Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9" Cavity Block u-value ??

• 07-12-2023 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help with an aproximate u-value of a 9" cavity block please ?

I'm just looking to do heatloss calculations

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Hopefully this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I would imagine that air circulation inside the cavity block itself would reduce any U value to little or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Actually, I think it will be "concrete hollow block", so 2.4

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

On the 300mm cavity, is that the total width of the wall with a cavity?

I've recently had the pleasure of coring through the block walls and that's more or less the width of the wall.

Interesting how pumping the walls make it 0.6 no matter the age of the house.

Mines in the F category. Suppose it's because it's got about an inch of aeroboard on the inner skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

I believe S.R.54 has concrete cavity blocks as 2.09 W/m^2K as a baseline value. I'm not sure where post 3 replies come from, interested as it looks like its from an official document, that makes its R value 0.48 m^2k/W. That said, I found a few values, and it may depend on the density of the block? I think Part L TDG may give a different value though.

Depending on how accurate you want it, I'd say the most accurate way would be to calculate the R-value of the section of of block thats concrete through and then the R value for the sections that are concrete+air+concrete inside to out. That could be calculated by getting the depth of a section and dividing by the thermal conductivity (lambda or K value, units of W/m.K). ie R=L/lambda, then add the percentage of the different R values and derive the U value? or just use the 2.09 or if there is something available in Part L?

I have found lambda values for concrete at 0.9-1.0 W/m.K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

I should say to clear something up, S.R.54 says the baseline U-value for a hollow block is 2.09 so the R-value would be 0.478.

The value from the DEAP manual says for age A-E, a U-value for a hollow block is

2.4 so the R-value would be 0.41

Not much of a difference, and as its given as the U-value, that has to be the complete path for heat to cross including the air space.

I realise different blocks will have different values, but you would think the DEAP manual and the NSAI document (S.R.54) would be aligned, ie that DEAP would take its values from NSAI??? Who wrote or controls DEAP? I'll go and see if I can download the manual??

S.R.54 mentions a baseline value, DEAP has a range of values

BUT, I am wondering, why the older age categories show the U-value reducing in the DEAP extract, i.e lower thermal transmittance, therefore supposedly improving in thermal performance??? am I missing something here? or it's because it's an extract?

It looks like an error???

Produced by the SEAI. DEAP is the BER software AFAIK.

No idea where they got the numbers, but thats the numbers the BER assessors use unless you can prove otherwise (via documentation)

Page 158 for the first table, 157 for the Age table. Its somewhat based on what would have been building code at the time of construction.

Advertisement