Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

200 mill spent on Enzo and Caicedo and the midfield looks shocking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Liverpool for the league. City are nowhere near the same team as last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How did Enzo not get a foot on either of those two balls and turn them towards goal. The first one especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Looks like the spotlight that’s been shone on City’s 115 charges since the Everton points decision is eating in on Guardiola & the team. Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I still think City will win, but if they do lose it, it will be to Arsenal... Liverpool are the more dangerous team going forward, but I think Arsenal have a better balanced team. Rice has been a serious signing for them!

I don't know what to make of Enzo, I was expecting this all action box to box beast, he doesn't look related to a footballer half the time. He surely can't be that bad?

Caicedo, I know he can play, but they were just strolling past him tonight. Somethings not right there. If things went differently during the summer, I'd be expecting him to be bossing it in Liverpools midfield right now, so I think he can get back to that level.

That Chelsea performance is up there with one of the worst I've witnessed, from a so called to tier side in a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If City are within touching distance when KDB comes back, you've still got to fancy them.

Essentially, Nunes and Kovacic haven't hit their stride immediately, so with Gundogan gone and KDB injured, and Stones just back, in reality, the middle of their pitch is lacking their usual control.

Perhaps. No way City are winning it. Liverpool are playing badly and winning. City are playing wellish and loosing. City have picked up 6 points from the last 15 and most of them from winning positions. They are done.

And as much as I dislike Arsenal it’d be good for the neutral for them to win it.

• Advertisement

Man City failing to create a single shot after the 11th minute tonight is a mad stat.

Serious performance from Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Arsenal have Villa, Brighton and Liverpool up next. If they get 5 points out of that, I think they'll be proper contenders.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Playing badly and winning is not a good sign. Its when you are playing well and winning, then play one bad game and still win its a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

league wide open now - between 3 - hopefully end City monopoly

City are still in it. Far too early to be writing them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

City still rightfully favourites but any time they drop points is good for the league. If there’s a sub 90 point winning target it brings a few teams into contention.

City will be targetting 4 wins from 4 in their best run of games - Luton, Palace, Sheffield United & Everton.

Arsenal play Villa and Liverpool in the mean time.

Never write them off as they are still the team most equipped to go on a run of 10+ wins in a row.

They're currently fourth and have dropped 9 points in the last 4 games, you can forgive for thinking you were talking about Villa, Liverpool and Arsenal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Advertisement

City’s bench is very light and one or two of thier starters aren’t world beaters. No chance they are winning it this season. Don’t get me wrong I want to see them win it but not gonna happen. You can sense these things.

I'd love them to do it, but cant see them keeping it up, hope Im wrong

If Villa beat Arsenal at the weekend , they will be rightly in it - big test

Kovacic was a poor signing anyways imo. He never really lit the world up at Chelsea or Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,797 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If spurs win tomorrow are they classed as in the race also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why? They'll still be fifth, unless they score 11+ goals...

The race is a four horse race at this stage.

This is the thing. Arsenal have Villa away, Brighton at home, Liverpool away and West Ham at home between this weekend and just after Christmas.

Liverpool have Palace away, United at home, Arsenal at home and Burnley away in the same time frame as City's handy run.

Teams above them are going to be dropping points simply by virtue of playing each other. It ain't even remotely close to being over.

If they win tomorrow they’ll be on the same points as city - therefore a 5 horse race no?

• Advertisement

And still 5th, with a huge difference in GD.

And as the old saying goes,

Spurs be spurs and will spurs it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We should include Newcastle and Utd as well then and make it an 7 horse race. But in all seriousness its great for the league to have the top 8 so tight and it adds to the excitement

Absolutely.

The busy Christmas period will be fantastic excitement.

Certainly not out of the running by any means given the make up of the table presently, though a big game (for both teams) on Sunday vs Newcastle coming up if both were to win tomorrow in particular.

Liverpool play West Ham midweek in the cup between playing Man Utd & Arsenal. Arsenal have a free midweek which will help them in the hectic schedule. Liverpool have injury problems mounting up with some long terms injuries, so less chance to rotate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Not even half way yet. Bit early to be making bold claims. Personally I still think City win the league. I suspect Liverpool and Arsenal push them pretty close but don't topple them

Wow- looking at the Liverpool sheff utd game and Liverpool were lucky to get that win.

