Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

No they don't.

Anyway, lots of people make promises that they later break. We can all list doctors that have done bad things, just as we can all list solicitors and plumbers and teachers and priests and civil servants who have done bad things. The notion that a group of people is somehow more ethical than another group of people simply because of the job they choose to do is ridiculous. The notion that calling out an individual because of their behaviour blackens everyone who chooses to do the same job is also nonsense.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yep - We shouldn't take the word of doctors.

You literally just said "I have no problem questioning any person..."

Any person... regardless of whether they are a doctor or not.

And in earlier posts you listed multiple reasons why we shouldn't take the word of doctors as 'gospel'.

You are just proving their point and are arguing against yourself now and have to resort to whataboutery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Did you read what you quoted? I said that we shouldn't take the word of doctors above that of people who choose to do a different job. I hold the same view on taking the word of people of a particular ethnicity, nationality, skin colour or religion over that of a different ethnicity, nationality, skin colour or religion.

Do you think that doctors are more ethical and honest by virtue of the job they do? Is there a hierarchy of jobs and ethics? Is a Cobbler more honest than a Pipe Fitter? What way does it work?

No, I understood. It's just that it doesn't address the question I asked or further your argument in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is why the claim made earlier that if Hamas release all the hostages the war would soon end is incorrect. It's clear Bibi for his own sake is intent on continuing the war. I get the pressure will come on from America to end the war, but without the threat of real tangible consequences- the cutting off of us aid to Israel- Bib will just carry on the war to try and ensure his own survival.

I think you're right. he really is a loathsome person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's definitely friendlier than Gaza or saudi (To be fair, probably everywhere is better than Saudi) but claiming Israels one of the best in the world is a stretch. I remember reading about pride parades that had to be cancelled because of threats from right wing Christian, Islamic and Jewish groups. There's three different religions there that hate gay people probably enough nutjobs in all three to threaten the safety of gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yep. The hostages are only one part. He needs to insure that there's no danger of further attacks. And for him, and apparently the majority of the Israeli population, that means the complete destruction of hamas. I think it's also coupled with a belief that if they hammer the people of gaza hard enough, it will break their will and prevent hamas regaining strength. That's a crazy idea to me. There's so many dead and probably tens of thousands maimed. Even if the population of gaza hated Hamas, this onslaught will just radacalise so many more.

We've seen what it looks like here in Ireland. Events like bloody sunday managed to kill a peaceful civil right movement and drove support to the IRA. Even if Israel kills every single member of hamas, a new armed resistance movement will arise because of the pain and suffering that's being inflicted on the people of Gaza.

Yes, religion and tolerance don't mix. How could they?

Tel Aviv has a thriving gay scene with lots of gay bars and a big pride parade. A close friend of mine has been there a number of times and he's very camp. In his own words, he's "riddled with gay". Interestingly it seems to be where gay Palestinian Arabs are drawn to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

“the emphasis is on damage and not on accuracy”.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes,each war has led to a rise in popularity for Hamas. Maybe the belief in Israel is this time it will be different, but Bibi's plan to have security control over Gaza indefinitely would indicate they know well it will be otherwise. Yitzshak Rabin, the former military man, realised that in order to achieve real long term security you can't pulverise your way to it. As we know Bibi doesn't really want a political solution to this conflict, so the last thing he wants is moderates to take over in Gaza if Hamas are no longer in control of Gaza

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

Borrell calls on all states to back Guterres call for an immediate ceasefire.

Israeli ambassador calls for Guterres to resign ( again )

UAE already has tabled the motion.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bomber Command under Arthur 'Bomber' Harris had a deliberate strategy of terrorising the German population by bombing civilian parts of the cities. We're not seeing anything different here (the one major difference perhaps is that the international community is fully aware this deliberate bombing of innocent civilians is completely forbidden under international law).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Obviously Shatter is entitled to criticise the government, but I think it is inappropriate for a former Justice Minister to be attacking the Irish government in the media of a foreign country - and particularly one that is clearly trying to forment negativity towards this country at the moment

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/12/06/former-minister-alan-shatter-criticises-irish-government-and-media-in-jerusalem-post-article/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's worth noting and summarizing what happened here over the last 36 hours or so.

Various posters managed collectively to paint the picture that the worst events that have happened in the middle east in the last couple of months was the rape of women on the Oct 7th. It's not the rape that is the issue, if it was solely that alone, they'd acknowledge Israeli capabilities to commit similar crimes. Its the fact that it was done to Israeli women and any crime that is inflicted on Israeli's is orders of magnitude more serious than anything that might be done to any Palestinian.

I don't know if they are that concerned to the wellbeing of Israeli's as a matter of course, for some that probably is the case. But for most, my view is that it is because their opponents in this conflict are Muslim Arabs and so are lower in importance than Jewish whites and so the evil party is identified.

I know what I am saying, I don't say it lightly, but to not say it would be to not advocate for the community that is literally being butchered as we talk about it abstractedly (at least some do) on here. Also it would be allowing a particular narrative misaligned with reality to dominate. That is still largely happening given the views of western governments towards the conflict, but still, what else can I do only challenge it.

I've been reading similar to what I've read in the last 36 hours for weeks now as people both ignore the suffering of Palestinians, and call anyone repulsed by Israeli genocidal intent a Hamas Terrorist Sympathiser for having the audacity to call Israel out on its actions. As well as the rapid fire use of antisemitism and holocaust denier accusations which are utilized to incredible effectiveness to stifle being held to account.

And as this 'discussion' carries on, Israel is continuing to displace, target, bomb and kill Palestinians. It is intending to flood whatever tunnels are there with sea water which will have significant ecological impacts. It's leaders is pushing plans to 'thin' what remains of the Gazan population and influential commentators within the country are calling for them to annex it completely.

He's around in Irish politics for a very long time and I don't think people had any particular opinions on him, but he has exposed himself as a full blown Zionist in recent weeks - giving really hawkish and hardline statements in support of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think he is entitled to his opinion and I don't think the Israeli will any time soon have a good opinion of us. The Israeli press seems to be one hundred percent behind the slaughter of innocents in Gaza so I'm not really bothered what they print about us.

Israeli media and public disliking us is arguably a good thing. Even if one ignores the claims of genocide, they clearly seem to have moved into the 'terrorist state' category.

• Advertisement

What's far worse than defending the Israeli's ripping the limbs off babies and crushing the skulls of babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He probably puts value on the lives of his own community , and society.

That, while normal in most of the world, and once here in Europe is not the case for many now.

I think that is a key difference, people don't understand why Jews there value their own society, families and future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah here, we are reaching nonsensical levels when people are trying to make out that tolerance of LGBTQ+ is somehow similar between Gaza and Israel. The Hamas regime in Gaza treats gay people far far worse than anything ever in Ireland. Iran, Saudi and Yemen are the closest regimes to Hamas, and all have the death penalty for homosexual acts.

Next you'll be telling me that Gazan courts requiring women to get the permission of a man before travelling were only a bit of fun.

It's all nonsense and diversionary tactics. If you heavily criticise Israel for its actions, it must mean you are a Hamas supporter and in favour of October 7th.

What if Hamas and the Israeli government are both evil and rotten to the core?

I think the world would be a better place if we put the same value on all communities, on all innocents lives. Israel is not doing that.

You can take a swipe at European values, but why you would do it in this instance, in defending Israel who have killed 6k kids in the last month I dont know.

I think we can understand well why the Israelis are doing what they are doing.

"It would be like if people in Ireland started executing all Algerian's because of the recent stabbing."

No it wouldn't. That's a nonsensical comparison.

"The response from Israel is maniacal."

I agree.

"They've killed/ murdered (I would lean to the later description) over 6,000 children. It's very difficult to read or understand the opinions being published by many posters here. I cannot imagine laughing at or dismissing the trauma of a family Israeli or Palestinian that has had a child killed in this war and yet many posters seem to think such things are acceptable as regards Palestinian's. I can only presume they have never been friends with a Palestinian"

I haven't read any posts here where people have laughed at or dismissed the trauma of a family of a dead child. Can you point me to one please?

What I have read is a discussion about which side is most culpable for this conflict, what constitutes a proportionate response and the legitimacy or otherwise of the State of Israel.

In my view there is no evidence that Israel is committing or attempting to commit genocide. I think there is increasing evidence that they are seeking to ethnically cleans Gaza. I'm not sure where the line is for what constitutes a proportionate or disproportionate response but I'm sure that Israel is well past it.

I am sure that the only thing stopping Hamas from committing genocide is their lack of the means to do so but Israel are by far the more powerful side and so have a far greater ability to inflict damage and death therefore they are the ones whom it is incumbent open to act with restraint.

I agree that the action of the current Israeli government pose a far greater threat to their future existence than the actions of Hamas. I think that the anti Muslim sentiment on the right in the US, and the embodiment of the racist xenophobic Christian Right in the US has caused a significant shift to the right in Israeli politics. Christian and Jewish fundamentalism has found common cause in their hatred of Islamic fundamentalism.

So it seems. We had one poster who wants me to prove the doctors were lying, that they actually knew about the tunnels!!!!!

Think about it. First there were no tunnels, then there were tunnels built by the Israelis but not under the hospitals, then there were tunnels built by Israelis under the hospitals that Hamas were not using for operations, then there were tunnels built by Israelis under the hospitals that might have been used for operations but there is no evidence to prove it, now we have the position that there were tunnels built by Israelis under the hospitals that might have been used for operations but there is no evidence to prove it and the doctors who have been telling us from the start that there were no tunnels may have been unaware that there were tunnels even though they were built by the Israelis decades ago and have signs of recent usage!!!!!!!!!

There are serious questions about what the Israelis are doing, but the non-stop barrage of ever-changing Hamas propaganda on here promulgated 24/7 by a small selection of posters is not allowing those serious questions to be discussed rationally.

In my opinion the values of liberal secular democracies, EU values, which are aligned with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (it's 30 short articles and worth a read) are superior to values derived from ancient tribal writings. Therefore I thing our values are superior to those in Gaza and Israel and, for that matter, the USA. That doesn't mean we get to force our values on others.

We are not forcing our values on Israel or Gaza. What are you even talking about? We are criticising their conduct on war on innocent civilians that is all. As we do with Hamas, Russia, America, China, Saudi Arabia. Is that not permissible in your opinion?

• Advertisement

The gay Palestinian Arabs go to Tel Aviv because they risk execution in Gaza, but hey, according to some, cancelling a few marches in Israel is equivalent to execution.

Advertisement