Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Don't know why either,look he should definitely finishing more of the chances he gets,but with him on the field we definitely create way more. Definitely not the problem some people make him out to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cup game V Arsenal is on the BBC on Sunday Jan 7th at 4:30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Konate was excellent yesterday bar those two lapses in concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I would have Jota, Nunez, Salah as the first choice 3 at the moment too.

Diaz is way off it at the moment and Gakpo seems to be performing better as a sub and/or a general player who can play anywhere rather than CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Against better sides those lapses in concentration would have cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I mean, it's maybe slight hyperbole, simply because his levels from 2018 to 2020 were so ludicrously high.

But i think a combination of the captain's armband, having legs in front of him in midfield, and maybe trusting his knee fully again, he looks back to at least 70% of his old self at least. his pace is not quite where it was at, but I would argue a lot of his aura is back.

when Cameron Archer got half-through in the first half yesterday, Van Dijk did his classic thing of holding the centre while waiting for reinforcements to come - delay, delay, delay, and only jump in when you have to. Archer pulled the trigger, and he effortlessly blocked it. he did it so perfectly, and as a result the commentator was so confused, that said commentator started criticising him for bad defending, saying he got lucky. i couldn't believe my ears. the guy defended it perfectly, and Archer looked like a child. just like all attackers did up to his injury.

now that the aura seems there again, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Steviemak7

Exactly, the point is it is possible to move the times. Especially after an international break. THe police were able to move the Arsenal game to 5:30 (as in Manchester police for a different game). Merseyside police should restrict Liverpool from playing at 12:30😉

I have never seen police move a CL game. They seem happy for Liverpool to play City in a CL match at 8pm. I doubt Uefa would stand for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Agree, if you go back to a few weeks where we had a run of games with Jota, Nunez and Salah playing together, it was by far the best we have looked up top all season. I think everything that happened to Diaz these last few months is finally taken its toll and he looks mentally and physically drained.

Strangely Gakpo is more skillful and looks way more composed than Nunez, but offers less than half the threat. He really only comes good when coming on when we're 2 often 3 up, and there's no pressure on him. Anytime he's had to start, lead the line and maybe stake a claim as the outright starter in the No.9 position he has failed to deliver every single time.

Salah looked very good and played some of his best stuff in a long time at the start of the season. He seems to have dropped off a little now, and anytime he plays without Nunez he doesn't look like himself at all. I think he accepts that he will be doubled up on and isolated on the wing for large parts, so he just gets frustrated and tries to do things himself from out wide, which is not really his strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That's a fair point and something that I've thought of before.

I suspect that whilst UEFA obviously have no control over the UK police and can't dictate to them, that their attitude might be along the lines of "you're saying it cant be played at 8pm eh?, ok we'll reschedule it for 8pm in a neutral country then, no shortage of willing candidates". Kind of playing a bit of hardball. But not an option that's possible for an EPL fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The fact that UCL games are in midweek changes things, right? Hard for someone to get wasted having worked until 5pm and then made their way to the ground compared to the weekend where you could be in the pub from 12pm until 5pm.

Merseyside police wouldn't need to worry as Liverpool nearly always get the 12.30 away from home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

From what I remember from the Benitez era, the 12.30 Saturday games nearly always involved fixtures with Everton and Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Considering its a midweek and most locals would be at work and not out drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would ye play Adrian in the last EL game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Everton already out of the relegation zone.

Handy for us to see Newcastle (and hopefully Spurs) dropping points tonight.

He's not in the EL squad. Alisson, Kelleher and Jaros were the keepers picked.

Would Jaros be the first player to win a FAI Cup final and start a game for Liverpool?

Surely there's one other from back in the day?

• Advertisement

Looking to Saturday,Does Konate start again considering how soon the match is after the Sheffield Utd and injury prone he is?

Palace will be without Doucoure,Eze and the left back Mitchell I think. Hodgson had a go at the fans midweek so things are definitely not rosy there at the minute. Might not be the worst time to be playing them

Maybe Gomez in beside VVD and Tsimksas back at LB and TAA at RB. Then swap everyone bar Gomez for midweek and bring in Quansah and the two kids for LB and RB.

Yeah that is what I was thinking,maybe Jones in for MacAllister if the cut on his leg is bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Timing is key every season, playing teams when they are on form v off form are not like playing the same team at all , that said form can change quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

It's been a strange season. Here we are, lying second in the table, and IMO we haven't played that well so far. I think Alisson and Virgil are the only 2 players that have been relatively consistent.

I think Trent has been ok. Very good at times. I don't know where exactly he should play to get the very best out of him. Hopefully Klopp can figure that out. Matip has been decent and it's a real shame that he's done for the season. Konate is inconsistent but he's been good more than bad. Kostas has had a few shaky moments but overall I think he's done a pretty good job replacing Robertson. Gomez has had a few great games and has done well on the right, but he's too prone to errors. Quansah is very promising.

MacAllister isn't playing in his favoured position so it's understandable that he's not always at his best. After a great start, Dom has dropped a level recently but I'm sure he'll improve again. Gravenberch has some good games, but like Dom, has dropped off a bit in the last few games. Endo had a shaky start but his form has been good in the last few games. I think he's found his feet.

Elliot only seems to be good when coming on as a sub. Jones adds very little these days. I think he's better further up the pitch but Klopp doesn't seem to want him there.

Apart from a few goals, Diaz has been a big disappointment. I can't remember him being too great last season either, but I could be wrong there. Gakpo is very inconsistent also. Not sure where his best position is. Jota can be awful some games, but then he always seems to pop up with goals! Salah is Salah and will always score goals. He might be a bit tired at the moment. But he's always capable of some magic and his assist rate has been very good this season. Nunez overall has improved since last year. Still misses some sitters, but his work rate and the chaos he brings makes me smile.

I think we need another couple of good defenders and a midfielder if we have any chance of winning the premiership this season.

We're still 2nd though! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Most the fan pages tonight linking LFC to Wolfsburg French CB Maxence Lacroix story seems to originate from John Cross in the Mirror

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

The game tomorrow is a big game psychologically to win.

4 points ahead of City. Need to win to maintain the gap, City are going to take out their frustrations on Luton.

2 points ahead of Villa and 2 points behind Arsenal. A win puts us top of the league, pressure on Arsenal to win and a draw between Arsenal and Villa will have us 3 points ahead of Villa and ahead of Arsenal on goal difference.

A Villa win keeps us 2 points ahead of them and a clear point ahead of Arsenal. An Arsenal win will put us 5 points ahead of Villa and back in second where we currently are.

We're 7 points ahead of Spurs and United and 8 points ahead of Newcastle so a win keeps that gap no matter what their results and hopefully that gap gets a bit extended.

December / January have normally been tough months for us results wise. If we can get through the next 2 months and still be in the top 2 we tend to finish strong from February to May.

Wins in the next two months no matter how ugly the performances are really all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think the biggest advantage we have this season is the amount of teams at the top of the table taking points off each other.

There have been a number of seasons where City (and Liverpool) have gone on crazy winning streaks, steamrollering everyone else. That doesn't seem like it will be the case now and that might suit Liverpool better.

I'm not really worried about Arsenal at all, they have a dodgy keeper and have had a lot of luck with late goals - once the pressure comes on they will fold. If we can stay near the top with 8-10 games to go, I think we could have a real chance - did not think I'd be saying that before the season kicked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I hate the 12.30 game, but with Palace in Selhurst park, it's probably better than a midweek game under lights.

If they get going at all, that place rocks in nighttime games, and is a difficult place to get a win, as we've found out over the years. It's a great sight seeing them bouncing and singing 'Glad all over', unless you're 2-1 down after 80 minutes and they are hitting on the counter attack.

In some ways, a dull 1-0 or 2-0 win exactly like on Wednesday is what's required

The fact that Palace played Wednesday night as well levels the playing field a bit.

Allison back in team training

• Advertisement

MacAllister could be a doubt for the Utd game

Midfield is the one area we have good cover in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It's a strange season, as I don't think 1 team can claim to be fully at it. Arsenal have been average to poor for most of the season and yet they're top by 2 points. We've been just ok-ish as you point out, City hit and miss, same with Spurs. UTD dreadful, Newcastle not much better and the less said about Chelsea the better.

Even clubs like Brighton and Brentford who have provided great entertainment and quality these last few years are not at it this season.

The only team you can say a playing to their potential are Villa, and even at that, they have been beat 5-1 and 3-0 already this season!

But all these things are making it a far more enjoyable experience for us fans, as you don't know what's going to happen each weekend these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Honestly I put it all down to a hangover from the world cup last christmas. The schedule was ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

United dreadful but one point better off than much vaunted Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Interesting that so many teams seem to have injury crises now. I do wonder though whether at teams like Spurs and Newcastle it is just like we saw with Klopp when he arrived. Pushing the players in a new pressing system that they are not used to and for Newcastle the added matches that they had as well means players are just overloaded and they get injured. Add in a few unlucky injuries at the same time and you have a bare bones squad. We had 8 players out as well so its not like we have not been suffering, its just we seem to cope with it better as the injuries have not hit us in critical positions so the players not being available is not as bad as it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭patsy sally

A dull uneventful game with a 1.0 win will do nicely

The long stoppages for VAR decisions can't be good for players either. I haven't seen any stats on it yet though tbf.

There's been a few years of congested games now with a couple of COVID seasons and then the Winter World Cup. That is the biggest problem IMO.

19 years ago tonight I was sat just behind the goal on the Kop when you're happened...

😃

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Studying for exams in London - ended up in a nightclub in Twickenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

A pub in limerick,talking about limbs when Gerrard scored and every drink in the house spilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

You're not wrong....it does make it more exciting for football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I think we were high in 105, you can't have been far from us 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Was working nights, with really no internet coverage. Was popping in and out to the security hut where the guard had a small B&W portable TV, and popped out to get the final score. Just happened in the hut about 30 seconds before the goal..... BOOM!

Different times.

Rumours on twitter that Quansah starts today

• Advertisement

The official site confirms Ali is in the squad. I'm not sure whether that wording suggests he's only on the bench...?

Advertisement