Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Theyd be better off having a referendum on immigration the gobshites. Another distraction from on going problems facing this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You know there's gonna be a general election in the pretty near future to execute a more obvious protest vote? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It makes perfect sense but that's not the way the world works.

Not all marriages are loving and when they're not, it'd be better for the parents to break up and the kids to go with one or the other. No amount of "But the study says..." will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You cannot capture every possible scenario within a constitution particularly a hundred years later and in fairness at the time it was written it was likely that it didn't capture every scenario then either.

An even with that, did/does it really matter?

With that you then have to ask on the scale of importance how important it is to spend time and money on this and for me it is well down the list.

As such I don't disagree with a change, but I amnt exercised enough outside of a conversational post here. As such, as others have said, this needs to be held with another voting day, bundle then in together - it really isn't that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Did you actually read what you linked to? Or just copy and paste a bit that you liked?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think we need to worry about how the demographic that doesn't know what a woman is will vote.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Completely pointless referendum on something which has zero impact of people's lives. This is clearly just a cynical attempt by the government to distract people from releasing what a sh1t job they are doing and how little they've done to address real issues that affect peoples everyday lives.They could easily have held this referendum with local elections for example but I guess the government feels it's better to waste excess money on this. This referendum is an example of the self indulgence that exists in politics which has really increased the level of contempt most people have for politicians and politics in general..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Divorced parents with children are not a family currently.

At least the gobshites know when and why a referendum can be called. Seems a lot of gobshites in this country do not.

It absolutely has impact on people's lives.

Our constitution is the basis of our rights, 'the family ' are accorded special place in society, and 'the mother ' staying in the home afforded special rights, because of 'the family '

Which is great, but does not afford those same rights to any families that are not based on a married unit. So children of single parent families, are not protected as family the same way as children from married units.

Also, anyone else staying home to mind children, keep the home, act as careers etc are not given the same special protection as women in the home.

So, yes it does impact people's lives. Sometimes I think people just don't realise how important out constitution is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Loads of data allegedly but you provide none.

Can anyone give a single good reason for keeping this archaic abomination?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I can see this crashing and burning quite badly. Such is the public mood out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A few family members we spoke about it and all for voting no. All voted yes to more recent social issues referenda

Post edited by road_high on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think that's right.

In various cases the courts have commented that references in the Constitution to "the family" refer to the family "founded on the institution of marriage".

Those cases are quite old and the Supreme Court might not follow them today. There are other cases which suggest a wider interpretation - e.g the brother or sister of a deceased tenant might be able to invoke their constitutional status as a family member; the family relationship between siblings obviously doesn't depend on whether their parents were married or not.

But even if the cases are interpreted strictly, there is nothing in them to say that a family must be founded on a subsisting marriage. If one spouse dies the marriage has ended, but the surviving spouse and the children still constitute a family "founded on the institution of marriage". When both spouses have died, the children will still constitute a family for constitutional purposes. If that is true of a marriage ended by death, it must equally be true of a marriage ended by divorce; the spouses couldn't be divorced unless they were married, and therefore the family is still one founded on the institution of marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A choice between the Healy-Rae's and SFFG. Maybe Peader will cop on and drop the catholic morals sthick.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Martina, is that you? 😂 the Burkes are a perfect example of a family educated by their stay at home mother who have achieved fantastic educational results yet can't hold down a job or interact with the rest of society.

How anyone can think the Burke children represent the optimal outcome in parenting is quite frankly worrying. Unless your Martina or Sean Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't trust Roderic much anyway when it comes to social issues. Voting yes could potentially be a Trojan horse to further some crackpot ideology, yes that sounds a bit conspiracy theorist but the greens behaviour in government comes across as quite contemptuous to me.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

hey could easily have held this referendum with local elections for example but I guess the government feels it's better to waste excess money on this.

Sounds sensible but IIRC there's been criticism of this approach in the past as distracting from the referendumm in question, e.g. the referendums on jusges' salaries and Oireachtas inquiries, two subjects that no doubtr had the whole country agog, were held on the same day as the 2011 presidential election

In October, The Irish Times commented that coverage of the presidential election limited public debate on the two referendums being held the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’ll be encouraging anyone I know to vote no. And I’ll also encourage those who aren’t sure that “If you don’t know, vote No.”

Although I do wonder if we do vote “wrong” will we be democratically forced to vote again a la Nice/Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have made a conscious decision to stop voting for anything that changes the constitution, as every time we do change it seems to get abused not too long after.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

All bored yes to more recent social issues referenda

Repeal? Yeah, sure, whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Same sex marriage ref:

The told us that the sanctity of marriage won't be damaged by the referendum. "Love is Love"

Abortion Ref:

They promised a system that we voted on, now they're looking to loosen the criteria a few years later.

Blasphemy amendment:

We voted to get rid of blasphemy in the constitution. Now they are bringing in these "hate speech" which will be even stricter than before.

You can't trust them on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

What, like they'll listen to people, change the wording so it's more acceptable then run it again?

What b@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Not the greatest argument, but it’s clear that the poster is saying those who are amending the law are unable to define what a woman is.

No need to derail a thread again by deliberately misinterpreting people for laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Just as much as there's no need to turn this into (yet another!) Trans bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’ve read the study you linked to. It’s pretty clear that the issues they refer to come from low income and poor socioeconomic backgrounds - they state this. It is also apparent that those families are more likely to be broken, and have issues. It’s a bit of a leap to attribute the issues to the lack of a marriage rather than socioeconomic status.

The meta analysis is also families that are together and those that are not. Being together doesn’t require marriage.

It also concludes that marriage is not actually fixing anything.

These findings suggest that encouraging marriage among at-risk populations may not translate into improved child outcomes

So nothing. The sanctity of marriage is as intact as ever and women are using their bodily autonomy as we expected them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

And has that affected any court judgments in recent memory?

Does it stop people other than mothers staying home to look after children?

It has no impact, every single constitution in the world has outdated language contained in them but largely they have zero impact , this is no different.

• Advertisement

Why?

What is wrong with equality? What is wrong with giving men caregivers the same rights and protections as women?

Advertisement