Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I wonder will this scheme be reflected in official inflation figures? It could be argued that it shouldn't be because the money can be recovered. But in reality some proportion of it won't be. And it seems to work somewhat like Tesco clubcard vouchers, which I assume isn't used to reduce inflation figures - where you spend today and get vouchers later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Just to be clear, the Alupro figure is based on an approximation based on UK figures. It is almost certainly high. There is no data collection for can or bottle recycling in Ireland. EPA measure by material. Even taking that, of the figures in the survey you quote, firstly that survey relates to PET recycling which is lower than aluminium in virtually every country in the world. Industry estimates PET recycle rates in Ireland of 60-65. Secondly of the figures you show only the Netherlands has a significantly lower figure for a country with DRS. The DRS is Netherlands was strange, it started on a voluntary basis, then only moved to money with 2 litre bottles, then later in mid 2021 to small bottles, so the figures you source are for a scheme less than a year old. Netherlands only added cans this year. In short, the Dutch scheme was a lesson in how not to do things.

There is a reason every European country is implementing DRS, it is proven to work. It may be inconvenient, but it works at not only increasing recycling rates but also in creating a separate waste stream which improves the reuseability of the materials. This is not just about more recycling it is about more effective recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,982 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is no data collection for can or bottle recycling in Ireland

Really?

So we are introducing a brand new system for a problem we don't know the scope of, if it exists or what is causing it?

Throwing darts blind folded method of problem solving seldom works.

This is not just about more recycling it is about more effective recycling

It sounds like the opposite TBH, we are shoving in another expensive inconvenient layer of recycling into a system that all ready exists and most importantly works. May not work perfectly but I very much doubt that is down to the home user. I imagine rates for recycling at home are the highest they can be.

I assume the collection will be contracted out to the existing waste management companies, which in reality means they will get paid on the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wonder which will be the first charity to jump on this - "donate your bottles to us so we can claim your deposits!"

Or an entreprenurial type. I'll collect your cans and bottles on Sunday morning and pay you back minus 5c/item

An easier solution again would be to allow you to tap or insert your credit/debit card and get the refund refunded to that card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

There was a machine in the underground carpark in Citywest shopping centre recently that donated 10c for every can or bottle to a local youth centre. We used it all the time but it was removed a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

It's almost like we had a whole network setup to do that which we paid for already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Is this coming in up the North? Or will this be another excuse to travel up and stock up on drink?

As mentioned previously, we've tried our best to limit our single use plastic consumpion, virtually no plastic bottles go into the green bin, and the only aluminium cans would be my beer cans, in a family of four. Tetra Pak is our biggest 'waste' in our house, that'll probably be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭JVince

Ireland started it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container-deposit_legislation

As usual a noisy tiny minority looking for every conceivable angle to complain and moan. In reality it works exceptionally well, is of minor inconvenience and will rid the streets, parks, hills, and beaches of millions of empty bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ugly looking yokes alright.Some look like they will need to emptied every 2 day max.All I've seen are within the stores boundaries so maybe they get away with not applying for pp.They are within the planning dimensions

Yes it's another excuse to travel up north or even buy from amazon etc. The one upside to this for you is you no longer have to crush or clean the beer cans after use

• Advertisement

We do, and most of my aluminium recycling is beer cans so if I end up putting the blue (recycling) bin out less often as a result of this I will save there as well. My provider knocks €6 off my bill every time a bin doesn't go out so I could save a small amount from this as long as my bin provider doesn't jack the prices up

Definitely, there's 25% of 6 bottles of wine at the moment, so will head up again soon.

Will be worth keeping an eye on prices next year!

is of minor inconvenience and will rid the streets, parks, hills, and beaches of millions of empty bottles.

How?

If I go to the beach, I follow the leave nothing but your footprints mantra. I bring my waste home or in the rare case itemised disposal is provided I use them.

If I was the sort of person to throw my rubbish on a beach or in a park or on a hill I'm still going to do that, why wouldn't I? Because I can get a 15 cent tesco voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the people that would throw away now won't to get the deposit

Others will collect those that are thrown away to reclaim the deposit. Not a fan of this as a core part of it, but it happens

The vouchers are convertible to cash

That's quite frankly a bonkers reason, so the county councils have washed their hands and handed the problem to poor people and free labour.

Also I can't see many poor people walking the hills or swimming out to rescue a 25 cent bottle.

It may happen in urban areas, but I think it just creates a whole industry that will not be good for the environment.

A bin is going to get kicked over, not methodically gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But to claim the deposit back cans need to be in an undamaged state with the barcodes intact, which a large proportion of beach litter is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Yeah, wait until your provider notices he’s losing money and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Funny feeling bottles of beer will become popular..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

May be time to invest in a proper bin lock for my green bin, as I keep it out the front.

Don't fancy the idea of anyone tipping it over and going through it to look for plastic bottles and cans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I have a rubber bucket at the side of the house for glass bottles and cans. There’s a hole in the bottom of the bucket to allow the rain to drain through and when full I drive to the bottle bank. Any plastic goes into the blue bin which I pay a fixed monthly fee for. I’m going to need new durable plastic (yey!) crates with lids to keep plastic bottles dry

Is there a maximum amount that can be returned in one transaction? I’ll be making 2 different car journeys to 2 separate locations (bottle bank for glass and shop for cans) and if there’s a maximum amount that can be dropped off then it would be more unnecessary car journeys.

Can you definitely get cash back rather than shop vouchers? I don’t want to be forced to purchase goods in the more expensive SuperValu under an illusion that I’m getting my own money back.

Will my monthly standing charge for my blue bin reduce as they’re burning less fuel due to less weight being transported? cough:sarcasm:cough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

or 4. refund to contactless payment card / apple pay / Google pay linked account. This would be the most convenient - I rarely use cash. I'd prefer to get refunded the same way I originally paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

If the cans don't have the barcode is the charge still applied?

Does the retailer have to record the amount of money collected on the "Deposit" and forward that to the revenue service?

Where does that money go?

Where does the money come from for the payments from the recycling machines, what is the added margin? (Obvs the company's want a profit)

Every beer can I use, I put in my recycling bin.. How is this going to improve my recycling given that now I need to make a journey to do what I currently do at the side of my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If the cans dont have the barcode and logo it will be illegal to sell them after the end of may. Its illegal for a producer to put a product on the market after March 16. The gap in between is intended to clear the stock.

Yes the retailer has to log the information.

The deposit goes back to return and then is paid back to whoever pays the deposit back

The retailer gets a handling fee for every bottle they collect. That is paid by return. Return gets its money from a fee paid by producers for every bottle they pay on the market. They will also make money from sale of the metal and plastic back to the producers, who all want it and unclaimed deposits. Return is established on a not for profit basis.

Your recycling rate wont change much - maybe you would be incentivised to recycle bottles or cans you drink on the go or maybe you already recycle them. What will change is that your bottles are less likely to be contaminated and they will be more likely to be able to be used for food grade plastic again and the cans will be of a better quality for recycling.

Yes a price increase is probably inevitable for all of us because of this, assuming the bin company isn't profiting more from not lifting the bin and giving me €6 for the pleasure

Post edited by Red Silurian on

(Glass) bottles are already popular for beer drinkers, in fact I've noticed the switch to cans by some microbreweries has increased the prices per litre for the customer so a reversal of this trend is no harm

Assuming the rare case of milk stouts should be exempt as are all dairy containers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭beachhead

TetraPak is extremely difficult to break down.The local council will be stuck with disposal forever-20 years?

I know, originally the only reason it was allowed in the Green bin is that Tetra Pak would take them back to a centralised plant in Europe, for 'recycling'. This was 15 years ago, so not sure if anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tetrapaks of water are starting to appear as replacements for plastic bottles; which seems like a backwards step really.

If opaque returnable glass was a thing (I still have a milkman, so returns would be facile) that would be the ideal packaging for milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I recall another post you put up about milk in clear bottles.

I understand that you have a problem with the taste.

I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago and the family I stayed with subscribe to a bottled milk delivery.

Apparently they are making a bit of a comeback there.

The milkman delivers the bottles to the doorstep each morning and takes away the empties.

Not taking away from your experience and I acknowledge that taste is personal.

I just found the milk delicious on cereal, in tea and in a glass on its own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement