Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gillen will often 'kick' you out of the immersion, which Keoghan hasn't done, so far. When Gillen played Dave Allen, for example, he completely messed it up.

And he's hopeless with accents.

Also, when he played Charlie Haughey... that was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm not sure I'd say he started off well, but I do remember in the early days of his LLS tenure, he tried to pick up the baton from Pat Kenny and make a passable attempt at being an actual journalist. It was a bad idea from the off. That Brian Cowen interview and a few others, really showed him up for the lightweight he is when it comes to serious current affairs coverage. Cowen toyed with Tubs and made him look like a schoolboy with dreams of a political career asking some "tough questions" of a former TD who's visited his school. It was embarrassing. Trying to take the moral high ground over Gerry Adams was another cringe behind the sofa moment. Ryan Tubridy, the boy prince of Montrose, sticking it to Gerry Adams, who then turned the tables on him by asking him about his own ancestor's IRA involvement! lolz

3 or 4 years in, we did begin to see a move away from the old LLS format and the beginning of the real Tubs era where things became far more sanitized, controversies were avoided and a noticeable focus on fluff content was chased. My reading on that would be that Tubridy himself did indeed understand his limitations and moved to change the show to accommodate those limitations. That in itself wouldn't be a cardinal sin. He had to try to do the job as best he could. The main problem for me was the huge focus that kicked off with promoting NKM clients, often to the detriment of other, far more worthy topics. Anyone who paid any attention to the Tubs era could see that there was a marked decline in interesting guests with interesting stories to tell, a long time strength of the traditional LLS. Instead there was a huge increase in advertising and sponsor promotion, NKM clients visibility and a perverse inclination to heavily lean into the famous misery slots that Tubridy believed would give him sainted status and contribute to high ratings figures in the absence of anything else that could be described as quality TV.

Would certainly agree about PK's natural curiosity. If nothing else, it usually leads to an individual who will be present and engaged in the world and will be able to speak from a position of knowledge and experience. That is always requirement No1 for any tv or radio host imo. If a person's job is to ask questions, why would you give that job to a person who isnt really interested in hearing answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, Mark used be gorgeous. Now he looks creepy…and that’s being kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

I remember when TT were huge in the 1990s, and it was Mark that all the girls in my class wanted to date. Thirty years on, and he's definitely the one that the years have been least kind to (not that I can talk, the 40s haven't been kind to my appearance either...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Mark Owen has had issues with drink and issues with his marriage, must have taken its toll.

Also, apart from The Wire, Aidan Gillen is pretty much terrible in anything I've seen him in. The man has no range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Tubridy was trying. He was stepping in to the LLS knowing it took effort. Pat Kenny was better with politics, for sure, but Tubridy was trying.

And then he got lazy. And as you pointed out, started to try and avoid anything that took effort, even if it caused controversy. (And Controversy often gets people to tune in.) But the controversies kept pouring in, without much effort.

There were dog crap episodes like the one where Amanda Brunker got botox (paid on your dime) and a musical guest was literally left sitting in the green room because the botox/ plastic surgery element went over time. And she had a new album out too. (Xpose, which was still airing, did botox every week, so why was this so important? Brunker was probably with NK at the time).

Then we had guests cancelling, and the absolute dross he made of an interview with the lass from Derry Girls, an interview that was cut short cos he screwed it up. And the controversies kept rolling in (singing Irelands call instead of the national anthem, and no Irish flags when celebrating the return of rugby. Is the national anthem and Irish flag that offensive now?) The Toy Show kept featuring less and less toys. But inflated Tubridy's ego. And the misery... jesus, did the misery POUR in... Tubridy just bathed in it.

Kielty addressed Ukraine and Gaza with one statement, in one show. If it was Tubridy, it would have been the entire season of shows. (Remember how he opened the show one time telling us all about the people who had died from Covid that week or month? Then followed it up with an interview with a player who was talking about suicide. Misery upon Misery)

I've looked crap since I can remember, so I cannot judge. They were still getting ladies attention on the night. Many who are probably close to their children's age at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Aye but a decent stylist \ look might be able to cover up some of that 'toll', but the way MO sets himself out makes it more obvious. That's the weird part for me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,597 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Iz ze licky!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ffs 🙄

"The undisputed queen of Irish comedy."

Funny, that doesn't look like June Rodgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

State of this

• Bottom

of

the

barell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I really liked him as Dr Hynek in Project Blue Book on the Syfy Channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What is the accent? I love it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The success of Vogue and Joanne's podcast has completely passed me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I could have sworn she was only on the show a few months ago with Vogue??

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

If your new GF ever tells you she's going to a Joanne McNally show, walk away.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

'Late getting into comedy'?

You never arrived love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's a woman thing and they are more than welcome to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

My ears.....

• She has a lot of legs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A woman thing??! I’ve never once listened to their podcast and have no desire to….I’m a woman :-D

Ms

Is that a Meath accent?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ah come on paddy ye were off to a good start the last few weeks, but this!!!??

Tell me when its ok to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

How in the name of jaysus would anyone sit and a room and listen to this sh!te for 2 hours?

Also why do some guests feel the need to wear a belt for a skirt when there's no table in front of them? The front row must be getting a great view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Whose the horrendous shouty in pink ?

She didn't say 'What's Occurring?' 😊

• Advertisement
    Ms

She has two. The same as any other human with all their limbs.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement