Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone aware of a new Ryanair boarding card policy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭John.G

Nothing to do with checking in on line but noticed a big change at TFS last evening, flying to Cork, while checking in 2 X 12kgbags with all ready paid for and allocated seats, couldn't check in until 2 hrs before the flight which made for no queuing, far better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Flying 7.30 in the morning with Ryanair, checked in just now , digital boarding cards issued for me and my son no problem.

But i guess we have checked in with loads of time to spare, so maybe its the late comers tonight/early tomorrow morning who might run the risk of not getting their digital boarding cards.

Post edited by andrew1977 on

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Correct.

I checked in for a flight back to Dublin yesterday with 3.5 hours before departure (so 1.5 hours before closing) and I got my boarding card. So I suspect it's either 1 hour before closing or a specific number of people left. Might also have to do with the airport. I can imagine where RA have few flights they don't want to pay the extra handling costs, but where they have people staffing the desk anyway for lots of flights, they might not mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Innisfallen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If they ban priority boarding fees, then the cost of priority boarding is added to every ticket. And my ticket gets more expensive.

I don't see how that's a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

There's a difference between a fee that you can't avoid and one that you can. While the whole "priority boarding" gambit is in practice farcical a lot of the time, it's an optional extra and one that I've never bought unless part of bringing bags on board

• Registered Users Posts: 37 joebert80

Well the cost of your ticket would then be more comparable to other airlines which would be good for competition... At the moment, Ryanair often look cheaper before you factor in the additional charges.. Id prefer if there was consistency in pricing approach so that I only have to look at the headline price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I haven't had additional charges for a long time, they are by far the cheapest,we are lucky to have them in Europe, whether you are flying with them or not the prices are low because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I think it's something of a myth that they are by far the cheapest. I'd like to see independent analysis rather than anecdotal accounts. Ryanair isn't making its large profits on the basis of most passengers paying pocket-money fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The Sunday Times did an article on this a couple of months back - and Ryanair were indeed by far the most likely to be the cheapest - something like 80% of the routes they checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

It’s their low cost base that enables them to be the cheapest, which they are by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In my experience they're often cheapest at worse times than the competitors, dearer at similar times. Obvious reasons why to price like this when you have multiple frequencies.

Recently they were the dearest by far on BCN-DUB, even outpricing Iberia business via MAD. you can guess which option I chose. The filet mignon was nice.

My partner will not fly them under any circumstances after an incident in MAN; I will but only if it makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

RA fares from all Irish airports to Alicante were really high last summer and again for the schools mid term break in October. Not so much the outgoing flights, but the returns if not booked ages in advance were off the charts. Approx 300-400 euro just for one flight, plus the extras. Your return with extras could easily have cost 500 plus euro. Just to fly to the sun. Flights that only a few years ago would set you back no more than 250 tops. Very sneaky to hit people on the returns as people have to come home. Nothing "low cost" about RA these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You can fly home with any airline though, if any others are cheaper.

Ryanair don't do return flights as such

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Yes you can. But what if you have your car in the airport? And it's not like Ireland is flush with airports or we're spoiled for choice!

RA may not do "returns" but fly to Spain on a school mid term break and you'll have the same people travelling back with you as went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Won't work. Cabin crew go through the aircraft with a tablet/pda like device with a seating plan and will move passengers out of seats that should be empty "for weight and balance rules". Saw them move someone from an empty premium seat last week.

Fly to the same airport? With a different airline?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sadly that's not Ryanair's fault. Demand for the ALC route is off the charts. Ryanair often fly 3 times a day on that route during the summer, as well as once or twice a day on their Murcia route.

Aer Lingus dropped Murcia and downgraded ALC. Not because of low demand, but because they prioritise their routes that feed TA traffic. They dont even fly to Alicante from November to April despite all year demand.

There's just no competition anymore on the route and demand is well in excess of available seats unfortunately. There was talk of Vueling taking on the route but that rumour has died.

Post edited by faceman on

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Just booked a return to London nect Tuesdsy €28 total, honestly you wouldnt buy a lunch for thst monry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Good golly, where on earth are you buying your lunch??

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Flew back from Newcastle non priority with them this morning, checked in no problems whatsoever yesterday ?

Ryanair are great.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Return ticket Dublin to Belfast on Bus Eireainn is the same price.

Flying at lunchtime Tuesday, would usually wait till 9/10 am that morning.....might just check in Monday evening, I don't really care about middle seats for a 25 min flight! Better then (maybe) queuing in the airport!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

On the subject of Ryanair overselling flights I have been flying out of Stansted once a week for a few weeks and recently have been using the gates that need the shuttle rather than in the Ryanair part of the building. In these gates it's very easy to read the screens due to the way the queuing works.

I've seen agents boot up the Navitaire software showing flights had 190 passengers showing at the top of the screen three times on a 737-800 so they are certainly overbooking even if very very slightly.

Checked in for tomorrow's flight, one window seat and one aisle seat randomly allocated, boarding passes issued

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d rather be charged more money and travel made more convenient then be charged less but having to jump through more hoops.

all the options now it’s just a bit of a 🤮

make flying easy, not more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I recommend moving to the Middle East.

here are complications with that of course, but the service from Qatar Airways is hands down the best I've ever experienced. Amazing what you can do with cheap oil :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement