Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ..board..

I picked up the yearbook today, all the U15 match reports are from 2022, even the photos are labelled incorrectly, it's very sloppy editing and proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Take it back to where you got it tell them about the printing errors. To be honest it is usually well presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Looking ahead to next year, any thoughts on a midfield pairing? We've struggled to bed in a consistent pairing, or even one, in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I think one of the returning Mikey Carey and Davy Blanchfield will have to play there. Conor Heary, Peter McDonald and Timmy Clifford might be an option too. We need someone new there, not pulling forwards out to compensate.

We certainly do need to keep our scoring forwards nearer to the goal and to stop wasting their scoring threat by playing them in midfield and beyond!

I'd rather see Carey and Blanchfield on the half back line. Clifford and Heary might work at midfield. What about Paddy Deegan, he might do a job there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think as we look ahead at next year we have 2 big issues we need addressing if we are to be successful and that's the half back line and midfield.

For the half back line I'd go with Mikey Carey and David Blanchfield as the 2 wing backs and then settle on a centre back early in the year and kep continuity in this line going forward. Our choices of centre back aren't great to be honest, Richie Reid is the man with the jersey at the minute but when taken on has struggled, the other options might be Deegan (who looks better further up the pitch) and maybe Darragh Corcoran but all in all no stand out candidates, would someone like Eddie Donnelly at Thomastown be worth a try there?

Midfield has been a problem for us for a while and again I think we need to pick a pairing and stick with this and give them time to settle in. Peter McDonald has had a good year and is probably worth a look, Killian Doyle has been good at underage and will also be tried there I'm sure. Then you also have players like Deegan/Heary/Clifford who probably struggle at the back but are not really forwards and might be able to do a job for us. From the club scene the best midfielder I've seen this year is Kevin Blanchfield, I'm not sure if he is on the panel (I had heard he was intending on going away travelling) but I think he could be our best option there.

On new panel member does anyone have a definitive list of players who are definitely after been called up? I recall that the Irish Independent had it that Liam Blanchfield was back on the panel but I could be mistaken but I thought he returned to Australia after the club championship finished.

I know we're not allowed to use the "S" word in Kilkenny but Richie Reid would be brilliant at it. I just think that as an orthodox centre back he is too ripe for picking by a clever centre forward who plays out from him (like Lynch is the all ireland) but he's too good to leave off.

Would love to see Kevin Blanchfield work out at midfield. He's exactly what the modern game demands and Kilkenny needs. A selfless worker with brilliant energy levels. We never seem to have runners breaking through gaps and turning defences. Imagine the carnage he could cause if he got going through the middle with good forwards running ether side of him. Good user of the ball too. The one worry is he will be starting his senior career at 28/29 years of age. Is it too late? I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

In fairness in big Phils presentation he made the point made above that it's a GAA Co Board and not a Hurling county board and the Co Board would have to do more to promote and encourage the other GAA sports and the camogie and ladies football if it wanted to attract more sponsorship as these high end sponsors are already looking for inclusion etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Is Kevin Blanchfield on the panel for next year do you know?

• Advertisement

This might be a bit of mad call at this time of the year but I'll throw my hat at a starting(ish) 15 for next year, with options in certain positions.

Tallis

Molloy/Rowe, D Corcoran, M Butler

M Carey, H Lawlor, D Blanchfield

2 out of R Reid, P Deegan, K Blanchfield, C Heary, T Clifford, B Ryan

A Mullen, E Cody, T Phelan

TJ, L Blanchfield, J Donnelly

While Murph is an amazing shot stopper unless he can bring game management to his play, I'd plum for Tallis ahead of him. I think Tallis' puckouts are better from what I've seen and he's a good, brave shot stopper too.

Rowe was impressive in the league last year until he was cut down with Covid. Molloy has been excellent for OLG and brings real energy to the pitch. Tommy Walsh has been in very poor form with Tullaroan this year maybe he'll recover.

I think Corcoran was really impressive for Ballyhale at FB and I think he's more suited to there than the HB line. He doesn't have to turn as much and he's surprisingly fast in a straight line, there isn't many will get by him easy.

The corner and wings speak for themselves and I think if Huw had a sustained period at CB I think he could be a new Brian Hogan/Declan Hannon. He was tried there last year but I feel the experiment was ended just as he was getting used to it when we needed him FB.

Any of the 6 I've named for midfield could do a job, finding the right combination is key obviously. K Blanch and B Ryan will give you plenty going forward and Blanch is used to the role. I think Billy Ryans days in the forward line are over or it's from the bench. R Reid would give you a deep lying option and Deegan would too. Heary and Clifford will give you a bit of both and might be a good combination. I'd try combinations like Reid and K Blanch, Deegan and B Ryan, Heary and Clifford.

Strong half and full forward lines.

I'd have TJ and Blanch close to goal (a couple of bears in the square) and Donnelly exchanging with TJ as one drifts to the half forward line/midfield.

Sub options up front - Mossy, Drennan, G Dunne, C Kenny, Wally and whoever else puts their hand up during the league, there are a few interesting young lads in there but it's probably too early for most. From what I heard Liam accepted the offer to go in with the county panel but had to return to Australia to sort things out before returning. He will be back in Jan I think, if he's not back already. Kevin Blanch has definitely got a call in and could be a great addition. I had felt for the last 5+ years he deserved a spot but he wouldn't have fit with the way we were trying to play and maybe he still won't but he's fast and has a great engine on him, can take his own and set up scores. If we're to take on Limerick we need a solid 8 from midfield back, that changes little from the later stages of the league all the way to the final whistle of our final championship match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Not a bad shout at all…. thought Jordan Malloy had a great club campaign alright. What about David Fogarty?….worth a try ? Good hurler but might need to build up physically.

Im also very reluctant to take Huw out of full back as he’s so safe there but haven’t seen much of Corcoran at number three.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

The players out from last year: Richie Hogan, Padraig Walsh, Alan Murphy, Shane walsh, Evan Cody, Des Dunne and Daire O Neill

Players in from last year: Liam Blanchfield, Stephen Donelly, Harry Shine, Padraic Moylan, Cathal Beirne, Billy Reid and Kevin Blanchfield.

Does anyone know anyone else called in? I wonder was James Maher called back in as he had a good championship with Freshford.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Unlikely Richie Leahy or Conor Browne be back with Kilkenny next year I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

There might be 59 personnel, there’s certainly not 59 coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Could we see the three Blanchfields play in championship next year for Kilkenny?

Who were the last 3 brothers to play in the same champ match for Kilkenny?

As far back as the famous Fennellys?

From what I've heard neither has any intention of returning to Ireland soon. In fact there are apparently a good few other Village lads heading out there next year,, so the Village will be more depleted next year if that holds true.

Jordan Molloy, David Fogarty and Joe Fitzpatrick from Dunnamaggin is in there too, I heard a few other names but I can't remember at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Could we see Cillian Buckley and Walter midfield maybe? 2 big men to start and then maybe Richie Reid or Paddy Deegan to supplement them after half time...

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Brilliant all three clubs secured Leinster titles and with the county board getting their act together the future might improve. congratulations to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

Reading today's article in the Irish Independent about Richie Hogan gives you an appreciation of what he put his body through, the efforts he made to play and the frustrations he endured because of an injured body. He will need an operation to fuse bones. I give out about players at times but the sacrifices and pain that the likes of Richie Hogan, Richie Power, Henry Shefflin, Conor Fogarty and others have gone through might make me a less critical hurler on the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

3 games on TG4 Sunday at the same time

O'Loughlins v Ruairi Og 1.30pm TG4

Thomastown v Setanta 2.00pm Sport TG4

Tullogher v Castleblaney 1.30pm Sport TG4

RTE2 showing the Boro in camogie all Ireland final on Sunday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hogans heroes

Best of luck to all 4 teams ,must be a long time since a camogie team have reached the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The line about helping out Roscommon’s Hurlers. He was with them for about 3 weeks in January and did nothing.

Offaly Camogie had a terrible couple of years.

Not to be completely negative about it because he’s one of the best players ever to have played, but I’m not sure he’s ready for the Ballyhale Senior Hurlers manager role yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Neewollah

To be fair Ballyhale are so good they can cover up a lot of bad management

From what I'm hearing this headline might be a bit premature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Can’t see Ritchie getting the Ballyhale manager job, maybe as a selector but then again Henry done well with them when he went straight in from his playing days with no experience.

If Ballyhale can get Ronan Corcoran, Joey Cuddihy, Brian Cody, Joey Holden and Colin Fennelly all fully home and fit by next September they will be like a new team.

You’d hardly need a manager over them.

Advertisement