Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It will all depend on the actual proposed wording, but they have had long enough to make sure it is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

How would you define it other than "durable relationship"? Genuine question there, I'm not being smart, because I agree the wording isn't great but I don't even have a suggestion myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭techdiver

So currently aticle 41.2 states:

1. In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2. The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Now I see both sections being replaced with:

"The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision."

Now I'm all for this referendum but what jumps out is the difference in definition of support for such a person to stay at home being amended from "The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged" to "shall strive to support such provision".

This is quite watered down and could have wider implications to family supports provided by the state going forward.

Ever since Charlie McCreevys "Tax Individualisation" changes in the budget in 2000 there has been a defacto war on single income households in Ireland. It was hailed as a step forward in employment equality but when you scratch the surface all it did is use a stick as opposed to a carrot in order to "force" households into a position of requiring two incomes to survive by removing the ability to fully transfer all tax credits and full standard rate cutoff allowance between couples.

Once again I must state I fully support removing archaic wording from the constitution but on more than one occasion in the past the government has managed to marginalise single income households all under the guise of "equality".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’d include those relationships in the definition of Family, but that’s not being proposed by either referendum.

It appears that Government would rather tiptoe around that rabbit-hole and breathe a sigh of relief when the referendum passes - it’s a point on their political scorecard. But as it stands it’s kinda like when you go to your barber and ask for a haircut, they tidy up a bit around the edges and you’re left feeling short-changed when you’re told you got what you asked for - technically true, but it’s not actually what you had in mind.

It’s a tidy-up of existing law, but it doesn’t appear to have any real impact in it’s purported aims of recognising the diversity of the Family as an institution in modern Irish society when the Family is still based on being defined by the institution of marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

On the other hand, in hindsight, with all the bitty adjustments to the constitution we've been making over the past 15 years or so, would it not have been better to scrap Dev's Constitution entirely some time round 2010 and replace it something more streamlined and with less archaic concepts and language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It would be better to split the referenda in two.

In each case, have one vote to delete the existing provisions, which almost certainly would have majority support. And then, separately, to vote for the new wording, which are less likely to pass. In that case, if the first set of votes pass, but the second does not, the Constitution would be silent on the issues, but at least not archaic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would say no. It'd be too disruptive and Ireland is a mature democracy well accustomed to regular plebiscites. Everyone casts their ballot knowing what's going to happen. No constitution is perfect but it can be modernised quite easily as various referenda have shown.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Yeah, it's not something I've thought much about before now tbh, but when I saw the new wording I did think it seemed like a missed opportunity to take marriage out altogether.

I couldn’t see a Government proposing a referendum if they weren’t already entirely confident in its passing tbh. Voter turnout is likely to be much higher by combining the two amendments into one referendum as opposed to the idea of holding a second and separate one only for the proposal to be rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They held a referendum on Seanad reform that they lost.

My point was though that they were confident in its being passed, whereas if they hadn’t been, they wouldn’t have been likely to propose a referendum on the issue while they were in Government -

Fine Gael's 2011 election manifesto pledged to have a referendum to abolish the Seanad within 12 months of taking office; as Taoiseach in 2012, Enda Kenny attributed the delay in introducing the bill to the complexity of the changes required.

Enda tried to distance himself from defeat afterwards as though his Government had nothing to do with it -

Kenny's reaction included that he was "personally disappointed" but that "sometimes in politics you get a wallop in the electoral process. I accept the verdict of the people...It is not about parties, it is not about leaders, it is not about government because there wasn't a government campaign here. It was the people's day and the people's decision and that's the people's absolute right and I think from that point of view this is the ultimate exercise in democracy."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-second_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_Bill_2013

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I voting no, more as a vote of no confidence in the current state of politics more than anything.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 34,697 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So why does it mention a woman's "duties" in the home but not a man's?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It's got nothing to do with this referendum but you thought you'd muddy the waters anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Cobblers.

Since when was it only women who do this? Are you stuck in the 1950s perhaps?

I was the sole earner in our household for over ten years, your talk of a "war on single income households" is a load of complete hoop - and nothing to do with the constitution either.

Oh ffs, it states that the family will be defined as based on marriage "or other durable relationships", did you not read the wording?

You mean a protest vote, like Brexit was for many? That was really mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's not "hoop" as you beautifully describe it it's a fact. Tax individualisation made single income households worse off. I am part of one today and lose put significantly as a result. And by the way it doesn't matter what the gender of the single earner in the household is. Single income households are worse off from tax point if view than they were prior to 2000.

Rather than it not be a constitutional issue that move pushed many households into requiring 2 incomes. 2 income households jumped significantly in the ensuing years. Is that a coincidence? Kinda goes against the line "by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home" (once again I want this specific gendered term removed before I get lynched for my opinion).

Also my point regarding the constitution if you cared to read what I says as opposed to just jumping down my neck was that I fully support the removal of a woman's place in the home but we can do that whilst also recognising the economic value that a parent (regardless of gender) who cares for kids in the home adds economic value also. It doesn't matter which parent. Spoiler alert! Some parents actually want to raise their own kids as opposed to just seeing them for a couple of hours in the evening and at weekends.

My only argument with the proposed wording was the watering down of that recognition. The same wording can be kept in whilst removing the gender description. That's all I was saying.

You can be both progressive without giving governments an out from a rights and societal responsibility point of view. As just one example. It could be argued that child benefit would be less assured without that wording in the constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your problem here is the complete lack of any rational connection between the vote you cast and the statement you wish to make. You could just as meaningfully categorise a "yes" vote as a vote of no confidence in the current state of politics. Either way, nobody but you knows what statement you think you are making (and if nobody knows what statement you are making, what is the point of making it?) and your vote will still have an effect in relation to a question that you evidently don't care about.

Why not abstain as a protest, and let people who care about this issue decide it one way or the other? The protest is just as ineffective, but probably less harmful.

I did read the wording, it's why I said earlier I'd be interested in seeing what legislative changes are proposed on foot of the passing of the referendum when in Irish law marriage will still carry much greater legal weight than leaving it to the Courts to decide in each case where the parents are not married to each other, whether or not their relationship (as defined in the second proposal 'the bonds that exist between them') constitutes a 'durable relationship' that would recognise children as having equal protection in law as the Family where the parents are, or at least were at some point, married to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Until those wanting me to vote Yes can tell me what a woman is I will also be voting No.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're voting to keep language about women in the Constitution because you don't know what a woman is?

I don’t think anyone’s suggested it was only ever women who worked in the home. It’s just a fact that 90% of those people in 2022 who recorded their status as looking after the home/family, are women:

• Of all people who recorded their economic status as ‘looking after the home/family’ in 2022, 90% were female.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpp7/census2022profile7-employmentoccupationsandcommuting/principaleconomicstatus/

I don’t imagine the referendum as it was expected, or as it’s worded, will have any bearing whatsoever on that statistic. Far more likely economic conditions will have a more pronounced influence, as they did since the figures were recorded in 2016 when, while the numbers of men doing so doubled in 10 years, it was still 98% were women:

• Nearly all of the people (98%) who were looking after home or family in 2016 were women although the number of men in this grouping nearly doubled in the ten years up to 2016, rising from 4,900 to 9,200.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-wamii/womenandmeninireland2016/socialcohesionandlifestyles/

You were hardly bucking the trend HD when that 98% represents nearly half a million women, but at least your oversight is forgivable, whereas Roderic? I might suggest a trip to specsavers for a new pair of prescription lenses, because the ones he’s viewing modern Irish society through appear to be a tad out of focus when he still comes out with this kind of stuff:

Making the announcement, Minister for Integration Roderic O'Gorman said that "a woman's place is where ever she wants it to be".

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd1pjlmgp1ro.amp

It might have sounded more profound had he not just been paraphrasing Leo from five years earlier:

The Taoiseach said “a woman’s place is where she wants it to be and that is not necessarily in the home”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/a-woman-s-place-is-where-she-wants-it-to-be-taoiseach-says-1.3560667

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

I'll be voting no. A constitution is an aspirational document and marriage is statistically the best way to raise a family and children have the best outcome when the mother stays at home. Those are facts backed by tons of data and should not be changed because of some lazy neo liberal trend to dilute our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To you share that data please? I'm particularly interested in how marriage is statistically the best way to raise a family, and how women should stay at home.

Doesn't make sense to me. There are many broken marraiges, bad parents etc. If two people are raising a family it shouldn't make a difference if they are married, similarly women stayng at home? A bit outdated.

If the choice was be married and be a stay at home mother, or civil partnership and two incomes. By gut says the latter is affords a far better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If you put "https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3091824/" in to your address bar be prepared to realise that "marriage between two biological parents provides the best wellbeing out comes for children in a family, above all other forms". Also Google "Home with Mom: The effects of stay-at-home parents on children's long-run educational outcomes" an amazing Norwegian study which says the same. The reality is that the optimal outcome is a child raised by his mother in a family built on marriage between loving biological parents. You won't find a peer reviewed study to detract that.

Advertisement