Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes but ANY doctor is not ALL doctors. If a mechanic does a poor job on my car I don't castigate ALL mechanics. That would be very unfair and deceitful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The mechanic wasn't being asked about a car. The doctor wasn't being asked about a medical issue. It is an utterly irrelevent comparison and another sure sign you are discrediting your own position with each post.

You literally said:

I have no problem questioning any person

You are only arguing with yourself at this stage, so I'll leave you to it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Reading comprehension.

ANY is not ALL. Simple so quit wiggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I understand why people don't like hamas. They're scum. And if we could just click out fingers and make them go away it'd be great.

But Israel have killed 5000 children. All the responses are "But what about this thing that Hamas did"

Honestly, part of me doesn't care. Nothing justifies that level of death. It's avoidable. Yes, Hamas are scum. I have to keep saying it because otherwise everytime I mention an Israeli bombing I'm accused of supporting the terrorists. But it doesn't justify killing that many innocent children.

There are thousands more innocent civilians who are not children, what about them. And yes, Hamas are scum, but surely it doesn't excuse killing all those innocent civilians.

That's besides all the people injured and maimed. That probably runs into tens of thousands. BTW, did I mention that Hamas are scum. Really, I know you're probably thinking I'm making a joke. But what hamas did in israel is horrific. Every days we learn new details about the depravity. And nothing justifies those actions. But the actions of those hamas fighters doesn't justify the attacks on Palestinian civilians.

And that's before we get into the widespread destruction of property and mass displacements. That's all horrific but pales in comparison to the death and injuries the palestinians have experiences.

So yeah, I think both sides are horrific for the amount of suffering they've inflicted on innocent people. But if you say that, suddenly you are accused of supporting terrorists. And I don't get that. If it was israeli children who were being killed now, would people act the same? If for every Hamas fighter that was killed, 20 israeli children were killed, would that price be be worth it to Israels supporters? But why is it ok when it's Palestinian children?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Are you including the occupied territories when you say that? Because if you just chose that but leave out areas where israel has full control, then you're just being picky.

• Advertisement

Its nearer 6,000 children with over 800 missing, presumed to be under the rubble. Over 4,000 women also.

Accusing posters of supporting Hamas has been going on from the start and is just an effort to silence people from stating the above numbers. Those numbers are why I keep equating Israel to Hamas. Its just murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Maybe not if you're Eylon Levy or somebody but to any reasonable person yes she has and it has widely noted and heavily criticised, correctly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

No, I clearly spoke about one doctor and then made a general point about the assumption of higher ethical standards of a particular group of people based on the job they chose to do. You have either failed to understand the point, which seems unlikely, or you are wilfully misrepresenting what I said.

I hope it's the former. I suggest you re-read my post again.

Yea, there's around 32,000 people employed by the European Commission. 2.5% of them signed the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,563 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The nonsense is discussing what is happening in the area in this context instead of stopping the genocide.

Anything other than that is nothing more than diverting from the real issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

She is like our president she has the right to her own opinion. I don't think she reflected European opinion, well maybe initially she did but not now.

I think that is a key difference, people don't understand why Jews there value their own society, families and future

I haven't seen anyone deny the horrific experience that the Jewish people had 80 years ago.

But aside from the fact that they are not the only community who has had such an experience, given that they have had it (and mention it from time to time) then it makes what they are doing to the Palestinians even more horrific. It's hard to fathom how, sometimes it feels like even in the same sentence, they can plead for understanding of their suffering and justify them applying it to others.

Never again was supposed to mean just that, 'not never again to us'.

She, like our President, has a duty not to undermine the policy position of the EU. Our President has a duty to not undermine the Government of the day and to remain apolitical so that he remains the Head of State for all Irish Citizens. But the smug little blowhard thinks his opinion is more important than the Constitutional position of his office. For a man devoid of humility I'm not in the least bit surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is more than a one-eyed view of this thread.

For a start, there have been quite a number of posters who have implied that Israel had it coming because of the way they claimed Palestinians had been treated, for more, we have one poster who repeatedly puts up a plan for peace which doesn't have at the top the release of the hostages taken by Hamas, effectively condoning it, there are others who suggest the hostages should be kept as bargaining chips, effectively condoning war crimes, and so on, right throughout this thread.

