Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Saturday was obviously very disappointing but you have to credit Leinster. They used halftime to make modifications to the line out which allowed them to turn the tables, and they showed great mental strength to put together the try that thieved it. Fair play.

Failure to convert in the fifteen minutes from 35-50 cost us dearly. I know our penalty count has been lower overall this season, but penalty reversals in successive weeks is just wasteful, and Caolin needs to mind his mouth or he'll be responsible for the next one. Our hookers and line out callers should be able to solve problems as they arise. If it's unraveling then do something creative: with a minute to play, we could have run the ball rather than kicking to touch, ground out a few phases until the clock went red, and killed it.

There were positives: our midfield is a serious threat, Kilgallen and Ralston continue to prosper, and Mack was divine. The front row continues to get the best of almost all their opponents, and Boyle was excellent, a most welcome return.

Leinster's scalp would have been nice, but a LBP is not the end of the world. Bordeaux lost to Oyonnax at the weekend, they're no great shakes, we need to put them in a box. We have a good team and haven't really clicked yet, and there will be setbacks, but let's not lose ourselves in histrionics when they happen.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bordeaux won away to Oyonnax although I'd agree they're nothing special especially away from home.

We'll know a lot by what team selection they send. They've an incredible backline on paper. Probably the best in Europe. But I can see them just rolling the dice on the Connacht game. They'll progress from the pool if they just win their home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Havent really read the new format for this year’s champions cup, will two home wins be enough? Would one win and a Few bonus points be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Two wins should be enough. 4 out of 6 teams in the pool qualify and the 5th drops into the challenge cup

My bad on the Bordeaux result, I turned it off with Oyonnax ahead with just a couple of minutes to go!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

He was no slouch before obviously, but Mack has looked especially electric ever since the RWC warm ups, he must have put some serious work in during the pre-season camp. Hopefully Bordeaux pick Penaud and we see two of the best wingers in the world in the Sportsground for a big Heineken Cup game under lights, we've come a long way from slogging it out with Narbonne in the Challenge Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's confirmed that the redevelopment of the sportsground will receive €20M in government funding

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/1206/1420446-rugby-and-gaa-facilities-secure-majority-of-new-funding/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Our lineout in the first half wasn't 100% and i dont think many of our lineouts were in their half so the pressure on the throw wasnt as great. One of the key moments of the game was the lineout we ballsed up before half time.

In the 2nd half I havent watched it back and don't ever intend to but I think from memory there were 3 if not more lineouts inside Leinsters 10 metre line within a few minutes of each other. The turnovers from these were very costly with the points and the yellow card added to the earlier yellow meaning we were down a player for 20 minutes for 20 mins and all momentum was lost. We actually did quite well to regain the momentum again but having spells like that against top teams leave you no room for error.

For me the common denominator with Connachts lineout failing over recent years has generally been Dave Heffernan at hooker. Its not the only issue but if the stats gurus go back through the lineout success rate with him at 2 I don't imagine it'd make for good reading for him. Like Carty when things go wrong for him it tends to spiral quickly. Again to me not having Joyce in the 23 with 6 forwards picked on the bench boggles the mind.

I feel sorry for the lads who worked so hard and were let down by some poor penalty kicks and clearance kicks. We soaked up a lot of pressure at spells but then to only gain 10 metres on penalty kicks or clearance kicks is a killer for both the players and crowd.

How Cathal Fordes boot wasn't used for kicking penalties up the line (on his side at least) I'm not sure because it wasn't happening for Hanrahan. I never regarded him as having a big boot but it was way below what you'd expect the last night.

• Advertisement

One thing I haven't seen referenced is how lucky Connacht were with the Culhane no-try decision. He was deemed to be held up in goal, so the result was a goal line drop out but it was ignored by the ref and TMO on the multiple replays how Niall Murray stopped Culhane with a clear and obvious high tackle around the neck.

A penalty try there probably would have killed the game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You'll be surprised to hear this statistic then.....of all the hookers from the three main European leagues in 2023, Dave Heffernan has the 4th highest success rate in the line out at 92.4% (50 minimum throws to qualify).

He's the only URC hooker in the top 5.

Note that this statistic was posted in late November so it may have dropped slightly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Many TMOs seem to tunnel vision on one factor, e.g. grounding or foot in touch, when reviewing potential tries, sometimes missing pretty obvious no arm tackles, offside, etc.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yeah, agreed. Think the same thing happened in the Ulster game on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Fair enough maybe it's just my own historical bias but to me he never fills me with confidence as a lineout thrower. Like with everything there's variables with teams not competing etc but still those stats are better than I'd expect.

I would have similar feeling about heffs lineouts tbh. Himself and carty Have been great servants for the provinces, obvious by the number of caps for the province and international honours but I think it’s time to move on from them. Both would be decent squad players filling in as third choice.

I haven’t rewatched the match but from memory it stood out that ever single lineout on the first 35 min went to Darragh Murray at the front. This screams of no confidence on the lineout. Important to note that Niall Murray and Joyce weren’t starting and they would be the normal lineout callers. I know Niall came on early but not sure if he took the line out calling role when he did come on.

I would hope that one of Niall Murray, Joyce or Thornbury (if he’s fit enough) are in the starting 15 for the rest of the season.

I don’t think that statistic takes into account that it always seems to be the high pressure lineouts that are lost. I would be that a high percentage of Heffs missed lineouts are in either 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

According to INDO's article, Dvinewill be in contention to featture at friday's game. Maybe McDonald will be selected, but if Devine's condition becomes better, his come back will be in near future. It's exciting for me.

And one morething. At the last saturday's game,(the first half maybe 19min) Baird of Leinster was conceded the penalty by horizontal dropping. But Basby didn't call TMO. In last season (I think) Boyle saw YC by almost same situation. Iit seemed quitely inevital accident for me. (the ref was not Irish) Possibly Basby thought sorry to give no card against Baird for Connacht, and took the balance later

. (maybe not).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Hi kita99, as regards Devine, I heard elsewhere that he was the 24th man last week. He's definitely going to get some minutes during Reilly's absence, but I would like a look at McDonald as well. Sarries away would be the kind of tough fixture that we're not really targeting (not saying it's impossible to beat them by the way, just that one has to prioritise). Put him on the bench for that, use Devine this weekend.

For me the loss to Leinster is now boxed away. A lot of people get fixated on the officiating, I don't see the point, these are facts that you can't control and perfect enforcement is impossible anyway. Baird, incidentally, was very good, incredible athlete.

Leinster have some things to be pleased about. In addition to Baird, Harry Byrne fired some lovely long passes, and Rob Russell was really good, showed incredible presence of mind and composure under pressure from Murray (IIRC) near his own line.

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS BORDEAUX-BEGLES

20:00, Friday 8th December 2023 @ The Sportsground

15. Mack Hansen (29)

14. Byron Ralston (22)

13. Cathal Forde (19)

12. Bundee Aki (127)

11. Andrew Smith (4)

10. JJ Hanrahan (6)

9. Caolin Blade (177)

1. Denis Buckley (234)

2. Dave Heffernan (184)

3. Finlay Bealham (192)

4. Darragh Murray (14)

5. Joe Joyce (6)

6. Cian Prendergast (53)

7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (26)

8. Seán Jansen (2)

16. Tadgh McElroy (6)

17. Peter Dooley (24)

18. Jack Aungier (55)

19. Niall Murray (62)

20. Conor Oliver (69)

21. Michael McDonald *

22. David Hawkshaw (19)

23. John Porch (82)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

In the first half there was an incident of crossing from leinster on the Connacht line. One of the players collided with Dowlings face with their head. He subsequently went off. It wasn't even looked at. It wasn't deliberate but it was head on head.

Look forward to seeing Forde at 13, happy that Mack is in at FB, surprised at Kilgallen's absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

That's a good team. I hope it goes well at 13 for Forde. If he's an option there it really increases his value in the long run. particularly in terms of trying to make it into Irish teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I'd like to see more of Mack at 15. If he's even just acceptable in terms of positioning etc, having him with more opportunities to run it back would be great.

Bordeaux going full bore: Penaud, Jalibert, Moefana, Falatea... will be a good show, although I was expecting (hoping) for them to send the espoirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Mack had a fair disaster in his last game at FB for us IIRC against Newcastle. Hopefully goes well tomorrow.

Played most of the game last week at full back after TOH went off

Yeah I thought Mack was superb at full back last week. He looks incredibly sharp at the moment, and he's the sort of guy you want to get the ball in his hands as often as possible.

Interesting Connacht selection, intrigued by Forde at 13. Had heard criticisms of his pace previously, but keen to see what he looks like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Is Tom Farrell injured? He is the best outside centre we have ( in my opinion). And what's the story with John Porch. Has he slipped down the ranking?

And then you have to feel for Hawkshaw and Tom Daly. It's not an easy occupation.

• Advertisement

Yes, surprised about Farrell, there was no mention of him in the squad injury update.

I'm not seeing where Tom Daly fits in these days, there's too much competition. I agree, it must be tough for him. Hawkshaw, OTOH, is on the bench tomorrow in what will be his sixth game of the season, he's doing fine.

Advertisement