Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Matip has ruptured his ACL according to Klopp. Probably played his last game for Liverpool. Sad way to go out that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

City, 3 points from their last 12.

Relegation form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Devastating for Matip. The final year of his contract too. Might not see him in a Liverpool shirt again 😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any word on Macallister's injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Will he find it hard to get another club to give him a contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was laughing and joking with klopp walking on the pitch at FT so say its nothing major, battered and bruised id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

He’ll be nearly 33 when he comes back so will be difficult for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

We were awful but we won, both Salah & Diaz along with Gomez though at least he has the excuse of playing out of position on the wrong side. Great to see Klopp take Salah & Diaz off; Nunez changed the dynamic completely, great runs in behind and pressure on the ball through the centre.

Fantastic to get the win and hopefully we will be a lot better on Saturday.

Thought VVD was brilliant and also Endo giving he was on a booking, after that he did nothing stupid.

Hopefully some club in Germany take a risk with him where it would be less intense for him to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Wouldn't be surprised to see us give him a 1 year deal to get him fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Surely a German club will give Matip a contract for a year or two? His old club Shalke are in trouble though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Devastating news for Matip.

At least for him the worst case scenario he retires at 33 with tens of millions.

Been a huge servant to the club, arguably a more important free agent signing than even Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd be happy enough for Liverpool to offer him a one year extension on reduced terms but I fully expect him to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I said on Monday I'd take a scrappy 1-0 then from this game, so many potential banana skins, but in spite of a stodgy performance this is a good win. Defended well, Endo and both CBs did well, as indeed did Kellegher when called on. 3 points gained on City, and as I said earlier with a gap of 6 from Arsenal to City, we can say they they bottled it when they eventually get caught.

Terrible news on Joel, he's had a brilliant spell at Anfield.

• Advertisement

MacAllister with a cut to his leg that required stitches. Nothing serious but not sure if he will be available for Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I'm sure most fans will defend him to the hilt but that was really poor form from Klopp in the post match interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I'm actually a fan of Joe but that us one hell of a high bar to clear!! Think again now after the dust has settled and tell me if you feel tonight was his worst performance on the ball for us? I missed the match so honestly don't know and am just curious cos like I said that is an extremely high bar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Same reply as above regarding Joe...is he really or did he just have a really good game tonight? Cos I would "fcuking love it" if he was...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Two clean sheets in 3 games for Kelleher. Hopefully another one on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Nunez did more in 10 minutes than the starting front three did combined in the match and we are a far better more threatening team going forward with him in the team!

Absolutely love him and what a ball he gave for the second goal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I see Marcus Buckland from Amazon is making friends.

What I find interesting about this where it is 100% true is that the presenter can say anything and not get into any trouble, but if Klopp talks negatively he will get another fine and possible touchline ban. It is obvious this presenter is not used to football as he set a trap for Klopp but got called out on it.

An a related note, Oh Joy another 12h30 kick-off away. Guess TNT had to get us when they could as they missed out due to us playing on Thursday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

It really is crazy how many 12.30 games Liverpool get as opposed to other teams.

Nobody else has this problem so it’s really unlikely to change, but it seems like there should be a limit on how many 12.30 games a team can get in a season, and it seems completely obvious that no 12.30 games should follow an international break.

Cant see why these games can’t be moved to Sat evening, or if there is a concern from the police, 12.30 on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Every team should play a 12.30 game before the first selected team is picked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

From "Inside Anfield" YouTube video, hilarious from Tsimikas celebrating the Trent winner on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I a fan of Jo myself, but he was atrocious on the ball last night. He started poorly, got caught in possession on the halfway line that gave up a good chance to SU, and I think it effected him. He was like he was wearing boots on the wrong feet or something, looked nervous, misplaced passing, poor ball control. It's not his strongest part of his game anyway, but he's normally adequate enough - he wasn't last night.

Anyway, 3 points.

Not great from Jurgen - don't know why he made such an issue of the presenter's comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I thought both Gomez and Konate were poor last night. Konate for not being tuned in and Gomez for his poor passing. He's not suited to play on the left and would much prefer him on the RHS of the pitch. We lack width when he is out left too and it forces us to go through the middle.

Diaz and Salah also had shockers but will take it as it was always going to be a tough game. Bonus that City dropped points again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought Konate at least ate everything in the air.

I have to go on about Joe but he just causes problems out of nowhere.

I can't feel anything other than massive disappointment for Matip this morning.

He reminds me of Sturridge in that no matter how often he was injured he never had any problem coming back in with exceptional performances. His anticipation is unreal, great in the air and ok the ball is just savage.

He has been integral, like Hendo, like Milner et, to everything good we have done the last 5/6 years.

I'd give him another year at reduced terms in heart beat but we do need another permanent buy and can't see us offloading joe, VVD or Konate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

because the presenter threw in a couple of sly digs at the start

Yeah, he had three bites off him.

I thought he'd made his point the first time and could have left him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

What I don't understand, we played at 12.30 a couple of weeks back just after an international week.

Then there's no 12.30 game last week.

Then there's another this weekend after mid week games, and it's us again. Who the hell decides this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Previous time (City game) was a 5.30pm SKY package game moved by the police to 12.30. That's something no-one in football can control, police have complete veto/final say on ko times. We are vulnerable to having this happen a few times a year (against the likes of City/Everton etc).

This weekend is a BT/TNT game. Their slot is 12.30pm and they will pick us their allocated maximum of 6 times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't think we are playing particularly well, getting by on individual talent. Midfield still doesn't work, its not fluid, too many bodies in there maybe. Its understandable its a new midfield. Trent sat back a bit in the end and Szobo excelled, he was getting forward making things happen, I really don't want to see his talents stunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Steviemak7

Man Utd and Arsenal both got their 12:30 games moved to Saturday evening in the last few weeks. But the suggestion that Liverpool should be allowed to move their 12:30 games to Saturday evening is considered inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think midfield was an issue last night, you could argue that Endo and Szobo we're our 2 best players after Virgil. Our issue lately, and it was at it worst last night, is our forward line has fallen flat, particularly Diaz and Salah, but Gakpo has been poor of late too. All constantly losing the ball, badly under hitting or just completely misplacing passes, some of the poor first touches from them have been dreadful altogether.

Nunez gets a lot of flack, some of it deserved. But he's the only real threat we offer at the minute, teams are content defending against us when Gakpo starts up front as they can double up on Salah and Diaz is not offering much on the other side currently. Gakpo is tidy and can nick a goal when presented to him, but he has zero aggression and sometimes that's what you want from your No.9.

When Nunez plays he makes live so difficult with his strength and movement, so he takes completely focus of both centre backs and it makes it much harder to defend against a front 3. Salah has 12 goals this season and only 1 of them have come with Nunez not on the field. That stat says a lot.

The only positive about the 12.30pm kick off is that winning puts us top of the table and puts a bit more pressure on the teams around us.

We could have a 7 point lead on City before they kick off on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Because they only agreed to move those to 8 that played in Europe on the Wednesday night not league or cup games, after this weekend Liverpool will have 3 TNT games left for the season for 12:30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

In fairness to the presenter he was siding with Jurgen berry petty from Jurgen attack the premier league and take the fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Big fan of Nunez, I do believe the goals will come for him and he'll be unstoppable. Its easy to see why the fans like him so much, he's like Suarez, pure aggression and would die on the pitch for every ball. How many forwards do you see make a tackle like he did last night to set up Szobo?

Nunez has 5 assists in the PL this season, Salah has 6.

Gakpo, Diaz, and Jota all have 0.

EDIT: If we go for all competitions it's

Salah 7

Nunez 7

Gakpo 2

Diaz 1

Jota 0

Post edited by Osmosis Jones on

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I think I am getting to the stage that nothing will convince me that Trent's new hybrid position is what is right for the team. That is nothing against him, it is certainly allowing him to showcase his passing ability a bit more.

But it hasnt made us more defensively secure and our attack seems a bit stunted with not enough width.

The frustrating thing is that the league is there for the taking and we definitely have the quality if we get a bit of luck with injuries but the team just doesnt seem to be gelling at the minute. I cant see us not pulling a "Luton" every few games which will kill us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'm of the same opinion in terms of playing away from home where teams sit deep. The lack of width kills us, especially when we don't play a natural left sided player. It results in us playing too narrow and too much through the centre.

Our first goal last night came from Trent being out on the wing.

The inverted Trent stuff just doesn't really work without Robbo on the left imo

Why is every discussion painted in such a reductionist, binary fashion?

Yeah, eyes of Darwin for moment, and even Salah cos he can create our of nothing:

Diaz and Gakpo need to contribute more in league games, if Jota was fit hes the first choice pick with Salah and Nunez. It's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was an element of 'being dragged down to their level' last night with Sheffield United, and the game was a real slog of a game. Stodgy. Those dirty wet away games in December. But what if Liverpool did it in purpose? It wasn't too far away from the performance away to Luton but I think they actually played better against Luton and created more clear cut opportunities, just that the finishing was off. 

Does Klopp send them out to be real possession heavy, at one point last night it was 80-20 in the second half after being 80-20 in the first half. Gakpo was basically in midfield packing the midfield and Trent there too. Lots of options to keep the ball and work/tire out SHU instead of ourselves. A lot of corners, and maybe this was targeted as SHU have had some big problems from set pieces this season. With the possession heavy game, it helps conserve legs somewhat and this week is a week where legs are needed. It was very noticable that Trent sat back for the second half, after the lead was taken, and tried to rest where possible rather than playing both DM + RB. 

It was only when Nunez came on that the chaos came, and started making runs in behind, into the channels etc and that started to open up the game. Maybe game state dictated this with SHU opening up a bit, but this was also when Szobozlai's running came to the fore too and he could have a bigger impact. 

Maybe Klopp designed that, so that the team is somewhat fresh for Saturday morning. Trent kind of rested, Tsimikas fully rested, Salah got a rest, Nunez got a rest. Gravenberch & Jones rested. 

• Advertisement
Advertisement