Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I for one thought that was quite a good show, I’ve always been a fan of Joanne McNally, I recently started listening to their podcast and it’s just a very light hearted thing to listen to on the way home from work.

FWIW calling someone all sorts because of how they dress says an awful lot about the person saying it…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭applehunter

Comedy is in trouble.

This is what happens when it becomes a closed shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

McSkanger has a yellow knickers on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just on Joanne. Is she labeled a comedian? Because anytime I have heard her she just seems to talk absolute shite. As in kind of not even attempting humor. Very odd!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just seeing that Ryan O'Neal has died

Who could forget his appearance on the Late Late a few years ago 😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Folks must have switched off before Marian Keyes and Tara Flynn...

Don't blame them-they profess to be allies, but turn a blind eye to folks doing nasty stuff in front of their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Calls to have someone tell ”a decent story” is what landed us with the “my cat died and my toe is falling off” slot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I clicked into this after finishing watching something actually entertaining on Netflix, to hear Marian Keyes exclaim "she has no problem with getting old"

The woman is 60 and is so full of plastic she looks like she's 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

Cats dying and toes falling off aren't decent stories though are they? The guests and the reasons they're on are for the most part dire at the minute. I started watching the Late Late again after Tubridy left but after a promising start it's gone downhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Artic explorers with no toes usually have good stories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

That's true! Theres got to be more interesting people out there than what was on show last night. Problem is it might actually take a bit of research to discover them and I'm not sure if there's anyone with the smarts or work ethic in RTE to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Just get interesting people on, academics, charlatans, quacks, poets and throw in some clergy and politicians like the those classic gaybo episodes had.

Celebrities laughing at their own rehearsed stories is tiresome even if it's on Graham Norton.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dara O Briain has been one of the top dogs on British TV shows for more than a decade.

Kind of proves your point.

Approved humour is all they trade in.

Yeah it's bad, when I'm flicking through the channels I punish myself by always stopping on live at the apollo just to see how low we have sunk

Looks like missed this amazing TV

He discussed life at home with wife and presenter Laura Whitmore, why he feels Irish weddings go on for far too long and joked that the spelling of "Aoife" was designed to test people in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah is Laura Whitmore's husband supposed to be a comedian? He reminded me of a slightly less camp and less funny Scottish version of Jack Whitehall 🫣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

He was awful, she is worse. Cannot fathom how she ‘made it’.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

I think he's more famous for narrating Love Island than his comedy. Once Love Island starts to fizzle out (and that's already started), I imagine Laura will be gone in a shot. Someone once described her as "Looking like someone who doesn't care if a man already has a girlfriend" which I thought was a brilliant way of describing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

I remember that I can't remember now what he said but it was definitely compelling viewing and one of the few times Tubridy actually had oddball guests where you didn't know where the interview would go. That probably scared Tubridy and he doubled down on only having safe predictable guests on

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Well, he had Mary McAleese on for his first night, which surely indicates an intention to retain some of that seriousness. But I agree that it definitely wouldn’t be a return to Prime Time-style debates. More like the Sinn Fein special Claire Byrne did - lots of audience interaction, diverse voices, a roving Patrick Kielty.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The last 2 Late Late Shows were mostly awful ... the likes of Joanne McNally, that Luv Islander and Dancing With The Stars is pure Ryan Tubridy ... who the hell is pushing these guests?? ... I thought the likes of Noel Kelly's influence was gone out of RTE .... no it would seem .... when will RTE ever get away from all this air head drivel ?? .. That McNally one was typical fake, affected mod celeb of the kind Tubridy used to feel comfortable around ... might as well bring Tubbers back and all as nothing has changed ...

Her and tonnes of other such guests are woeful ... they come across as affected, fake and very Tubridy fodder material ... it is time we moved on from these people .... 2FMers, Luv Islanders and the like ... they are terrible and have not one thing interesting to say ...

Why are we still being shown this type of rubbish?? ... Last night's show typifies all that was WRONG during Tubridy's era and represented a typical bad Tubridy show ... there is no point changing the host, the set, etc. when this drivel continues to dominate ... I remember certain people were complaining about the Northern Ireland guests on PK's earlier shows ... I know now who they were ... these people who were on last night's and the week before's show ... the RTE canteen and imbecile brigades ... also IIRC some producer was forced out and replaced with a more RTE insider type a month in ... in other words we went from Patrick Kielty presenting the Patrick Kielty show to Patrick Kielty presenting the Ryan Tubridy show !!!

Same here ... I feel they got rid of the first producer and replaced that person with someone from the Tubridy era because the show has gone down that road again ... Joanne McNally was awful and that push of Dancing With The Stars was more pure Tubridy ... all we need now is another upsurge of the pandemic called Imelda May ... Imelda May used to be good in 2008-13 but she seems to be turned into another creature like happens in the pandemic themed The Last Of US TV series ....

Post edited by lumphammer2 on

• Advertisement

I think this culture of Airhead celebs needs to end ... Joanne McNally and a Luv Islander ... this sort of thing was introduced during Kenny's time and perfected by Tubridy ... now Kielty's show is copying Tubridy 100% the last 2 weeks ... I thought RTE were getting away from all that ... but no ... this will not win back a people alienated by Dee Forbes' extravagant era where brainless fake 'stars' of the McNally kind were pushed to the hilt at us ...

As someone else said ... there is plenty to discuss ... bring on these psychics, mediums and shamans of all kinds and let them be grilled and questioned ... have decent discussions on intelligent topics and have proper guest on ... I have zero interest in McNally saying she is doing some show while drinking wine ... well for her to be able to make money drinking wine and having no work to do ... or that she is not interested in getting married ... ones like her come across as so fake and affected ... I have zero interest in smut like Luv Island and in the continued flogging of the dead horses that are Dancing With The Stars and Ireland's Fittest Family ... and I am sure First Dates Ireland and Operation Transformation will be back to torture us even further ...

The bottom line is the last 2 weeks of this season of The Late Late Show ... apart from the Shane McGowan tribute part ... rank with the worst of Tubridy's era ... this is not a place the show should be if right was right ... I feel the era of 'celebs' is over and the only future for a good Late Late Show is a discussion based show on topics ... and that does not mean today's politics but entertainment related topics like the history of 1950s/1960s rock 'n' roll, the JFK visit to Ireland, the importance of Irish music on the development of US music, classic film directors and their best films, classic books and how they predicted today's world ... Clockwork Orange, Handmaid's Tale, 1984, etc. ... the topics that could be discussed without encroaching on PrimeTime territory are endless ...

Advertisement