Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Roundup is not banned.

It's approved for another 10 years. But it's also under derogation which means it can be pulled from the market by the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IFarmWeFarm7615

Good idea and easy done, a few people also mentioned to just simply drill a hole right through the hinge ( bar inside a bar ) on one side and push a bolt through both locking it in place when opened. Weld a wee chain on that bolt so it’s always there.

For some reason i tackle jobs that takes days to complete yet other simple easy things that take a few minutes to sort get left on the long finger 🤷🏻‍♂️🙈.

This is the week they’ll be done 😉👍

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

@IFarmWeFarm7615. I noticed that too. On my similar gate here, there is a swinging tab that hooks onto a flat part with a notch cut in it. That holds the gate open. Simple but works very well. One on other side too.

In PIC, A hooks onto B. 2nd pic shows it opened.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Never seen that before! Looks fairly simple to make up.

Fair play for the pics. I can sense a fabrication video coming now👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

https://youtu.be/ZZiV7I3lSU4?feature=shared

3.33mins in. A great invention from the great inventors that are the Murphys of Unique inventions based in Kilkenny. Have 2 of these and they are a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭visatorro

Interesting watching olly Harrison with the min till. I think everything has to get round up. And struggled to sow this autumn.

I'm not an expert, would ban on round up be a bad thing for min till in Ireland?

They reckon a ban on round up would make min till impossible in Ireland. But there are alternatives such as upping boron in a solution. Tillage fields would be low in Boron anyway as the om is not there to hold it. But whatever the cost of boron would be? I've also purchased an organic weedkiller by the name of Wipeout. I haven't used it yet.

The suggestion of a payment for farmers to not use glyphosate was seen as an attack on glyphosate overall and an embarrassment if it was there and some took it up and others who atm tell all they're all for environment didn't. So it was hammered to me that it would be better for them that no such payment be brought in. But it seems the option is there in France now the home of the militant farmers.

That’s what I need to do for the back of our pit. Some thinking behind that invention too.

@kk.man No DVD’s didn’t work, i even tried a Westlife cd to see would “ flying without wings” give them the hint!

Gonna get a bird of prey decoy to see how that works, but it’s just odd that the radio worked perfectly for two years and has zero effect this year. Maybe they’ve grown to like Pat Kenny 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

There is options out there like weeders/hoes that I assume would work in a min till situation but like everything it’d boil down to money as there’s robotic/ai ones I’ve seen probably more for crops other than cereals and I know there’s bare basic units out there that’d do the job but how efficiently without crop damage is up for debate. The biggest thing would simply be time spent weeding as I assume it would have to be done regularly till the crop closes the rows.

the organic beet I pulled was weeded with a armer hoe but was still had a strong weed presence

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭V6400

I got one of the bird prey decoys this year, didn’t make any difference. Anyone try the plug in sonic bird repellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Waste of time. Tried them in the stud farm where I work and made absolutely no difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭straight

I just got a Larsen trap. I'll have to wait and see how that goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭jaymla627

30 acres of uncut barley beside us and 1000's of crows/pigeons feeding out of it, usually their up here destroying the maize but none yet, when the barley rums out I'll need a machine gun to keep them away from the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I just put a Larsen trap into the sheep house yesterday morning as I was being ate out by crows, caught two in it yesterday. Dispatched one and left it on top of the trap, kept an eye on the cameras this morning. Crows still entering but not hanging around, so maybe onto a winner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Danny healy ray

there is only one thing for the crows and that's the shot gun they get so paroined that if you put the handle of the pike in the air there gone like a rocket !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭straight

I have a shotgun and an air rifle. They are paranoid alright. They make sure not to let you get within 30 yards of them and they watch from a distance until you are gone.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

i have crows that fly into my milking parlour and make a mess. I was thinking of buying a manikin and kitting him out with cloths to keep them away. I’d move him every time I’d be passing. I don’t know will it work but worth a try I’d reckon.

• Advertisement

Can you put doors up, before you get the neighbours talking?😃

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I thought you said mankini when I read that first and thought you definitely need to put doors up before the neighbours see you walking around in that 😂

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It works with bales left in the meadow, so should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

I hung up tarpaulins to keep the crows and birds out of the parlour while the cows are dried off. Roller door would be the solution but a costly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

The hawk kites seem to get good reviews. Harry's Farm set them up in one of his videos. I've also seen them on rooftops around Dublin recently, I assume to try and keep the Herring Gulls off them.

Never seen one with crows in the area, so no idea if they just end up mobbing the kite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Recommend that everyone on here watches this video:

C4 done a programme on British beef which was an ill informed hit job. This is Harry Metcalf's response.

I watched that last night. He has the voice and authority for TV alright. He always reminded me of Jeremy Clarkson and then, on one of his videos it shows him standing up chatting to Clarkson at a farm machinery auction.

I was at the Johnstown Castle soil health open day last year. They have measuring devices called eddy covariance towers that measure the gases in whatever field they happen to be in.

The figures they had for the cow herd and I think the beef herd were they were sequestering carbon on top of the emissions from the herd.

Where were RTE or Ear to the ground or John Gibbons or Ella McSweeney? Not there. There was myself, arable farmers and soil researchers. A German soil researcher had to ask twice had they the recorded figures. The Johnstown Castle speaker replied they have them recorded.

I'd encourage anyone talking to any Teagasc representative to release those figures to the media and not just a couple of groups of fifty walking around a rainswept field in Wexford.

• Advertisement

This is a great watch. I've no interest in Sheep, but I like watching the sheep farming channels.

Advertisement