Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I did the whole thing of downloading HDF from ESB and putting it into Energy Pal. I also manually put in the Yuno Fixed rate D/N Urban into Energypal, it wasn't already there for some reason. Once you remove the free Sat/Sun type rates from consideration then Yuno comes up as the best option. Going to go for it I think but I've seen a lot of negative comments about Yuno reading back in this thread a few pages. The standing charge is higher than most others but is there something else I'm missing about them? Will just pay the 50euro break fee if electricity prices drop significantly next year. Also raging I didn't look into switching provider last week when the Black Friday offers were going 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Well, it looks like you would save €200 by choosing the free Sat/Sun, and making it work even better for you than your past usage, by switching a bit more of your usage to that free day. Why rule it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I should've mentioned we're planning to get an EV next year so the 100kwh monthly cap on the free sat/sun kind of makes it a bit pointless as we would be probably over that cap after 2 Sundays of charging the car plus our usual usage. A lot of the EV plans have a very high peak rate so that's putting me off them and also why none of those plans are within the top 10 of suggested plans(Our peak rate usage is consistently high). I think ultimately we won't know the ideal plan until we've had the car for at least a year so that's why I was thinking just go for the lowest rate available for day and night and look at the data again in a year

If you haven't, you should take these numbers you have that are based on your past usage, factor in your best guess for the EV charging consumption and what time/rate that would be, factor in the free 100kWh, and see the result.

Your EV will become a large part of the equation, as a result your peak usage will be that much lower relatively to your overall bill, maybe your focus on the peak rate makes you miss the only number that matters, which is your overall cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So what's the story with government credit that I asked before? You get back anything unused when u switch to new provider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

If you switch providers and have credit left wether it’s your own if you paid in advance or government credit you will get a refund either to your bank or a cheque, it’s best to get in touch after your final bill to instigate a refund, electric Ireland took a week to send me a cheque from when I requested

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Got my first bill in from flogas BWE offer posted here during summer. We are on smart rates (we activated accidentally while with SSE earlier this year).

Bill is down nearly 50% from this time last year, without any govt credit, delighted. Think it's a combination of being more careful when we run appliances plus better rates! We are fully electric with air to water heating. Winter bill (next 1-2 ) will be the real test. I nearly had a heart attack with the bill in Jan last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Rang flogas and they changed my fixed rate from 34.85 to 31 with no break fee or hassle. 50e to break next time they say. Fixed for 12 months. Offered me variable rate at 37 something with 100e credit also but that didn't make sense to me as they only just changed that so probably a few months before the next drop

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When did FloGas drop their fixed rates? Just looking there now and it's 35.42c for day units and 17.16 for night.

Still cheaper for me to go with the BG black Friday deal where the rates were 37.05c and 16.55c with my usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

I got a new rm108 day night meter but after 2 months it still hasn't registered a valid connection. I have strong mobile signal. The meter itself seems to show 3 bars. ESBN are basically giving "computer says it won't work" answer but I find it hard to believe.

Just wondering how many bars of signal others see on RM108 meter? Is 3 the max ?

What are my options to have problem properly investigated as I would need 30 minute reads to get any of the smart plans that suit my use case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Akula

Is there still a way to sign up to that BG deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

no, that offer is over.

here is a new flogas affinity rate i did find, but not sure it beats some of the current rates though - fixed at 33.48c incl vat for 12 months.

Certa Affinity Rate | flogas.ie - until Dec 12th

Certa Exclusive Offer 07.11.23.pdf (flogas.ie) - t's and c's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

got my final SSE Electricity bill after switching to the BGE deal, they did charge the break fee, the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Can I only download the HDF file from Electric Ireland et all if I am on a Smart Tariff? I have a Smart Meter with a while and was hoping to do this analysis before completing a switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No you don't need to be on a smart tariff. I don't see the point in doing this tbh. In my case I'm on a 24hr plan meaning I plug in the car whenever it needs charging, we just use machines etc whenever it's required obviously this file is going to reflect this usage, now if I moved to a smart plan say the energia EV plan it's only then that my usage habits would change. It's kind of a chicken and the egg situation 🥴

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It you are switching can the new company make you start a direct debit..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

To avail of full discounts most suppliers require you to accept direct debit payment & paperless billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They'll want you on direct debit but you won't get the better rates if you don't pay by DD

People can adapt their habits to a variable extent ... some very limited. Having an idea of what plan suits best your current habits is a very good starting point, even if of course you can then adapt to make it work better for you.

If you don’t like direct debit you can sign up to it and then pay in advance x amount per week then you get the discount and can manage your bill yourself

• Advertisement

Government credit landed in my account

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Energia

there should be an email about the dates to save you the hassle of checking

Not on mine either, everyone on prepay electricity got theirs on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It'll come soon enough no doubt, I'm just hoping it's before my next bill due in 2 weeks time.

Don’t panic if it’s not there, this is a snippet from the email

The first credit of €150 will be applied before the end of December and the following instalments will be credited in January and March 2024. 

I'm the same, meter reading is due to be lifted around the 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Interestingly, if the credit gets applied to an account after the bill is issued but before the payment due date, then no direct debit is necessary in theory, but the reality is that the direct debit will likely happen anyway to reflect the account status at the time of the original bill (i.e. no credit present).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Yes so essentially it delays the benefit to the account holder.

Advertisement