Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Isn't there 2 Murphy Trailers, one in Tuam, Galway (Aerlite) and one in Gneeveguilla, Kerry.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

There is or should that be was? Murphy’s in Kerry are closed with a couple of years. It’s a pity as they made good trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

The aerlite are a better trailer than ifor for my money. The ifor are a sheep trailer as far as I am concerned. The ifor are the best finished and very easy pulled but the stuff is not in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

True. If I was moving big cattle regularly I wouldn't have bought one. They have a tendency to spread with big bullocks or bulls. But for sheep and putting cattle in it 6 or 8 times a year they are lighter pulled and as you say better finished.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Murphys Gneeveguilla were a company that weren't quite big enough to keep up and modernise fast enough as far as i can see. They hadn't a license for decks in some of their trailers there at one stage, and never caught up with the newer back doors either.

It's a difficult racket to make money in I'd say.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

I didn’t know that a licence was required to manufacture/fit decks on a trailer.

Do you know what type of deck system Aerlite have? Or @Packrat do you know anything about their decks?

I think it was something to do with the overall weight of the trailer.

All publicly sold trailers have to have their design certified in fairly minute detail. It's a slow and expensive process >€100k if I remember correctly.

That's why no manufacturer will make specific customer modifications to their design for any customer.

I know almost nothing about Aerlite, we don't see lots of them around here but I hear they're good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The last new Aerlite sheep trailer I saw (less than 3 years old) was fitted with lift out decks and the old style 2 piece ramp the same as the Porter,Hamilton ect. I've never seem an Aerlite with folding decks or the easy load back door type setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Test being read this afternoon. Pull-ups started letting water in earlier so I’ll have to source a pair before then. Rain has been awful here all morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wasn't too bad here,,weaned the last of the suckler calves earlier. Meeting daughter for breakfast now

This will possibly be an unpopular opinion but I disagree with using slurry as a means of protest. Slurry isn’t something to be thrown around public spaces where it must flow and be washed into water drainage and spread pollution To me this act borders the lads burning busses and the luas and that’s not a good look

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Where was that? Today is 8th of December traditionally the farmer's Christmas shopping day...

It’s quoted as being French protest against farm taxes

i tried to link the tweet but boards blocked me doing that, hadn’t noticed that before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah it's in France. They were blowing dung in over walls into government buildings yesterday too. The French don't hold back when protesting

I’ve been through French farmers motorway blockade before. They are well organised indeed.

just the whole slurry/dung thing I wouldn’t support at all. That does nothing, you can be damn sure the politicians they are protecting through won’t he cleaning it up, just ordinary working folks like themselves.

Clear test thankfully. Rinse and repeat every 4 months 🙄

Was just on Twitter there and this “space time ” thing was suggested, some sort of a live chat

holy crap such a load of auld right wing rubbish I’d never heard the likes of. Saying that if the next election doesn’t go their way then the fifth commandment is out the window at protests, all guards are corrupt etc etc, And of course they’re taking part at the Farmers Alliance Twitter account.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m inclined to agree. They’ve been spraying slurry for a few years now and the shock factor has worn off. The media might still report it but it won’t grab people’s attention like it did the first few times.

And as you said, it’ll be someone on minimum wage who’ll have to clean it up while the politicians can now distract from the real issues by talking about how they’re worried about their own safety, the need for extra security, etc.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Did any of ye watch Shane MacGowan's funeral cortege and Mass at St. Mary of the Rosary church in Nenagh. I told OH the other day that I was taking this afternoon off.

I thought that the PP was a little startled but in fairness he kept the religious aspect to the fore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On ready mix in small quanties up to 3 meters I do what lots are doing now is collecting it dry from the supplier and mix yourself. Its about 20-30/M cheaper than full load prices along with no surcharge. Really easy to mix straight from the trailer into the mixer. Concrete is now getting so expensive wasting is no longer an option. 15N is suitable for walls.

I never knew about the steel fork trick until about 15 years ago. It was a lad that worked in the UK. Some man to dig graves. And the handle is steel as well.

Your arrogance is showing, I have subcontracted my own house 30+ years ago, subcontracted the cattle shed and bought it in below the department costing in the late naughties and I have done up and old farm house as well as other building projects. The farm house cost about 50k it was taken back to four walls, new roof, new insulated floors, PVC windows, kitchen, stove, rewire replumb new stairs. Its a two up two down now it's rented. No engineer, no architect no drawings. It was completed between 2015 and 2017.

I do not think I be entering the building game at present but my son intends to start building next year.

I telling you what he is charging. Actually trade charges are starting to stagnate and may drop in the new year. The heat seems to be leaving as builders are tending not starting new projects.

Very few are putting blocks wall around d houses at present because the cost is getting too expensive. Even walls along the front of houses are disappearing.

If the foundations are in a straight line it's no problem. The difference in foundation costs would be 7-800 + euro. Trick is a good man on the digger. There were lads here saying you needed a full load of readymix and nobody seems to be getting there knickers in a twist with them.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Broke a spring in our own Ivor William trailer last week and haven’t fixed yet and got a loan of a friend’s new tri axle Nugent trailer to move sheep, super trailer with sheep decks easy to put in place and ewes load a lot easier that the Ivor trailer, well made and easy pulled. This is his second one and moves a lot of stock with it from marts and to the factory and says it’s way a head of the Ivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭50HX

Remember doin foundations for a wall here with my grand uncle in the early 90's, mixed by hand & stones were used as a filler as well,as long as they didn't touch each other he always said there was plenty of strength in it

With the price of concrete now these methods for certain jobs will come to pass again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IW have one great advantage over other trailers they are a good bit lighter. I bought a new 10X5 nearly a year ago now. It's a super trailer. The previouone I had was nearly 15 years old. They are also excellent to hold there value.

White being lighter compromises them one way they are definitely easier to tow. The new 10X5 has larger wheels and hubs which makes it easier tow even in and out of field's

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I still do that, putting stones into concrete for foundations around piers or other small concrete jobs.

Any little help is good when you’re mixing with a shovel.

I saw my grandfather and grand-uncle at it 30 years ago and just copied them. It saves concrete and gets rid of stones.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was at it. Very long but well managed. Poor Johnny Depp tried to sneak out the side and 50 girls started screaming and running towards him with their phones. Good crowd out afterwards last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Anybody on here have any experience of starlink broadband? In the back of beyonds here and if we ever get fibre I'd imagine it will be outdated by the time we do. Giving 55e a month for pretty much the only Internet we can get here and it's shocking bad. Expecting a baby in a few weeks and herself is going to be working from home a good bit next year by the looks of it so need to try sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Could anyone go into the church or was it reserved for invited guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Everyone could go in, if ye were there 30 minutes early yed be in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Michael D must have been there early, he got a good seat.

Took some organising and went off very well, very moving in places.

Advertisement