Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The L25 stop for DTC by the Ironworks apartments is unfortunate in that you have to cross that rather dangerous car exit/entrance to access the closest shopping centre entrance.

Cars fly up that ramp and its difficult to see them/them to see you.

Matter of time before someone gets hit there sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I live near the S8 and used it quite a few times in the last week - it's a great local link service (I use the Luas for main commute). BUT - and I know this is somewhat controversial - these new bus routes (incl L25 and S6) are going onto roads where the changes made to filter lanes are causing huge traffic delays. In most cases these changes are to facilitate cycle lanes but the increased traffic congestion (and it can be significant) is catching the buses as well. I think there's some hard choices to be made here as the cycle lanes are underutilised but there seem to be many more people at the bus stops since S8 launched.

Interesting.

Which areas or stops are you seeing more passengers than with previous routes?

Are the filter lanes that are causing the traffic delays results of giving space over to cyclists?

Roads like Newtownpark Ave (S8) and Carysfort Ave (114) have much longer tailbacks than they used to because cars can't turn left/right without holding up more traffic. it's the same in Deansgrange where cars can't move out of the way at the supervalu or the NCT centre and also cause tailbacks for 46A etc. (Roadworks in Deansgrange have obviously made it worse again)

And the buses themselves, then get caught in said tailbacks.

So the issue isnt cycle lanes, it is the fact that cars cant turn as easily and then buses get stuck behind them?

Are these tsilbacks at peak time only?

• Advertisement

Well the cars can't turn as easily because there are now restrictions there to facilitate the cycle lanes (which weren't there 12 or 18 months ago). So you can blame the cars or the cycle lanes but the point is that the newer bus routes are more reliant on these roads as they are running perpendicular to the main routes (which usually have bus lanes). It's definitely very bad at peak times but it's not unusual to see this later in the evenings as well (around 7/8pm) or at weekends.

Also, while it doesn't affect me personally, if the intention of these newer services is that you would combine one route with another to get to your destination (as some earlier posters were saying), then I think it's important that they are moving as fast as they possibly can (acknowledging that some of these roads won't fit in a dedicated bus lane)

Thanks.

I dont think the project or council cares too much about delaying cars, but if it impacts the buses it is a problem for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭cobham

Thank you to the person who posted the link to the overall map for new routes.

big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

I note that this is dated 2020. Is it the best map ? I wish there was a map showing where the busstops are for the routes. I see our nearest bus (no 11) is gone and replaced by the 86 but for the moment there are still 11's running into city from the Beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yeah they should make a sensible choice. Cycle lanes are great but I don't think they're always necessary in suburban areas.

They're absolutely necessary in places like the quays cos it's so dangerous.

Google Maps shows the stops and the route very clearly, if you select the bus route number, after selecting a stop in the App.

Not sure if its fully up to date, but its pretty accurate.

• Advertisement

They arent going to roll back on cycle lanes. But they may restrict cars if the problem impacts buses heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

If the data says they should, then they should.

No point being ideological for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The phasing thread shows the order that the rest of the rollout will likely take. Dates are impossible to estimate as it’s entirely dependent on driver resources.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058321409/busconnects-dublin-likely-phasing-of-new-routes#latest

The 11 on the southside will be in place until 2025 - it changes in the final phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

How is the S6 getting on with the traffic lights in Goatstown at peak times? While its physically a shorter route from Dundrum to UCD than the 17's route via Bird Ave and Roebuck Rd, the tailbacks at that junction can be epic and there is no bus lane (unless they threw one in at the last minute).

They are hardly going to give cycle space back to cars. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The data is pretty unequivocal at this stage. Whether you look at Dublin, or any of the cities around the world that's grappled with the transport problem, cars are quite literally the worse mode of transport possible for moving large amounts of people. It doesn't scale, the more people that try to drive, the less that people can get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

I took the S6 from UCD heading to the Square last week at rush hour in the evening. The tailbacks at the Goatstown junction are bad. If there were a bus lane either side of the Goatstown junction as well as a bus lane either side of the Dundrum junction allowing buses to get past the big traffic queue, I'd say the journey time would have been around nine minutes less. I timed it out of curiosity.

I know there is some DLR Council plan for a double cycle lane that goes through the Goatstown junction, which will involve changing around the Goatstown junction. But I think bus lanes for 150-180 metres either side of the junction should be considered. The would have a big impact. Goatstown is one of the busiest junctions on the southside, always busy no matter what time of the day. Same with the Dundrum junction under the Luas bridge.

Regarding a map - if you look at the links below, click on a route, and then click on map, then you can see all the stops on the bus route.

Dublin Bus:

https://bustimes.org/operators/dublin-bus

GoAhead:

https://bustimes.org/operators/go-ahead-ireland

For quite a few trips connecting with the S4 rather than the S6 may, at peak times, be a better option for that very reason.

This was my original point - I think it's far more important to make the BusConnects work and work properly. If there was obvious and widespread use of the cycle lanes then there might be a reason to reconsider but there really isn't and there's no point celebrating making life more difficult for car users if the buses are queued up behind them. We will only get people out of their cars if regular and reliable alternatives are provided and those alternatives are then made better than driving. This is the case on the N11 where the bus lanes allow buses to move ahead of traffic congestion and at peak times all of these services are fully utilised.

On the roads being used by newer routes such as the S8 and S6 by all means let's get bus lanes in but if they can't then I think it's imperative to keep the buses moving even if that by default keeps the cars moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

As with the bus network, until the cycle network is fully up and running, we won't see it's full potential. And that potential is huge. You only have to look at the Grand Canal Greenway to see that potential.

However, I hear your point - buses ultimately carry more people so those buses shouldn't suffer, which they are. At the weekend, traffic on Collins Ave was backed up all the way to Donnycarney and the N4 was stuck with all the cars crawling along. I don't know the solution, but signalling at junctions likely needs to be revised in combination with small sections of segregated priority bus lanes, to at least give the buses an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Yeah I agree. I have to say, as a cyclist myself, obviously in an ideal world it would be great if we had segregated cycle lanes. Of course, we can't always find the space for to have both bus and cycle lanes, which is understandable. But I find bus lanes to be nearly as good as cycle lanes. The bus only comes every few minutes, it is relatively straightforward to overtake and once you're ahead of it you're grand, as the bus will inevitably have to stop again which puts you ahead of it even more.

For instance, on the Rathfarnham CBC, in the ABP application they have now decided to have just cycle lanes between Bushy Park Road junction and the Dodder Park Road junction. No bus lanes. On the preferred route proposal, there were just bus lanes with no cycle lanes. Now I'm not complaining as the cycle lanes will obviously benefit cyclists. But on this stretch, once the A Spine is operational, there will only be buses every six minutes. Frequent yes, but not like every two minutes or anything. I think a better solution would have been to keep the bus lanes. It means cyclists can get through when buses aren't there, and more importantly, buses are well able to get through ahead of traffic. Under the ABP proposal, the bus will now be stuck in traffic. This stretch of road is one of the worst bottlenecks on the Rathfarnham corridor. I've spent a crazy amount if time stuck on the 16 or 15b in this section over the years.

There actually are bus lanes on that section in the application to ABP - southbound on the approach to Dodder Park Road from south of Westbourne Road and northbound approaching Rathdown Park also from Westbourne Road.

There will be more buses than one every 6 minutes too.

The A2 & A4 will be every 6 mins combined but you’ll also have the 74 every 30 mins and the 85 every 10-15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

Was part of a conversation in work today. Colleagues are of the opinion that the luas is less frequent in the IFSC area since the bus connects changes in the area.

I don't normally use the luas so doesn't ordinarily affect me but was looking to get a luas towards city centre last Friday and the next tram from Spencer Dock was in 18 minutes. Apparently its a fairly regular occurrence when colleagues leave the office that they'd be waiting that long for a tram despite the advertised frequency.

I presume they are putting two and two together and getting five?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I think the Luas frequently had its own service issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A quick look at the Luas twitter page will show almost daily delays on the red line with Luas stating a number of trams are out of service due to essential maintenance.

It's more a case of Luas having their own issues rather than bus connects meaning a luas frequency reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's not like they're pulling Luas drivers away to drive buses. Having one of their trams burnt out by rioting morons probably hasn't helped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The tram burnt out was a green line tram not a red line one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

That's like saying that the burned out bus was a C4, so the other routes won't be affected 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no, he's right. It's a separate fleet of trams on the two lines as the green line trams are now too long for the red line. They only very rarely move them from one line to another (though I suppose they may have moved a red line tram onto the green line to fill in the gap from the vandalised unit).

Advertisement