Sheffield should’ve had a peno and they should have had a foul directly before the pool second.

Question mark about VVD goal also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why is midweek MOTD always at such a ridiculous hour? You'd think there'd be an even greater call for it to at a reasonable time than the weekend ones...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I know it's getting mentioned here and that mostly the people doing so are doing so in terms of technically and can't be ruled out / if their form continues but I don't think any Villa fan thinks we are in for any kind of title challenge. CL qualification now that is a possibility especially if there is a 5th place team in with a chance of getting that.

That said Man Utd and Newcastle in the CL this season and them potentially not even dropping into the Europa has not exactly been helping the English coefficient.

European treble anyone - City (champions league) Liverpool (Europa) Villa (Conference) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sheffield were hanging out of Liverpool players anytime a corner went in, Van Dijks goal is absolutely fine in that sense. I assume you are alluding to Nunez winning the ball before he crosses it to Szbo for his goal it was a great tackle and won the ball.

If Salah and Diaz didn't stink the place out Liverpool would have hammered Sheffield, who themselves I think had 1 or 2 shots on target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You clearly didn't watch the game as it never looked like Sheffield were going to score. Heck, if they'd tried at all, they would have since Kelleher is a poor keeper. He might have made 1 decent save and 1 comfortable one all game. Liverpool dominated from start to finish, could have had several more goals and never really got out of 2nd gear. They were clearly saving themselves for the Saturday lunchtime kick off. It was a woeful slog of a game to watch for fans at the time, so why anyone would watch it later is beyond me. Particularly a "neutral".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

City will go on there usual run 10 game winning run after Christmas and walk the league as per usual.

Same thing literally happens every year. Would loge to be proved wrong but can't see anything else especially with De Bruyne returning.

Him and Rodri are their best players so even they can struggle a bit with them missing as the squad doesn't seem to be as good as last season. Kovacic and Nunes haven't really settled in yet but Gundogan is a huge loss so far.

Literally none of that is true.

The only times Sheffield Utd threatened were from individual ridiculous mistakes from one of Liverpool's players.

VVD's goal was fine. And if Sheffield should've had a penalty, then Liverpool should've had at least 2.

Liverpool played that in 1st or 2nd gear, taking off Salah and Diaz at 65 minutes. If Klopp felt there was any genuine threat in that game outside our own mistakes, he's not taking Salah off.

I didn’t watch the game only the highlights.

They literally said all of what I said on MOTD, bar they reckoned VVDs goal was probably ok, however Sheffield should have had a peno and Nunez scissor tackle from behind should’ve been a free kick ruling out pools second goal. This is what the pundits said not just me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Must be weird being Kovacic and Phillips. Both are fit afaik and yet when Rodri is finally not in the starting line-up (cos lets face it Pep is never going to drop him) neither make the team and Guadiola starts 2 CBs ahead of them in midfield.

Also where the heck does Rico Lewis play. Seems to be in a different position every time I see him appear in a city formation. Thought he was another one of those FBs Pep likes to put into CM but was he an attacking midfielder yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

11/10 Man City

11/4 Arsenal

15/4 Liverpool

33/1 Aston Villa

50/1 Tottenham, Newcastle

100/1 Man Utd

1000/1 and bigger, the rest. If you had told me in August that Chelsea would be 1000/1 as December starts!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

While Liverpool deserved the win, Nunez's tackle before the goal was borderline dangerous. Scissor tackle from behind, could do some serious damage with that. By all accounts, the ref let a lot go though, so Sheff Utd fans can't have much compaints.

If funny though how they highlighted the Sheffield UTD incident, but failed to show the 2 identical fouls on Liverpool players at the other end that resulting in no penalties either. Its almost like these pundits try to create a narrative to give them something to discuss on the game, imagine that!

Because Pep is so particular about how he needs his teams to play. You'll find there are little kooks in the way they play that we don't see, and until Pep irons them out, he won't trust them.

It's also why losing Gundogan, as well as the KDB and Stones injuries, has made them look very, very different.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement