Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

That the tunnels exist is beyond question, that's for sure, and neither is the fact that Israel build the original tunnel(s) but there's different opinions about the actual sizes and locations. Some mention the figure in hundreds of Kilometers big as the London underground even. Like I've repeatedly said, we will have to wait and see, but there's one thing for sure, whatever Israel built, Hamas extended them.'

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StarryPlough01

@tayto lover

Re your reply to Ulixes

"Yes your attempt at deflection, by even mentioning the other occupations, does not disguise your efforts to have the last remaining doctors who stayed with their patients and reported at first hand the pain and suffering inflicted on them is a disgrace. But it didn't work. Poor effort."

'UN Security Council 'complicit' in Gaza 'slaughter': MSF'

AFP / 08 December 2023

https://today.lorientlejour.com/article/1360273/un-security-council-complicit-in-gaza-slaughter-msf.html

"The UN Security Council is "complicit in the ongoing slaughter" in the Gaza Strip and must vote Friday to "lift the siege," the medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said.

"UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres convened an emergency Security Council meeting after two months of fighting, which has left more than 17,000 people dead in Gaza, according to the enclave's Health Ministry.

"MSF said the council must demand an immediate and sustained ceasefire and ensure unrestricted aid into the Palestinian territory.

"To date, the inaction of the United Nations Security Council and vetoes from member states, particularly the United States, make them complicit in the ongoing slaughter; this inaction has given license to the mass killing of men, women and children," MSF said in a statement.

______

Tayto lover - reply button not working at the moment (got a window with pink background saying 'problem' - but I'm sure problem will be resolved)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Is the US political system so in hock to Israel that it can no longer keep Israel in check? 

Short answer: Yes.

Israel is only country in the world which has a relationship with the US in which it holds all the power, not the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I think you are right. Not sure how else it can happen right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Yeah sorry I wasn't alive during WW2. The joy of being young?

More killed in Gaza (17k) than Kosovo (10K), with 81% displaced in Gaza in about 2 months. We still have like 9 months to catch up to that 90%.

To match the 40% civilian death toll in Bosnia and based on 17k civilian deaths in Gaza, you would need 25k dead Hamas.... do you really believe that?

You quote civilian deaths, my original point was the ratio of Children killed. In Gaza that's around 40%. I can't recall any war where 40% of deaths were children. I'm talking as a direct result of bombing etc... not over the years via disease and starvation (Gaza has a lot more death to deal with unfortunately)

• Advertisement

But why would some international body intervene if it's a just war and only Israel acting in self defense?

And as some have pointed out..... only a 'small' number of civilian casualties?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

I see that the US has cast its veto in the Security Council calling for an immediate ceasefire.

What I wonder (if anything) might US have got in return for covering Israel's back?

Just a verbal commitment from Israel along certain lines that have not been made public?

What I wonder would be the consequences for Israel if US abandoned Israel in the UN?

Would she have to live with a Hamas that would probably speak for the Palestinians as a whole?

I don't consider one age group of innocent civilians to be more important than another. All innocent civilians killed are exactly that, doesn't matter what age they are.

I didn't post numbers of civilian deaths as some kind of comparison, and I didn't realize they had to be within your personal memory. You said you didn't remember a war were civilians were the majority of the dead. I pointed out they are, or mostly 50/50.

you seem to want this war to be worse then others, it's not, they're all bad.

I don't think the US got anything in return from Israel, it's just the US has backed Israel for so long they can't not back them despite what Israel are doing.

• Advertisement

No but when the civilian deaths are disproportionate on the side of women and children and not 'men of fighting age' it lends credence to deliberate targeting of civilian populations. If you drop a random bomb in Gaza, it would be hard to get the ratio's the IDF are getting, unless those bombs land on hospitals and refugee camps etc... places that mainly women and children would shelter in.

This is not a war.... it's a slaughter of innocent Palestinians.

Do you really think Israel is under imminent threat from Gaza and do you believe Israel are acting in self defense and limiting civilian casualties?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

If US has no influence on Israel's behaviour(I think it does) then maybe they are motivated not to abandon an ally and thereby call into question their commitments to other allies that they have or wish to have.

I also wonder what would happen if the States did abandon Israel .

I think Israel would still fight its corner(and receive support worldwide)

This one? Quite possibly with Gaza being inhabitable and the West Bank fitting onto a postage stamp.

Kinda like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,563 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So on Wednesday this thread was dominated with discussion about rape as weapon of war, on Thursday it was dominated with discussion about Gay rights, and yesterday it was dominated with discussion about the trustworthiness of Drs.

Well played in all who achieved this.

A master stroke in deflection and refocusing of the discussion to limit conversation on the continued brutality of Israel as it once again shows chilling similarities with the experiences Jewish people suffered 80 years ago and Palestinians in Gaza today.

Whether its the US and UK representatives at the UN security council preventing a resolution to call for a ceasefire, German officials having people declare the Jewish state having a right to exist as part of immigration procedures, US Congress passing a law that says antizionism is antisemitism, US congressional hearings reacting to 3 Palestinians shot in Vermont with giving Jewish students a platform to say how hearing protests calling for a ceasefire is triggering for them, the BBC referring to a murdered poet as a 'controversial writer' or the posters on here who managed to focus the conversation away from acts of Genocide, you're all doing the same thing and doing so depressingly successfully.

Israel is a rogue state, carrying out a genocide, its able to do this in part because of all those above. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StarryPlough01

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said:

7,000 Children have been killed by Israel in Gaza and 4,000 women

This is a picture that I've looked at before and always taken a moment to reflect on what it represents.

It is an art memorial on the shores of the Danube in Budapest, Hungary that represents the memory of the Jewish people who were massacred by a fascist militia 79 years ago this month.

Now, and in future, whenever I see or think of this memorial, which is very powerful, I will also think about the following image.

This was taken this week as IDF soldiers entered Gaza and arrested hundreds of men and stripped them almost naked, including their shoes before binding their arms and taking them away.

Israel PR said that these were all captured Hamas members except within hours reports emerged identifying some of the people as being journalists or even 1 working for a UN organisation.

Israel is doing more to erode the empathy people across the world has/had for the Jewish people and their historic suffering. I have a strong hatred for people who are using the fact of that suffering to excuse the Israeli PM, Government and Military behaving in ways which are very similar as to how those who persecuted the Jews enmasse behaved.

I've said it on here before, I'll say it again, that there are evil people isn't a surprise, that unfortunately there can be a time when a large group of them meet in the same place and gain power which allows them to act out their evil intent. That this would happen in the same lifetime of many who survived the persecution of Jewish people last century to see their own country speaking of and behaving towards another community in the ways we are seeing, is a surprise. Underlined by the fact that the Jewish people who survived the intent of the Nazis did so using the phrase 'Never Again' as a promise/hope that such suffering would not be experienced again.

But the worst and most depressing thing about these realities is that now, the persecutors of this intent in the 21st century, is the Government and Military of the Jewish state. And their biggest supporters are countries who watched what was being done to their people in the past and said that this must be stopped. Whatever the cost, it must be stopped. - Yesterday, these countries, the United States and the United Kingdom refused to call for Israel to halt the death and destruction it is inflicting on the Palestinians in Gaza.

John Hume, (RIP) a man who millions in Ireland should be thankful for is someone who would no doubt have had very strong views and opinions on what is happening and has been in happening in the middle east.

He was one of the architects and instigators of the peace talks that brought about the Good Friday Agreement and in acknowledgement of his work he shared the Nobel Peace Prize with his Unionist counterpart, David Trimble. He also won the Gandhi Peace award and the Martin Luther King award and consequently was the only person ever to win all three.

Aside from all his work during the process that led to the Good Friday agreement, some of his words during his Nobel acceptance speech when he said that 'Difference is an accident of birth' caught my ear. He went on to say that difference should be celebrated rather than feared, but it was these first 6 words that struck me and that I've often thought about.

The message in the phrase 'Difference is an accident of birth' is that often it is no more than because of where we are born or who we are born to that dictates who it is that we become. In Northern Ireland during the troubles, a baby was born in to either a Protestant or Catholic background and so the die was often cast for what their views would be, and how they would be viewed, for the rest of their lives.

Without saying this directly throughout the 80's and 90's John ultimately convinced people to see that there was nothing inherently wrong with people or to be feared about them but rather because of the circumstances of their birth they were being seen as being of a particular lesser worth or of a greater evil value. He was able to help people look beyond these forced circumstances to the individuals that were beyond them and to consider the type of world that was possible for all such people.

It goes without saying that an acceptance of this in the Middle East would be best for everyone involved, Jew, Arab, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, and whatever else, but alas there is close to zero room for this sentiment in the area right now. But the point I did want to make about Hume's words was in relation to the current Israeli PM.

I have no doubt that if people like Nethanyahu or others in his party and military had been born and lived in Nazi era Germany in a non-Jewish community then they would have supported the practices of Hitler and his party. It is one of the greatest curses of religion, the amount of death and suffering that has been executed in its name on a foundation that has little more to do with anything other than the accident of birth that found people on all sides living their lives with the hands they were dealt rather than being free to plot their own destiny. The same goes for other religious fanatics, but watching Nethanyahu scream about antisemitism in the UN for having the audacity to investigate war crimes by Israel and watching how he has behaved and spoken about Palestinians really made me think of him in this context.

(As a side note, imagine if someone Like John Hume had had the ear of US Governments and Presidents for decades rather than the man who did so in Henry Kissinger, I think its fair to say we'd be living in a much more peaceful world)

This probably makes sense in your head.

No one is justifying bombing children.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Do you think it is ok to bomb children if it results in the deaths of Hamas fighters and commanders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

Good to see a few more European states back the ceasefire last night, shameful stuff from the G7 members.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why does the responsibility for a ceasefire seem to fall entirely on Israel? Why isnt anyone calling for hamas to stop firing rockets, to stop the genocide rhetoric? People have short memories if they can't remember that barely a week ago, it was hamas who broke the ceasefire, it was hamas who didn't honor the terms of the hostage release, not to mention, it was Hamas who started this whole fight in the first place and they openly say they will do it again over and over. If there is to be peace, they need to stop also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

hamas released a video earlier showing the dead body of a hostage who had clearly been tortured and mutilated, and then blamed Israel for breaking his hands and arms and gouging out his eyes before killing him. But God forbid some suspected terrorists have to strip to their underwear to check for weapons or bombs. War crimes! Why are Israel held to such different standards here? Again, a ceasefire has to come from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Because Hamas are Angels. Its only self defence when they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And todays agenda is Israel = Nazi. Been a few days since this was wheeled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

Do you think calling for a ceasefire only applies to Israel ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

"Why are Israel held to such different standards here?"

Well generally, if you believe that your enemy is so bad that they deserve to be wiped out of existence, then it is obvious that you must hold yourself to a higher standard or logically you deserve to be wiped out of existence.

Israel is one of the world's most powerful nations militarily. The fact it could destroy all of Gaza and everyone in it in the space of a week means they hold every Gazan civilian's life in their hands. They control everything they have access to and have done so for over a decade. This means they have to hold themselves to a higher standard.

This is really basic stuff. You can't subjugate millions of people until they attack and then justify their complete destruction because of that attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hamas will not accept a ceasefire, so people don't bother asking them, it would be like asking them to tolerate the existence of Jews, gay people or independent women.

It's so opposed to their belief system that to even ask would drive a wall of anger and violence from them.

While thousands of Gazan civilians are being killed in indiscriminate bombings, this constant posting describing why they deserve to die is rather crass.

The amount of Islamophobes who have co-opted this war as an avenue for their lust for Muslims to slaughtered is kind of amazing. It's so blatant as well talking about their beliefs and about how they're inferior because of IQ etc. And the sheer audacity of them to cry about antisemitism while they're masturbating to these videos of dead Muslim children.

• Advertisement

Yep, this is what Israel has done. Made comparisons with their greatest enemy valid conversation.

Right wing media in the US yesterday led with a townhall column saying 'there are no innocent Palestinians'. This was exactly the rhetoric used by Nazis to justify their killing of Jewish children.

Advertisement