As for justifying what Israel have done, I haven't seen anybody claim that Israel are morally entitled to do what they are doing, however, plenty have spoken to the tents of international law and pointed to the actions of Israel being within the framework of the rules of war. As was said from the start, and which has been completely ignored, those pointing out the legitimacy of Israeli actions under international law don't necessarily agree with their approach.

Is there just two binary sides in this? I think reasonable people of all shades are appalled by the deaths the IDF are causing.

Prior to that they were appalled by the terrorist attack by Hamas.

we have one poster who repeatedly puts up a plan for peace which doesn't have at the top the release of the hostages taken by Hamas,

The release of hostages is not Israels primary focus, why should it be in any one elses plan for peace other than to position them as the primary victims in this conflict. We are way past a time where that was the case.

The release of the hostages is in the Plan for peace I have posted, you don't even acknowledge the Palestinians held without charge as 'hostages'. There's no better example than that of being one eyed on this thread. Not to mention not putting up any counter plan for peace.

The treatment of gay people by Hamas is closer to the definition of genocide than anything the Israelis are doing (thought neither is that close). So, if you want to talk genocide, we can talk about LGBTQ+ rights in the Arab Middle East.

You are the one who is being diverted from the real issue by ignoring the context of the clash of civilisations between the liberal secular human-rights based West with the oppressive religious states of the Middle East.

I would hope you would have the same ire directed at the Israeli President who has come up with an equal amount of garbage during this conflict. People voted for Higgins knowing the sort of person he is.

You are the one who is being diverted from the real issue by ignoring the context of the clash of civilizations between the liberal secular human-rights based West with the oppressive religious states of the Middle East.

This is a conversation that can be had in times of relative peace. Not when tens of people an hour are being killed, hundreds injured and thousands displaced.

I'm not even going to justify your comment about conforming to the definition of genocide within your post as it is so nonsensical it is undeserving of being acknowledged in any sort of meaningful way.

The larger clash of civilisations is between totalitarian states and democratic states. In that Europe, the US and Australia lead the way, with other notable additions, but we are on the wrong side of economics and demographics and the rise of the populist right in the US and parts of Eastern Europe is undermining us from within.

On the other side are the autocratic states in the Middle East, Russia, China and many more. There was an assumption at the end of the Cold War that as other countries got rich and educated they'd want democracy and become more like us. That assumption has turned out to be incorrect.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the solution for this is. We can put pressure on the Israelis to stop their killing of civilians but we can't go into the middle east and force them to treat women and LGBTQ people better. But to say the real issue this month with 10k civilians killed is the killing of LGBTQ people is the ultimate diversion tactic.

I absolutely would. People voted for Higgins because RTE wanted him elected and acted accordingly. He's a pompous, arrogant, verbose, intolerant and humourless person.

The Irish people voted for him. RTE didn't make us do this , we are not simpletons that easily led.

I am sorry, but the systematic elimination of LGBTQ+ people and rights within Arab Middle Eastern countries is close to genocide, much much closer than anything the Israelis are doing.

Maybe you should stop throwing the word around lightly.

And it is quite scary for our way of life.

All those human rights that we have fought for and sought and obtained are at risk from totalitarianism.

The power of social media control in China is the one to watch. That gives the totalitarian regimes the means to control in a way not seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

What mandate did Ursula von der Leyen have to say what she said? None.

The same thing is happening in Russia and China's not much better. There is much to criticise Arab-Muslim culture about but their oppression of LGBT+ people is, unfortunately, in no way unique.

Maybe you should understand what the word means and look then at what the leaders in the Israeli government and military have said along with their actions over the last 2 months.

• Advertisement

A poll on this discussion board suggested Peter Casey was going to be President. He was only in the mix because of his dog whistling with respect to the traveler community.

A current wannabe contender is stirring up hate against migrants and threatening disabled people on Twitter. Both of these people seem to be popular with people who say Michael D should know his place and stay quiet.

The closes Michael D came to behaviour like this was calling Michael Graham a 'wan*er whipping up fear' and I'd gladly vote for him in a heartbeat if he was in a position to run again.

Advertisement