matter being squeezed through the skull cracks by the Israelis?"

Victim hierarchy I've heard of, but attempts at 'how a baby is killed hierarchy' is a new phenomenon with this current conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

You may want to ask architects Gershon Zippor and Benjamin Idelson from Tel Aviv about these tunnels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Nope, an Israeli soldier did not make the claim. It was 2 separate things that were conflated. 1. 40 babies/kids were found dead. 2. Some babies were beheaded. It's not that hard to understand. Read the article you posted yourself fgs. Despite the misleading headline, it does explain the conflation.

Here is the news clip in question. It's at the very start, and she doesn't mention 40 babies at all. That was a later tweet where she said she was told by the IDF that "40 babies/children were killed" NOT that they were beheaded. I can only surmise you are being deliberately obtuse at this stage in order to continue downplaying hamas' crimes on 7th October, which is the subject of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

The people constantly adapting are those who are pro-Israel. They went from "No way did Israel bomb a hospital" to "Yeah bombing refugee camps and hospitals is totally justified." Apparently, those who didn't go south when told to deserved to be bombed, but now those who went south deserve to be bombed.

The rest of humanity, ie. those with a functioning frontal lobe, are consistent in saying that Gazans shouldn't be collectively punished for the action of Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not the none hair spiltting. I pointed out that there was an insurgency. This was countered by someone saying that Israel was formed peacefully through a UN mandate.

It's hairsplitting to focus on one detail, the mandate, and ignore all the history that led to that point. I wasn't ignoring the mandate. I know it happened. My point was that israel, like Ireland was formed through an armed insurrection against a colonial power, the same as Ireland. And in both cases they were fighting the british.

I watched a doc about him that Al Jazerra did. He managed to negotiate the release of 30k prisioners from german concentration camps, and 10k of them were jewish. And his assassin later became Ben-Gurions bodyguard.

He should have been recognised by israel as one of the righteous among nations. Those people who helped jewish people during the Holocaust. But instead he was murdered just after he arrived in Palestine and was never awarded that status because he was a neutral negotiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Israel is still considered one of the gay friendliest societies in the world and Palestine, especially Gaza one of the least.

1980s Ireland on its most homophobic day was a gay paradise by comparison.

It would be like comparing what is currently happening in Gaza to 1980s Belfast, a tense situation with occasional killings and violence.

So we'll say that Gaza is suffering with sporadic violence at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

How is asserting that doctors are no more or less honest that people who do other jobs blackening them?

Wow, not during the Rwandan genocide, not when a third of a million people were killed in Yemen, not when 600,000 people were being killed in Ethiopia, not when 600,000 people were killed and 12 million forcibly displaced in Syria, not when Russia invaded Ukraine an internally and externally displaced 14 million people and killed thousands and, finally, in the biggest war since the Second World War, not when 6 million people have been killed and 7 million displaced in the Congo... and that's only recently. No, the UN wades in on this one. Well done lads. What a great show of moral impartiality.

I'm discussing the comments of a Palestinian doctor in the West Bank and his flat out denial that Hamas raped anyone on October the 7th, claiming that such accusations were lies and Israeli "black propaganda". Are you saying that he was being truthful? Why the craven adulation of doctors? Do you think they are somehow on a higher moral plain because of the job they do?

No they don't.

Anyway, lots of people make promises that they later break. We can all list doctors that have done bad things, just as we can all list solicitors and plumbers and teachers and priests and civil servants who have done bad things. The notion that a group of people is somehow more ethical than another group of people simply because of the job they choose to do is ridiculous. The notion that calling out an individual because of their behaviour blackens everyone who chooses to do the same job is also nonsense.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yep - We shouldn't take the word of doctors.

You literally just said "I have no problem questioning any person..."

Any person... regardless of whether they are a doctor or not.

And in earlier posts you listed multiple reasons why we shouldn't take the word of doctors as 'gospel'.

You are just proving their point and are arguing against yourself now and have to resort to whataboutery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Did you read what you quoted? I said that we shouldn't take the word of doctors above that of people who choose to do a different job. I hold the same view on taking the word of people of a particular ethnicity, nationality, skin colour or religion over that of a different ethnicity, nationality, skin colour or religion.

Do you think that doctors are more ethical and honest by virtue of the job they do? Is there a hierarchy of jobs and ethics? Is a Cobbler more honest than a Pipe Fitter? What way does it work?

No, I understood. It's just that it doesn't address the question I asked or further your argument in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is why the claim made earlier that if Hamas release all the hostages the war would soon end is incorrect. It's clear Bibi for his own sake is intent on continuing the war. I get the pressure will come on from America to end the war, but without the threat of real tangible consequences- the cutting off of us aid to Israel- Bib will just carry on the war to try and ensure his own survival.

I think you're right. he really is a loathsome person.

It's definitely friendlier than Gaza or saudi (To be fair, probably everywhere is better than Saudi) but claiming Israels one of the best in the world is a stretch. I remember reading about pride parades that had to be cancelled because of threats from right wing Christian, Islamic and Jewish groups. There's three different religions there that hate gay people probably enough nutjobs in all three to threaten the safety of gay people.

Yep. The hostages are only one part. He needs to insure that there's no danger of further attacks. And for him, and apparently the majority of the Israeli population, that means the complete destruction of hamas. I think it's also coupled with a belief that if they hammer the people of gaza hard enough, it will break their will and prevent hamas regaining strength. That's a crazy idea to me. There's so many dead and probably tens of thousands maimed. Even if the population of gaza hated Hamas, this onslaught will just radacalise so many more.

We've seen what it looks like here in Ireland. Events like bloody sunday managed to kill a peaceful civil right movement and drove support to the IRA. Even if Israel kills every single member of hamas, a new armed resistance movement will arise because of the pain and suffering that's being inflicted on the people of Gaza.

Yes, religion and tolerance don't mix. How could they?

Tel Aviv has a thriving gay scene with lots of gay bars and a big pride parade. A close friend of mine has been there a number of times and he's very camp. In his own words, he's "riddled with gay". Interestingly it seems to be where gay Palestinian Arabs are drawn to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭brickster69

“the emphasis is on damage and not on accuracy”.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement