Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting around Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

Totally agree, if only there was some sort of bridge and outer road to take most of the traffic that does need to go near city centre out freeing up city center roads for cycling and buses (like they do in Netherlands places you quoted above)

Quincentennial bridge is in the city center as the city and county grew by quite a bit population wise since it was build and will continue to grow as per our population projections which imho are too optimistic and we will wildly overshoot them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

That's an interesting geographic perspective.

So crossing the Quincentenial Bridge, which is 1.2km from Eyre Square, means you are "pass(ing) through the city center", but if we get a new bridge, 500m upstream from the Quincentenial and 1.7km from Eyre Square, that one will be "far from the city center".

Where getting into 'These cow are small, but those cows are far away' territory here. For the record, we have three bridges that can reasonably be described as being in the 'city centre' and a 60km/h dual carriageway leading to a monster roundabout with no pedestrian crossings is not one of them.

The Galway bypass bridge was meant to be wayaaay past the quincentennial bridge which literally goes through what is now the center of Galway University at 1km from Eyre square

It depends on your definition of 'wayaaay past' I guess but, if going through the University grounds is your new criteria for city centre, it's worth noting the Ring Road bridge (not a bypass, remember) is also planned to go through the University grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Last I heard we were coming in well under the population growth estimates too.

It's been said before, and it's worth repeating, that if the ring road was part of a comprehensive plan that involved reallocating city road space to tram/light rail, bus lanes, cycle lanes and pedestrian priority, etc. simultaneously, then much of the current opposition would disappear. But no one who has seen recent developments (or lack thereof) in Galway in recent decades can honestly believe that will happen as a consequence of the ring road. A classic example is Salthill. We can't get a cycle lane there because a vocal cohort of Galway citizens view parking spaces right at the sea front as being more important than road safety. How is a ring road going to change that? Or look at the scandal that ensued when College Road was made one way temporarily, which is the classic method of providing more space for other modes of transport. Do you think that, once a Ring Road has been built, people are going to suddenly agree to making Kingston Road, Taylors Hill, Dr. Mannix Road, Monivea Road, etc. all one way?

This argument is used by cynical figures (Galway Chamber, I'm looking at you) to try to make the Ring Road sound like the key to unlocking a shift to other transport options in the centre. But we all know that as soon as actual proposals are put forward to restrict motor traffic they'll be objecting like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

Yours is one of the few scenarios that would benefit from the GCRR. However that is only 7% of peak time journeys according to their own data from 2012.

According to Goggle maps going from Oranmore to Knockancarra is approx 50 mis at peak times. But between 18 - 24 off peak (I used middle of the night!)

But even with the GCRR looping around the city which is approx 12km added to the drive from Oranmore it would still take 15 mins in the very best scenario - assuming its 120kph motorway all the way.

40% of traffic within Galway stays on its own side within the city. They are never going to use the GCRR.

If reliable public transport & active travel options were available for these commuters, then the current N6 'bypass' would cater for most of those who do have to drive over the Corrib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

in your best scenario of 15mins, that would be 15/25mins throughout the day no matter the time.....all it takes is one accident the city and then it is gridlocked. hell even wet weather it gets grid locked. when SHTF, you could be an hour and more getting from one side to another.... i could be half way to dublin in that same time if starting in oranmore.

have issue how they came to that 3% where those pneumatic vehicle counters are never on the rat runs. Plus that 3%, is what exactly the HGV's that serve Connemara? if it is then wouldn't it be wise to take HGV traffic out of the city? Wheres the traffic stats that goes west cause the only way there is through the city or up via clonbur.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I'm not being rude, it's a good debate, but stats from 2012 would be too stale now. Roscam and Oranmore have developed massively since then.

Parkmore has increased hugely in terms of employees since then.

And also, a lot of people avoid making the journey, due to the time it takes.

I've always argues for more public transport links to the city centre. I'll take the bus or train into town from Oranmore as often as possible, but if you took more cars out of the city via a ring road, then public transport links would improve immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,188 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Globally, more roads attract more cars. The issue is about moving people, not cars.

@CuriousCucumber "but if you took more cars out of the city via a ring road, then public transport links would improve immediately"

I think 'could improve immediately, but only if specific action is taken' would be a more accurate assessment. The plans submitted by TII and the two Galway Councils specifically predict close to zero increase in the share of journeys taken by other means of transport after the ring road is built and also predict that car traffic will actually increase on many city centre roads. As it stands there are no plans at all to use the ring road as a catalyst to improve public transport links in the city.

It's also worth noting that you don't necessarily need to provide new roads in order to improve public transport links. We have a clear example of this in Dublin where re-allocation has greatly increased capacity without the provision of new roads. And before anyone starts talking about the Port Tunnel or the M50, the point is specifically that the likes of the north and south quays and Abbey Street carry many more people into and and out of the city centre now that space/priority has been reallocated to the Luas, buses and bikes, and car use has decreased by more than 50%. More people can get where they need to go by re-prioritising existing roads, it just means fewer of them will be getting there in cars, and willingly so because the other options become more attractive for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

You're not being rude at all. I absolutely agree that these stats are too stale now, however these are the stats that were submitted and are being used to develop the GCRR. I would suspect now while the volumes would have increased significantly the traffic pattern percentages within the city would be broadly similar but the big exception of those travelling in to the city from outside.

You are also correct that Parkmore has increased employment but if this was the only employer for residents of Roscam and Oranmore then we definitely wouldn't need the GCRR as they are in very close proximity. The reality is as the economy grows the city as a destination grows, attracting more employees, students, residents, tourists and visitors. That is currently piling more traffic in to the city. The GCRR will not help to alleviate that and would probably make it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

After this was published a straw poll carried out by a neighbour suggested that it's total rubbish.

He couldn't find one person who was questioned during the survey. I drive through Galway every day on route to Oranmore - I never saw a survey.

I have no idea how this particular survey was conducted but having it described as a survey doesn't mean there was a form to fill in and people were questioned about their travel patterns.

A much more accurate way of doing it would be to actually track number plates at the city boundaries, and at the four bridges, for a week. I think it has already been suggested earlier in this thread that this was the way it was done but that it would underestimate the frequency of some journeys if it was only done on the main roads and didn't capture traffic rat-running down Letteragh Road, or through Menlo, for example.

Why didn't your neighbour just look at the report?

They bought GPS data from a 3rd party, which was the most comprehensive dataset available in Ireland at the time. A bit more scientific than asking a couple of lads down the pub. Some of them might even have been part of the dataset used. Your neighbour might even have been part of it for all he knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭timmyntc

That trip information was not captured by surveying people. IIRC correctly its based on modelling, traffic counters, census demographics and national transport survey.

Unless you think its all made up?

If so why would Galway's city council make up traffic results that actually hurt the business case for their ring road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭what_traffic

"

It's been said before, and it's worth repeating, that if the ring road was part of a comprehensive plan that involved reallocating city road space to tram/light rail, bus lanes, cycle lanes and pedestrian priority, etc. simultaneously, then much of the current opposition would disappear. 

"

Beautifully put.

The Taoiseach was recently talking about "freed up space" in Galway if the Ring Road is built.

Perhaps Leo Varadkar did say

"I look forward on the day the Ring Road opens as Galway City will be able to add 3km of Bus Lanes from Newcastle to Moneenageisha overnight before the Ring Road opens; along the Quincentenary Bridge - Sean Mulvoy Road to Moneenageisha. The upgrade of this vital public transport corridor is just one step of reducing car usage in Galway City once the Ring Road has opened."

Any other examples of statements for Leo - where he and his colleagues can give examples of the reallocation of the freed up space.

Think they are referring to the Service Duct lanes built over 30yrs ago now along the N6 that Council rebranded as cycle lanes 10years ago when they were removing the MultiLane Roundabouts on the N6? Still one roundabout to go behind UHG. For some people out there throwing up a couple of signs and marking these service duct lanes is somehow big spending on cycling in the City. Ha ha ha. There is a beautiful delusional metaphor in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Well if they are service ducts, they’re stupidly wide for that purpose. What would satisfy you if these “service ducts” aren’t up to your preferred spec?

When I first started cycling that route to work I did wonder why all the manhole covers were installed in the 'bike lane'. It used to be dreadful heading eastbound, with a surface like a corrugated roof, but that's been improved since, thankfully. I think the point about them having been surface ducts is mentioned as a counterbalance to the ridiculous claims by some that Galway has invested heavily in cycling infrastructure, when that is plainly not true. The majority of it is rebadged existing infrastructure, like these service ducts, or just painted lines. The latter includes what is widely considered to be the worst 'cycling lane' in the whole country (Doughiska).

smooth even surface, should be thankful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Quite clearly not even given the ups and downs for every entrance/exit, but you knew that.

don't see any bumps/holes, which is what ye complain about in other areas.

It's not even just that. If I drive down that road I have to yield 3 times at pedestrian crossings with traffic lights. If I cycle on the bike lane I have to yield at those three traffic lights plus an additional 15 other minor entrances etc. Then the cycle lane disappears completely at 4 separate bus stops, with no dropped curb to get down onto the road, and instead some have markings indicating that remaining narrow strip of footpath has become a shared space for people on foot and and bikes to mix, which is absolute madness. And at the Castlegar GAA end the bike lane just ends suddenly at a high curb with no way provided to get down onto the road.

So faced with a choice of a slow, uncomfortable and dangerous obstacle course of a bike lane, or just staying on the road when travelling by bike here, you can guess which I choose.

• Advertisement

That is what they are. Ya can take it or leave. I can only presume the roads engineers who did it over 30yrs ago made the footpath and service duct(finished with tarmacadam not concrete; there is a clue in that) the width it was designed to be to allow service motor vehicles drive and park on it so as not to impeded car traffic flow on the road carriageway - so very weird for you to be complaining about this! ha ha

Galway City Council in the 2016 Galway Transportation Study gave themselves a "D" rating for the Doughiska Road - which was only built in 2008/2009 That photo was taken the year in September 2009 if memory serves me correct.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I am a failed cyclist, due to some physical problems I just can't get around galway with the cycling facilities as they are. The up and down off paths and constant manhole cover issues have meant that pain issues I suffer with get a hammering. Cycling on the road would be the logical option but I don't travel at a speed I'd feel comfortable or confident mixing with motorised traffic.

As such I am mostly a pedestrian and have walked all areas of the city and my observation is the motor vehicles most assuredly get priority, I've no problem with that, my problem is that any other option to travel in the city feels like it gets third world funding, the difference is shocking

"

Building the ring road will free up the city in so many different ways for pedestrians, for cyclists, being able to use road space much more efficiently for these people.

"

Taoiseach promising lots of free space today in Moycullen for the bypass opening there once the Ring Road is been built? Do I believe him? Maybe Galway City Council did not get the memo. Weirdly Taoiseach made no mention of what is to be done with the freed up space in Moycullen now that bypass is open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭rustyfrog

Will they install the Salthill Cycleway once the ring road is built...? Try get them to commit to any actual road where their voters like to park or get priority access.

• Advertisement

cyle lane shouldn't be on the prom

top of the hill on bishop O'Donnell rd down onto threadneedle road, on dr manix rd and headed out to sea road. covers the schools which should be a priority and this i could stand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

100%. That could easily be joined up with Millars Lane and Kingston Road, possibly through the Golf Club.

Unfortunately, it’s a bit of a logical idea so it’s hard to see the cycling “campaigners” going for it and letting go of their trophy of the prom.

Yeah but when the ring road is built then there'll be space for both, right?

Genuine question, why shouldn't it be on both if there is space on both?

I'm reminded of a comment by one of the City Tribune journalists a year or two ago that there was no need to provide bike lanes on the Kingston Road because there are already bike lanes on the WDR that people on bikes could use. I wonder would he take the same view if there was a proposal to, for example, put a bus gate at either end of Kingston Road and Taylor's Hill, which only let residents and buses use those roads. Would the point of view that drivers can just use the WDR gain traction, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

100% correct. The prom is a family destination. You need parking available at destinations, it's simple.

Without parking, you make the prom a restricted access point, only available for individuals, or families living within the vicinity.

Unless of course, there is a thorough tram services available, which can give any access to the prom, faster than if they were driving.

Say there is a family living on the Cappagh Road with 3 children, aged 2, 6, and 8. How are that family expected to access the prom, without parking being available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Public transport works best for regular commutes, typically for work, study, etc.

Very few people use it for leisure because those journeys are more unpredictable and multi person.

That's why roads with schools or workplaces on them should be a far higher priority for cycle lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Reliable public transportation works for commutes. If you live in Galway and need to be in work at a specified time, for example if you’re someone who’s paid by the hour, you can’t use public transport to get to work. I tried it several times years ago and it just wasn’t reliable enough so I drove every day instead and sat in traffic for 45 minutes.

Most of people using busses in Galway were people who clearly had no jobs. I can only imagine the situation is worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

I would love to see a multistory or underground carpark at Leisureland where there is so much unused (Council owned) space, a few disabled spaces along the length of the prom, and a carpark at either end of the prom (there are already a few in the village end, and there should be space at the Spinnaker end). Free up the road not only for active travellers, but also so that the beautiful view of the prom and bay can be enjoyed, rather than just the view of the cars along it. Wishful thinking, I know.

There are a few people in our society who genuinely have to park immediately adjacent to their destination, and these people absolutely must be provided for, but the rest of us can walk short distances from carparks to destinations. It reminds me of peoples attitudes to parking at the door of the supermarket

@CuriousCucumber "100% correct. The prom is a family destination. You need parking available at destinations, it's simple. Without parking, you make the prom a restricted access point, only available for individuals, or families living within the vicinity."

I'm confused. You're describing a situation where all parking within walking distance of them Prom is removed but I'm pretty sure no one has ever proposed doing that or anything even remotely close. Even the cycle lane plan that was torpedoed last year retained three quarters of the parking. You're hardly saying that if people now have to cross from Rockbarton Road instead of parking on the sea side, or have to walk from Salthill Carpark to Ladies' Beach, they are being prevented from visiting the Prom?

