Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Didn't give anyone dogs abuse ,and as I've said from the very start if they don't get the full support to fight Russia they will struggle to remove russia from all of Ukraine,I hoped they would have smashed they way to meltipol and cut the Russians forces in half and they head to Crimea, but no the Ukrainians decided they know how to fight a modern war by using trench warfare,they received tens of billions in weapons and equipment, hundreds of tanks and IFVs and yet they are no where to be seen bar in propaganda videos or the odd video here's a lone Bradley fighting in a field with no other vehicles in support or dismounted infantry,you cant win war using tactics like that,

I've said it since day one the best option might just be for Nato to go in and fight for the Ukrainians ,

Divisions have started to appear in the US and neighbouring countries and it's now looking divisions between zelensky and Zaluzhny ,all the while Ukrainian forces are on social media begging for the most basic of equipment that they haven't received from boots , helmets,plate carriers and sapi plates to socks and uniforms that fit ,

Questions are getting asked

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

Did you find examples of Zelensky not listening to US and NATO commanders you claimed a few posts up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Okay, sorry not dogs abuse (in the personal sense of that term!), you rubbished their positions/opinions.

Going back to article you posted earlier, don't think it was realistic to expect Ukraine's military (or their population) to be so gung ho for a do or die roll of the dice offensive with a small outdated air support and very little in way of long range weapons (UK/French cruise missiles that are in short supply modified somehow to fire off those old jets, nothing at all really from US afaik, which is shocking) to back it up.

I think their Western advisers are a bit delusional expecting them to risk large numbers of lives, and large amounts of what may also be irreplacable military equipment under circumstances they would never accept for themsleves.

As it happens, with what we are seeing in US politics + a shameful failing of will there (likely no new congressional spending on Ukraine this year) may have been for the best that they husbanded weapons they did get somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I liked the idea of a collapse in the defensive lines putin's troops set up in occupied Ukraine but it was not US or NATO troops on the ground and by all accounts there appears to have been much more land mines supported by artillery, drones and aircraft in those defensive lines for a major breakthrough to have been established as many would have hoped. The Ukrainians are the ones who are fighting to free their country from putin's occupation so I give much more value to what they have said about the war over the summer just gone and from sources I have seen they consider that they have made progress. To me it is not so much in territory that they have progressed but in weakening the military forces putin has sent to Ukraine with another update on major progress in destroying putin's military machine across the front lines yesterday.

Each day they are making big strides in depleting the ability of putin's forces to fight and with committed aid to Ukraine from countries with a much greater economic power than putin has, I fail to see how he can believe time is on his side. Free democratic countries will always have debate between politicians but already the EU has committed to more aid for Ukraine than the USA has and this is understandable as to defeat putin will work out to be money well spent for the EU when Europe sees the benefits of peace once again. According to this site the aid promised from the EU now amounts to 77billion euro while the USA has committed to a further 25billion and the EU also outstrips the USA in aid already dispersed. Much talk also of the arms industry in the EU and in Ukraine itself being built up which will have knock on effects on what the armed forces of Ukraine can do to putin's forces.

They could have made advances without airsupport, Russia don't have air superiority in Ukraine and never did ,this war so far has been an Old fashioned artillery duel and trench war fare ,I don't think Ukraine has the military Leadership or experience to successfully procecute a war against Russia,we keep hearing Russia is loosing this many men and Ukraine aren't suffering high levels of losses at all ,when in fact both sides are losing large numbers,it's a meat grinder for both but unless there is a big change somewhere very little is going to change, a few F16s are not going to change the situation in the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Field east

Again , there is no mention of the severity/ impact of the actions carried out by UKr BEHIND THE LINES - and most of these actions have an intermediate/ long term effect

Death by a thousand cuts is a viable strategy for Ukraine, the Soviets were driven out of Afghanistan in same manner by being driven insane and the whole bullshit 70 year experiment starting to collapse under the weight of contradictions. Putin’s regime is built on even shakier ground than USSR

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The US knew and said the counter offensive would fail before it began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Actually it needed 60 votes to pass so his vote wouldn’t have made a difference and Bernie stated he voted against it because it also included funding israel weapons which he is opposed to, not Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭eire4

All 50 of them! As it happens I think the bill needed 60 votes to pass so it wasn't even close which ever way Bernie Sanders voted or not because every single Republican voted against it.

• Advertisement

No Bernie Sanders vote did not change the outcome one iota. The bill needed 60 votes to pass so it was the Republicans who all 50 of voted against the bill who were to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

On "they could have made advances without air support", I don't know, maybe, but was a big gamble involving a lot of lives, maybe future of their country. It is not how the US/NATO fights (if Ukraine is supposed to be fighting in a "US/NATO" way now, and you accuse it of not doing so). Some kind of air support is on call and lots of long range (cruise) missiles are available. I expect that will be true in any war that US/allies will fight, even if they don't gain full air superiority and aircraft they put up are at a much higher risk than in recent US wars (as they would be in Ukraine, even were the US/NATO itself fighting I think).

Yes, I understand both are losing a lot of men and equipment, with Russia coming off much worse afaik. What Russia are doing here does not seem sustainable for them, but of course Ukraine is a much smaller country and if its backers don't have the will or courage to provide right level of support and then keep it up long enough, it is in trouble. That is what Putin is hoping for. Ukraine might be able to "get by" without getting much more US support (i.e. Ukraine may be capable of holding more or less where it is or Russia may only be able to creep forward with these giant losses, as now) but it will finish possibility of Ukraine regaining lost territory IMO, and that is bad news.

On US/NATO I never agreed with you that they should intervene directly here unless it looked like Ukraine would be overrun after surviving the initial attack. That still seems unlikely to me now no matter what the US does. I agree a handful of F16s from Europeans are not enough. I think many more of those Putin "red lines" + "escalations" should have been breached decisively, and the ones that were finally crossed in the end like providing IFVs, tanks, aircraft, missiles etc. should have been ignored far earlier and in a bigger way. Even to extent of sending "advisers" if numbers of trained people in the background is a blocker for Ukraine getting provided weapons up and running quickly. Anyway, that is the past. What was done (or not done) back then is done.

Doesn't seem to be having any major effect on the current situation,if anything Russia in increasing troops inside of Ukraine,if adviika falls in the next while it might might things even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i think Ukraine are doing ok considering the limitations on them i also think while maybe time isnt quite on their side its even less so on putins side...also think theres more going on then what we hear or see on the news...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

A fair amount of handwringing over the aid package vote in the US. It’s theatrics. They will eventually pass it. The parts they tinker with will have nothing to do with Ukraine. Sanders will probably still vote no but there’s too much the Republicans want in the bill so it will eventually pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭thomil

That latter part is the big one, I think. Ukraine has massively tightened on information control and OPSEC in recent months, and indeed for much of this year. And to be honest, I'm okay with that. The events of the first year of the renewed war left us in the west a bit "spoiled" with regards to access to battlefield information, but that kind of insight also means that the opposing side has equal asset to that information. And while we like to point our fingers at the massive deficiencies evident in the Russian military, the poor attempts at false flags (Sims 3, anyone?) or similar issue, there is still a worrying number of people on the Russian side that know what they're doing and can exploit such information. After all, you need at least some competent officers to even keep the current sh!tshow running. So I'm all for restricting the flow of information.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I see I thought it was a plain majority

I still lost all respect for him now for siding with Putler and republicans

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We need to know what else was stapled to that bill cos I'd nearly guarantee that it was the Ukraine bill plus, I dunno, donate more money to the arts or something. Cue the horse-trading, the background items get guillotined and gutted, then the main Ukraine bill passes, the GOP senators suddenly pro-Democracy once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

He voted no because of funding to Israel. He is unlikely to ever vote yes because the aspects of the bill he disapproves of are the same ones that will see Republicans eventually pass it. The bill that was rejected is just a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On today's Russian furniture factory on fire watch..

We have one in Moscow.

Planning in Russia seems weird too. Supposedly an electronic component factory among residential flat complexes. And someone channel hoping in the dark in shot of the factory on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

I would imagine that Republican congressmen would not like to be blamed for large scale redundancies from the weapons and munitions manufacturing industries in their constituencies.

This is just the dance before the ride, us all.

No the rules in the US Seante are just crazy and there are a lot of things you need 60 votes for in order to pass and this bill was one of them. As for Bernie Sanders well yes I disagree with him on this vote but not going to lose all respect for him. He clearly didn't side with the Russian dictator he made it clear his vote was based on the Israeli-Hamas war not Ukraine.

Most likely thats what will happen but the extremist wing of the Republican party is an authoritarian leaning one so I won't be counting any chickens so to speak until the main Ukraine bill actually passes. But hopefully your right and it is able to pass soon.

Been a few suggestions it could be Christmas If not the new year

opsec they are on social media every chance they get to tell us how well they are doing against the Russians,I did notice recently they made a social media post about opsec just as the fight adviika started to turn against the Ukrainians ,there is zero point calling for opsec when it's a Multi year war and it's utterly useless when you have multiple units on social media begging for basic equipment and clothing and giving actual updates, including telling the world they are suffering losses,

The Russians know where the Ukrainians are and the Ukrainians know exactly where the Russians are they , just neither side can push the other out

Did you find that reference to backup your claim that Zelensky refused to listen to NATO and US commanders?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Economic sanctions aren't an overnight thing: what did you expect exactly. Lines on the street for bread overnight? The sanctions have had a demonstrable effect on the economy, the facts are out there in the many ways sanctions have squeezed the country. And like armies, can't be endured indefinitely.

• Advertisement

It's in the article provided....

Different accounts same nonsense suprise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement