Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

So those of us not going to the city can avoid this traffic

It shouldnt be normal to take 30 minutes to travel 14km from Oranmore to Knocknacarra

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But true bypass traffic is less than 5% of all traffic in galway. The galway transport survey showed this. Almost all galway traffic either starts or ends in the city.

Removing 5% of traffic will not fix congestion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

Why does traffic from east (where most employment is) need to pass through city center to reach the west (where there is a ridiculous number of residential) instead of going across a new bridge far from city center.

There is already huge congestion for traffic starting outside city north and to east coming into employment centers on east side of city (parkmore, ballybrit).

Any new road will hit all this congestion as cars try to exit new road to get into these business parks. Which will then back up into the new road, and then the travel times via new road suffer. At which point people start driving through the city again instead, and before you know it we are back to square one.

Which the plan for the Galway bypass did address

I see you avoided answering why traffic even needs to go near city center to go from one side of city to another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

Obviously Parkmore in the east is a major employer. But the biggest draw for traffic is still the city within the N6 between people working in the city or using the University or hospitals. Add to that school run traffic and a 'ring road' will suit very few.

Buses that are stuck in same traffic (that doesn’t need for most part go near city center) suit even less it seem in real life

Which is why bus connects is being rolled out. But this should be tied in with a proper Park & Ride system for the traffic that generates outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

We've been through this before but it's worth covering again for those who still don't get it. A windscreen view might give you the impression that there is cycle route across the city from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit but the reality is very different. The cycle lanes only exist where they provides the least safety benefit, along side the road on straight stretches, but they disappear completely at the junctions where they are needed most.

If you're travelling from Cappagh Road you have to travel through seven roundabouts before you get to the Quincentenial Bridge. The cycle lane doesn't start until after you've passed through the first two roundabouts and then you get a narrow painted strip along the side of the road that just disappears at each of the next four roundabouts. The Deane Roundabout (Bishop O'Donnell Road) is bad, and I've had a couple of very close calls there, but the Browne Roundabout (back of the hospital) is absolutely terrifying. If you ever wondered why you see so many grown adults cycling down the wrong side of the Seamus Quirke Road to get to the hospital, university or city centre in the mornings, the reason is not because it makes their journey's quicker, it is because going around the Browne Roundabout to take the 3rd or 4th exit is too frightening to even consider. I take the 2nd exit there, so I get to stay in the outside lane, but I was still hit by an impatient/inattentive driver recently, even though I was lit up like a Christmas tree.

After you get over the bridge and along the Headford Road you have to navigate the Kirwan junction (Menlo Park Hotel) where the cycle lane just disappears again. There you have two choices:

1) you get off the bike and walk through junction as a pedestrian, queuing at the signal controlled crossings, to get to the bike lane heading out Bothar na dTreabh.

2) act like a driver and move out into either of centre two of the 4 lanes approaching this junction. This is a manoeuvre only the very brave would consider.

At all the regular crossroads along the way (7 in total) you have to contend with drivers cutting across you as if you didn't exist, when they are turning left. Then, once you get to Ballybrit, you have to join a 100km/h dual carriageway if your final destination is Parkmore. I did that once and, even though I'd consider myself a robust cyclist, I'd never do it again.

Anyone who thinks there is a useable cycling route from the western residential areas of Galway to the employment centres on the east of the city has clearly never tried to cycle it. Galway City Council has spent less than zero on cycling infrastructure. Instead it has tacked on substandard rubbish to general roads projects to allow them to be classified as 'active travel' and get roads built and resurfaced using national 'active travel' funding. The main benefit of the existing cycle lanes, far from making cycling safer or encouraging people to cycling, is actually to increase motor traffic speeds by moving people on bikes out of the way on straight stretches.

This is the kind of roundabout you build if you want to encourage cycling (and walking):

But this is what we have instead in Galway:

This is the kind of cycle path you build if you actually want to encourage cycling:

But this is what we have instead in Galway:

Right now the only people who cycle in Galway are the particularly stubborn/reckless, who really want to cycle and do so in spite of the dangers, and those forced to do so from economic necessity. The fact that many people choose not to use dangerous, disconnected cycling infrastructure is not an argument to provide less cycling infrastructure. We can see from other parts of Europe, places with worse weather than Galway or steeper hills, that it is entirely possible to get 35-50% of commuting happening by bike, freeing up road space for those who still do need to drive and making everyone's journey quicker. But to achieve that you need to provide useable infrastructure and we haven't even begun to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'd say most of it bypasses the city centre by going over the Quincentenial bridge. But the reason any of it goes through the city is because that's where the city is and so transport links were built there. They then built the Quincentenial to allow people making the trip you're talking about bypass the city centre. Now they want to do the same again to fix the problem they were supposed to have fixed with the same approach 30 years ago.

The other problem is that most of the commuters are coming from outside the city to the east. Ring road won't help there.

• Advertisement

Totally agree, if only there was some sort of bridge and outer road to take most of the traffic that does need to go near city centre out freeing up city center roads for cycling and buses (like they do in Netherlands places you quoted above)

Quincentennial bridge is in the city center as the city and county grew by quite a bit population wise since it was build and will continue to grow as per our population projections which imho are too optimistic and we will wildly overshoot them

That's an interesting geographic perspective.

So crossing the Quincentenial Bridge, which is 1.2km from Eyre Square, means you are "pass(ing) through the city center", but if we get a new bridge, 500m upstream from the Quincentenial and 1.7km from Eyre Square, that one will be "far from the city center".

Where getting into 'These cow are small, but those cows are far away' territory here. For the record, we have three bridges that can reasonably be described as being in the 'city centre' and a 60km/h dual carriageway leading to a monster roundabout with no pedestrian crossings is not one of them.

The Galway bypass bridge was meant to be wayaaay past the quincentennial bridge which literally goes through what is now the center of Galway University at 1km from Eyre square

It depends on your definition of 'wayaaay past' I guess but, if going through the University grounds is your new criteria for city centre, it's worth noting the Ring Road bridge (not a bypass, remember) is also planned to go through the University grounds.

Last I heard we were coming in well under the population growth estimates too.

It's been said before, and it's worth repeating, that if the ring road was part of a comprehensive plan that involved reallocating city road space to tram/light rail, bus lanes, cycle lanes and pedestrian priority, etc. simultaneously, then much of the current opposition would disappear. But no one who has seen recent developments (or lack thereof) in Galway in recent decades can honestly believe that will happen as a consequence of the ring road. A classic example is Salthill. We can't get a cycle lane there because a vocal cohort of Galway citizens view parking spaces right at the sea front as being more important than road safety. How is a ring road going to change that? Or look at the scandal that ensued when College Road was made one way temporarily, which is the classic method of providing more space for other modes of transport. Do you think that, once a Ring Road has been built, people are going to suddenly agree to making Kingston Road, Taylors Hill, Dr. Mannix Road, Monivea Road, etc. all one way?

This argument is used by cynical figures (Galway Chamber, I'm looking at you) to try to make the Ring Road sound like the key to unlocking a shift to other transport options in the centre. But we all know that as soon as actual proposals are put forward to restrict motor traffic they'll be objecting like hell.

Yours is one of the few scenarios that would benefit from the GCRR. However that is only 7% of peak time journeys according to their own data from 2012.

According to Goggle maps going from Oranmore to Knockancarra is approx 50 mis at peak times. But between 18 - 24 off peak (I used middle of the night!)

But even with the GCRR looping around the city which is approx 12km added to the drive from Oranmore it would still take 15 mins in the very best scenario - assuming its 120kph motorway all the way.

40% of traffic within Galway stays on its own side within the city. They are never going to use the GCRR.

If reliable public transport & active travel options were available for these commuters, then the current N6 'bypass' would cater for most of those who do have to drive over the Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

in your best scenario of 15mins, that would be 15/25mins throughout the day no matter the time.....all it takes is one accident the city and then it is gridlocked. hell even wet weather it gets grid locked. when SHTF, you could be an hour and more getting from one side to another.... i could be half way to dublin in that same time if starting in oranmore.

have issue how they came to that 3% where those pneumatic vehicle counters are never on the rat runs. Plus that 3%, is what exactly the HGV's that serve Connemara? if it is then wouldn't it be wise to take HGV traffic out of the city? Wheres the traffic stats that goes west cause the only way there is through the city or up via clonbur.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I'm not being rude, it's a good debate, but stats from 2012 would be too stale now. Roscam and Oranmore have developed massively since then.

Parkmore has increased hugely in terms of employees since then.

And also, a lot of people avoid making the journey, due to the time it takes.

I've always argues for more public transport links to the city centre. I'll take the bus or train into town from Oranmore as often as possible, but if you took more cars out of the city via a ring road, then public transport links would improve immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Globally, more roads attract more cars. The issue is about moving people, not cars.

@CuriousCucumber "but if you took more cars out of the city via a ring road, then public transport links would improve immediately"

I think 'could improve immediately, but only if specific action is taken' would be a more accurate assessment. The plans submitted by TII and the two Galway Councils specifically predict close to zero increase in the share of journeys taken by other means of transport after the ring road is built and also predict that car traffic will actually increase on many city centre roads. As it stands there are no plans at all to use the ring road as a catalyst to improve public transport links in the city.

It's also worth noting that you don't necessarily need to provide new roads in order to improve public transport links. We have a clear example of this in Dublin where re-allocation has greatly increased capacity without the provision of new roads. And before anyone starts talking about the Port Tunnel or the M50, the point is specifically that the likes of the north and south quays and Abbey Street carry many more people into and and out of the city centre now that space/priority has been reallocated to the Luas, buses and bikes, and car use has decreased by more than 50%. More people can get where they need to go by re-prioritising existing roads, it just means fewer of them will be getting there in cars, and willingly so because the other options become more attractive for many.

You're not being rude at all. I absolutely agree that these stats are too stale now, however these are the stats that were submitted and are being used to develop the GCRR. I would suspect now while the volumes would have increased significantly the traffic pattern percentages within the city would be broadly similar but the big exception of those travelling in to the city from outside.

You are also correct that Parkmore has increased employment but if this was the only employer for residents of Roscam and Oranmore then we definitely wouldn't need the GCRR as they are in very close proximity. The reality is as the economy grows the city as a destination grows, attracting more employees, students, residents, tourists and visitors. That is currently piling more traffic in to the city. The GCRR will not help to alleviate that and would probably make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

After this was published a straw poll carried out by a neighbour suggested that it's total rubbish.

He couldn't find one person who was questioned during the survey. I drive through Galway every day on route to Oranmore - I never saw a survey.

I have no idea how this particular survey was conducted but having it described as a survey doesn't mean there was a form to fill in and people were questioned about their travel patterns.

A much more accurate way of doing it would be to actually track number plates at the city boundaries, and at the four bridges, for a week. I think it has already been suggested earlier in this thread that this was the way it was done but that it would underestimate the frequency of some journeys if it was only done on the main roads and didn't capture traffic rat-running down Letteragh Road, or through Menlo, for example.

Why didn't your neighbour just look at the report?

They bought GPS data from a 3rd party, which was the most comprehensive dataset available in Ireland at the time. A bit more scientific than asking a couple of lads down the pub. Some of them might even have been part of the dataset used. Your neighbour might even have been part of it for all he knows.

That trip information was not captured by surveying people. IIRC correctly its based on modelling, traffic counters, census demographics and national transport survey.

Unless you think its all made up?

If so why would Galway's city council make up traffic results that actually hurt the business case for their ring road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

"

It's been said before, and it's worth repeating, that if the ring road was part of a comprehensive plan that involved reallocating city road space to tram/light rail, bus lanes, cycle lanes and pedestrian priority, etc. simultaneously, then much of the current opposition would disappear. 

"

Beautifully put.

The Taoiseach was recently talking about "freed up space" in Galway if the Ring Road is built.

Perhaps Leo Varadkar did say

"I look forward on the day the Ring Road opens as Galway City will be able to add 3km of Bus Lanes from Newcastle to Moneenageisha overnight before the Ring Road opens; along the Quincentenary Bridge - Sean Mulvoy Road to Moneenageisha. The upgrade of this vital public transport corridor is just one step of reducing car usage in Galway City once the Ring Road has opened."

Any other examples of statements for Leo - where he and his colleagues can give examples of the reallocation of the freed up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Think they are referring to the Service Duct lanes built over 30yrs ago now along the N6 that Council rebranded as cycle lanes 10years ago when they were removing the MultiLane Roundabouts on the N6? Still one roundabout to go behind UHG. For some people out there throwing up a couple of signs and marking these service duct lanes is somehow big spending on cycling in the City. Ha ha ha. There is a beautiful delusional metaphor in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Well if they are service ducts, they’re stupidly wide for that purpose. What would satisfy you if these “service ducts” aren’t up to your preferred spec?

Advertisement