Also, if we're concerned about people who don't live in the vicinity not having access does that also apply to the 20% of Galway households that don't have access to a car? And does it apply to the even greater number who live in a household with a car but don't themselves drive? (I'm reminded of my own teenagers who rely on buses to get them to Salthill on sunny days during the summer.) This is a significant percentage of the population of Galway which is already restricted from accessing the Prom today, never mind some hypothetical restriction from a relatively small reduction in parking places at some undetermined point in the future.

Any point west of the river within Galway city limits is less than a 20 minute bike ride from the Prom. Even Roscam is only max 30 minutes away. If you try to travel to Salthill on a sunny day you know you are going to be lucky to get a parking place, and may end up having to walk quite a distance, or doing multiple loops between the two roundabouts hoping a space will free up. Then, when it's time to leave, you're likely to be stuck in a long tailback, or you need to cut your day short to try to avoid that. Imagine instead knowing that 20 minutes after leaving home you were going to be sitting on the sand and, no matter what time you decide to leave, you would be in your door 20 minutes later. If you look at the bike parking on the Prom on a nice day you will see many people are already taking that option, but it's only a fraction of the potential because so many people are too concerned about their safety if they take to Galway's roads on a bike. If we provided safe routes for them to cycle we could be giving another transport option to all those Galway residents who don't have the option of getting there by car.

@CuriousCucumber "Unless of course, there is a thorough tram services available, which can give any access to the prom, faster than if they were driving."

How did you arrive at the conclusion that the only viable alternative to driving is a tram? Are buses and cycling just not suitable options for people who own cars? I get that buses and bike facilities in Galway leave a lot to be desired currently but surely improving them to a level, where they are useable for many more people than they are now, is much more easily achievable than building a tram system?

@CuriousCucumber "Say there is a family living on the Cappagh Road with 3 children, aged 2, 6, and 8. How are that family expected to access the prom, without parking being available?"

I can think of a number of families I know personally who already do this journey by bus and/or bike.

The 410 gets you from Cappagh Road to the Prom in less than 15 minutes on a good day. On the downside it's only every 60 minutes and finishes early in the evening, and will take longer in traffic, but then so would a car.

A cargo bike would be perfect for this, and there are four families I know in the Knocknacarra area who have gone from 2 cars to 1 car + 1 cargo bike for their daily transport needs, but there are even more accessible options. You could have the 2 younger kids travelling on child seats (€50 approx. each) on their parents' bikes. Or you could have the 6 year old on a tag along bike (from €80 for a connector for their own bike or from €130 for a complete unit) behind one of the parents. An 8 year old can cycle between the parents (front and back) for 15 minutes. Some people are already doing this but many more are deterred by safety concerns. Think how many more could do it if safe infrastructure was provided. Think how many parking space could be freed up if people didn't feel compelled to drive when they only live a short distance away.

The 410 is a poor link between Knocknacarra and Salthill. If you're in the new estate on upper Clybaun Rd, it's a 26min (2km) walk to get the bus that frequently doesn't show.

Public transport is the key part of solving the transport problem but it needs huge work across the city, the money and energy should be going into that, not the ring road.

• Advertisement

I'm sitting on a bus right now.

Almost everyone on it looks like they have a job that they're heading home from.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

At 07h00 this morning, it was all workers on the bus going to work on the Salthill to Parkmore bus. What was annoying was the 06h40 #401 was cancelled this morning from Salthill. AHHHH. At least it was dry waiting at the bus stop but bus services have vastly improved in the City in comparison with a decade ago. We still need more shelters and increased bus frequency on routes. Once Cross City Bus Connects is in action can only see bus usage amongst workers, students and other citizens increase in the City. The far more difficult situation ahead for Galway City is getting people from the surrounding towns into buses.

The case of the disappearing 401s is chronic! I cant count the amount of times I've had to turn around, load up the kids in the car, or hailed a cab, because buses due and listed on the TFI app just disappear off the listing, and when one eventually passes its too full to let us on.

I've been told its because they cant hire enough bus drivers, but if that's the case, don't pretend the bus is coming and then just ghost us!!

Good to know alright - should have checked the app before leaving the house, I need to get into this habit - the info helps greatly though.

Once I knew at the bus stop I just walked into town and got bus from there. Better than waiting at the stop; so the app is great to have even if the bus does not show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Transit is a great app for public transport.

Galway City's draft Climate Action Plan is out for consultation, if anyone on here wants to make submissions on bike lanes, buses, parking, or non-transport related, but climate-related issues. We should draft a submission together 😂

This one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thetransitapp.droid

Thanks for that. Hadn't heard of it before but looks great. TFI app is a bit of a pain to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

That's it.

BE are expanding a number of their regional services next week, goodness only knows where they're getting the drivers from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,188 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I see Cllr Crowe is calling for the College Road/Lough Atalia Road racetrack to be re-instated ☺️

Advertisement