Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭chrisd2019

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'll try.......

Ryan Tubridy is James Bond in...........

• From Montrose with Love
    • Goldfingers
    • Thunderbollocks
    • On His Majesty's Deportation List
    • Live And Just Lie
    • The Man with the Golden Renault
    • The Nation Who Loved Me
    • Employment Contracts: For Your Eyes Only
    • A View To A Shill
    • Licence to Shill
    • Donnybrook Is Not Enough
    • Lie Another Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

plugging his plugs

Isn't that an offence? Like Muffin the Mule?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's undermining his authority when he tells them to stop plugging stuff,

Unless they are hocking something grossly offensive like Nazi memorial, KB has no authority.

How would he?

It would be in their contract with RTÉ. The side deals that RTÉ "personalities" have/has caused problems for RTÉ and the RTÉ brand.

______

Yesterday

Their contract would suggest don't engage in anything grossly offensive in public that would damage the reputation of the company - standard stuff, even at that it would be up for debate legally if it got to that.

Whether they are a paid employee or on contract no company in Ireland exclusively owns a person or how else they choose to generate revenue or an income.

Think about it.

They are also on good wages, so there would be a certain amount of exclusivity as an RTÉ presenter, this is the reason why RTÉ pay so much so that the competition don't get these stars, you can sign on to exclusively arrangements for appearances. You also have to remember that such things take time and take them away from RTÉ, were they work, RTÉ would have to agree to let them head of to a photo shoot, unless they have arranged it during their copious amount of holidays.

______

Yesterday

There is only exclusivity if it expressly stated in the contract both sign and even then that is finite.

We abolished slavery a long time ago.

You also have to remember that such things take time and take them away from RTÉ, were they work, RTÉ would have to agree to let them head of to a photo shoot, unless they have arranged it during their copious amount of holidays.

You have pivoted to them not fulfilling their contractual obligations, that is completely different and irrelevant to the points raised.

• Advertisement

Cynically I'd wonder about some of the things RTÉ have allowed their presenters do while on RTÉ time.

Again as I say the whole idea of high wages is to prevent people leaving, why pay so much money when you willing to allow them to be your competition.

No offence to Doireann but at this point she's a walking billboard.

______

Yesterday

I have no idea who Doireann is, but if she raises her profile using her personal social media than there is a potential gain to RTE.

There is nothing really complex about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's surprising - and a little bit concerning - to see people so eager to have their bosses or companies have such a tight control over their personal lives.

It would be absolutely disastrous for society as a whole if companies had complete control over what employees (or contractors) did in their free time.

Bakhurst was correct to come down hard on presenters using RTE time (or resources) for unauthorised personal gain, as he did with Doireann Garrihy when she promoted a certain porridge brand in photos taken in her studio. Or when Lottie Ryan filmed a promotion for a car brand in the RTE carpark. But his authority rightly and absolutely stops at the RTE gate.

Ms. Garrihy's promotion of this jewellery establishment may be tacky, but it's not unlawful, doesn't interfere with RTE's commercial interests or reputation, and isn't any of RTE's business.

We should be very careful about how we call on the rights of others to be eroded because of petty gripes we have with individuals that can easily be ignored, and really mean very little in the larger scheme of things. They're our rights too.

Is it a potential gain for RTÉ?

Sure why not let all RTÉ presenters push their brand outside of RTÉ?

An independent podcast for all, The HSE Daithi's Hair Show, Maura's Penny's from Heaven Dresses, Lottie's Toyota Car Lot.

And what if they don't do well... what if they are just pushing a brand ... and that's all they are known for, and when they are on RTÉ people just think of that brand !

But sure pay them 100k and let them take in another 100k with a sponsorship.

And clearly it isn't work for her, I only know her because I look at RTÉ press clippings, and you do not. I am sure she's bring in that youth audience they are so desperate to get.

______

Yesterday

Sure why not let all RTÉ presenters push their brand outside of RTÉ?

You are grossly and wildly missing the point. RTE don't have an absolute say.

If that lady wants to share a version of her private life and monetise it, that is exclusively up to here, there is a clear and obvious value to it if your assertion is correct that she is "she's a walking billboard".

I think maybe your missing the point that RTÉ suggest that their presenters are exclusive to them and that they need to be exclusive so to gain and retain an audience. Yet once you begin to be ubiquitous you just be come the next Carrie Crowley, and you get a diminishing return.

I don't see how this fits with Public Service Broadcasting.

______

Yesterday

RTÉ suggest that their presenters are exclusive to them and that they need to be exclusive so to gain and retain an audience

Do they? Either way they can suggest what they like.

It doesn't trump employment law in this country.

If they want exclusivity in X, Y or Z, they express it contractually and pay for it, the same with every other company.

The idea a company should basically own every facet of someone is as remedial as it is dangerous.

But thankfully absolute preposterous.

Exclusivity in an employment contract means not working for competitors - which would clearly be detrimental for your employer's commercial interests. So she can't work as presenter for Today FM while signed to RTE. This isn't controversial.

Plugging jewellery on her own time has nothing to do with exclusivity. If Ms. Garrihy wants to earn some extra money on her own time and with her own resources as a cleaner or a dog walker or a jewellery model, she's perfectly and lawfully entitled to do so.

Exclusivity in an employment contract means not working for competitors - which would clearly be detrimental for your employer's commercial interests. So she can't work as presenter for Today FM while signed to RTE

That wouldn't be absolute either, she could certainly work for either and do commercial work elsewhere. As does happen.

But the point you raise about directly negative contribution would be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Clearly they are linked though - let said person go from RTE employment or contract. Then see how much related sponsorship/ promotional work they get. Said person is piggy backing on work for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

2 referendums coming up in March how about a referendum on RTE....

oh sorry the people are too immature to decide that one.... the government will do it for them.

They clearly do suggest that there presenters and talent are "exclusive" to them and that is why they need to pay them so much money. I mean this has been their argument for a very long time.

I am not suggesting that a company own every facet of a person, I am suggesting they are a public service broadcaster with contractors and staff in a public service broadcasting company that is currently in the mists of a scandal involving sponsorships.

______

Yesterday

Again, none of what you think or what may be suggested trumps employment law.

If you want exclusivity on X, Y, Z you express it specifically contractually.

If she is a contractor she is really no different to a plumber.

Referenda are the means to amend the constitution, which in the bedrock upon which legislation is built. There’s nothing in the constitution about RTE - nor should there be.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,581 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Has Tubs got a gig with McDonald's...

So they don't ever suggest what I am suggesting they suggest :/

I'd say they specifically state their highly paid contractors are allowed certain leeway with sponsorship deals.

If she is she might want to go do some plumbing around by TodayFM!

______

Yesterday

We have had plebiscites on City Mayors. they are not binding plebiscites but they have taken place.

______

Yesterday

They can suggest what they want.

If they want something adhered to they put it in a contract which the other party has to agree to.

Contracts are not infallible they also have to adhere to Irish Employment Law.

IF this sort of fluff annoys I suggest you stop reading and sharing the likes of Evoke, it really is gutter tabloid buffoonery.

• Advertisement

Ah Boggles I don't know why you want to defend these people.

______

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement